Are SSH, Jack Herer and Diesel the same thing?

Hello Again British Hempire!,

BH -"You got me thinking now of where I could have heard of diesel prior to 2005 and I'm coming up blank! lol"

You would have had to be near Philladelphia prior to 2005 to have heard the diesel name. First time I heard it was when I lived there in 01'. A very attractive redheaded girl from New Zealand asked if I wanted to smoke some diesel buds? She had "grape diesel" and just "diesel."

Dudes in this ring of people DEFINITELY had overseas connects. Also one dude in the group had the stinkiest herb I have EVER smelled. Reminded me of early super skunk. He also had the nicest Jack Herrer cut I have EVER encountered.

Nevil mentioned someone from Sensi could have taken/given cuts to someone. I'am almost certain these guys had some/all of those cuts Nev was talking about and made another strain with the diesel name by crossing the 5Hz to random girls they had. They probably ended up crossing the male 5Hz to that super stinky cutting that dude would NOT share with anyone.

Peace,

KB 8)_~

Interesting info kyle.

Funny you should mention Super Skunk, it keeps cropping up when people discuss diesel. I recall SS being rather fuel smelling, also rather foul smell.

Would be good if between us we can piece together more of the diesel puzzle. The info on the two diesels from NYC is solid, JJ-NYC and others were around and know the actuality of how they came about so we have the lineages, Super Skunk is a big part of both those cuts.

If Nev and Shanti were into producing strains to specifically meet today's most popular and hyped tastes such as Diesel then I would expect the route would be to cross a fuelly Super Skunk male to the C5 Haze which as we discussed earlier gets referred to as Diesel.

After Nev talked about the AfghanT plant from the Maple Leaf line he received from Jim ortega and how it was the Skunk archetype it immediately made me think that AfghanT, if it is still alive would be the perfect plant to use to create a Cheese line, there are a ton of people trying to make Cheese lines but we know Nev and Shanti could outdo em all if they put their mind to it.

Not suggesting either of these projects would be of interest to Nev and Shanti or even worthwhile, just using them as examples.

Super Skunk or what ever it's called theses days, was prime breeding stock. This will be in a lot of the new varieties today. I once did an analysis on sales statistics. Mine and Sensi's. Super Skunk is the number one variety sold by volume of seeds. NL5xHzC was the number one income producing variety. SS was cheaper.

It was AfgT (ML) that put some super into the skunk. SK1 had bud structure and caylyx to leaf ratio. The best thing about SK1 is the lack of leaf in the bud. Pull off a few fan leaves and your done. The trouble is, most skunks are bland and uninspiring. They are also the first plants in your grow room to show problems. I often used to use one as a canary in the mine. Spider mites love 'em. But SK1 is unparalleled for improving bud structure.
AfgT had a sister, AfgS. This was a sweeter version than the T. It was, however AfgSxSk1 that produced the strongest specimen. This one plant AfgSxSk1 was awe inspiring. It tasted like a Hash Plant with real depth an quality. Strong, strong, strong! I had crossed this plant back to Sk1 and then to SS. This is where I'd be looking to resurrect the best of Maple leaf. In general, plants with AfgS in it's make up should be crossed with AfgT line plants. Sooner or later, throw backs will pop up. As I've said before, I believe, bases on similarity of types and smells, that the Maple Leaf strain is the Afghan behind the original skunks.
I wonder if Shanti has used lines containing AfgS?
N.

Super Skunk or what ever it's called theses days, was prime breeding stock. This will be in a lot of the new varieties today. I once did an analysis on sales statistics. Mine and Sensi's. Super Skunk is the number one variety sold by volume of seeds. NL5xHzC was the number one income producing variety. SS was cheaper.

It was AfgT (ML) that put some super into the skunk. SK1 had bud structure and caylyx to leaf ratio. The best thing about SK1 is the lack of leaf in the bud. Pull off a few fan leaves and your done. The trouble is, most skunks are bland and uninspiring. They are also the first plants in your grow room to show problems. I often used to use one as a canary in the mine. Spider mites love 'em. But SK1 is unparalleled for improving bud structure.
AfgT had a sister, AfgS. This was a sweeter version than the T. It was, however AfgSxSk1 that produced the strongest specimen. This one plant AfgSxSk1 was awe inspiring. It tasted like a Hash Plant with real depth an quality. Strong, strong, strong! I had crossed this plant back to Sk1 and then to SS. This is where I'd be looking to resurrect the best of Maple leaf. In general, plants with AfgS in it's make up should be crossed with AfgT line plants. Sooner or later, throw backs will pop up. As I've said before, I believe, bases on similarity of types and smells, that the Maple Leaf strain is the Afghan behind the original skunks.
I wonder if Shanti has used lines containing AfgS?
N.

Damn Nev, that's the best info on Skunk I've ever read by far, I think you're absolutely correct on your observations of Skunk. The UK Cheese cutting is precisely as you described, has great bud structure and calyx to leaf ratio, as you say, pluck a few bigger leaves and the trim is done, it's also a bland and uninspiring high, but sadly, that has become all the rage these days because few people have experienced a proper cannabis high that is mind opening and inspiring. Cheese is also exactly as you say - a canary, it is always the first plant in a room to get mites, everyone notices that, my friend Banana Man always jokes that if you have mites, put a Cheese plant in the room and they will all move onto that.

Your observations about the Maple Leaf being at the root of Skunk sound right to me, Skunk was created by a group of 6 guys within the Sacred Seeds collective in the Bay Area round San Francisco, some of those guys are dead now, including Mendo Joe who was the prime mover in the Skunk creation. The Jim Ortega character sounds like he was probably close to that scene. Shanti wrote he thought Cheese reminded him of Garlic Bud, so maybe Skunk has some Garlic Bud in it too?

Sam the ratman says Skunk was an f2 Afghan/Colombian male crossed to an Acapulco Gold female then heavily worked, maybe so, but I doubt Sam had anything much to do with the creation of Skunk, he just took it to Holland and charged a king's ransom for the seeds. I friggin hate Skunk as a smoke so whatever ya paid him Nev, to me it was too much! lol

Interesting what you say about breeding the Afghans with the Skunks. I had a Cheese x Yumboldt that absolutely slayed the Cheese in every regard, better bud density, more resin, more potency, more smell, more flavour, better plant structure, it was like Cheese on steroids. Yumboldt is supposed to be an old Afghani from Humboldt that is very potent and foul smelling, sounds like your AfghanT, maybe it is, Sagarmatha Seeds said they got it from Humboldt but maybe they just used your Afghan?

Cheese is a pheno of 1988 vintage skunk #1 BTW in case anyone doesn't know!

P.S. The only thing that annoys me aabout Nev's posts is that I am starting to sound like an ass-kisser when I reply to them. I promise you I'm no ass-kisser, I like to tell it as I see it straight, just what is happening is Nev keeps talking absolute sense that I can't help but completely agree with. I'm not afraid to disagree with Nev but he just doesn't give me any opportunity! lol

Keep it up Nev, We're all lapping it up!

Maple Leaf Indica kicks out a pheno about 1 in every 10 or 15 plants that has the leaf shape and plant habit of skunk#1 dead on but nothing else comparable.. heavy afghani high, astringent paint smell that is almost too much until well cured and much more open bud structure than skunk #1. The other pheno's all yield way more but this pheno is totally resistant to bud rot; in gardens where other MLI are decimated by botrytis this pheno grows through like a champ spotless. Nev if you know the pheno that I am talking about does it come via afghan T or afghan S crossed into the Ortega 15? Are there other lines that lean more towards this botrytis resistant pheno of MLI? You have me wondering if Super Skunk may hold the key. I have always avoided it like the plague as I hate skunk#1 with a passion.. it does combine nicely to afghani's occasionally though.

btw assuming the cut Grey Area runs is the real Sour Diesel I have zero doubt that skunk#1 is heavily in the make up, very clear from the bud structure imo. I didn't really care for the SD effects mostly how quick resistance kicked in.

Last edited:
BH -"P.S. The only thing that annoys me aabout Nev's posts is that I am starting to sound like an ass-kisser when I reply to them. I promise you I'm no ass-kisser, I like to tell it as I see it straight, just what is happening is Nev keeps talking absolute sense that I can't help but completely agree with. I'm not afraid to disagree with Nev but he just doesn't give me any opportunity! lol"

Funny you mention that BH. I felt the same way when he started posting. Funny how much guys like us have done and think about things similarly. Our interests, hobbies, etc. Do you like fish BH? I bet you have had a tank or two?

Is Nevil working or an aquaintance of his working on a ¡New Super Skunk!? If it is anything like the original one you made Nev it will blow all of these Cheese lovers away! Locking them to their couches like they love but with the stinkiest buds they ever smelled HANDS DOWN. Plus all those guys in Kansas and Nebraska can make their very own diesel. Heh.

I will help out however I can BH. It shows what a sad state of affairs we have when I'm the authority on something. :)

KB 8)_~

Yup, Sour Diesel has a lot of skunk influence, you can see it in the buds although the plant itself is rather different, totally different leaf shape and overall structure but you can see the Skunk in the buds strongly. This is due to the stong Mass Super Skunk component in it's makeup.

I've never kept fish, I had a dog, had a rabbit when I was a kid but I've moved around too much to have been able to have many pets sadly.

Heya BH -

As for the "diesel" in Holland, a good friend of the biggest grower of the A5, C5, HPH and Mex Haze in S. Holland for the last 20 or so years says it was an A5 haze that people call diesel, not C5.

I should be able to give more info just after the holidays. Going to Holland and have a meet scheduled with the man, so hopefully I can glean some more history about these particular ladies.

No problem man, there are a few of those Haze cuts so easy to mix em up. I love the A5 Mango, that is some tasty and potent bud indeed. Been a couple of years since I last spoke to the guys from the south you refer to so my memory is a bit hazy.

Nev if you know the pheno that I am talking about does it come via afghan T or afghan S crossed into the Ortega 15?

I know exactly what you are talking about. It's Maple Leaf AfgT, which I crossed with Ort15 male which was also pure Maple Leaf. This was the most indica ML male. This male dominated most things it was put to. Because of this males dominance, you had to grow a few plants to find the AfgT type. It also didn't have the yield I wanted so I didn't release it then. SB was right to use this line as it is one of the few sources left of the Pure Maple Leaf. When it is crossed to an Indica/Sativa out of AfgT or it's sister AfgS, I'm expecting some extreme shit.
N.

ortega seeker

on the subject of superskunk, it is very resistant because in the winter time it gets very humid when im flowering,70 % i have radiators. i never have problems with rot.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It's Maple Leaf AfgT, which I crossed with Ort15 male which was also pure Maple Leaf. This was the most indica ML male. This male dominated most things it was put to. Because of this males dominance, you had to grow a few plants to find the AfgT type. It also didn't have the yield I wanted so I didn't release it then. SB was right to use this line as it is one of the few sources left of the Pure Maple Leaf. When it is crossed to an Indica/Sativa out of AfgT or it's sister AfgS, I'm expecting some extreme shit.
N.

If you still had that AfgT mother and could find a male that when bred to it produced mostly AfgT plants with the 'skunk archetype' smell you would have an extremely popular line on your hands as so many people in the UK and elsewhere absolutely adore the Cheese/Psychosis/Blues type Skunk cuttings and none of the attempts at making a Cheese seedline had been much cop, Big Buddha's is not great, Greenhouse's is not great, yada yada. There are a lot of amateur breeders working on Cheese hybrids, it's all the rage, which annoys me as I find Skunks bland and boring with an uninspiring high and a sickly nasty type of smell I don't like at all.

I'm pretty sure AfgT is dead after 25 years, but there are some lines with AfgS (the full sister)that will fire things up again. I had a plant AfgSxSK1(2) that was the strongest of it's type I'd ever come across. SB is working on this I believe. AfgSxSK1(2) was far from boring and tasted more like Hash Plant.
N.

I'm sure a large part of why the Dutch Skunks are so boring is the amount of time that has passed since you worked with the original parentals. People have worked with a small genepool and homogenised things to a great degree by focusing on yield, short finish, etc. This is why I am interested in the original parentals as I am sure there are better breeds within the samed general family that are not so bland and boring but still have the good qualities the Dutch Skunks are known for.

Maybe I can be lucky enough to get on the test list for any AfgS breeds Shanti does in future, after reading your writings about the Maple Leafs, Ortegas etc it sounds rather interesting.

hey peeps in the late 80's first skunk I ever had smelt just like diesel fuel or fuel smell. my brother was selling and the way I found his stash was the smell each pound was in 2 ziplock freezer bags then 2 black trash bags then wrapped with a wet bath towl put in a duffle bag then wrapped in a thick quilt and I smelled it threw the the wall.It was an almost florescent green .I have yet to come across any skunk that good since the only thing that came close was a early pearl that I grew from seeds from a bag I bought from a friend who grew it in the early 90's.but the high was not even close to as good as the skunk I had back then maybe might be because I didn't have any f1's to choose from most likely a stressed hermi fem seed but the smell was close.Also had some Puna Butter back then that I cannot seem to find any seed company that has anything that even taste smells or anything like it. was best only real Hawiian I have ever come across.And Ukcheese when I bx crossed it. I came across 1 plant that did not have any traits of any of the other plants from that strain .It was like it was from another strain all together .So if you have ever grown out 50 seeds from a strain you will find out that that diesel could have came from anywhere.hope that helps you understand why it could have came from anywhere.Just like the Infamous Cindy 99.

I think are correct

Sensi is a shell of what it was in the 90's. They will never get my business again.

You won't see people bitching about their work on their forums - they are quickly deleted once posted. Though, you will see many people complaining about no germination and when they do germinate they are nothing like the seeds by the same names from the early 90's.

I piad almost $200.00 for a pack of Black Domina and they where all male .I have never had that with any other seed company .My Ak47 from serious seeds where almost all female 9 out 13 were female.I do not know what could cause that .I hope It's just fluk because with all those strains It would not be good if they let them go.or let them become unstable .I will say I did get a good male and crossed it with my Durban poison. And call it Black Durban it turned out to be very good.Just wish I had got good Black Domina female.I out of it. I can't complain to Sensi seeds because I live in the states so they will not replace It. And It's not the company that I ordered it from's fault .

I can't complain to Sensi seeds because I live in the states so they will not replace It. And It's not the company that I ordered it from's fault .

Did the seeds come with a sensi label? Then they should be responsible for their product.
Complain and send back the label, see what happens.
N.

Complain and send back the label, see what happens.
N.

Some of us have already gone that route. I didn't send my label back, but offered to do it along with the nonviable seeds. They told me in a round about way to go fuck myself, and that's not an exageration. If a person is in the States, it's well established that they won't cooperate or help if there's a problem with their beans.

At the prices Sensi charge there is no justification at all for not replacing seeds. Companies like Mandala that have much cheaper prices are excellent at replacing seeds so Sensi are just gouging people for top dollar which is very sad. They changed from 15 seed to 10 seed packs a coupe of years ago and at the same time raised prices a little so nowadays they are the most expensive seeds on the market pretty much.

Back