Mango Haze: Selection In Small Spaces

cannatari

Greetings,

This will be my first MNS grow as well as my first time "selecting".

My veg area is 4'x2' under a 4', 6 bulb T5 with a 20" height restriction.

My flowering area is a 3'x2' enclosure w/600 watt HPS, 5' height restriction.

I grow DWC but I'll have to use Rockwool cubes through this process to accommodate the initial 18 required sites. Once the final selections have been made I'll go back to DWC. I don't have any experience with RW outside of cloning so any advice is appreciated.

I started soaking the seeds this morning and I will plant the sprouts directly into large RW cubes. They will veg out until I can take, depending on my germination success, 4-6 clones from each plant. Once those root, the best clone of each plant will be transplanted into large RW cubes and go into the flowering area. Hopefully I can identify and cull males before I have overgrowth issues. Not until I have cured samples from all of the females will I be able to compare and finalize my selections and cull the lesser significant pheno's. My final selection(s) will then have to be cloned to provide mother plants for the switch back to DWC. Not until those clones are well established will I cull the original seedlings. That's the plan anyways, fingers X'ed.

In the pics, the different pheno's I can expect seems to be prevalent in the dissimilarity/individuality of the seeds. I'll be looking for the recommended unripened mango smelling sativa pheno. The pics make the seeds look kinda gray, they actually have more of a dried grass color to them. The 3rd pic is a comparison of one of the smaller MH seeds to an 'average' sized seed out of my collection:

Attachments

• PIC_0002.JPG
    PIC_0002.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 80
  • PIC_0013.JPG
    PIC_0013.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 66
  • PIC_0028.JPG
    PIC_0028.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 41
I would take clones of everything, and run it more than once. That's what Shanti recommends for SSH and MH. Clone plants can finish faster and be somewhat different than the seed plants. He recommends that you run each clone twice.

I would take clones of everything, and run it more than once. That's what Shanti recommends for SSH and MH. Clone plants can finish faster and be somewhat different than the seed plants. He recommends that you run each clone twice.

Hmn, I've got the room to do that so I will. Thanks for the heads-up, Ouchie.

I hope you find your pheno :)
I find Sativa or sativa dom seeds to be smaller than Indica or Indica dom seeds. Just been my experience.
Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

It will also give you time to "dial in" what each girl wants, some of them might not show their true colors the first run. I hear Sativa dominant MH plants don't like to be fed very much at all :) Good luck, I'd love to see some pictures along the way. I'll be popping some Mango Haze x Black Widow here in about 10-12 days (whenever they arrive)

I hope you find your pheno :)
I find Sativa or sativa dom seeds to be smaller than Indica or Indica dom seeds. Just been my experience.
Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

My experience is that the sativa seeds are generally smaller as well. I think that it's very likely that the smaller seeds are the sativa pheno's in this case.

I hope I find my lady too, I've cracked lots of beans and still not found 'her'.

It will also give you time to "dial in" what each girl wants, some of them might not show their true colors the first run. I hear Sativa dominant MH plants don't like to be fed very much at all :) Good luck, I'd love to see some pictures along the way. I'll be popping some Mango Haze x Black Widow here in about 10-12 days (whenever they arrive)

Yeah, I agree that you don't have a complete idea of an individual plant until you clone it a few times, as if there is an overall maturity factor involved. I never thought to apply that concept to my selection process. I like that detail, thanks for mentioning it.

I'll keep an eye out for your MW grow and I hope the postman is good to you. I'd like to work with MW along side both BW and MH. I think it would be a good learning experience in trait inheritance.

seed

You can't always tell by looking at the seed. The Nev's Haze seeds I got were just as big as my fattest indica seeds. I have had much smaller seeds with other haze hybrids like OHxSk, THxSk and OTH.

You can't always tell by looking at the seed. The Nev's Haze seeds I got were just as big as my fattest indica seeds. I have had much smaller seeds with other haze hybrids like OHxSk, THxSk and OTH.

Indeed, but since I'm comparing the MH seeds amongst each other doesn't it seem likely that the different sized seeds represent different phenotypes?

I'll have to keep track of what becomes of them to learn more on this subject.

Cool.

Indeed, but since I'm comparing the MH seeds amongst each other doesn't it seem likely that the different sized seeds represent different phenotypes?

Cool.
high cannatari,
That could be a part of seed size,also the size of the seed mom's calyxes and the total amount off seeded calyxes would play a part in seed size.
Also,did the plant get pollinated early on or late?
I think this too may play a role in seed size.
So it would be safe to speculate that there are several factors working here.
Pheno typical expression is subject to environmental factors.
plant the smallest darkest brown ones you have...just my opinion :)

keep it green
scorpion

Last edited:

Cool.

I doubt it would tell you different phenos

48 Hours

Starting to see some action and and an unidentified...looks like...IDK. Trippy. They have been germinating through a full moon for added mystique.:)

Attachments

• PIC_0036.JPG
    PIC_0036.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PIC_0037.JPG
    PIC_0037.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PIC_0041.JPG
    PIC_0041.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PIC_0050.JPG
    PIC_0050.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well, 16 out of 18 beans have begun to sprout. The 2 smallest seeds are the ones falling behind though I believe that they'll still pop. I'm very happy with 16 if not.:)

Attachments

• PIC_0097.JPG
    PIC_0097.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PIC_0102.JPG
    PIC_0102.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PIC_0106.JPG
    PIC_0106.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 11
I had to use a tweezer and scalpel to remove the seed casings yesterday and today I had to remove a "skin" that was keeping the first leaves from opening. I misted first to soften everything.

I'm thinking that it might have actually been easier to remove the embryo from the shell casings right after the seeds were done soaking, Hempy style. I was scared to try but I learned how difficult it is to work with the fragile sprouts. Less can go wrong if you get it done before the casing has a fragile root or leaf attached to it. Thanks Hempy.

I had to use a tweezer and scalpel to remove the seed casings yesterday and today I had to remove a "skin" that was keeping the first leaves from opening. I misted first to soften everything.

I'm thinking that it might have actually been easier to remove the embryo from the shell casings right after the seeds were done soaking, Hempy style. I was scared to try but I learned how difficult it is to work with the fragile sprouts. Less can go wrong if you get it done before the casing has a fragile root or leaf attached to it. Thanks Hempy.

cannatari a small pin pushed between the seed leafs as close to the tips is usually more than enough help for a seedling to rip its self free from a dry embryo "skin". if you scared to poke pins in just chop the very tip of the skin and seed leaf's they will still grow fine and the seed will rip the skin easily after that.;)

G`day Cannatari
Wishing you well with this op bro ,considering some MHz for my garden at the mo .
That info from Hempy bout the embryos is "gold" I have lost a few seedlings over the years to tough embryos ,I used this tech a cpl of days ago on some Big Bud seeds that were much larger than normal and the embryo looked like a second seed shell within the seed itself .The first 4 I tried to germ failed as it seemed they could not burst the embyro, and strectched extremely from lack of light on the cotelydons ,eventually falling over and dying . Since reading Hempy`s info I have had had much better results ,and as people keep telling us " they are tuff little buggers !
I will be keeping an eye on progress with your MHz ,see you soon .
Thanks for sharin .
Elmer Bud .

high canna,
they must be up by now, little things full of potential.
how did u go on the last 2 beans?

The last 2 beans never cracked and the 16 remaining are about 3 inches tall now. They had their first feeding yesterday with 300ppm of ferts. I've had to mist them a few times and caused a few of them to fall over which I addressed today with some Rockwool collars. All of them are growing pretty evenly, 1 is a little ahead, 1 is a little behind, all in all I'm very pleased with the performance of these beans.

Thanks for checking in, fellas.

Attachments

• PIC_0117.JPG
    PIC_0117.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PIC_0118.JPG
    PIC_0118.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PIC_0119.JPG
    PIC_0119.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
Day 14

The seedlings were planted into 4 inch rockwool cubes today and fed 400 ppm of ferts. Man they're growing fast!

I was able to remove one of the embryos from one of the seeds that didn't crack and it's starting to grow!

Attachments

• PIC_0137.JPG
    PIC_0137.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PIC_0149.JPG
    PIC_0149.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 27
Woah! Ive gotta admit I wasnt paying too much attention to hempys and others theorys & practices regarding cracking stubborn beans, showed me! Im an advocate for keeping an open mind, sometimes I forget myself!
Looking great guns canna!

24 Days From Soaking

10 days since my last update. I'm very happy with the vigor of these plants!I'm noticing about 25% of the plants are pure green while the rest have different levels of red/purple leaf stems and branches. Very many unique individuals.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 47
Back