Z8 x Afghan Haze

Hey there Tapioca,

I was pretty amazed at the viability of these sprouts, they kind of caught me by surprise. The seeds cracked in hours and were all above soil in I think 2 or 3 days from the first touch of water.

I’m not using lighting so my grow is a little slower and I’m finding they may be a little more temperamental then some of the other MNS strains I’ve grown but that’s just an early observation and I did have the mite issue. You’re right, those little buggers are a pain and they can really cause growth problems with young plants. I was gifted a gardenia cut from a friend and I wasn’t as careful as I should have been, I think that’s where those little suckers came from. Now I’m going to have to do a thorough cleaning although this time of year I’m coming and going so much I’ll just try and stay ahead of them until I do.

As far as hot, we went from below freezing to almost 90* in days (probably heading your way), supposed to settle back to norms over the weekend. Good luck, and keep posting your progress as well.

The Z8’s are coming along fine, I think I’ve got the mites taken care of and am getting a handle on their feed requirements. They’re kind of on the slow train right now, the weather has been bad and they haven’t sexed yet.

I’m thinking about topping these so at least I can get a cut of each before I put them out. Not the way I prefer to do it but since these are supposed enriched plants I’d hate to put them out and then lose one without having it backed up…you never know, that may be the one that has the goods. I think with these the objective is to make selections with as many plants as possible.

good to hear you got them mites gone.They're such a bummer.

What's your impression on their feed needs?

Are they the kinda plants that want to be transplanted often?(i.e.,that hate pots altogether?)I've had some that were real troopers and wouldn't have any problem staying top heavy no matter how long they had been in their pot.Right now,I have another variety on the go that just doesn't look like they're digging the whole pot thing...they pout come suppertime.

Here's a pic of the z8xAfgHz seedlings.They're the best looking ,most viable sprouts of the bunch!The only problem I've had is I had to get them away from one of the vents in the hothouse,,,,I assume it was a cold draft that had made their little leaflets sulk.

Oh well,I'm excited for what's in store for them!Come about two/three more weeks(depending on the weather),,,the moon will swell and they'll begin their journey towards fruition!!!

Good to hear you'll be taking cuttings.It's always nice to have some backup and to be able to bring memories back to life!

take care Betterhaff (and all too!)

Attachments

• PICT4417.JPG
    PICT4417.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 25
Well...

These plants have been thru some trauma in the early stages. I didn’t see the mites until I transplanted and they obviously were on the plants at an early age. So, with the mite infestation, mite treatment, transplanting, etc, etc. it’s really hard to give any guidance with what they need food wise…unless yours are going thru the same as above. I gave them a light feed when I transplanted (½ strength) and that was it for a while since I thought being in new soil would help sort things out. I don’t like to go crazy with food until the plants tell me they need it. That didn’t take long so I’ve been giving them light feedings, again ½ strength, every 2 or 3 waterings.

They have really bounced back, 1 is kind of a runt, but they seem to be on track. As soon as I am able to get some other plants transplanted out to their plots these are going to take their place in the hardening off zone outside.

I have 3 that I germed outdoors in a seed tray that need to be transplanted and I’ve been feeding them more and more the older they get, probably because they are due to be up potted. These 3 are much bushier with shorter internode spacing (growing in a more natural setting).

Your seedlings look just like mine did Tapioca, gotta love those long first set of leaves.

yaya!I like the dainty-longish blades types!

I like to play it cool too when it comes to nutes

'til next time amigo

One last picture show before these go on to better pastures...

They're very impressive! The way they all grow alike and look alike and such...I really think these are a treat!

I was glad to have put these in.I wasn't sure if I shoulda at the time or not...but these blow all others I have planted in terms of vigor.In my opinion,they're bigger and meaner than their week older couterpart.These are the third succession planted.They were later mulched and fed.(after taking pictures.)

An excellent crop specimen!!!

Will keep posting as summer progresses.
:)

Attachments

• PICT4480.JPG
    PICT4480.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT4481.JPG
    PICT4481.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 28
Nice

Lookin’ good tapioca, I’m also impressed by the vigor these plants have. I’m going to top mine so I can get a cut before I put them in the wild, just waiting for them to grow another node to get suitable ones. They’ve been slow at putting out lateral branching but that’s not unusual for growing in a window. I potted up the 3 I have growing outdoors a couple of days ago. Couple of pics, gives a look at the leaf structure.

Attachments

• Z8  6.3.13.jpg
    Z8 6.3.13.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 18
  • Z8  6.8.13.jpg
    Z8 6.8.13.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 18
both z8/afgH's are looking good. i have my chair pulled up and have the popcorn in the microwave.

Last edited:
3 of the 5 indoor starts have declared female and I have them outside hardening off. It’s funny, the 3 biggest plants are female. The outdoor starts are settling in to their new pots, their growth seems to have slowed up a bit, I moved them to be able to get a little more shade on the pots, they may have been getting too warm. I might just put them in the ground and deal with the males once they sex there.

I think one of my outdoor sites might have been compromised, when I was out there the other night something just didn’t seem right. There’s nothing growing there at the moment but I was planning on putting a couple of these out there plus a few others. I didn’t want to have to dig more holes but may, rather be safe than sorry.

Here are couple of shots of 2 of the females, the 2 bigger ones. The structure is very uniform, some very sound breeding here. If it’s any indication of what may be in store with these I’ll be a happy camper. The last pic is a friend’s cereus, it’s amazing such an ungainly plant can have such a beautiful flower.

Attachments

• Z8.2  6.11.13.jpg
    Z8.2 6.11.13.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Z8.1  6.18.13.jpg
    Z8.1 6.18.13.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Cereus 5.13.jpg
    Cereus 5.13.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 12
so pretty!

LOUD THOUGH!!!!:D

hahaha...not everybody is fond of tropical specimens-
You either like'em or don't...I like it!That's a nice snap Better!Good stuff on your girlie count too:)
It would be neat to be able to identify cacti by genera...being a northerner;I've been wanting to have an experience with cacti alkaloids...oh well,...maybe in another life?

That's good that you trust your intuition...sucks to lose real estate though:(

See ya man...enjoying their progress too!:)

I took a picture of a z8xAfgHz a few days ago;
wish I had taken more...oh well.some other time.

Attachments

• PICT4540.JPG
    PICT4540.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 34
Hey tapioca,

She looks happy. Did you start those under lights? And are you going to grow them in pots or put em in the dirt? I was going to put me girls in last night but they’ve only been hardening for a short time and we’re supposed to get some scorching weather in the next couple of days. I’m kind of juggling, I dug some new holes, I put in some other stuff in last night and I still may put in one of these girls tonight…we’ll see how much the chance of rain for the next few days looks like.

On the cereus, yeah she’s a bright one. This girl has a greenhouse full of them, most tend to be on the calmer side…creamies and off-whites. I’ve got a few and when one goes into flower it is an event, they only do it so often and the blooms usually only last a day or 2. On alkaloids, try em if you can find them. Tough to grow (the good stuff). I do have a couple of San Pedro’s though.

hi Betterhaff
these plants did not have a day under any lamp!pure helios:)
I don' think I can afford to give them prime real estate "en terrum"...but later this summer I'll see what I can provide;,,;I was thinking about purchasing some of those big potato growing bags.They're a bit pricey though,so I'll wait until the plants begin to show sex and decide where to go from then on.They've just been potted in 3 1/4 (14L) pots last week,so they should be able to hold off getting hectic at the feet until at least the end of July.

I find cactophiles are some of the most patient gardeners in the world.Cacti are very mystical plants...they do require more care than most would believe!I have a cactus I bought for 2,99$ and I've always wondered if it's a San Pedro or not...I'll paste a pic,maybe you could help me out?:p

Good to hear you're playing it cool as far as transplanting your ganja.I botched my first cucumber succession of this year by being too horny to subject them to the elements...I find the best way to expose them is during muggy/warm rainy days!They don't risk windburn that way.

You're braver than I am to go dig this time of year:rolleyes:!!I hope you got some sandy loam to play with:)

did you get a chance to put out your banana tree yet?

have a good one!!!

I thought I had uploaded it...I don't know if it's the CPU or my mind playing tricks on me...Here's the cactus I was talking about(in it's younger days...)It had a botched graft...I remember it being wobbly and damp at the soilline for the first year

Attachments

• PICT3575.JPG
    PICT3575.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 7
Sometimes you do what you have to do, ha ha. That’s the one thing I’ve learned about growing outdoors…be flexible. Did some planting last night, good chance of rain.

I don’t think that’s a San Pedro, the spines look too big but I’m not an expert. 6 lobed columnar is the predominant habit on mine, short spine groups on the edge of the lobes. Sometimes it will shoot out 4 or 5 lobed stalks when propagated. It’s grown as a houseplant but usually gets some patio time. The banana’s still in.

You tempted me to give her a go to see if her papers are still good. I twisted a couple J’s of Angel Heart instead and watched the supermoon while listening to the Dark Side.

Another one of the indoor starts is female and the 5th looks to be too. This happened to me last year with Early Haze…looking to get a few females and they all were. Nice.

You tempted me to give her a go to see if her papers are still good.

What do you mean by "if her papers are still good"?:confused:

hooray on more females for you...it's hard to get more chicks to come to a party.

You'll never go to a gathering and hear someone say"we need more dudes up in here!":rolleyes:

Hope my girl-plant count is as good as yours.

What do you mean by "if her papers are still good"?:confused:

What I meant was to see if her pedigree is still what I remember it to be, I haven’t been down that road for a while.

Yeah it’s confirmed, all 5 of my indoor starts are female, 3 are in the ground, the other 2 are outside getting ready. I started 9 seeds, 8 came up and so far 5 girls with 3 more to show. Hope you get a good ratio too. From what I have seen from the results of some of other Z series grows and testing, not all will have significant quantities of CBD so the more females the better. I’m sure there will be nothing wrong with the phenos that are mostly THC but I wouldn’t mind having a couple of CBD cultivars in my collection.

Too funny, more “dudes”. I am kind of in that position with another project though. I got rid of a mother and I made a cross with her that may have some promise. Can’t make anymore of those seeds (didn’t make that many either) so I’m looking for a “dude” in the F1’s.

Have a good one.

Hi!

Yesterday night after work I went to water the z8xAfgHz pots.I just can't get over how much I love the smell on these things!
They're by far my favourite.I uploaded pics in my gallery.I wish I could figure out how to paste the big pictures to my post...:confused:.Dummy me:p

The male count was fairly high,but that's due to them being sown late spring/early summer.It's actually a good sign if you ask moi...I'll get to harvest these ;) (providing I GET to harvest these IYKWIM)

Out of twenty seedlings,11 were male and 9 were female.I discarded one female due to heavy slug damage (and I mean heavy,...,the leaves looked like doily work) and I discarded another female that was "stiff" at the hemp.All males were removed and destroyed.

The smell I get when I rub the stems is that of summer fields on a hot day when you drive by.(farm smells and all:rolleyes:)It almost smells like valerian fumes and other wildflowers...or a mix of lavender essence and tar.It's very summersweet...very very pungent! I can't wait to have a smoke at these.I don't want to wish summer away but...:p

I hate growing in the woods!Every time I get there,I'm happy for the first hour.Come the second hour the horseflies get to me.Come the third hour I keep saying "I hate this,I hate this,I hate this...:rolleyes:"

Oh well,I'll post again when I buy potato grow bags and transplant these( in a few weeks)

bye!

Back