• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

Who is the top 10 Breeders in the world?

Kitepot

G'day everyone here on the MNS!

Does enyone have eny idea who the top 10 Breeders in the world are?

Im pretty sure that Nevil and Shantiba are 2 of them!

Feel free to come whit proposals!

Best Regards!
Kitepot.

in my opinion mother nature is the best breeder. Not much can be done to plant that she hasnt already done breeding wise. We can learn a lot from her kitepot :)

ask yourself: who is travelling around the world and making new recombinations and new breeds, thinking that way only 3 come to my mind .. and if they are among the best, thats quiet questionable

all others work with already established strains .. thats no breeding to me, to some it might be all .. but per se, i understand that word as follows: making a new strain out of unknown/unused parents and bringing something new out, by following strict criterias

hint: count how many landraces you are aware of from different seedbanks ;)

- Nevil
- Shantibaba
- Skunkman
- Rob Clarke
- Mel Frank
- Reeferman
- Chimera
- DNA
- Sannie
- Motarebel
no breeder is the "best", but those guys come to mind, along side many unmentioned;)

shanti
gooeybreeder
bodhi
are 3 great breeders with some good genetics.
gooeybreeder is all about helping people out in a big way,
advice on all his strains,total honesty which is a big plus.
pretty hard to get his stuff.
very similar to shanti in many ways.:)

bodhi comes up with some truly cracking crosses,
the Big buddy lavender x Appalachia made your mouth water the scent of her was like standing next to a candy floss stall :)
again his stuff is pretty tricky to get.

for me its more than the crosses the breeders make,its more about the heart that goes into making them,the approachability of the breeder,
the advice they offer.

its a good sign when you see that combination:cool:

(not advertising anyones stuff,just being honest)

i think Jaime from resin seeds deserves a mention for creating his cannatonic and other high cbd strains, or at least bringing them to the masses.....

love an respect

- Nevil
- Shantibaba
- Skunkman
- Rob Clarke
- Mel Frank
- Reeferman
- Chimera
- DNA
- Sannie
- Motarebel
no breeder is the "best", but those guys come to mind, along side many unmentioned;)

thats a good list

subcool has put some quality strains on the market as has cees of no mercy

but mother nature and the growers that have worked the landrace strains for generations at source who have undoubtedly been exploited by the commercial seed breeders are the best without a doubt

there was once talk of rezdog gifting chem a rolex watch as rezdog had made his crust on the back of strains originally found by chemdog

one must wonder if those that promote strains that are hybrids of landraces or those that have genetics that have been gifted or that they have personally bought quality strains for a pittance while travelling have ever returned to share their wealth with the poor farmer that made the whole scene possible

the cynic in me doubts this has ever happened :rolleyes:

In no particular order.

Mendocinco/Romulan Joe
Sandy Weinstein
Neville
Tom Hill
DJ Short
Shanti
Chimera
Moonshine/Rare Dankness (I know he's "new" but if you saw what was happening you would agree.)
GOOEYBREEDER
Breeder Steve (SOL)

also in no particular order,

Mr. Nice (everyone involved)
DJ Short (can't believe no one has brought him up yet... as he's the second most ripped-off breeder on earth)
TGA (might not have been a "breeder" early on, but has a large established line of unique genetics as it stands today)
DNA (they've got chron)
Tom Hill (never run his stuff but I've seen the results and read his delightful/informative online posts)
Chimera (haven't run much of his either unfortunately, but the work speaks for itself)
Ace/CannaBioGen (landrace work deserves props as it is hard work indeed)
THSeeds
(even though they jump on a lot of "bandwagon" type strain like OG Kush they have some seriously great strains like SAGE)
Bodhi (reminds me of me in 10 years... yeah)
Onius (Shameless plug, lol... kidding... kidding... I don't have a big enough resume to actually run with these guys, but stay tuned :) )
KC Brains (my real 10th choice, even though selection is necessary for keepers, KC has managed to put out many unique strains while keeping his seeds a bargain at around $2 per)

all others work with already established strains .. thats no breeding to me, to some it might be
Deran, I'm not sure why you say this.
Breeding means moving towards a well defined target, regardless of whether you use established lines or inject something new into the mix.

Look at other plants: If a potato breeder (say) wants a new variety that will do such-and-such, of course he will use an established variety that is close to his target, and then perhaps try to import some new and desirable traits.

I am sure that people travelling, sourcing new material, and trying pot luck mixes are VERY useful, but that's not necessarily breeding, even though we might like to think of it as such, because of a romantic image. The real breeder is the one that does huge selections, documents his work meticulously, then chucks away maybe 95% of his work (rather than dumping it on a gullible market), determined to find the ONE he's really after. Yes, he must have good instincts, but good instincts without backing facilities make a pollen chucker, not a breeder.

I doubt if most of the names mentioned would come anywhere near deserving the name of breeder. :)

The illegal status of cannabis makes it quite difficult to be a real breeder.

Deran, I'm not sure why you say this.
Breeding means moving towards a well defined target, regardless of whether you use established lines or inject something new into the mix.

Look at other plants: If a potato breeder (say) wants a new variety that will do such-and-such, of course he will use an established variety that is close to his target, and then perhaps try to import some new and desirable traits.

I am sure that people travelling, sourcing new material, and trying pot luck mixes are VERY useful, but that's not necessarily breeding, even though we might like to think of it as such, because of a romantic image. The real breeder is the one that does huge selections, documents his work meticulously, then chucks away maybe 95% of his work (rather than dumping it on a gullible market), determined to find the ONE he's really after. Yes, he must have good instincts, but good instincts without backing facilities make a pollen chucker, not a breeder.

I doubt if most of the names mentioned would come anywhere near deserving the name of breeder. :)

The illegal status of cannabis makes it quite difficult to be a real breeder.

DAMN !

that was well said and deap

peace :cool:

well thats my point of view, the difference between a crosser and a breeder is innovation, and by crossing 2 already established strains you dont breed something new, you just recombine

yeah, there are good crossers - and anybody can do this .. even with limited space, but my understanding of the word breeding has more to do than just crossing something in existance

thats just me and my understanding of the word breeding

take nevil for example, he didnt invent skunk nor norther lights nor haze but had the nose to recombine them in a new way, thats ok and good

on the other hand shanti bred a widow, or the haze brothers as a good example

the fine but important difference (for my understanding of the word)

Back