• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

Who is the top 10 Breeders in the world?

Cool... Didn't know that, bigbag, but probably should have.

Now that ya mention it... I think I do remember seeing that somewhere previously. ;)

no 1 some guy on a hill in Jamaica
no 2 some guy on a hill in Colombia
no 3 some guy on a hill in Afghanistan
no 4 some guy on a hill in Holland

Huh?

No hills in Holland. :D

greetings

These are the ones ive used ,with my fav being sensi seed early 90.then serious seeds . Paradies seeds,dutch Passion,nirvana,flying dutchman,nevil n shant,still to try tga hopefully some spanish ,canadian and cali breeders to add to my list for future and last myself as im going to morroc. In sep and will return with some paki seeds as the hash from These morroc x paki reminds me of the hash of yesteryear and mix and Match with my mns libary.peace t

no 1 some guy on a hill in Jamaica
no 2 some guy on a hill in Colombia
no 3 some guy on a hill in Afghanistan
no 4 some guy on a hill in Holland

Huh?

No hills in Holland. :D

greetings

Hi all,
I can remember many years ago flipping through the pages of High Times and being taken in with the cannabis culture, the way it was presented in the magazine and in popular culture through Hollywood movies, music video's etc. Much the same as some of you out there today I suspect, its went on in one form or another since marijuana became a habitual hobby in mainstream underground culture.

After a decade of paying very close attention to way things are done in the industry, I can tell you that there is perception and then there is reality. Its easy to go suss through some authors top 10 list in a magazine publication, or spout of some names you've seen on the internet forum repeatedly in an attempt to name some safe attempts, but the reality is there are those who build the road and then those who walk on it. Sometimes the strollers get more credit than the men who actually built the road...

There are a small handful of lines which are the foundation for nearly the entire industry itself. These lines include Northern Lights, Skunk #1, Haze and a select group of Afghani/Hindu Kush plants. Some strains like NLxHaze have been pivotal in the creation of some of the most heralded lines of our times, and the breeding/selection work of those select varieties have laid the foundation for the industry as it is today.

But how many unnamed hero's weeded through those original big wig lines and further narrowed down the pool, selecting only the finest varieties and refining these small handful of lines to the point we are at today in cannabis cultivation? There are likely many unsung hero's who deserve mention, maybe more so than some of the talking heads mentioned in this thread? Perhaps many more?

One thing we know for sure is that Nevil essentially created the modern seed industry as it stands today, and its his work that has helped so many others build the industry from the point where he started in the '80s to a multi-million dollar industry for some today. His breeding on lines like Northern Lights, NLxHaze, SSH etc, etc. has to be credited.

Other lines which have been true pillars in the industry include White Widow, which is a line of course bred by our own Shantibaba. White Widow was one of the very few lines that turned a new leaf over for the industry, and has become as common today in the gene pool as any of the afore mentioned legendary pillar lines.

Skunk#1 is a line that really deserves as much credit as Northern Lights, NL x Hz or White Widow. While its origins are debated, it is widely believed Sam the Skunkman has a great deal to do with the line in one form, or another, and its a strain that simply can not be left out of any discussion about serious breeders in the cannabis industry today.

So we're looking at at least three men who are responsible for pillar lines, building blocks of the industry. Lines which are as common as a lighter or matches in any smoke shop from California to Holland.

1. Nevil
2. Shantibaba
3. Sam Skunkman

These three men can pretty much lay claim to having been responsible for a great deal of the foundational building blocks in the industry today, and I think a little more respect should be shown when mentioning random names with the likes of these gentlemen. Because there are those who walk on the road, and then there are those who built the road.

But the unsung hero has been weeding through these gentlemens work, selecting the best and continuing on for decades now. These lines have continued to narrow in scope through selection due to the efforts of the untold unsung hero's and they will always deserve mention right up there with the big boys. There have been guys behind the scenes working for companies like Dutch Passion, Sensi Seeds, The Flying Dutchmen etc. for years breeding, selecting, testing varieties who may not have a website, or internet breeders both, but who are just as responsible for getting us where we are today as anyone else.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I can remember many years ago flipping through the pages of High Times and being taken in with the cannabis culture, the way it was presented in the magazine and in popular culture through Hollywood movies, music video's etc. Much the same as some of you out there today I suspect, its went on in one form or another since marijuana became a habitual hobby in mainstream underground culture.

After a decade of paying very close attention to way things are done in the industry, I can tell you that there is perception and then there is reality. Its easy to go suss through some authors top 10 list in a magazine publication, or spout of some names you've seen on the internet forum repeatedly in an attempt to name some safe attempts, but the reality is there are those who build the road and then those who walk on it. Sometimes the strollers get more credit than the men who actually built the road...

There are a small handful of lines which are the foundation for nearly the entire industry itself. These lines include Northern Lights, Skunk #1, Haze and a select group of Afghani/Hindu Kush plants. Some strains like NLxHaze have been pivotal in the creation of some of the most heralded lines of our times, and the breeding/selection work of those select varieties have laid the foundation for the industry as it is today.

But how many unnamed hero's weeded through those original big wig lines and further narrowed down the pool, selecting only the finest varieties and refining these small handful of lines to the point we are at today in cannabis cultivation? There are likely many unsung hero's who deserve mention, maybe more so than some of the talking heads mentioned in this thread? Perhaps many more?

One thing we know for sure is that Nevil essentially created the modern seed industry as it stands today, and its his work that has helped so many others build the industry from the point where he started in the '80s to a multi-million dollar industry for some today. His breeding on lines like Northern Lights, NLxHaze, SSH etc, etc. has to be credited.

Other lines which have been true pillars in the industry include White Widow, which is a line of course bred by our own Shantibaba. White Widow was one of the very few lines that turned a new leaf over for the industry, and has become as common today in the gene pool as any of the afore mentioned legendary pillar lines.

Skunk#1 is a line that really deserves as much credit as Northern Lights, NL x Hz or White Widow. While its origins are debated, it is widely believed Sam the Skunkman has a great deal to do with the line in one form, or another, and its a strain that simply can not be left out of any discussion about serious breeders in the cannabis industry today.

So we're looking at at least three men who are responsible for pillar lines, building blocks of the industry. Lines which are as common as a lighter or matches in any smoke shop from California to Holland.

1. Nevil
2. Shantibaba
3. Sam Skunkman

These three men can pretty much lay claim to having been responsible for a great deal of the foundational building blocks in the industry today, and I think a little more respect should be shown when mentioning random names with the likes of these gentlemen. Because there are those who walk on the road, and then there are those who built the road.

But the unsung hero has been weeding through these gentlemens work, selecting the best and continuing on for decades now. These lines have continued to narrow in scope through selection due to the efforts of the untold unsung hero's and they will always deserve mention right up there with the big boys. There have been guys behind the scenes working for companies like Dutch Passion, Sensi Seeds, The Flying Dutchmen etc. for years breeding, selecting, testing varieties who may not have a website, or internet breeders both, but who are just as responsible for getting us where we are today as anyone else.

thanks camp i feel you are 100% correct. i feel the problem comes only with those that do not disclose their breeding. i mean original haze is what exactly? they wont tell us.

i prefer nevil telling us about haze A that was... or haze C that is...

why do we need to take all the other stories?

Last edited:
1. Nevil
2. Shantibaba
3. Sam Skunkman

Jesse,
I can understand why you would include these 3 guys as your favorite breeders.

For me, it would have to be the guys that came before them in the mountains from all over the world who have been selecting and growing for multiple generations that have my utmost respect.

It's the breeders who bred for the love of the plant, not the ones who bred for the money that came from selling the seeds and bud.

The no name guys in the mountains of Pakistan and India are the ones that have my respect.

Best Regards

sXi

It all depends on your perspective. The romantic notion of the guys on the hill is well and good and although I have respect for these kinds of people (especially the Thais), they were never going to get plants to my grow room. This is the difference for me.

I disagree with Jesse's comment that the guys on his short list are responsible for the "foundational building blocks" it's what they've done with those building blocks and how available they've made those genetics that is their greatest achievement.

Most the breeders mentioned I would also agree with. Nobody mentioned Mandala seeds though which I find kinda surprising...a breeder who has many strains derived from land race genetics.

i think not every breeder that deserves to be mentioned, will be mentioned...

That is the truest of statements. I think the best are the clandestine breeders who bred the dank (Northern lights,hashplant,big bud,trainwreck,Alaskan Thunderfuck) they are the real soldiers. Those were people who bred these strains under hard conditions. C.A.M.P raids. Snitches and Jackers. These are breeders in my mind. Not seed sellers in a Lax country And these people will never be known to most people. There not going to have there face stolen. Either way i believe the best breeders are people who are not in the spotlight,but were and still are on the Front Lines. JAH bless there souls. Lol That being said, i cant believe nobody said DJ Short. And i cant end this without mentioning Nevil and his contributions, they are invaluable. JAH Bless.

When only the Best will Do..

Feels odd to posting here are a short spell off line,let alone not gowing much shit, breeding and or growing must be the only safe addiction ive ever experienced to be honest,
Upon going indoors to gro i first followed and grew TONY's shit from Sagamartha seed company,-ie: highst sedds} from 2001 up untill 2008, big yielding plnats that did just aswell as clones, alas some of the intense skunk stones wernt as long lasting as hoped for, back then alota ducth variety skunks had this trait,

George Crevantes tips i used as a indoor beguinner, as like shanti he to explains his ways in laymans terms or simple to understand the how to points and how to, i wish i could actually grow out one of the Crevante varietys, such as - Georges Diamonds, i dont see them advertised on line anymore!

I best add our mate - Refferman' - I feel in love with his KODIAK GOLD] ie:Thunderfucked plant once had in seed form, i recall it oozzing gum out the sides of branchs and others reported same with the bigger buds, same trait as a tree trunk that bleeds sap at times, ive seen this very thing with a Nigeria cross f/2 i grew off of Ampsterdam seeds years and years ago now,

Least we forget many more already pointed out i to love to follow as we do, shanti and nevils work i find very interesting always:

grins - better add myself to this one,might help get the ole ego pumping again, well it will be in 6-10 months time i know this much.. - B

Every breed performe their vital roll in their childs. and spend their complete life their childern life.
in my view the german shepherd and golden retrievers are good breed then other breeds.
yet otherwise no one is dislike any time and any where,,,,,,

dog biscuits

Last edited:
not in order
sam the skunk man
shantibaba probally has the best parent stock in the buisness
dj short
chimera
neville
simon (serious seeds)
sensi seeds has some good stuff especially jack herrer just not sure who breeds for them.
tom hill
soma
robert clarke (atleast for breeding info not sure what hes really bred)

the only breeder I really disagree on that some had is subcool the guy has no IBL's he does no inbreeding, backcrossing, etc except he has one cross he backcrossed and he has a total of 2-3 males that he just crosses to clone onlys. I really don't even like subcool either mostly cause he read off breeding notes he got from dj short's book on his weed nerd show then he has a thread on rollitup.org were he grew out blueberry got 3 females made 2 herm called dj shorts blueberry crap and when't on an on about being a better breeder than dj short.lol, DJ Shorts Blueberry heres the thread he even starts out talking negative but page 7 post 69 is when he starts calling it crap he didn't even finish the plant that did not herm. I've smoked blueberry before and the guy who grew it had no herms from a full pack it wasn't bad weed at all. but subcool has 2 of 3 herm makes me think he made them herm just to make his seeds look better. another thing I don't like about him is if you post in his section of riu and he don't like it or don't want to answer it he deletes it.

but thats just why I don't like him and don't cosider him a real breeder but a pollen chucker.

i think not every breeder that deserves to be mentioned, will be mentioned...

This.

Some of the best seeds (if not the best) I ever germed were bred by some anonymous person who has been growing outdoors for 20+ years making and testing their own seed.

Said person doesn't want fame or big bucks and so shirks the limelight. I happened to be introduced to them and they generously shared some beans.

I don't doubt there are many such quiet gardeners out there who do great work and never become widely known.

The commercial seed scene is too much about hype and trend IMO, a breeder who grows for their own headstash is yer best bet.

Back