Second MNS grow. Black Widow

We used to cut the plants whole hang them on a wire upside down and put lumps of grease on either side of the plants hanging, the mites would crawl away from the plant as the plant is dead (no more sap flow) and the mite would get stuck and die on the grease take the wire away and dispose of. You will still need to clean up your buds of webs and dead’s mites etc. Clean the room and tent thoroughly vacuum everything and sanitise. The little buggers will be all over the place.

You will still need to clean up your buds of webs and dead’s mites etc. Clean the room and tent thoroughly vacuum everything and sanitise. The little buggers will be all over the place.
THey are hell to get rid of once an infestation sets in. Like @Fish said. Wash those buds when then come down and reset.

I'd carefully vacuum as many of those fuckers away as possible and introduce alot of benificials to try and keep them under control. Maybe throw a few extra fans in there. They don't like wind or breeze. Like @musashi said, they can quickly kill your plant if not kept in check.

Best of like my friend. I can't wait to hear how your widows come out. That one pheno has some big chunky buds.

We used to cut the plants whole hang them on a wire upside down and put lumps of grease on either side of the plants hanging, the mites would crawl away from the plant as the plant is dead (no more sap flow) and the mite would get stuck and die on the grease take the wire away and dispose of.
That grease trick sounds crazy simple!
When I hung the plants, the bastard mites migrated like you said. The fuckers actually made webs by the poles in my tent! I found small pieces of plant matter up there and spider mite webs. It was rhe damnest thing. That grease trick could have saved me from having to spray dr zymes everywhere.

Soak them down; top and bottom of leaves, topsoil etc. A hydrogen peroxide mixture or essential oil (tea tree/pepperment) mixture sprayed on plants. Even a kelp foliar will aide in eradication and interrupt their cycle. Fans are helpful here to help dry out plants and dissuade the little monsters. Look up recipes or I’ll give you some. At the very least spray isopropyl alcohol.
If you only have several weeks before harvest, not sure if adding beneficials will work as quickly as peroxide or alcohol. You might be able to get 2 applications spaced 3 days apart to minimize infestation before stopping all remediation for the last week of finish.
In the future consider something sticky like Tanglefoot applied to the base stem to keep them from crawling up and populating the plant. My thoughts anyway.

mu

Didn't get much sleep after reading this late last night. A bit devastated.
All is not lost my friend. Wash the buds like @musashi said, wipe down the inside of your tent with peroxide or rubbing alcahol, the alcohol might be corrosive to the mylar, and keep a close eye. You'll save your grow.

Just make sure to properly reset your grow after harvest so they don't take hold next grow. I'd recomend incorporateing an IPM regimine next grow and always wear fresh clothes and shower before handling plants next season.

Do you have clones of these plants? If so, begin treating them.

You've got this! We're all with you. 😄
Diesel840

All is not lost my friend. Wash the buds like @musashi said, wipe down the inside of your tent with peroxide or rubbing alcahol, the alcohol might be corrosive to the mylar, and keep a close eye. You'll save your grow.

Just make sure to properly reset your grow after harvest so they don't take hold next grow. I'd recomend incorporateing an IPM regimine next grow and always wear fresh clothes and shower before handling plants next season.

Do you have clones of these plants? If so, begin treating them.

You've got this! We're all with you. 😄
Diesel840
I'll be following instructions very carefully mate. Straight to chemical shop for hydrogen peroxide this morning and into it.
Yes I have 10 clones going outdoors, will treat them also.

Pyrethrum works well enough for infestations on plants that are not flowering.
For flowering plants the options are not good.
Mites do not like getting wet, and this can be used to your advantage.
Take plant outside and hose it down with a fine strong mist and make sure to get under the leaves.
Best to disinfect tent after this run.
Spray diluted bleach on everything and allow to dry.
Make sure whatever goes into the flowering tent is pest free.
Give the surrounding area a good clean as well.
If necessary remove all plants and bomb the room with an insecticide.
If you have carpet in the room that is where they will be coming from.
Other than that make sure they can't just walk in, so seal up any gaps to the outside world.
They are probably not coming in on you. Or that has never been my experience
Try to remember that this is something that every grower has to deal with at some point.
Bleach and pyrethrum work for me.

Last edited:
Soak them down; top and bottom of leaves, topsoil etc. A hydrogen peroxide mixture or essential oil (tea tree/pepperment) mixture sprayed on plants. Even a kelp foliar will aide in eradication and interrupt their cycle. Fans are helpful here to help dry out plants and dissuade the little monsters. Look up recipes or I’ll give you some. At the very least spray isopropyl alcohol.
If you only have several weeks before harvest, not sure if adding beneficials will work as quickly as peroxide or alcohol. You might be able to get 2 applications spaced 3 days apart to minimize infestation before stopping all remediation for the last week of finish.
In the future consider something sticky like Tanglefoot applied to the base stem to keep them from crawling up and populating the plant. My thoughts anyway.

mu
Thanks Mu.
I'll go with the hydrogen peroxide I think.
I've been wondering when my turn for mites would happen. According to Longball I need to burn my shed down. Another learning curve for me.

Pyrethrum works well enough for infestations on plants that are not flowering.
For flowering plants the options are not good.
Mites do not like getting wet, and this can be used to your advantage.
Take plant outside and hose it down with a fine strong mist and make sure to get under the leaves.
Best to disinfect tent after this run.
Spray diluted bleach on everything and allow to dry.
Make sure whatever goes into the flowering tent is pest free.
Give the surrounding area a good clean as well.
If you have carpet in the room that is where they will be coming from.
Other than that make sure they can't just walk in, so seal up any gaps to the outside world.
They are probably not coming in on you. Or that has never been my experience
Try to remember that this is something that every grower has to deal with at some point.
Bleach and pyrethrum work for me.
Thanks Uncle Jack I shall do. I generally bleach the tent after each grow but will be a lot more thorough after this. Have pyrethum on hand so will drown my clones in it.

Back