Shark Shock - Indoor Organic Coco LED

After re-reading the grow journal up to this point I just wanted to come clean and be completely transparent with some of the changes I’ve made since my SSH grow. Also how I think each change has helped. Last grow I ran into Cal Mag issues, big PH swings in the medium, and various over watering problems including fungus gnats and minimal “praying”!

This grow I have:

- Added dolomite lime to my medium mix as well as in the medium mix with each transplant and during the week 3 of flower top dressing. This seems to have helped buffer the PH of the medium and prevented any cal mag issues from popping up to this point.

- I have been watering with dechlorinated tap water with the PH completely UNADJUSTED! (The natural PH of my tap water is around 7.0). The dolomite lime seems to be buffering the medium PH level just fine.

- When watering I’ve been aiming to completely saturate all the medium in the pot, but with minimal to NO RUNOFF! I Have NOT been watering with the 20% runoff some online (and at the local grow store) have suggested despite me telling them I’m using slow release ammendments.

- For the final transplant I transplanted into fabric pots. And as I previously mentioned I added some coco to the topdressing to prevent it from forming a hard claylike layer at the top of the pot. The fabric pots help them dry out faster between waterings and let’s the roots get lots of air. My 1-2 SSH plants I had in fabric pots flourished compared to the ones in plastic. I’m sure if I waited longer between waterings for the plastic pot plants they’d have done fine but fabric pots it is for me moving forward!

- I’ve waited significantly longer between waterings and only watered a plant when its pot felt very light when lifting it! There have been numerous times where the top layer of the medium was dry but the pot was still heavy (and therefore didn’t need watering). This is a prime example of how I ran into overwatering problems prior grow by only using my eyes and feeling the top layer of the medium instead of lifting the pot to see how much water was actually still in it!!

last but not least I’ve had a little less air movement in the grow area compared to prior grows where the fans had the leavesmoving almost constantly. I think this was a little too much stress. I saw a Bruce Bugbee video where he described and I think showed the idea amount of leaf movement from the fans and I’ve copied that. Occasionally I’ve adjusted the fans while in the room and could tell within an hour the plants were reacting negatively that were getting the brunt of the increased wind.

As for updates the plants have been praying like crazy and all look great so far. Humidity has been starting to creep up. Now that the buds are starting to grow I’m going to start decreasing the humidity slowly until the end.
Awesome update, excellent skills.

TGTDE,

Your shark shock are looking great! This line for me had plants that produced some of the stickiest, gooey resin which made for great concentrates. If you resin rub the leaves, what kind of odor are they putting off for you?

TGTDE,

Your shark shock are looking great! This line for me had plants that produced some of the stickiest, gooey resin which made for great concentrates. If you resin rub the leaves, what kind of odor are they putting off for you?

Hey @triceratops , I had mostly stuck to stem rubs up until the point of you leaving this comment. The stem rubs really didn’t give off all that much and/or unique smells at least compared to whenI went and rubbed a sugar leaf on each plant and…

wow 🤩 getting some really amazing, sweet smells off f of all the sharks 😍😍!! They smell similar to one another but yet slightly unique as well. I’m not great at describing smells but some sweet / fruity smells are coming from these girls and they’re getting frostier by the day. I’m extremely excited for these gals!!

Well done buddy and I am happy for you. Your grow looks fantastic as well and the resin production is really coming on for you. I had some that smelled sweet and fruity like skunk1 and I had some that smelled sour like the white widow, but the best phenotype I found was a loud funky smell emitting a very intense odor with some kind of spice in the background mixed in there as well. Keep us posted on your results and keep up the good work. Cheers!

Day after day I find myself in the grow area just staring at these Sharks in aweee 😍. Even if the resin production were to stay the same from now until harvest, I would still be thrilled with this strain! Just a beautiful freaking plant all around. At first SS6, 9 and 11 were leading the frost race but in recent days their sisters seem to be catching up and they are almost all equally frosty 😍😍!

So far the grow has went incredibly smooth.. 🤞 it continues that way! Aside from the herme issue (that I blame on myself for packing them all in too tight knowing that was a trigger for this strain) it’s been great. I can’t wait to see how these gals finish and eventually smoke! I have a feeling it’s going to be quite the teat of my self discipline to let these trichomes get the right amount of amber, then dry them for 10-14 days before testing 😢!

TGTDE, that macro shot is looking straight fire buddy! Any change in aromas yet and is which # has peaked your interest and tickled your senses the most so far?

They’ve improved on smell a bit. One picked up a bit of a skunkiness to them, another more earthy and then SS#3 is just quietly becoming my favourite of the sharks. Leading the race in frost, right chunky closely spaced out buds that could close up into giant colas and the sweetest / fruitiest smell of the bunch so far!

They’ve improved on smell a bit. One picked up a bit of a skunkiness to them, another more earthy and then SS#3 is just quietly becoming my favourite of the sharks. Leading the race in frost, right chunky closely spaced out buds that could close up into giant colas and the sweetest / fruitiest smell of the bunch so far!

The sweet and fruity phenotypes obviously lean towards the skunk1 side of the cross. Keep an eye on the skunky one as she may very well come on late and surprise you. I have had phenotypes that were sour smelling like the black widow put intense resin production virtually overnight but none of them ended up making the cut after growing everything again from cuttings of the seeds. Best wishes and keep up the good work!

Tomorrow is the start of week 8 and a few of the sharks are starting to fade! Looks like the timing of the final topdressing may just have been perfect. The buds and trichomes still look like they have a week or two to go! Some quick phone shots from earlier this evening.

SS9
280B060B-B18F-4648-91E4-6EF82E1DDFAE.jpeg

SS2
2860E4F2-4B3F-49C1-8C47-4A483F36FA36.jpeg

SS11
FBAFEF11-1ED6-4D3F-BF28-B30BC8A2769D.jpeg
75BA304D-11D0-4B34-A7E3-A1B1F843BCC8.jpeg

My dehumidifier is way too loud / crappy (& heats up the room too much) to be left on overnight. I’ve been getting the humidity down to around 29-35% during the day, with a temps floating between 77-80 degrees F. At night I’ve been able to drop the temp between 68-72F and the humidity rises up to 55-58%. (Trying to bring out any colour / purple that may be in the genes over the next week or two as well as any extra trichomes possible)

I have fans moving a pretty good amount of air around the leaves and buds 24/7. The buds are not all that bulky so I’m hoping powdery mildew and bud rot are not an issue moving forward! I’m trying to figure out a solution to keep the humidity lower at night but it’s a tricky problem with my ventilation set up / challenges.

Still all things considered I’m very happy with how the grow is progressing and how awesome these sharks look in person 😍.

Last edited:
Decided to sniff the gals moments ago (before heading to bed) and I had to make a pit stop here to tell you about two of them cause the intensity is rising impressively!!

Shark Shock 6 - HOLY FUELLLLL with a skunkiness to it. It took me a minute or two to figure out if the borderline repulsive smell was intense skunk with a hint of fuel, or vice versa. I’ve concluded it’s definitely smack you in the face fuel with a hint of skunk. This excites me cause the only fuel smelling flower I’ve smoked was Sour Deisel from an online dispensary and I really like the effects of it.

Then I felt up Shark Shock 3 - I’ll keep this one short, holy fricken sweets!! Such a sweet, candle like smell to this girl. I can’t wait to see how she finished and eventually smokes.

I told you to keep a close eye on those skunk smelling Sharks. Never was disappointed with the skunk phenotypes in this line. Hopefully the taste is identical to the smell and you have yourself a perma keeper that will stay in your stable for life. Best wishes and keep up the good work!

Back