Mango Haze and Mango Haze IBL, in search of a keeper

Swifty

2023 Circle of Excellence
Hello,

This season I'm going to search for a new keeper in Mango Haze IBL.
I hope to find a special taste/scent with a nice euphoric high.

The selection will start by flowering small mother plants, the best of these will be flowered indoors later on.

I bought these seeds in 2011 and have been kept in the fridge in air tight container with dessicants.
These are at least 12 years old by know, If germination rates are low I will try to germinate Mango Haze seeds (also from 2011).

I just pulled them out of the fridge and will let them acclimate for a couple of days at room temperature.
All seeds are going in water, interesting males are going to be kept for pollen and are candidates to make seeds with my SSH keeper.

Stay tuned for updates.

Greetings!MHIBL1Nice.JPGMHIBL2Nice.JPG

Hello,

Small update:

The seeds are one week in soil, past friday evening I saw the first signs of life (I suspected that these seeds, given their age, would sprout slower).
There are 5 seedlings now (one had his root up, had to replant it this morning but is seems that it is still growing).
I hope that next week brings a lot more seedlings!🤞
If not I will trow a pack of Mango Haze in the water next weekend.

MHIBL6Nice.jpg

I had two seeds that came up with their seed case stuck.
Here is how I free them:
Sprinkle the head with water and make sure that their head is covered with a droplet of water and let it hydrate for half an hour.

MHIBL7Nice.jpg

The shell of the seed should be softer by now and you can try to make it come off very gently with a tooth pick. Gently is key here, a steady hand also.😄

MHIBL8Nice.jpg

Now comes the real tricky part, the leftovers from the embryo are more stuck to head. Once you see that the leaves are doing effort to part ways you can start to try to make it come off. If its wet it should come of. If it seems fairly stuck I suggest that you wait for half a day to try it again (make sure to hydrate the leftovers wel).
This is even more tricky than the first step but practise makes perfect!

MHIBL9Nice.jpg

I hope that the next update is going to have a lot of seedlings!

Greetings.

Hello,

Small update:

The seeds are one week in soil, past friday evening I saw the first signs of life (I suspected that these seeds, given their age, would sprout slower).
There are 5 seedlings now (one had his root up, had to replant it this morning but is seems that it is still growing).
I hope that next week brings a lot more seedlings!🤞
If not I will trow a pack of Mango Haze in the water next weekend.

View attachment 71834

I had two seeds that came up with their seed case stuck.
Here is how I free them:
Sprinkle the head with water and make sure that their head is covered with a droplet of water and let it hydrate for half an hour.

View attachment 71835

The shell of the seed should be softer by now and you can try to make it come off very gently with a tooth pick. Gently is key here, a steady hand also.😄

View attachment 71836

Now comes the real tricky part, the leftovers from the embryo are more stuck to head. Once you see that the leaves are doing effort to part ways you can start to try to make it come off. If its wet it should come of. If it seems fairly stuck I suggest that you wait for half a day to try it again (make sure to hydrate the leftovers wel).
This is even more tricky than the first step but practise makes perfect!

View attachment 71837

I hope that the next update is going to have a lot of seedlings!

Greetings.
I hope more germinate for you . If the seed shell comes off and the remnant is still stuck to the leaf I moisten my fingertips with a little saliva and pinch it off the tip of the cotelydons.

So far only 7 MH IBL seeds sprouted, to little to explore the Mango, so I just pulled a straw of Mango haze out of the fridge and placed them in water.
Shanti was even more generous with 22 seeds.
They are the same age as the IBL so I hope to end with 20-30 seedlings from these 2 lines.🤞

They will get the same treatment as the other seeds except that I havn't let these acclimatise and are directly placed in water.

Proof of the deed :D:

MHNice1.JPGMHNice2.jpgMHNice3.jpg

Greetings.

why not start it in a paper towel ?
i never start seed directly on dirt

put the seed in the freezer a week before help also to increase the germination
Thanks @quinxstar,

I try to keep it as simple as possible, did the paper towel method a lot when I was younger but I found it a little bit easier to just pre-soak the seeds and then straigt into sterilised loose soil.
Never had problems with this method, I have the seeds for around 12 years stored in the fridge and I don't know when Shanti made them.
They could very well be 15 years old by now.

I saw that number 8 is starting to break the surface today!

Do you think that is is safe to freeze seeds that had been stored in the fridge or do you mean to freeze them as soon as I recieved them?

Greetings.

Thanks @quinxstar,

I try to keep it as simple as possible, did the paper towel method a lot when I was younger but I found it a little bit easier to just pre-soak the seeds and then straigt into sterilised loose soil.
Never had problems with this method, I have the seeds for around 12 years stored in the fridge and I don't know when Shanti made them.
They could very well be 15 years old by now.

I saw that number 8 is starting to break the surface today!

Do you think that is is safe to freeze seeds that had been stored in the fridge or do you mean to freeze them as soon as I recieved them?

Greetings.
i like to put my seeds some days in the freezzer before i start the germination specialy when the seeds are old that wake up the dormance

i stock all my seeds in the fridge

haha I remember that!

Hey, Swifty? Has anyone ever told you that you have very delicate looking hands?
Longball
"Longball....he's a trouble maker" - musashi
---
Hello longball,

No, you are the first to tell me that 😂.

I did hear from my girlfriends that I have a gentle touch though😉.

Greetings!
---
Sorry, Swifty! :)

MSB-Preferred-Germination-Study_1607629887.jpg

I do what Swifty does. I see his plants. :love:

Longball

I germ them between toiletpaper until they are out of the seedpod. This long germ gives the ability to place them in richer soil without burning them.

Looking forward what your delicate hands will master this time Swifty. 🤭
haha I remember that!

Hey, Swifty? Has anyone ever told you that you have very delicate looking hands?
Longball
"Longball....he's a trouble maker" - musashi
---
Hello longball,

No, you are the first to tell me that 😂.

I did hear from my girlfriends that I have a gentle touch though😉.

Greetings!
---
Sorry, Swifty! :)

View attachment 71911

I do what Swifty does. I see his plants. :love:

Longball
Had a good laugh!😂

Two more joined today, counter is at 10 Mango Haze IBL atm.
Perhaps I was a little bit hasty with sowing new seeds.😅

Hello,

Small update:

-Mango Haze IBL, 10 seeds breached surface and it seems that 9 will grow. I carefully dug one seed up yesterday and it had a nice small white tail. I'm sure that more will sprout next week. Wheater is going to be good and temps also. I'm guessing that they also prefer warmer temps to sprout.

-Mango Haze, I put al the seeds in dirt 2 days ago. I saw a lot of white tails after soaking. Got better hopes for higher germination with these.

🤞🤞🤞

Mango Haze IBL

MHIBL10Nice.jpg

Mango Haze
MHNice4.jpg

Every pot has a label on it, no mistakes here!
These plants are sitting by the window, no artificial light for now.

See you around for the next update.

Greetings.

Back