Homework for the Homeboys

Usually what we perceive as 'white' LED is leaning towards the blue spectrum.
Last time that i checked the blue white Diodes have been the most effective when it comes to electrical current translating into photone production so it makes for a good performance on paper but what we all look for is actual bud development, so this is to consider as one of the usual designs to make a fixture appear better that in may be. I am not the one to say it is not, impossible to compare everything at one point we have to choose.

Here is a comparison for a typical and proven 'fullspec' LED that is 5+yrs old, im sure we can find many others with slightly different specs that are not too far away.
With this spectrum (400-730nm) with peaks at 600+ the light will appear like in the evening in fall, with an orange edge to it.

s4w_datenblatt_12209.jpg
True forgot that. Good knowledge 👌

Thanks for the info @Proud Kraut.
Plasma does seem to give the most complete spectrum of all lighting types available.
How were the results of these 2 grows?

LED's still are most efficient and have come a long way in 5 years (look at the LM301H evo chips). In times of high energy prices also important imo.
What I like is that you can make combinations with different chips to create the spectrum as you desire.
I feel that this will be the pad to follow in the next decade.
More and more knowlegde is being gathered on this and some manufacturers even let you compile your own boards now.

What I like is that you can make combinations with different chips to create the spectrum as you desire.
I feel that this will be the pad to follow in the next decade.
More and more knowlegde is being gathered on this and some manufacturers even let you compile your own boards now.

Exactly what i think made LED succeed and some go to the trash (because if poor engineered specs). I got two different brands, both claim fullspec, both visible differences, both deliver.

The complete sprectrum and i have to be honest, the name Plasma alone, raised my interest. Not sure if i saw a specsheet before but honestly way back i really was just learning about the quality of light and all those details thrwon at you when you start researching.
I only saw pictures of the estimated plasma grown plants and they looked mighty fine to me.
Just to stirr the topic a little more both where Haze varieties so it seems plasma lighting would be 'Mr.Nice compliant' ;)

Some years ago when i was super stuck on specs and grow reviews when researching for the jump to a more effective lighting system, especially LED, which i ended choosing, there also was another interesting competitor...the Plasma light. Almost mythical at that time, it could've been the best or worst choice ever. No info found besides some buying offers from no name manufacturers.
Now i actually found two different growers estimatedly using plasmas with good success, one mentioned the brand he uses, so i thought i'd share it real quick. The first time i hear about biomimicry in the cannabis context but exactly where the road is heading for me...

Any of you guys have some experience with Plasma lights in general? Im curious what we will hear from them in the future...

spectrum-graphic-202207-768x451.jpg
I remember a couple being marketed years ago, tiny little bulb with sulfur or something long those lines that was bombarded with microwaves. I remember seeing them with a clear plastic "light pipe" with a lamp at one end.

So heres one from the FSOTD family were talking about Greasi Tech a man who dropped some knowledge on his EP. He was also the Dude i quoted on flushing the other day (black ash vs white ash) and as i am very intow tweaking my organic grows i proudly present you this short snip of the whole EP, would sign with my name under this statement. He puts it into an easy to digest formula why organic (doesnt exclude naturally occuring minerals like Ca2So4) will eventually outperform every single salt grow out there in overall quality.

@Cloffy wow. 1993ish...exactly 30 years ago. We had to go thru all those crispy fried HPS harvests just to realize three decades later that true full spectrum existed in an environmentally friendly setup for a long time. No mercury is a big argument. It seems its a thick glassbulb with pure sulfur coating inside that gets stimulated by RF / inductional current (Tesla tech - the real Nikola Tesla)
This is genious if you think about in. LED need a wholr lotta work frok the semiconductor industry, optics, etc. Looks like a true plasma light need way less ressources for a better spectrum. Im stoked about it and wonder why it has not been aknowledged more. Maybe the price tag? Not sure how expensive this actually is in production...

So i just got some info on the Sun on demand fixtures yesterday by Dave Pope @AKbeanbrains- the 1100w fixture he runs goes for 6000$ - Thas IS pretty expensive and is not yet ready for the usage in a homegrower environment as the lifespan is estimated 30k hours vs 50k hours on my LED.
Im willing to spend 1-2 buck per watt on my fixture in this case 1100-2200$. I even would go LEP if the lifespan is still 20k less (huge difference) just to see how it works for me but 6k is just beyond the horizon. Talking about the sun...
That pricetag will come down eventually until then it probably remains a ghost haunting the industry...

But maybe there mire affordable systems out there already?
Do you know what the fusion lighting version went for back in the 90s?

Yo the check out this FSOTD EP with Kyle Kushman that just dropped the other day...fire...not only a great Cannabis enthusiast but also a charismatic character with soul. Really appreciate the insights. Theres some Super Silver Haze @minute 56:00+

Kushman Chiropractics

@Proud Kraut said: "...i dont know how to embed the media from my album, you may check my media to view now-..."

@Diesel840 did something like this: " I simply loaded them into my album on Mr Nice. The I copied the BB code (the middle option) then pasted it onto my message after clickimg the show bb code option. The show BB code/text looks like [ ] Hope that helps."

By doing this he was able to get around the 1MB 'attach files' rule and post HQ 7MB pics. ;)

Longball

What I find hilarious that it is a German book which credits a brochure in English while I haven't heard the term mound cultivation before. Only heard of hügelkultur prior. Haha

Not a credit, they just made a version in english also and advertise it (maybe someone who is interested is abled to find this english version for his own collection):

'If you have gardening friends or relatives across the pond, chances are you would make them happy sending them one of these.' (Price is also DM 6,-)

Is kinda what the lower section says.

I found this years ago in a shop along the road selling all kinds of old stuff and books...they printed 60.000 of these at the time this version was made.
Havent seen many Hügelbeete (Moundbeds) in real life yet. Think its something every gardener should consider if he has some turf to actually grow on it will increase the production and makes working easier. After a few years growing on it it becomes flat again and you have a flat area with the greatest humus possible. Combined with Terra Preta principles is my dream setup...

You live on an Island, i think it would be interesting to see some Island grown Mr.Nice Hz on a Hügelbeet...it should be directed N-S lengthwise.
If you want to try i will help with every question, you would probably be the very first guy in your part of the world...;)

I dont know old Hügelkultur really is but it in the foreword the original Author he stated that after trying several times on its own, in different areas of Germany and also 4+ yrs in Brasil he published his method in 1962 to some testers and all had great success.

This method does not also create great Humus, it also allows to plant earlier and increases surface area to plant on - because naturally a hill has more surface area on the same footprint vs a flat area.

Last edited:
Not a credit, they just made a version in english also and advertise it (maybe someone who is interested is abled to find this english version for his own collection):

'If you have gardening friends or relatives across the pond, chances are you would make them happy sending them one of these.' (Price is also DM 6,-)

Is kinda what the lower section says.

I found this years ago in a shop along the road selling all kinds of old stuff and books...they printed 60.000 of these at the time this version was made.
Havent seen many Hügelbeete (Moundbeds) in real life yet. Think its something every gardener should consider if he has some turf to actually grow on it will increase the production and makes working easier. After a few years growing on it it becomes flat again and you have a flat area with the greatest humus possible. Combined with Terra Preta principles is my dream setup...

You live on an Island, i think it would be interesting to see some Island grown Mr.Nice Hz on a Hügelbeet...it should be directed N-S lengthwise.
If you want to try i will help with every question, you would probably be the very first guy in your part of the world...;)

I dont know old Hügelkultur really is but it in the foreword the original Author he stated that after trying several times on its own, in different areas of Germany and also 4+ yrs in Brasil he published his method in 1962 to some testers and all had great success.

This method does not also create great Humus, it also allows to plant earlier and increases surface area to plant on - because naturally a hill has more surface area on the same footprint vs a flat area.
I understand and I will look into setting up one in my backyard. Maybe not a huge one . I understand the method and I can only see benefits as it will also reduce watering needs due to the material buried under it .

Back