• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

Who is the top 10 Breeders in the world?

well thats my point of view, the difference between a crosser and a breeder is innovation, and by crossing 2 already established strains you dont breed something new, you just recombine

yeah, there are good crossers - and anybody can do this .. even with limited space, but my understanding of the word breeding has more to do than just crossing something in existance

With cannabis, does anyone really know the true pedigree of the plant or plants they're working with. Breeding is all about selection.

well thats my point of view, the difference between a crosser and a breeder is innovation,
I agree with your premise
and by crossing 2 already established strains you dont breed something new, you just recombine
I am not so sure about your conclusion, though.

If you have ever crossed anything, even to f2 or f3, I am sure you will have been amazed by the variety that the throwbacks can generate. I have found plants that were totally different to their parents in just about every respect, sometimes with amazing properties of their own!

We have to remember that our plain old market-bought cannabis seeds have some amazing recessive phenos in them these days, just waiting to be discovered. Once they are discovered it's pretty damn hard work do draw these new-found traits out and stabilise them -- but probably worth it. You would need serious facilities though, as you'll have to throw out a LOT of stuff. :p

Not as fun as travelling round the world looking for "new" stuff, but just as valuable, perhaps even more so.

But we are a lazy lot, aren't we, and want everything super-duper ready at the press of a button. And as I already said, the illegal status doesn't help at all...

Breeders:
Nevil
Shanti
DJ Short
Chimera
Tom Hill
Soul (Bros. Grimm)
Charlie Garcia (CBG)
Jim Ortega
Reeferman
Bohdi

Other (industry experts, not necessarily breeders):
Rob Clark
Ed Rosenthal

Ahhh SOUL and JIM ORTEGA! Great choices sir. Might have to edit my list!

If Chana were here, he would add the name of the Canadian breeder that created "Chemo" I suspect.
I don't know much about that strain.

I should probably also replace Bodhi with David Watson. My dislike for him colored my objectivity in the answer.

Last edited:
If you have ever crossed anything, even to f2 or f3, I am sure you will have been amazed by the variety that the throwbacks can generate. I have found plants that were totally different to their parents in just about every respect, sometimes with amazing properties of their own!

i go with my works till F4, thats my own endpoint .. if i dont get results within 4 generations its a dead road for me, tho im lucky .. or i have the nose or i do know what to look for intuitivly, as the good stuff shows up already at F1 und F2 .. but i give it a chance for some more recessive traits, so go on to F4, admitted i often get to a dead end beyond this, true - big scale aint on my side but time is, also 4 generations is also a good pointer to narrow down trait or to delete em like with hermie gens ... i dont mind to throw 100 seeds out to get 10 real females, like i did with trainwreck, btw there were only 3 real males ..everything else were hermies, and of those 10 only 1 made the mark .. im not commercial, i do it from the heart and by that 1 out of 100 within 4 generations is a success (in the end) ... that project took me 2 years, and for most commercial operations that isnt possible tho they would have the big scales i dont have, like said i do it for my own pleasure, thats all that counts ... yep folks only 4 generations to get the hermie traits out of trainwreck .. makes me wonder why it hasnt been done .. most todays breeding project are backcrossing stuff which i dont like as i havent seen better improvment than inbreeding combined with selctions

Breeders:
Nevil
Shanti
DJ Short
Chimera
Tom Hill
Soul (Bros. Grimm)
Charlie Garcia (CBG)
Jim Ortega
Reeferman
David Watson
(was: Bohdi)

Other (industry experts, not necessarily breeders):
Rob Clark
Ed Rosenthal

what did Jim Ortega breed :confused: i dont mean what good clones did he find/keep/share , i mean what did he breed/create :confused:

peace :cool:

ortega's breeding skills

what did Jim Ortega breed :confused: i dont mean what good clones did he find/keep/share , i mean what did he breed/create :confused:

yes bob jim is a breeder he has many kush and indica line good dog is a new strain has made. he has a new kush that he thinks will be the next cup winner I dont no why you find it so hard to beleave about jim's breeding skills. The reason your knowledge of him is because he really never marketed his stuff comercially because of the laws years back now he can do it with less punishment if targeted by authoritys

Last edited:
real Chemo will not hermi under any circumstances

those seeds were not it

Chana is a wonderful talented spiritual person

Jim Ortega is responsible for a TON of the older indicas.

He's one of the guys that has flown under the radar. Truly an unsung hero of the community. I wish he got more credit than people give him. I was smokin the "ortega" in the early 90s in cali. I swear during those times you couldn't get away from the ortegas!

Jim Ortega is responsible for a TON of the older indicas.

He's one of the guys that has flown under the radar. Truly an unsung hero of the community. I wish he got more credit than people give him. I was smokin the "ortega" in the early 90s in cali. I swear during those times you couldn't get away from the ortegas!

can you show any documented proof he created it , or anything , there is a difference between naming and sharing an existing strain/cut from creating the actual strain

sometimes i think ppl like to exagerate/bend the truth , then after years of that we have ppl believing what they shouldnt

can you show any documented proof he created it , or anything , there is a difference between naming and sharing an existing strain/cut from creating the actual strain

sometimes i think ppl like to exagerate/bend the truth , then after years of that we have ppl believing what they shouldnt

If a fellow who calls himself Dogless starts talking about the origins of the Ortega lines, I'd advise you to Sit and pay attention.
N.

Here ya go b0b, not exactly proof he created it but I'd say it's from a pretty good source that he worked with some goods.

http://https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-shantibaba-mrnice/4367-questions-nevil-afghani-kush-lines-other-grail-8.html#post60457

Man you're tough, lol. May I ask what your definition of a breeder is?
Not provoking anything, just curious.

Last edited:
the best breeders are those who have their strains grown by the best growers(may be also smoked by conoisseur smoker) . there is also a lot of young/new talented breeders .

peace
mani

Back