Breeding techniques

yes

Yes it creates issue ,like loss of vigor/susceptibility to virus,diseases,and pest.

and certain genes can be hidden so deep to never be seen again, like the eye color red, its there deep in the human DNA, but we will never see it, it has become lossed junk DNA

With no other genes mixed, hybrid diversity slowly gets suppressed.

Single parent matings ie; one male one female. Excepting selfed plants, all matings have 2 parents. In a 1:1 mating you only use one male, preferably progeny tested. I prefer the seeds from the best progeny tested male rather than seeds that come from a mixed batch of males prior to testing. Only one can be the best.
N.

I see, that makes sense, thats what I thought you meant. So you could do a 1:1 mating with say, one male and 10 different females. then you would have 10 paired 1:1 mating crosses, is that right?

hrmm

I agree and disagree ..N

One can only be the best average, one can never be the best, not one, will carry all the traits,one trait may be in one male, and the other in another male.

But yes one will pass the most traits.,But there never is just One good male, ever.

Well it would be a 1:10 m/f ratio,

The best would be your dads best daughter, with her best adornments, and take all of her brothers,tag her,only.Then take the best female from that, and ,tag the dad back to her,then take all the sons from that same, batch , and tag the mom, back.

Now then start your 1:1 from those 2 batches .that is a classic inbreed lol.

But really all male should be of a different gene pool with the same as can be structure.

But like some have said, Its not like there is all this free riegn , to get what ever we want.

I would rather have a green house imbreed,line then an open pollinated strain with feral fiber hemp floating around.

Wouldnt you??

I see, that makes sense, thats what I thought you meant. So you could do a 1:1 mating with say, one male and 10 different females. then you would have 10 paired 1:1 mating crosses, is that right?
I'd do it the other way around. You know more about the female. I usually did the 2nd best female with the separate males as well, just as a backup.
N.

Hey Nev do you keep your back ups as plants or just seeds or both,ATM me just beans, no room for live back ups.

And if beans would you rather keep female beans, or do you keep regular also?

Goahead and shoot me now,cant wait for the slaps, I keep my back ups,..cough...FEmale..beans.

LOL

...preferably progeny tested. I prefer the seeds from the best progeny tested male rather than seeds that come from a mixed batch of males prior to testing. Only one can be the best.
N.

See? These little gems are one of the main reasons why I am on here. That is so simple yet so brilliant. It makes perfect sense. I am assuming progeny tested means that you use a clone of a male that has been tested to have progeny which shows positive for the traits you are breeding for. This is something I have done, sporadically, in my breeding programs of the past, with a few very special males. But it never occurred to me to use the technique as the central backbone of a breeding program.

let me step up to the table and second whoever in stating the genetics i seek are absolutely expected to be uniform and stable. i do not breed so what happens with these same genetics in successive generations is of little interest to me. if i save any plants it is a f1 only that interests me. peace-biteme

I'd do it the other way around. You know more about the female. I usually did the 2nd best female with the separate males as well, just as a backup.
N.

I see what you are saying. When I was breeding, generally, what I did was, I had one particular cross in mind, and I would usually use one male(sometimes 2 or 3 from the same stock), but not a progeny tested male, because I was breeding generationally, and doing several generations per year, so I didn't have time to progeny test them, however the males that proved superior, I would save for backcrossing.

Anyway I had one or two particular crosses in mind, but I would generally throw a bunch of other top female clones in there as well, for good measure. My reasoning was, that a tested productive female mother, could represent as many as the best of thousands, yet it only took up one space, wheras my main cross or crosses were generally from untested seedlings and the mother clone that they came from, the seed coming from the best progeny of the previous generation and the clone being their mother(s). By throwing a clone or 2 of each of my top producing females on top, I could maximize my genetic diversity. There have been times, when my some of my best females and lines, have come out of these secondary side crosses.

Sad to say it, but we are largely 30 years too late to start preserving things. There are still patches of largely untouched landraces left but they are in hard to reach places, many of them warstruck, violent and dangerous. Because of wars and unrest, places like Burma, New Guinea, Ceylon and Central Africa have been off limits for decades, in those places it is to be hoped that special landraces survive as they never experienced the US-backed eradication efforts that Mexico, Thailand, Hawaii, Colombia etc experienced.

Hempire, It is not too late yet. I believe if we all work together, perhaps we can save some of what is left. Perhaps MNS could be a central hub of this movement. I can play some kind of role in this, as I still have access to many North African varieties of untouched landraces. I am sure that many others on this forum have access to other pure landraces... It is possible, that by working together, perhaps MNS can dedicate a branch, to the preservation of what landraces still exist and can be tracked down. Nevil, What do you think about this idea?

Outside of that...do you actually believe you are hurting the gene pool?
Do you? I've put out strains that people are still using. Obviously they were better than what was otherwise available. I'd venture to guess that you are growing stuff that originally came from me. Is it hurting you? I have trouble taking the question seriously, that's why I didn't respond, but it appears you are serious.
N.

Do you? I've put out strains that people are still using. Obviously they were better than what was otherwise available. I'd venture to guess that you are growing stuff that originally came from me. Is it hurting you? I have trouble taking the question seriously, that's why I didn't respond, but it appears you are serious.
N.

You did a great job with what You had. You tapped into some great genetics, and put out some awesome strains and building blocks.

Indeed, remove all the stuff Nev had a hand in and there's not much left. Not many others have introduced a great deal to the scene, sadly, it's a pretty bottlenecked genepool really.

This is a time proven method of doing things. In breeding, compatible lines are called a "nick". In researching nicks, I've found that they usually trace back to common lines, often many generations back. I think that we should start a thread titled Breeding. This seems to be where we are going.
N.

Hi Nevil, I would like to discuss this, I have found, that when working with NL5Hz, some strains were very compatible, where most were not. In fact out of many strains I tried, I only found 2 that were very compatible, and crossed really well with NL5Hz, out of maybe 10-15. The others were ok, except for one, which was really bad. The two exceptional ones though, just seemed to click. The strains I went with were strains that allow the characteristic Haze stoniness shine through. I found one strain in particular from Humboldt County, an oldschool Giant Indica strain, that did exceptionally well; I crossed and backcrossed this strain with another N Cali Giant Indica, and wound up with a fairly stable, true breeding Hybrid, that is 50% NL5hz. I have found, that this hybrid seems to cross well into just about anything.

I have always wondered why this is, and I have some theories about it. I call it the Haze Matrix.

I then crossed this hybrid, into so many north american strains and some landrace strains, and virtually everything crossed well with it, from pure sativa to pure indica.

What do you think about this?

Guess it was too much to ask for a simple answer to a simple question....not that it surprises me.

Actually it was quite a stupid and rude question. That would be like asking Luther Burbank if he hurt the potato gene pool. Virtually all of the potatoes we use today were originally bred by Luther Burbank. Or maybe he hurt the Nectarine Genepool? Burbank invented the Nectarine.

Nevil Bred, hybridized, perfected and distributed most of the strains being used today.
The fact that many of the strains are falling apart is not Nevil's Fault, quite the opposite actually, it is the result of bad breeding and ignorance on the part of other breeders who were lucky enough to inherit Nevil's Superstrains.

Obviously he has helped the Genepool. Although I suppose its relative. If you are growing any holland strains, or BC strains, you should be thanking Nevil, for doing such a spectacular initial job, of tracking down, hybridizing and fixing, these remarkable strains.

Instead of trying to derail the thread with Moronic, impertinant, egotistical, ridiculous and insulting questions, why don't you try to learn something. There is a Master in the room.

Pretty easy question, nothing rude about it. He bragged about not giving a shit if he hurts the gene pool, he didn't say anything about if he believes he is or not, I'm curious if he does.

Nevil posted some pretty moronic bullshit in my opinion, but I'm not a groupie so maybe I see things differently.

Maybe the master can answer the question.

Pretty moronic bullshit?

That's way too harsh and completely uncalled for. You came in this thread with a really hostile attitude, if you can drop that I'm sure you'll find it easier to get answers to your questions.

Back