Breeding techniques

Unclepeter, Ortega 1-3 are post-Seed Bank/post-Green Merchant continuations of Nevil's work by another dutch seed company (Dutch Passion, I believe?). I'm guessing they would have appeared in the '91 catalog, if not for unforeseen circumstances.

Hi Jim,

These Ortega hybrids were sold by a company that went by the peculiar name of 'Seed Bank Originals'.

They were based in Switzerland.

Ort#1 was Ortega Indica x Kush hybrid 1.2.

Ort#2 was Hash Plant / NL#1 x Ortega Indica.

And Ort#3 was Ortega Indica X NL#1.

Those lines were resold essentially by Legends and Terra Cava.

I believe Ed was implicated somewhere in this venture.

Peace.

K.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna have to get hold of some Ortega seeds, which of the MNS vendors has them in stock? Anyone know? I'm interesting in pure truebreeding indicas that are short and squat and early for crossing to my Colombian. Also, the Ortega isn't a sweet plant and there is nothing sweet about the Colombian so the two should compliment each other in taste with a bit of luck.

Well it is just that I prefer seeds made by a breeder than by a photographer.
Wise man! But Ed makes pretty good photos. I always liked the NL5 pic he made. The plant was grown by someone else. I've grown much better specimens, but Ed made a good photo of it anyway.
N.

Wise man! But Ed makes pretty good photos. I always liked the NL5 pic he made. The plant was grown by someone else. I've grown much better specimens, but Ed made a good photo of it anyway.
N.

attachment.php

It made the point well - resinous maximus northerns lightsus.

My latin sux.

Attachments

• TSB1990page281.jpg
    TSB1990page281.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,879
the few times i saw ed he always seemed sort of confused or befuddled? he reminded me of the absent minded professor for some strange reason, but a camera flash you weren't expecting can give you that face too. peace-biteme

N.

Anyway those seeds are out of stock since a long time.
I still have 2 packs of Ort#1 that were given to me.
Will maybe try them one day to see if they are worth...

Peace.

K.

seed size/shape and phenotype expression of a plant from it
I had a line of Hash Plant x NL1, it had huge almost round walnut shaped seeds. I focussed on this trait for a while. The plants were extreme indica types and produced less bud each generation. A line of different siblings from the HPxNL1 cross was bred with one thing in mind. Narcotic strength. After a few generations of focussing only on that, the seeds got smaller and smaller and the yield far outperformed the large seeded line. The total weight of seed that could be produced by plants of the two types was about 4 to 1 in favour of the small seeded plants. I'm not saying this is a rule, just an observation.
Another observation was that the strongest Nepalese I had had small seeds. They also had cultivated large seeded sativas, but they weren't as strong. Haze also has small seeds, even the NH, while it's grandmother NL5 had large seeds, 40 per gram.
N.

Last edited:
Hello all, could somebody please help me here. I have heard some people saying that longer budding males were more desirable. To me this never made sense.

In my experience, longer budding males tend to lead to offspring with longer budding females, and shorter budding males have a tendency to lead to offspring with shorter budding females.

The idea that somehow a male with overall traits that would be somehow "recessive" allowing overall superior traits to dominate in its female offspring, and that these particular males all seem to have longer budding cycles... Well that just doesn't make sense to me, and I have not seen evidence of that in all my years of breeding.

However, I have found even stranger things than this to be true on occasion, so while I remain very skeptical about the idea, I am not ready to dismiss it offhand.

Can anybody verify this? Has anyone else experienced this? The guy who originally said this, said he learned it from Shanti who learned it from Nevil.
Is it true Nevil? Is it really that simple? Should we all just try to find the longest budding males, because they are so called "recessive males"?
Generally, have your male clones all been the males with a longer budding cycle? Is there any truth to this statement?

Thank you.

I can't really relate to this story. "recessive males"?, recessive for what?
And why males?
N.

Yes I've read it. It sounds like someone has misinterpreted a theory of mine, but the late flowering thing is off base. You pick males that fall into the category of the pheno you seek. This varies according to type. I certainly would never have picked a late male EP in 20 gens. I also wouldn't pick the earliest NH male, wrong pheno.
N.

I will eventually get around to explaining my theories, but I feel that I have to cover certain areas first before I can move on to it. I tried to explain it on the phone to someone who is pretty bright. It took more than 2 hours and I still feel there is more to say. Doing this on the internet is harder than giving a talk to a group of people. Diagrams are more helpful than words sometimes.
N.

was this due to calyx size on the mother?
NL5 Had great calyxes, but seed size in general, didn't correlate as much to calyx size as much as I would have liked.
N.

Last edited:
Back