questions for Nevil on afghani and kush lines (the other grail!)

How about the difference in effect, taste, smell between Super Skunk, and Shiva Skunk? Witch one had the more knockout stone, and did you have a preference between the two?

Super Skunk - Appropriate Name Indeed

I had a friend who grew the Shiva from 91 or 92 stock and it was fruity as heck. Sour pineapple taste sour apple smell. Medium lime green buds with bright thick orange hairs. It's the one when you would start smoking it you would not want to put it down.

The Super Skunk another friend had at the same time required him to live in the middle of a cow farm in western maryland but you could still smell the garden over all the cow shit outside of the house. This was not the kind of ganja you puffed alot of. The Super Skunk (from 90-91 stock) my bud had was 1 hit quit. It was the stuff that you would take a hit of it and forget you were holding the bong for twenty minutes. Very light lime green buds with thinner hairs with less colors. I have NEVER smelled stronger ganja aroma then this plant. Sour Diesel is about half as noxious. When my buddy would come to a house with 1/4 ounce in his pocket if they had central air conditioning in the home you could smell skunk everywhere in the house within 15 from the bag NOT from smoke. Super Skunk was very hard to grow because of this in the times before charcoal filters. 8/

KB 8)_~~

Confused about NL#1

NL#1 seems to be a very important genotype in many indica dominant strains. It appears to alway be used as the male, was it always a male or was a seedline developed from an NL1 female??

Confused about NL#1

When I first got the NL varieties, there were 8 types, 1-8.
They came with descriptions, which I published in my catalogue. These descriptions may not correlate with what later developed. The original intention was to purchase seeds from the US NL growers. It didn't work out and supply dried up. I kept the lines separate and inbred them. NL1 and NL2 stabilised into distinct types and NL5 only produced one unique individual.
NL1 was a full blood Afghan indica. One thick main stem, dark green leaves, modest yield with nuggety buds, a little coarse with good resin production, which when ripe went golden. The high was narcotic. The seeds ranged from tiny to massive. I used to love the big ones. Large fat heavily and darkly mottled seeds. Selecting for these seeds made this Afghan even coarser. It was fun to show people these seeds.
The best line of NL1 actually came from the smaller seeded types, better high and bud structure.
There weren't many pure indica lines around in those days. Big Bud, Hash Plant and G13 were pure indicas in my estimation, but were cuttings. NL1 was the only good pure Afghani male line I had.( there was Sams Afghani#1, but that was toxic in a bad way) The NL2 was a Kush.
I put the NL1 out there as a pure strain. I wasn't popular. People would tell me, "give me the pure strains", but if it cost them 10% of their yield they would complain, well try 50%.
The pure indica hybrids were more popular. NL1 x HP and NL1 x G13 were the best. At least people could use the word pure (very popular). But they were good!

I expect that a lot of people holding what they believe to be pure indicas today, would find, if the truth be known, that the sire line traces back to NL1.
N.

I've Been Wanting To Grow Ortega Ever Since Reading About It In The Spice Of Life Community. This Must Have Been 2003-04 When I Was Growing Sweetooth#3 And Adventure Mix Here In The U.K
Every Once In A While A Monster Leaved Specimen Would Pop Up And Suggestions It Could Have Been Ortega Were Mentioned By B.S
I Don't Know If Sweet Pink Grapefruit , Another Rarely Mentioned S.O.L Strain
( I'm Not Sure If This Was Obtained In Switzerland Whilst SOL Were There Making Their Seed ?? )
I Know He Used Island Spike ( Island Sweet Spike ) Which Actually Has It's Origins In B.C's Fraser Valley :rolleyes: In Many Of His Mixes.
Two Of The Most Popular Commercial Strains For Indoor Growing In B.C During The Late 80's And Early 90's Were Northern Light#5 ( Shiva Shanti ? ) And Dutch Treat. I Remember Getting My Sensi Seeds Catalogue Long Before"Mr Me"
( Marc Emery-bored ) Started Selling Intergalactic Strains :rolleyes:,lol
The Catalogue Not Only Displayed Your Genetics , But Also Sold Ebb And Flow Tables , Phillips SGR200 ( Son T Agro ) Lamps , Fans , The Lot:)
Everything Is Priced In Guilders
I'll Take An Image Of It:)
Now , The Mr Nice Ortega I Am Now Growing ( On A 12/12 Cycle From Seed) Growing Alongside Some Flowering Cheese Plants And Of The Seven Seeds I Germinated, I Now Have Four Flowering Females:cool:
Getting No Stretch At All
One Feed Of Bio Bizz Grow Before Adopting A Full Bloom Schedule ?
Need To Develop More Images
JKP:)

Attachments

• Mortega And Cheese- Sept 15- LST.jpg
    Mortega And Cheese- Sept 15- LST.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 38
NL2

Ok.. so it sounds like on purchase all the nl lines were actually different seedlots of the NL family... not cuts.

"The NL2 was a Kush."
I actually had for a long time a "NL2" cut from way back to the original seedbank days. Now afraid it only exists in an accidental girl on girl cross cross with the best neville's haze out of 50 which leaned heavily towares NL5 in strucutre... very small tight indica shaped buds.... drifting... now back to topic at hand why do you consider NL2 a kush and NL1 and afghan? the NL2 I had was extremely dwarfed structure and very quick finish 47 days 100% done on 12/12 with ideal room conditions. Why would this be considered a "kush"? for sure it was almost completely indica just not as heavy as some.. more fruit scents and bottom was not so deep were only difference imo. NL2 made h ash beyond anything in my group had ever seen (or still have many years later).. about an oz per pound of nugs just off the trimmings... full melt giant bubble action... several serious 20+ year puffers I know name this "the shit" that all others will be measure by.. it is for me. but I like to search on the heavier side of the tracks even though nl2 was pretty heavy already... turn that dial way over... into ortega country where NL1 sires roam free.

Last edited:
I've Just Resized These MNS Ortega Images Which Clearly Show A Pheno Or Two ( Man , What I'd Give To Own A Clonebox- T5 So I Could Veg Clones Taken From The Best Plants )
Do The Best With What You've Got , In My Case A Bud Room Set At Twelve, Twelve, In Which The Ortega Have Reached This Stage Already:)
So I've A Little Smorgasboard Going On Indoors Under My 600 Adjustashade
( 1200 Would Be Optimal )
Nice To Be Growing Indicas Again
JKP

Attachments

• 21 Sept- Ortega In Bloom-12-12 From Seed.jpg
    21 Sept- Ortega In Bloom-12-12 From Seed.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 220
  • MNS Ortega Sept 20 - 12 Hour Grow-Bud.jpg
    MNS Ortega Sept 20 - 12 Hour Grow-Bud.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 31
  • NL1 or Ortega- Female- Sept 20- MNS.jpg
    NL1 or Ortega- Female- Sept 20- MNS.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Ortega Manana- Sept 21- MNS Vigour.jpg
    Ortega Manana- Sept 21- MNS Vigour.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Ortega- Larry Smurf- Cheese- Sept 20.jpg
    Ortega- Larry Smurf- Cheese- Sept 20.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Cheese- September 20- New Sheeting.jpg
    Cheese- September 20- New Sheeting.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 32
Hey man, there are ways around the clone issue. A lot of plants will revert quickly if you treat them right and as they will already have a nice root system things go that much quicker the second time. Just a thought. ;)

Ok.. so it sounds like on purchase all the nl lines were actually different seedlots of the NL family... not cuts.
That's right OS. I did go to the States later and pick up the original U.S. NL5 mother and it was as it was described to me, part Thai. But my NL5 didn't seem to have any Thai influence. I spent a lot of time analysing the NL lines, in particular NL5.

I only saw evidence of two indica male lines in the NL series and that was NL1 and NL2. My best bet was that NL5 was a combination of NL1 male line and US NL5 female. I guessed that US5 was 50% NL2. Northern Lights 2x5 was the best that I could do staying within the line (pure NL).

Northern Lights changed the face of cannabis genetics (and many a smoker), but it was mostly through NL5. You've got to marvel at fate for dropping that one extreme plant into the lap of a budding seed breeder.
N.

I'm A Keen Revegger , Kingkill

Hey man, there are ways around the clone issue. A lot of plants will revert quickly if you treat them right and as they will already have a nice root system things go that much quicker the second time. Just a thought. ;)

I Can Reveg Blindfolded With One Arm Tied Behind My Back Kingkill:D
But Cloning Is So Hit And Miss
I Do However Have One Clone Kiwi Seeds Daddy's Girl( Seed Germinated February And Sexed Clone Went Into The Ground Around May) . It's Just Starting To Flower
Also; Image Of G.S Cut A Couple Of Months After It Was Thrown Away ( It's Now Budding )
Last Images Are Of Revegged Early Haze
All Done This Year;)
Nice One , And Thanks
JKP:)

Attachments

• Kiwi Clone- D.G- Trunk- Sept20-monstera.jpg
    Kiwi Clone- D.G- Trunk- Sept20-monstera.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Heliloggers- Old Growth- Use Wedges-S20.jpg
    Heliloggers- Old Growth- Use Wedges-S20.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Woven Kiwi Clone - Suburban Stealth- Sept20.jpg
    Woven Kiwi Clone - Suburban Stealth- Sept20.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Kiwi Korner- Sept20- Daddy Girl.jpg
    Kiwi Korner- Sept20- Daddy Girl.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 8
  • GS Critical Haze Refuses To Die- Sept20.jpg
    GS Critical Haze Refuses To Die- Sept20.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 10
  • As Sure As Cherry Blossoms - Early Haze 2.jpg
    As Sure As Cherry Blossoms - Early Haze 2.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Fully Revegged Early Haze- May22-010.jpg
    Fully Revegged Early Haze- May22-010.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Revegged Early Haze-May31-001.jpg
    Revegged Early Haze-May31-001.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Mommabent-Reveg Grapefruit-aug03-06-bend.jpg
    Mommabent-Reveg Grapefruit-aug03-06-bend.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Reveg101.jpg
    Reveg101.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Reveg DWC- And SSH- Nov12.jpg
    Reveg DWC- And SSH- Nov12.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 42
this is a great thread...Nevil you said that the NL5 was a real winner and an exceptional plant, Shanti has re-released it with the seeds from your old NL5 stock...i was wondering if you ever grew out some NL5 seeds from your stock and if so, what did you see in the IBL progeny...again thanks for the thread and all your input on the forum, you are a true legend

You'll be lucky to get Daddy's Girl to finish in the UK Joe, friend tried it with the DG cut we have and it wasn't done by the beginning of November and then it just turned to mush as it's so wet then. I'm pretty sure DG is just Power Plant renamed, it's very like PP, has decent potency, decent resin, decent bag appeal, decent taste, we keep it cos it's so easy to clone, so easy to grow and always produces bumper yields, so it's a good reliable plant to have around, but nothing special. One other good point is it's fairly mite resistant.

You'll be lucky to get Daddy's Girl to finish in the UK Joe, friend tried it with the DG cut we have and it wasn't done by the beginning of November and then it just turned to mush as it's so wet then. I'm pretty sure DG is just Power Plant renamed, it's very like PP, has decent potency, decent resin, decent bag appeal, decent taste, we keep it cos it's so easy to clone, so easy to grow and always produces bumper yields, so it's a good reliable plant to have around, but nothing special. One other good point is it's fairly mite resistant.

Thanks britishhempire
" Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained ";)
2005- North Wales- Chemo Haze
Joe:)

Attachments

• 2005 Memories Of ChemoHaze.jpg
    2005 Memories Of ChemoHaze.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Chemo haze and B13 seed.jpg
    Chemo haze and B13 seed.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 53
Question for Nev

Hey Nev,
Just wondering did you use the NL5 in the Fruity Juice cross you made for Sensi?

I grew out some of the stock you made, actually the only strain I've grown that you bred, and found a conical structured indica pheno in amongst the beautiful thai phenos which was the most narcotic substance I've ever ingested, knock out stuff,with very little smell and with slight visual effects like trailers etc.

This was before I took cuts from every plant before flowering, so I lost this girl, hoping to find her again, so could you point me in the right direction please mate? :)

Peace, GG

i had some Juicy Fruit from Sensi that a friend grew about 7yrs ago...honestly the most tasty bud i've ever encountered with a nice narcotic/euphoric stoning that would put a grin on the Grinch's face!

I made the Juicy Fruit. It was from a Thai collected in the '90s. It wasn't a great Thai, but it did have that typical Juicy Fruit smell and flavour. I cleaned it up a little and crossed it with a few indicas. I can't remember for sure which one Sensi sold. Probably the NL5, it crossed well with pure sativas.
N.

Perhaps my brain is full of bong resin and thc, but it seems to me I remember reading about an NL #9, that was supposed to be more thai dominant. I can't recall where I saw it, or even what year it was, but I think it was from some old adverts from the 80's.
Anyone else remember this, or am I just stoned? (Maybe mixing up the NL id #'s? )

well tony from Sagarmartha told me that the new NL#9 is a cross of an old Slyder pheno crossed with their new Indica XXL (tony told me he "believes" XXL is AfghanxHaze) so i'd stay away from the NL9 seeds available, they are nothing like the original NL9 Sag carried years ago but its now a hybrid of hybrids and not an IBL but the best that tony could find to purchase as replacements which are very disappointing by all the recent grow reports on Sag's NL#9 and basically all his other strains...peace and love

Back