NL#2

@Deach69 said: "Could there be an advantage to giving it a long slow death indoors, in the dark? It's in a fabric pot, I could make a dark room for it in the barn."

Hello Deach69!

There are many theories about this but I don't have first hand experience to say anything to help you make a good decision with a favorable outcome on this. Here is one theory:

"Yet another theory says that at night sugars and starches travel from the above-ground part of a plant to the root zone and are stored there for future use. Now sugars and starches aren’t something that improves the quality of the smoke. On the contrary, they make it harsh and the taste unpleasant. To get rid of these unwanted substances (and the chlorophyll) growers slowly dry and cure their buds for several weeks. However, you can do the same with the long dark phase before harvest. At least, partly."

This year I set my lights to stop coming on this past Tuesday morning. I was going to harvest then(good sound theories for this) but life got in the damn way and I was not able to harvest until late Thursday afternoon! So they were in the dark for close to 3 days. I have not seen anything about them going more than 3 days in the dark. "As we already mentioned, experiments have confirmed the efficacy of 72 hours, or 3 days." They are hanging now so I will know in a few months if a couple of days in the dark had any noticeable effect on them.

Below is an article on it. While I don't have a betting opinion on it yet, I have not seen Shantibaba or musashi weight in on the subject so I suspect it is not needed. I rarely smoke anything before 3-4 months of curing so whatever the darkness would have done has mostly likely been done by my curing time. Cerainly willing to hear anyone with experience on this! Interested to see what you do! :)

https://weedkb.com/dark-before-harvest/

(EDIT) I suspect knowing how to use a brix meter will eliminate the need for any extended dark time at harvest. Never used one but I won't be able to say that before long! ;)

Longball
Thanks for going to the trouble Lb, I appreciate it. Looking forward to hear of anyone elses experience with this, I'll probably try it anyway :)
 
Thanks, Deach69! I'm about to get a little experience as 6 of my plants went 3 days in the dark! It's win-win either way. At worse it's certainly still good enough to gift or bake with, at best, it's good enough to smoke. Reasonable odds. ;) If I remember this thread in 3-4 months, I'll report back!

Longball
 
So, I pulled my Rons cut R2 (NL2) and Freezeland/R2 (NL2) over the weekend, found a little bit of mould so I called it a season, will give a smoke report later on. They sure made for pretty pictures

FYI, I brought them up in this older thread concerning NL2 for historical reasons. I think it's pretty cool to see these 2 SSSC strains going around (*edit* I just realized I had been confused between SSSc and The Seed Bank, my apologies), and thriving in subpar cannabis growing conditions. Also, as far as I know, the 2 NL2 strains I brought up can't be purchased on the internet. That being said, I'll remind yall of this Shanti quote

@shantibaba -
Hi All

Well i was going through the fridges over Xmas with my daughter and we found 2 large bags with all Nevil old breeding stock from 1996, 1998 and 2001...all labelled well and withNL1. NL2, NL5 seed crosses in abundance as well as G13 crosses and so many others....so it seems all has been vacuumed sealed and remained untouched for quite some years...but selected a bunch of seed stock to try and get going in Feb 2021....a time to bring back the corner store products. Try to get a bunch of the old potent Hash plant seeds working and will post photos of all the others we put in heating mat germinating tables....should bring back some memories for those old enough...and time to give a tribute to Nevil and his genetic work and seed collection obviously with a Shantibaba selection ...but it is the best we can offer for now!

Hope the new year brings good spirits and good health to you all....Sb

That's very exciting news IMO, I love the history of the primary strains featured here at MNS. The future of cannabis is in these strains

Freezeland/NL2 (R2)
DSC_0010 [800x600].JPG
 
Last edited:
Interesting thread guys
Yes it's sad Sensi went to the wayside
It makes it worse if you consider the genetics they held
After the shake up in Holland late 90,s many breeders Los their genetics
I guess Sensi just worked with what they had
Nevil mentioned the Hindu Kush maybe NL#2 genetics, considering the genetics involved to make the Inbred line
Probably why Sensi still uses the pic
No idea what they use today
I've always heard about the R2, onot ever had hybrids
I'm not sure if A frame and simular Canadian genetics stem from the same time
They just rang a bell in my head when thinking about R2? Might be Timewarp I'm thinking about
Anyway, nice show
Sensient
 
Hi All

Well i was going through the fridges over Xmas with my daughter and we found 2 large bags with all Nevil old breeding stock from 1996, 1998 and 2001...all labelled well and withNL1. NL2, NL5 seed crosses in abundance as well as G13 crosses and so many others....so it seems all has been vacuumed sealed and remained untouched for quite some years...but selected a bunch of seed stock to try and get going in Feb 2021....a time to bring back the corner store products. Try to get a bunch of the old potent Hash plant seeds working and will post photos of all the others we put in heating mat germinating tables....should bring back some memories for those old enough...and time to give a tribute to Nevil and his genetic work and seed collection obviously with a Shantibaba selection ...but it is the best we can offer for now!

Hope the new year brings good spirits and good health to you all....Sb
Hi Shanti!
It's been a year since you made this post about bringing back something from your cache of old NL and Hashplant gear from Nevil.
Anything new to report on the project? Hungry for some "corner store products"

Thanks :tiphat:
 
Hi Shanti!
It's been a year since you made this post about bringing back something from your cache of old NL and Hashplant gear from Nevil.
Anything new to report on the project? Hungry for some "corner store products"

Thanks :tiphat:
That would be awesome....
Are you the same Cap'n? From on 420mag who had those awesome threads ? Any way nice seeing you around..
 
Hey guys, I'm thinking with the current world events ECT that alot of seed production/breeding projects would be put on hold or taking a lot longer than usual, priorities/keeping stock up of current lines ECT.
I'm sure when the times right we,ll see the fruits of these projects
Good things come to those that wait yeah?
Much love
Sensient
 
That would be awesome....
Are you the same Cap'n? From on 420mag who had those awesome threads ? Any way nice seeing you around..
Hi Island. Nice seeing you too!

Where I'm Cptn, I'm Cptn.
No other spelling is me.

Hey guys, I'm thinking with the current world events ECT that alot of seed production/breeding projects would be put on hold or taking a lot longer than usual, priorities/keeping stock up of current lines ECT.
I'm sure when the times right we,ll see the fruits of these projects
Good things come to those that wait yeah?
Much love
Sensient

I know right? It's only been a year . . .
Based on the flood of genetics from other breeders hitting the market though, I'd say that world events aren't impacting the timeline.

@shantibaba could just sell us those Nev seeds directly I guess.
I'd buy a pack.
 
If Im thinking about it.. My Nl5Hz x Mk sounds like it could be something new.. Wonder if it is actualy some old crosing, or something new directly from Shanti house...

Hopefully, we will get to Hashplants and so on...

On the other hand, I think G13xAfghan Skunk must be good hashplant to wait with, for more oldschool strains to come...

Yet, eagerly waiting here as you :)
 
Back
Top