The origins of Haze

  • Thread starter Thread starter JessE
  • Start date Start date
According to Howard Marx, most of the Colombian weed that entered the US (usually via Florida) in the 60s and 70s, was imported by the Italian mafia. They also had a stronghold on SE Asian weed that came into NY, because they were the only organization powerful enough to ensure safe passage thru the airports.

Whatever happened with the BOEL in Hawaii is incidental to the haze story in my opinion, not because they weren't potentially involved, but because the best genes came from Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, and could just as easily come from those places, via innumerable sources.

I would also say British, that while I enjoyed yesterday's rumination on Nev having the early Colombian and Mexican Haze, and this is a speculation that Tom Hill has made (that his Haze is more Thai influenced than MNS Hz) in Nev's words he considers Hz A and C to be strongly Thai influenced. And with all due respect to you and Tom, considering Nev's famous olfactory acuity and the thousands of strains that have passed under his nose over the last 3 decades, I'd have to give more weight to his opinion.

A success rate of 1 in 20 = superior dope sounds like the bagseed I used to collect from average deals as a teenager, you'd grow 20 plants and one would be truly psychedelic, a couple would be good and the rest crap. But the older guys always had better dealers and better dope. So 5% sounds like the return a teenager should get. Not a man.

A man should get at least a 20% return on his haze:D

Be good to see if Kanga, Nev and Donald can identify who has the man size haze.

Need some blind testing though, so in the spirit of scientific veracity I suggest that Kanga gives a third party with no vested interests a bud of each sample (better make that an ounce) in a separate code labeled bag, and I'll smoke it giving an honest account of each:D
 
Bushy

Interesting input,that was appreciated

Where you referring to howard mark ? if soo can you provide what source id love to read it.

Although my interest and Her where not the same ,I must remind you la madrina http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griselda_Blanco.In the 70's would n could have anything brought in and she did.In her words not exact ,she is the baddest bitch to breath air .She supplied the mafioso when she came to queens in the early 70's,Not bud of course


I second your testing on the haze project,I appreciate your fine details my brother.



1luvbigherb
 
the same story as you stated bushy has been repeated many times; ie the mafia on the east coast had a stranglehold on the columbian weed for a long time. and even though i would give my left nut for a bale of that lumbo today, there was a time in the usa where most of it was considered very commercial in nature especially compared to treats coming from the west coast like the afghan surfboards and various thai strains often tied to sticks. even with the mob quickly becoming involved in the coke biz, the best of that was out of peru and coming from out west. the boel had it locked down for a long time and then it was over? peace-biteme
 
Well as long as we are involved in wild conjecture about the origins of "Original Haze" allow me to put forth a much more plausible explanation:

Everyone agrees that Nevil purchased approximately 2000 seeds from Sam S. and that out of these 2000, 7 seeds germinated. Now supposing Sam was actually telling the truth when he said those were the only seeds he had, which he had traded to the Haze brothers for his Skunk #1. And lets remember, if Sam were to have saved some of those seeds because of their extremely low germination rates, Sam would have had to save at least 1000 seeds or more and I think it is probably a safe bet to say he didn't do this, after all, at this time lets remember Haze was not yet the rage, because the Seedbank had not yet released any of its Haze.


Now Lets flash forward a few years, Nevil has created and released several of the Haze Hybrids he created from those few seeds that germinated, They are all the rage, winning cannabis cups everywhere, and generally being hailed as the best shit to ever hit Holland, and everyone here is well aware that Sam S. is not happy at all about this, in fact over the years he starts changing his story about the haze all over the place, and making up all kinds of crazy contradictory shit, that even a small child wouldn't believe.

However, Despite Sam's distress that he let such a gem escape his greedy little hands, he sees an opportunity in all this. Secretly, he appropriates some Seedbank Haze stock, and crosses it with a number of plants of unknown origin and publicly claims that in fact, contrary to his initial claim, those seeds he sold Nevil were not the only Haze seeds after all. In fact he still had the “Original Haze”, which he had been keeping secret for so many years and lo and behold, he was finally ready to release them pure despite all his myriad contradictory lies and accusations against Nevil.

The rest of course is history.
 
G`day Folks
while the topic of conversation is brother Watson . The twist in this Tale that I haven`t been able comprehend is that iniatially Mr Watson got his knickers in a twist because NVL was selling Daves lines as pure lines ???? The only "pure "line that I can recognise comming from NVL originating from Sammy would be Skunk#1 the rest were Hybrids .
Then I read a post by brother Watson under the handle Sam SKUNKMAN at IC mag saying he didn`t rate NVL as a breeder because all he did was make hybrids and had little skill in preserving a line as Dave would have us believe that he does .

I sat back and scratched my head and considered the contradiction that is the man Dave Watson the entity known as The Sunkman aka Jingles etc ..
Damn Californians they`re a crazy bunch .
In the words of Bono from Rattle and Hum "Only in America, Only in America...... "
Thanks for sharin
Elmer Bud .

This is a touchy topic that Nevil spoke on abit ,id just like to add.

Nevil says there were no conditions/deal/agreement

The 85/86 catalog is a place to look which can be the argument,there are several pure varieties which come Via SAMS,But if you look Sams also mentions that no hybrids using both his varieties were to be made.I Dont believe that line ,But cant imagine no agreement was had.


I think Sams got some pair to make that statment about Nevil ,who has given credit where it's due and been honest about his source of genetics. When SAMS made his name from varieties he never bred.Tooo think Sams had smoked all the haze varieties :D and Nevil admitts he neva smoked santa cruz haze ,But Not one of SAMS haze varietes recieved world acclaim ,on the other hand Nevil will be in gardens for all eternity



1luvbigherb
 
According to Howard Marx, most of the Colombian weed that entered the US (usually via Florida) in the 60s and 70s, was imported by the Italian mafia. They also had a stronghold on SE Asian weed that came into NY, because they were the only organization powerful enough to ensure safe passage thru the airports.

Whatever happened with the BOEL in Hawaii is incidental to the haze story in my opinion, not because they weren't potentially involved, but because the best genes came from Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, and could just as easily come from those places, via innumerable sources.

I would also say British, that while I enjoyed yesterday's rumination on Nev having the early Colombian and Mexican Haze, and this is a speculation that Tom Hill has made (that his Haze is more Thai influenced than MNS Hz) in Nev's words he considers Hz A and C to be strongly Thai influenced. And with all due respect to you and Tom, considering Nev's famous olfactory acuity and the thousands of strains that have passed under his nose over the last 3 decades, I'd have to give more weight to his opinion.

A success rate of 1 in 20 = superior dope sounds like the bagseed I used to collect from average deals as a teenager, you'd grow 20 plants and one would be truly psychedelic, a couple would be good and the rest crap. But the older guys always had better dealers and better dope. So 5% sounds like the return a teenager should get. Not a man.

A man should get at least a 20% return on his haze:D

Be good to see if Kanga, Nev and Donald can identify who has the man size haze.

Need some blind testing though, so in the spirit of scientific veracity I suggest that Kanga gives a third party with no vested interests a bud of each sample (better make that an ounce) in a separate code labeled bag, and I'll smoke it giving an honest account of each:D

Hiya bushie

I've discussed Thais and Colombians with Nev and one thing that we ruminated about was the planting of Thai seed in Colombia. After we had that chat I did some research and there is a Time article from the mid 70s where they mentioned that Thai seed had been planted at high altitude in Colombia and produced a very high grade product that was known as 'Sky Blue Blonde'.

The spicy, leathery, earthy, nutty, woodsy flavours I've always thought of as coming from Colombians may not be from Colombians, Nev associated those type of flavours with a type of Thai I seem to recall.

The reasons why I thought the original 'Haze' may have been Mexican/Colombian are fairly simple and could well be wrong:

1. Most of the weed in the early 60s in the US was from Mexico, it was only later in the decade as the BOEL and others made conections around the world that weed from other places began to arrive. If someone were to start a breeding program in the early to mid 60s I just think it's pretty likely they would have used Mexican genes in part because they were so easily available and the quality was amazing with the right selections.

2. If they found an exceptional Thai or Colombian then it would struggle to flower and finish in California so the logical thing would be to cross it to a Mexican which would finish in Cali.

3. Sam and RCC both wrote that the 'Haze Bros' began with Mexican/Colombian.

The Oaxacan I have from 76 is able to finish very well further north, a friend almost got one to finish up here in England, another couple of weeks of good weather and it would have been brilliant. So I am sure an Oaxacan or Michoacan would finish great in Cali and there are old pics of people growing huge Oaxacans in the US from the 70s. Also, that Oaxacan and the couple of other Mexicans I've grown have been big yielders, they produce large colas of good density for a sat. I would see them being ideal for crossing to a Thai because Thais usually don't produce all that much and tend to grow small flowers widely seperated along lanky branches. Thai/Mexican hybrid or Colombian/Mexican I can see far outperforming either the Thai or Colombian in pure form in Cali.

You know, at the end of the day, all this stuff doesn't really matter anymore, what happened in Cali 50 years ago isn't very consequential anymore because what is far more important is what happens today and tomorrow in Australia. However, as bushie says, I reckon Nev and the fellas will be able to sort out with their eyes, noses and palettes what is what with the remaining Haze variants and if there is anything worth working with you'll be able to spot it.

Biggest reason why I think it would be good for you lads to grow the various Hazes isn't to sort out what it what, it is to have them to compare to other things. What I mean is, how better to judge the local Australian sativa heirlooms than by directly comparing them to a few versions of Haze? For instance, I would be very excited if you fellas tell me in 6 months that you've found two of three local varieties that are much better than anything that popped out of the Hazes you also grew.
 
Come on Jesse, wise up, 'R' was Rob Clarke. All the magazine writings about Haze are from the Sam/Rob camp so they are all singing from the same hymn sheet and telling the same story. For the truth you have to look elsewhere.

I wrote about this before, but the term 'Haze' goes back to the early 60s and has military connections. Jimi Hendrix was a soldier and he heard the term 'Purple Haze' while in the army as it was used to describe the smoke grenades they used that produced clouds of purple smoke. The Owsley Stanley acid batch that got labelled Purple Haze was named after the song, Owsley confirmed this, it's a well-known story. Jimi wrote Purple Haze the song between August and Novemeber 1966 while living in London, Chas Chandler who was managing him at the time confirmed this. The song was recorded in Novemeber in London and Hendrix performed it live for the frst time on US soil at the legendary Monterrey Festival in the Sumemr of the following year which of course, was the (in)famous 'Summer of Love'. Owsley Stanley was there at Monterrey and met Hendrix and Hendrix dropped some Owsley acid but it wasn't the Purple Haze batch. Purple Haze the song was one of the most played tracks on US radio stations that summer so was a huge part of the sountrack to the Summer of Love. Owsley listened to the radio while he was mixing up the batch he called Purple Haze and heard the song so many times. He doesn't clearly remember how/why/when he chose the name but suspected it was because there was no better marketing gimmick than to name the acid after the biggest number 1 hit single of the time.

Hendrix always claimed he wrote the song after having a dream where he was under the sea and became enveloped in a strange purple cloud.

All of that is easily verified as fact.

Now, as for the term Haze itself, where did that come from? Like I said, it came out of the jungles of Vietnam. US forces were involved in various semi-legitimate and semi-covert operations there as soon as the French left, so while the actual shooting war with large-scale US involvment didn't really kick off until 65 there were a lot of US personnel out there years before that. 'Hazed' became a common term among US servicemen and as more and more cycled through it spread. When it transferred into popular culture is unknown but it's safe to say it was already widespread by the time in the early 60s when Hendrix was in uniform.

Some research into the BOEL is essential to understand the Californian and wider US dope scene at that time. The BOEL were most of the market, they completely dominated things, these were not crazy dirty hippies they were very smart and sophisticated businessmen, guys like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Jay Miner, Sam Tramiel who all came from the same place and built the modern computer industry or George Lucas, the BOEL guys were of the same calibre just they chose a different trade.

It is easy to prove that the BOEL were financing sophisticated cannabis farms in the 60s in Hawaii, the weed produced there was said to be the very finest around and was shipped to the Bay Area in a vast high-tech operation, they had the latest best packing technology using vacuum sealed foil. The packages were a kilo each and had a printed dragon label, that much is also proven. But what was it? Was it called Haze? Was it the Mexican/Colombian we think sparked off Sam's work? The BOEL hired the best academic graduates from the top universities like UC Santa Cruz and Berkeley, the people they hired to run their farms were top calibre, the BOEL aimed to produce the best weed they could so they could charge the best prices, there was no pint in producing something at the same level as was being produced at that time in Mexico in vast quantities, I mean, what was the point in growing Oaxacan Gold or Michoacan Brown in Hawaii when the Sierra Madres at that time were covered in marijuana fields, remember, this is long before Nixon and The War On Drugs, it was a different world. The BOEL spent a ton of money on their Hawaiian operation so you can bet they didn't skimp on the genes, they were more than savvy enough to know they needed something new if they were to produce something special. It can't be proven of course, but I expect it is very likely they hired the best botanists and horticulturalists, provided them with the best seeds from around the world and all the best equipment and resources and them them to work on Hawaii to create the best pot possible. Whatever it was they came up with we know it was shipped out in those dragon-emblazoned foil packages and must have been pretty damn good as it sold for what at the time were said to be stupendous prices. If Acapulco Gold was the Ford family car of the time, the BOEL Hawaiian shipments represented the Rolls Royces - the cream for the elite who could afford it. Sam was in High School at this time.

What connections Sam has to the BOEL I don't know and don't much care, I don't think he's that important in this story to be honest.

So while there is a lot of room for speculation in this whole thing, lots of it can be tied down by fact. To summarise the issue would go something like this:

In the 1960s in California there was an explosion in the consumption of weed, the economy was booming, people were spending more and more on leisure and the times they were a changing as someone sang. The US-Mexican border was pretty much wide open and weed was flowing north like crazy, a lot of it good quality golden brown coloured almost sensimilla and it was dirt cheap. Sometime in the early 60s the term Haze became widely used so that by the mid 60s it was commonly used in reference to smoking weed - getting 'Hazed' was a term first coined by US servicemen.

By the mid 60s the weed market was getting so big that there existed different markets for different levels of quality, for the first time sophisticated, discerning consumers were demanding better and better product, the masses were still happy toking on Mexican imports but there were a growing number who wanted better and the changes in society meant they had the disposable income to spend. The people who were supplying most of the market at that time were the BOEL and they were making more money than they could spend, they became a global enterprise running huge shipments of hash from Asia, weed from SE Asia, Colombia, Mexico and elsewhere. Sometime during their heyday the BOEL setup a farm in Hawaii to produce the best possible product for the very upper tier of the consumerbase. They shipped the weed produced to the mainland in state of the art vacuum sealed packages emblazoned with a dragon print and it was widely recognised as the very best quality yet seen and brought the very highest prices. The end of the 60s coincided with the downfall of the BOEL and it was all over.

I'm not saying this BOEL weed from Hawaiia was Haze or was even called Haze I don't know.

Now, isn't it a coincidence that a young guy who probably worked for the BOEL started growing an exceptional Mexican/Colombian hybrid right at the time when the BOEL had just disintegrated? Isn't it likely that this guy would start his growing career by planting the very best seed he had been able to obtain? We know the best around in the late 60s was that BOEL 'Dragon' weed from Hawaii, it had to be, otherwise why where they able to get such high prices for it? So this young man would have been smart and even if he wasn't part of the BOEL, he would have known (like everyone else in Cali knew) that the BOEL were the source of the best stuff. Being smart, he would have chosen to plant the best and it's just logical he planted seeds from the old Hawaiian operation's output. He'd been on the hippie trail in the year or two before and had collected seed from the best sativa weed he had encountered, which was in Kerala in South India which at that time was still enjoying legal cultivation of ganja and was producing extremely fine quality for sale in the tens of thousands of licensed shops. He also had seeds from the very best Thai that had passed through the Bay Area in the late 60s. So being smart, he thought the best thing to do was to grow these three truly exceptional seedlots and interbreed them, that way he might just create something even more special than what he began with.

Now that last paragraph is just me speculating about Sam. He said he was in High School in 1965, in Kerala in 1970 and Kabul in early 71. He said he returned to Cali from Afghanistan in 71. He also said he was the source of the Thai and Indian seeds that were grown there and crossed to the Mexican/Colombian they began with so all I'm doing is connecting the dots and comparing to the bigger picture of what was happening at the time and it does seem to all fit together.

Until Tom Forcade came along and started High Times in the mid 70s there was pretty much no sources of info at all on any of these subjects. Time magazine did a big feature piece on Mexican cannabis production in the mid-70s too and Cherniak started on his photo books. Mel Frank came along in 78 and Jorge Cervantes and Ed Rosenthal just after that. Until that article about 'Jingles' was posted a couple of months back we had almost nothing in written form about Sam from the 70s. It must be remembered that High Times was dominated by the articles of Rob Clarke and Ed Rosenthal and they are both close collaborators with Sam so everything written in that magazine is from their side of things and deliberately distorted (or just made up) to make it look like Sam started everything when the truth is rather more complicated and there are many others who deserve an equal share of the credit.

Sam's story as far as Haze goes doesn't even start until he returns from Kabul in 71 and that is when the BOEL ended so really, that doesn't mark the beginning of the Haze story as Sam and his cronies have been telling it since the early 80s through High Times; what it really marks is the closing of the first chapter of the Haze story and the beginning of the second chapter. The third chapter begins in 1985 when Nevil bought Haze seeds from Sam and the fourth chapter is yet to be written but I think pen is about to meet paper and chapter four is just beginning to be written, will be set in the Outback somewhere and will feature the return of the main character from chapter three.

It's like a Greek saga and I'm much more interested in staying tuned for the final installment instead of rewinding to the beginning.

R the dope connoisseur in high times is a journalist called Ron Rosenbaum its all over google if you type his name in with high times dope connoisseur, he now has a very successful career apparently. It eant Rob Clarke I thought it was him as well. LOL cheers take care.
 
Damn, I was sure it was Rob Clarke, the writing styles are so similar.
 
I always thought there was a bit too much 'New Yorker' in R's writerly voice to be Clarke, so to me Rosenbaum-as-R makes a lot of sense...
 
I've heard the stories about the "Haze Brothers" & others who were supposedly responsible for creating "Haze".

I don't think any single person can take credit for the Original Haze. Besides I always thought that they were created, by gathering & crossing the best Sativas available in the 60's. I haven't read the whole thread only the first bit & last cos I ain't reading 40+ pages lol. I found Sativa strains in Australia that were very similar to Hazes & they were incredible. As far as I know, they were just particularly good Sativa Crosses.
 
Cheesefucker


thanks for the verification,Just as i said RR

It be great to get in touch with that guy


1luvbigherb
 
Damn, I was sure it was Rob Clarke, the writing styles are so similar.

Very similar mate I was sure it was Rob Clarke as well, I would love to talk with him as well big herb mate I really like his writing style. Does anyone believe most of his stories that you read in vintage high times copies ? I think I do. Its just the one about when he got together with that millionaire women who had some Columbian Gold that belonged to Tom Forcade it all sounded a bit to made up to me, a little fictional. I would love those stories to be true though iv got no reason to doubt him. Cheers CF.
 
Surfers were definitely one of the first groups responsible for bringing in herb and seeds back to the states in the early days. I also agree with the poster who mentioned the merchant marines. I don't know if they were able to bring in the kind of weight that the BOEL or others were able to bring in though. Returning vets from Cambodia and Vietnam were also a source of seed, but this is well known already.

I've heard that a movie called "Sea of Darkness" is supposed to be a pretty accurate portrayal of the whole surfer smuggler thing going on in the 70's. Can't find it anywhere, but if any of you guys are good at finding movies on the internet and find a trusted place to download it from, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, Bruce Perlowin would be someone who might be able to help connect the dots as far as what was going on in California in the 70's. He was supposedly a major smuggler operating out of the west coast back in the 70's and 80's. He has a website and some of you may have heard/seen him on cnbc when they did that whole marijuana inc episode.

I reckon he's got something to add to the story regarding the BOEL and how much they controlled herb in California. He says he was smuggling in tons of herb and he wasn't a member of the BOEL as far as I know. I actually have a hard time believing that the BOEL were the only ones smuggling herb into California at that time, in fact, I don't believe that to be the case AT ALL. Seems a little too convenient to assume they were the only ones serious about bringing herb into California.

British Hempire, have you read that book that came out recently called "Orange Sunshine"? It's supposed to be a history of the BOEL. I scanned through it and it's a good read.
 
Last edited:
I've heard the stories about the "Haze Brothers" & others who were supposedly responsible for creating "Haze".

I don't think any single person can take credit for the Original Haze. Besides I always thought that they were created, by gathering & crossing the best Sativas available in the 60's. I haven't read the whole thread only the first bit & last cos I ain't reading 40+ pages lol. I found Sativa strains in Australia that were very similar to Hazes & they were incredible. As far as I know, they were just particularly good Sativa Crosses.

Bingo! You, my friend hit the nail on the friggin head! You don't need to read what I wrote because that was the exact crux of what I was getting at!

Sam and the Haze Bros and Rob Clarke and all that pallaver happened in the 70s. Sam was in High School in the 60s, he wrote the first time he smoked was with a Russian chick in 65 in High School, he was on the hippie trail in 70 and 71.

Whatever the roots of Haze, they predate Sam and the 70s and we will probably never trace them precisely.

All we can do is look at the available facts and make informed guesses.

Fact that Haze came from Cali. Fact it was selling for upto 500 an oz in the late 60s (heard that not just from Sam but others, one fact I ran into a couple of times in my research was old timers had heard of Haze but never smoked or boguth any cos it was uber-expensive and you could buy an elbow of amazing golden Mexican for peanutes. Fact that the BOEL was a big player in the weed trade in Cali. Fact they had a farm in Hawaii and others elsewhere that produced high grade.

Beyond that we can't go without stepping into speculation and I don't think it's fruitful to do so really.

Very similar mate I was sure it was Rob Clarke as well, I would love to talk with him as well big herb mate I really like his writing style. Does anyone believe most of his stories that you read in vintage high times copies ? I think I do. Its just the one about when he got together with that millionaire women who had some Columbian Gold that belonged to Tom Forcade it all sounded a bit to made up to me, a little fictional. I would love those stories to be true though iv got no reason to doubt him. Cheers CF.

Well, I think HT was more believable when Tom Forcade ran it. After he left the old writers like Harlan Ang, 'R' and others left and HT in the 80s was all about Sam, RCC, Ed R, etc etc, and those guys are all tied together and I wouldn't believe anything any of them wrote unless a creditable third party verified it. Were the 'Haze Bros' ever mentioned in HT in the 70s? Earliest reference I have seen is an early 80s mag where they had a pic of some 'Haze Bros Kush', I think that was an RCC article.

You see, I firmly believe that there has been a whole false 'legend' developed by Sam, RCC and their cronies. They used HT as their mouthpiece for many years, I think Steve Hager figured out the truth about those guys in the end but long after it was too late. You can speculate all you want about the reasons why Sam and RCC have built their legends but whatever you guess it doesn't look good, maybe they just want to take all the credit and it's an ego thing or maybe there's more to it? Jesse would probably have some input at that point...

On the Colombian Gold article, I think he has highly fictionalised the encounter but there is a story that Tom Forcade was heavily involved in the shipping of Colombian to NYC and that was where the money to setup HT came from. If you do some research into Tom and HT then re-read that article it makes more sense to some degree.

Surfers were definitely one of the first groups responsible for bringing in herb and seeds back to the states in the early days. I also agree with the poster who mentioned the merchant marines. I don't know if they were able to bring in the kind of weight that the BOEL or others were able to bring in though. Returning vets from Cambodia and Vietnam were also a source of seed, but this is well known already.

I've heard that a movie called "Sea of Darkness" is supposed to be a pretty accurate portrayal of the whole surfer smuggler thing going on in the 70's. Can't find it anywhere, but if any of you guys are good at finding movies on the internet and find a trusted place to download it from, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, Bruce Perlowin would be someone who might be able to help connect the dots as far as what was going on in California in the 70's. He was supposedly a major smuggler operating out of the west coast back in the 70's and 80's. He has a website and some of you may have heard/seen him on cnbc when they did that whole marijuana inc episode.

I reckon he's got something to add to the story regarding the BOEL and how much they controlled herb in California. He says he was smuggling in tons of herb and he wasn't a member of the BOEL as far as I know. I actually have a hard time believing that the BOEL were the only ones smuggling herb into California at that time, in fact, I don't believe that to be the case AT ALL. Seems a little too convenient to assume they were the only ones serious about bringing herb into California.

British Hempire, have you read that book that came out recently called "Orange Sunshine"? It's supposed to be a history of the BOEL. I scanned through it and it's a good read.

Not read Orange Sunshine or seen the film version but I have seen a couple of BOEL documentaries and I think it's dead easy to work out when the surfers first went where - just study when the commercial jet airline routes started up to various destinations. In one documentary they showed super 8 footage of guys surfing in deserted tropical beaches in 58, that was when they first started travelling they said, I forget where that was now, might have been hte Pacific coast of Mexico. Basically, as soon as there were jets flying to places like Hawaii, South Africa, Indonesia and wherever else has legendary surf there were surfers from California getting on them with their boards. California's economy was absolutely booming in the late 50s and these kids had plenty of money, they were white upper middle class and a lot of them had rich parents. The BOEL was formed by these early surfers. You have to remember that until the late 60s it wasn't hard to smuggle a bagful of whatever you liked, customs checks were crap, security checks non-existant, remember that until the Palestinians blew up some airliners in the 70s that you could take anything you wanted on a plane, you could smoke on a plane etc. There is a great story of a young Australian guy of Lebanese descent bring a few pounds of primo hash back to Oz and when customs opened his case and said 'what's this?' he said 'it's Lebanese food' the customs guys said 'smells bloody awful' put it back and let him on his way. He brought a lot more back after that without getting stopped. LSD wasn't made illegal until the late 60s, it must have been a wonderful time to be young and want to get high. I wonder how many surfboards came home stuffed with exotic dope?

I might have to look into writing an article about the weed aspects of the BOEL. There is a fair bit of stuff written about them but most of it barely touches on the weed and focuses on the fascinating nature of their criminal enterprises and the LSD production in th late 60s.
 
Not read Orange Sunshine or seen the film version but I have seen a couple of BOEL documentaries and I think it's dead easy to work out when the surfers first went where - just study when the commercial jet airline routes started up to various destinations. In one documentary they showed super 8 footage of guys surfing in deserted tropical beaches in 58, that was when they first started travelling they said, I forget where that was now, might have been hte Pacific coast of Mexico. Basically, as soon as there were jets flying to places like Hawaii, South Africa, Indonesia and wherever else has legendary surf there were surfers from California getting on them with their boards. California's economy was absolutely booming in the late 50s and these kids had plenty of money, they were white upper middle class and a lot of them had rich parents. The BOEL was formed by these early surfers. You have to remember that until the late 60s it wasn't hard to smuggle a bagful of whatever you liked, customs checks were crap, security checks non-existant, remember that until the Palestinians blew up some airliners in the 70s that you could take anything you wanted on a plane, you could smoke on a plane etc. There is a great story of a young Australian guy of Lebanese descent bring a few pounds of primo hash back to Oz and when customs opened his case and said 'what's this?' he said 'it's Lebanese food' the customs guys said 'smells bloody awful' put it back and let him on his way. He brought a lot more back after that without getting stopped. LSD wasn't made illegal until the late 60s, it must have been a wonderful time to be young and want to get high. I wonder how many surfboards came home stuffed with exotic dope?

I might have to look into writing an article about the weed aspects of the BOEL. There is a fair bit of stuff written about them but most of it barely touches on the weed and focuses on the fascinating nature of their criminal enterprises and the LSD production in th 60s.

From what I can gather, the BOEL wasn't founded by surfers only. From what I read, it was a mixed bag of people.

I found this link which is a nice read if you haven't checked it out yet.

The BOEL article is near the bottom of the page.

The Psychedelic Library — Book Menu
 
Last edited:
Good point Hemp, like I said, the documentaries I've seen on the BOEL all took a particular aspect to focus on, the one that had the footage of the early surfers focused on the surfing aspect and was full of interviews with old surfers, it wasn't about the BOEL in particular and kind of glossed over the drug dealing side of things.
 
Being a surfer myself, I'd love to check out those documentaries you saw. Do you remember the titles of them so I can look them up? Thanks.

I can't remember now, one I downloaded, the other was on one of the documentary channels.
 
i have some problems with timelines ... or how to make it even more complicated :D

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/96628-post2.html

a short reroute ^^

its said the haze bros quit growing haze bc of skunk, so there last crop wasnt haze ...
its also said that they started with the columbian - mexican lines ...

where and when is their first afghani?
first skunk appeard mid 70s ...
for my "understanding" too early for the skunk to appear, not storywise, breedingwise ... 10 outdoor runs prior .. we are in mid 60s ...

i wasnt there, just something bugs me, to say it loud i really dont know, but i got a feeling, that in mid 60s .. those "growers" werent that "crazy" like we r today, doing 6 crosses within a year for breeding purpose only ... i just cant imagine that, there was no buizz besides the bud buizz imho, and a few lonley seed-in-envelope-packers ;)

also ... looking at the skunk ... all todays explanations, are too well said, to make something coicindently looking like on purpose, as far as i understand, skunk was a lucky shot, like some of the hazes were ... some good recombination, i read over its "breeding" ... lol ... nice way to excuse open field pollination lol ... but thats another story ... ;)

them r too conected: haze n skunk ... their roots, their story .. sisters maybe ?

we need to clarify that ghani, to get another puzzle in the haze story
 
Back
Top