Butta Radio

In the '60's, I remember my dad listening to Cal Tjader and Wes Montgomery and me thinking, "he could be listening to the Doors or Jimi Hendrix." Now I'm the fuddy duddy sharing some of my favs lol. But I remember that feeling of freedom and invincibility back then.

Whatever Happened To P.J. Proby?

In 1962 Proby began writing songs and recording demos for artists such as Elvis Presley, Bobby Vee, and Johnny Burnette, who had his final UK chart success with the song "Clown Shoes", credited to Proby's real name (James Smith). Proby had UK top 10 hits in 1964 and 1965 including "Hold Me" (UK Number 3), "Together" (UK Number 8), "Somewhere" (UK Number 6), and "Maria" (UK Number 8). Proby is remembered for an incident in January 1965, when his trousers split across the knees during a show in Croydon, London. As a result, Proby was banned in every major theatre in Britain, plus appearing on the BBC and ITV television channels. One thing 'no one' knew, P.J. Proby had a 'monkey on his back'.

In September 1968 he went into the studio to record the album 'Three Week Hero'. His backing band was called the New Yardbirds. The lineup was:
P.J. Proby - vocals
Jimmy Page - guitar
John Bonham - drums
John Paul Jones - bass, keyboards
Robert Plant - harmonica
This was the first time these four musicians recorded together in the studio. A short while later they were sued for copyright infringement over the name the New Yardbirds. They then changed their name to Led Zeppelin.

Van Morrison & P.J. Proby - "Whatever Happened To PJ Proby"

Back