Breeding techniques

Could we start with inbreeding? I think this is most important to all collectors and breeders alike. I personally am thinking with my "MR NICE" Early Queens growing all seeds and doing an open pollenation for seed stock. Is this a wise decision for the common grower/breeder to do with a pack of your seeds?

this should be a great thread Nevil. let hope people use there search to find the section.;) lets start with something simple though. that way everyone can read something practical to them from the start and it can get technical later for the more advanced breeders. i think it will be easier for everyone to follow this way instead off novice breeders getting lost in the fort few posts & having to ask question over and over again. thank for this thread i think it will be really useful for people. its like a early Christmas present i like lots would off payed for this info in a book.:)

1:1 matings is something I'd like to address. People suggest that I'm creating a bottleneck and it's true. A bottleneck of quality. Seeds are usually produced by using two parents. With a 1:1 mating you know which ones they were.

As a seed breeder, the job as I see it is to ensure that the customer has the highest chance of producing a keeper pheno, whilst at the same time keeping the median a high standard. Every packet should produce top shelf plants. These guys who say you have to buy numerous packets of seed to get a keeper, crack me up. The job is not to save the gene pool, but to satisfy the guy who gave you the money. Few people want to give you money to save the genepool (but I am taking donations) Haha!
If I'm making Early Skunk and the mother EP has been chosen. Which Skunk male fathers the seeds does make a difference. Single progeny tested males is your best guarantee of quality and crop uniformity.

The job is not to save the gene pool, but to satisfy the guy who gave you the money.

Really? Wow. Just simply wow.

So who's job is it, other than the people who propagate the species, to protect this incredibly valuable genetic resource?

Stunned Nevil, really.

-Chimera

just interested but what can we do to protect the gene pool other than make crosses? it may not be the job but by making a cross arnt you protecting the genetics

i got a q when i find that perfect male, how can a keep him with out pollinating everything by mistake, do small carbon filters filter pollen???

While the individual genes may live on, unique gene combinations are lost with every successive 1:1 or low N population breeding scheme.

The only real preservation strategy, and responsible step (in the sense of preservation) is to open pollinate as many individuals from the original population as possible.

From there selections can be made and used for any other type of breeding scheme be it hybridization or within-line breeding, but the original pool, and all the alleles available in the initial population are still available for further selection in the future.

Most of the original unique populations (landraces or ancestral cultivars) have unfortunately been extremely bottle-necked and many valuable alleles have been eliminated, because the early breeders who worked with the species didn' realize that cannabis is an outcrosser and has different breeding requirements than most flower species.

Last edited:
So chimera and nevil where does this leave hobby breeders? If you are the type of person that wants to play around with breeding, but dont have the space or the seeds to pop hundreds of seeds to find perfect perfect parents, would we be better off using open pollination using multiple males, or 1 on 1 at the start of a project?

A gift:

Sweet mate'' - a thoughtful xmas gift yes,!

I must say i like your views on giving what the customer wants/needs, if a seedbank tried to explain to me i need more than a pkt of seeds to find a keeper etc etc, then yeah id find this most amuzing also'

Giving a customer what they want in a plant is exactly how i like to do things so far,it makes a person become much more creative, to make the best of the best is the attitude i like use, like many others im sure,!

and yeah, im sure il be back with questions upon questioned questions that inturn probably create many more questions for yourself aswel''

cheers'
bam.

Attachments

• stock-photo-green-energy-concept-on-white-64307308.jpg
    stock-photo-green-energy-concept-on-white-64307308.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 110
I think Nevil and Shantibaba compliment each other perfectly as breeders. I think where one of them lacks in certain areas, the other picks it up in spades. Between the two of them, I don't think you'll find a better case of preserving worthwhile cannabis genetics. That's just my take on it, it's called destiny, shit happens for a reason. I'm more than happy with Neville gearing his work on making sure I have a worthwhile pheno in my pack. I'm also equally pleased with the scale and sheer love of the plant Shanti operates under. If you call turning normal plants into the Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, so on and so forth of weed plants bottlenecking, be my guest. I choose to call them my personal heroes. If you think you could have done or could do a better job, get to it! I'll support anyone who has half the gull either of them had and still have.

Terence Mckenna - Optimism and Complexity

This video to me directly relates to this thread. Complexity leads to more complexity, it's how our universe works! Maybe this video will mean something to you.

YouTube - Terence Mckenna - Optimism and Complexity

Enjoy friends!

"Upon a platform of previously achieved complexity, new complexities can be achieved."

Last edited:
Really? Wow. Just simply wow.

So who's job is it, other than the people who propagate the species, to protect this incredibly valuable genetic resource?

Stunned Nevil, really.

-Chimera
I'm glad you're here Chimera. You can tell us how you go about things. I thought that you were the fem guy, but maybe you do other things to protect this incredibly valuable genetic resource. I'm all ears.
N.

Nice view on evolution ouchie, thanks for the link. Don't understand how it translates into breeding... do you mean that related to crossing hybrids increasing the complexity or something?

Last edited:
Growing while preserving...

My last flowering room contained 7 varieties for a total of 30 plants: EP/Sk, MK/Sk, G-Spot, SwB, MH, LN and NH.
I had just selected from the G-Spot the two best females and three best males from 30 seeds (the usual number for me).
I crossed the three G-Spot males to each females in the room.
In the end I have 6 interbred lines of G-Spot and 18 hybrid lines for futur inspection.

Peace.

K.

While the individual genes may live on, unique gene combinations are lost with every successive 1:1 or low N population breeding scheme.

The only real preservation strategy, and responsible step (in the sense of preservation) is to open pollinate as many individuals from the original population as possible.

From there selections can be made and used for any other type of breeding scheme be it hybridization or within-line breeding, but the original pool, and all the alleles available in the initial population are still available for further selection in the future.

Most of the original unique populations (landraces or ancestral cultivars) have unfortunately been extremely bottle-necked and many valuable alleles have been eliminated, because the early breeders who worked with the species didn' realize that cannabis is an outcrosser and has different breeding requirements than most flower species.

i like nevil's way of looking at it , call it bottlenecking or whatever you want , but when i see nevil and shanti's results i call it breeding out the bad traits and supplying each and everyone of us with only the best , i see nothing wrong with loosing some "unique gene combinations" if it is done by someone of nevil or shanti's qualifications , this way i know im getting the best that a certain plant/strain has to offer and none of the bad

i do understand what your trying to say though Chimera and have nothing but respect

peace

Back