Mango Haze: Selection In Small Spaces

Day 23 Flowering

So the pH has started to crash like I predicted it would. I'm suspecting that the plants are consuming all of the calcium out of the formula is why this is happening so I added CalMag to my lineup.

ph_root%20mechanism.gif

My next update should reveal a higher ending pH if I diagnosed right.

I'm already supplementing with potassium so I know it's not that so I'm just about positive that CalMag is going to solve the problem.

attachment.php

I restarted my veg area today and made the switch to Rockwool dice in containers.

In the 2 gallon containers are the new 8 week and 14 week MH mothers, in the 1 gallon are my 3 MH F2 seedlings and in the bull pin is a single 14 week pheno that I am going to let go all natural for the next round. The 6" net cup in the hydro is new and I really like the way that the 4" cube fit right in. It opens up allot of options being able to veg in the big cube then move it to the hydro.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This new approach to my vegging area is way better than anything I've done in the past which was usually a multi-site DWC of some sort. Individual containers are the way to go.

Peace.

Attachments

• mhb2day73.jpg
    mhb2day73.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 570
  • PIC_0184.JPG
    PIC_0184.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 570
  • PIC_0191.JPG
    PIC_0191.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 629
Looking great dude, following closely ... you mentioned defolitation, was that lollipopping or or a more determined bonsai approach?

PS; I love the little reflective covers, hadn't spotted that trick before.

cheers,
rabbit

Looking great dude, following closely ... you mentioned defolitation, was that lollipopping or or a more determined bonsai approach?

PS; I love the little reflective covers, hadn't spotted that trick before.

cheers,
rabbit

Hiya, Rabbit.

The defoliation was done mostly because there was just too much vegetation. I probably could have removed twice what I did and the garden would still be maxed out.

The reflective covers work great to keep algae from growing on the Rockwool which is the reason for using them.

Thanks for dropping in.

Peace.

Making progress on understanding light spectrum.

So...something that's been blowing my mind for the last few days is what happens when you compare the chart I posted on the previous page with a spectroscopic analysis of sunlight on clear and cloudy days:

chloroabs.gif

Sunny Day:

solar%2011-3-07%20b.bmp

Cloudy/Hazey Day:

SUNLINES.JPG

Notice that the spectrum tapers at the ends on a cloudy day and is relative to where photosynthesis shifts from Chlorophyll A to Chlorophyll B on the chart.

Note that the chlorophyll chart is ascending while the spectroscope is descending.

The red end of the spectrum varies between 650nm and 660nm and that's exactly where the valley between chlor A&B is on the chart. The same is true at the blue end of the spectrum where the valley and shift both occur between 425nm and 445nm.

I don't really know what that all proves but the relationship is undeniable.

The useful application is naturally indoor lighting.

HI-P-NA.JPG

All climatic factors considered I'd say that plants around the world are subject mostly to sunlight in the chlor B sensitivity while chlor A fluctuates.

The HPS looks to produce chlor B in the red spectrum and chlor A in the blue spectrum. There is a gap exactly where chlor b tops the chart in the blue end and the red end does not reach chlor a sensitivity hardly at all.

I estimate that HPS produces more chlor a spectrum than a plant would receive throughout the year in most parts of the world. This could be a factor regarding varieties that are sensitive to artificial light.

So...This means that I'm probably wrong about the success of the orange filter being due to blocking green light. The amount of chlor A producing light that I'm blocking out of the blue spectrum is far more significant.

21.jpg

I estimate that my filter and light combination is at about a 6:1 of chlorB to chlorA.

Which also means that there are some bad pieces of info in my LED light rant where I said that plants always have more chlorA which is true but that doesn't mean that plants require more light in that spectrum.

More to come.

Peace.

Hiya, Rabbit.

The defoliation was done mostly because there was just too much vegetation. I probably could have removed twice what I did and the garden would still be maxed out.

The reflective covers work great to keep algae from growing on the Rockwool which is the reason for using them.

Thanks for dropping in.

Peace.

thanks cannatari, I learn something everytime I read a thread of yours, thanks for posting and sharing your knowledge.
cheers,
rabbit

High C, have to agree with BH, on always learning something from the thread...

You every try topping right before bloom? I find some of my hz hybrids love it...

One,

CM

4 Weeks Flowering

Hiya, fellas. Thanks for dropping in and for the warm compliments. It pleases me to know that my contributions are helpful.;)

On to Mango Haze.

For the sake of timing the holidays and being the last day of week 4, I decided to replace the resi.

attachment.php

Within a few days of the new CalMag supplement, I noticed that the new growth had a nice shiny texture to the leaves. Also, the pH remained stable for the first time through week 4 so it looks like I solved the problem of pH crashes in mid flowering.

The PPM's went up some so I dropped the strength down a little. 1100 PPM is probably as hot as I would ever take this pheno.

The plants are starting to get that weird plastic/ glue smell. It's kinda nauseating but it will sweeten up at the end.

Peace.

Attachments

• mhb2day78.jpg
    mhb2day78.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 318
Hiya, GM.

Thank you for the kind words, man.

So, all I did was remove all of the growth from the lower half of the plants, not strip my fan leaves as in defoliation (without the quotation marks).:p

It definitely needed to be done because the canopy is so thick that allot of that vegetation would have died anyhow. It was a lack of anticipation that these plants would take off like they did is why I had to do it. This is actually the first time I've ever had to do it.

It's still pitch black under the canopy. I can barely read my meters under there. I like the way it all worked out though. I can tend to the underside of the canopy and access the hydro without disturbing the buds. It's like a SCROG without the screen.:rolleyes:

Peace.

Great lookin grow canna
You mentioned your cal mag supplement gave your plants the shinies
I recently started supplementing my soil with dolomite and epsom salts and it seems to have ironed out ph fluctuations and has had a positive effect on their vigour. it seems there are many cal/mag hogs out there in many different varieties of cannabis
Do you think this observation would help in identifying unknown strains?

Hiya, 247.

I always enjoy hearing about things people have done that have had a positive effect on their plants. Thanks for sharing.

My formula has always been real stable and this is particular plant is a first for requiring a CalMag supplement. I don't think you could go so far as to identify a variety by it's requirements but you could distinguish parental influence between sister plants by their feeding habits. It will be interesting to see if this ones sister feeds the same or not.

@GM1,

Nice looking girls you got there. I am hardly a pruning expert but if you want my 2 cents please tell me what your working with and what your goal is.

Peace.

Hiya, GM1

Well, growing with CFL's can only maintain about 4 inches of canopy thickness so there is no need to grow them very tall unless you use side-lighting. Training those plants horizontally with a screen would be a good move. That will give you the most flowering tops and broaden your canopy.

Peace.

If you don't have any experience with those plants under HPS it's probably best to leave 'em be for the most part to let them show you what they're all about.

Peace.

Mango Haze F2's

So here are the 3 Potzilla seeds I've got going:

attachment.php

Here is the suspected Potzilla pheno with her mother (14 week pheno):

attachment.php

They smell identical to each other in veg.

The other 2 phenos have fatty indica leaves and have nearly the same smell as their mother but not quite as strong:

attachment.php

I decided to add them to the next round of flowering which will commence in 2 weeks. Should be a good show as it will be a side-by-side of them next to their mother.

Peace.

Attachments

• PIC_0299.JPG
    PIC_0299.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 4,501
  • PIC_0301.JPG
    PIC_0301.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 240
  • PIC_0294.JPG
    PIC_0294.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 239
Week 7 Update

I harvested my apical dominants today.

attachment.php

They've been on plain water for the past 3 weeks and smell like cucumber and incense.

Peace.

Attachments

• apicalharvest1.jpg
    apicalharvest1.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 4,439
Good work C on the apical harvesting... and 3 week flushing. Those buds are going to smoke amazing...

If I didnt know you were the guy that grew Potzillia, I would think hey this guy has a nice little grow going on... post apical colas being chopped :D

Please keep us all updated on how long and what the yields are like with the bottom portion of your crop. Looks like you could even do another chop and then reveg if you wanted too. Nice to see so many option for a grower even in a "small space".

Big up yourself!!!

CM

Good work C on the apical harvesting... and 3 week flushing. Those buds are going to smoke amazing...

If I didnt know you were the guy that grew Potzillia, I would think hey this guy has a nice little grow going on... post apical colas being chopped :D

Please keep us all updated on how long and what the yields are like with the bottom portion of your crop. Looks like you could even do another chop and then reveg if you wanted too. Nice to see so many option for a grower even in a "small space".

Big up yourself!!!

CM

Hiya, Chana.

You know, I've never weighed out before but I think I'm getting close enough to the GPW mark that I need to start benchmarking my results. I will definitely update with that info when it comes.

I think that's about 4oz that I just chopped and there is fo sho twice that to come. But, if that 4oz is actually 5oz then I'll be 1oz shy of a lb when it's all said and done so I'm getting pretty close I think.

Remember that my cab is only 6 square feet so If I get close to the GPW mark, I will have probably already exceeded the GPF mark.

BTW, I'm not any kind of flushing maniac.:p This pheno will not uptake nutrients after day 30 is why I've been flushing so long. So far there is not a single indication of deficiency. This has caused me to speculate that all of the nutrients that she requires for reproductive processes (budding) is stored in the fan leaves. I'm figuring that she will keep budding until the fan leaves have nothing left to give. The flip side to this idea is that I may be able to initiate ripening through defoliation which I will try on my next round.

Relating to that, I'm hoping that defoliation will cause my 14 week pheno to reverse. Something interesting that happened at the Mango Lights grow when we tried to perpetually harvest her is that the plant eventually turned dark purple, almost black, it lost most of it's leaves and the last few nugs that we got off her had started to herm.

Now I've done some pretty harsh things to this plant and it has never hermed on me. Everything has it's limits I suppose. Putting all the dots together, all of this could hold some valuable insight as to how and why plants do this. Nearly all disease/illness originates with a nutrient deficiency so I would suspect that is probably the most likely cause for triggering a plants self-preservation mechanism. It makes sense that plants would evolve to have the least amount of dependence on it's environment to perform reproductive processes. The seeds are fed mother's milk through their infancy. Makes total sense.

Peace.

Thought I'd share a pic of how clean this herb burns as you can see from the nice white ashes.

attachment.php

It's too early to describe the flavor but the mango qualities are really coming out in this run.

Peace.

Attachments

• PIC_0346.JPG
    PIC_0346.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 4,464
Thought I'd share a pic of how clean this herb burns as you can see from the nice white ashes.

attachment.php

It's too early to describe the flavor but the mango qualities are really coming out in this run.

Peace.

Hi Canna
I hope she smokes as good as she looks
Cheers KL

Last edited:
Canna, those buds are much leafier than any of my Mango Haze, and I had ten different ladies. They were the easiest buds I have ever trimmed in my life. Some nugs were simply 3-5 snips and I was done trimming it. A welcomed reprieve after enduring Sam's Haze/Skunk, which is the leafiest strain Ive yet to grow. Were most of your ladies that leafy?

Back