Z8 x Afghan Haze

:D Great job on those Z8 Affy Haze Betterhaff. Flowers seem to be forming up very well and pretty fast from your post about a month ago... not too far to go now?

Best of luck for the remaining weeks

m

Thanks moschops. I cut a small side branch to bring in for a look. It was growing into the weeds so even though it’s early no great loss. It has a fuelly/ slightly skunky/ berry aroma. I quick dried one of the buds and tried a little for a taste and citrus came out.

I would say she has another couple (few) weeks to go and maybe then some…

Is anybody else growing these? More questions. I’m more or less treating these as any other bud. Are there any tips on what to do after harvest as far is curing is concerned? I believe the curing really has an effect on the terpines and flavinoids but what about CBD?

Attachments

• Z1 9.19.13.jpg
    Z1 9.19.13.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 42
I took a couple of branches of the 2 larger plants last night. Mostly all cloudy, I think they still need a little more time but we’re supposed to get some weather (lots of rain) and it may be a few days before I’m able to get out there again. At least this way I have something to play with and may give me an indicator as to ripeness and harvest times. Not seeing any mold and we’re supposed to have some warm weather after the rains.

I kind of have my eye on 3 plants so far, the 2 big ones and one that seems to be leaning more to the sativa side…or at least it stretched a lot more than the others. I’m basing this on plant habit, the real test will be in the finished product so will have to wait and see. The other 4 girls are on the small side but should give a decent yield to see what they have, just not sure exactly when to harvest them because they’ll probably be harvested complete. The one in the pot is behind all of them.

I’m having trouble getting a read on smells. The 2 I took samples of still have the solvent/berry smell although I noticed a sort of musky/ammonia smell coming from one of them. I’m curious to see what comes out with drying and some cure.

Just been letting them go with a stretch of nice weather. It looks like things could turn in a week or so. They are plumping up, trichs are cloudy…no amber on any of them. No mold either which is a good thing. I found some mold on a few other varieties and those have been chopped but trying to push these as long as I can. I have harvested a few branches.

Here are the three bigger plants, Z1, Z2, and Z6, pictures taken about a week ago. The first 2 are pretty uniform with similar smells and Z6 had more stretch and I can’t quite get a nose on her. I will give a detailed report after I harvest and get them drying and curing.

An observation. I have cuts of all of these just hanging under floros. I also have mites hanging with a couple of them. I’ve been battling those little buggers all season but they have been manageable, just a pain in the keister. Going to have to do a thorough clean after the harvest is done. 2 of the clones are mite magnets, they are all together but these 2 must taste real good. I’m going to hold on to all of them until I can do a smoke test on everything.

Attachments

• Z1 10.8.13.jpg
    Z1 10.8.13.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Z1 T 10.8.13.jpg
    Z1 T 10.8.13.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Z2 T 10.8.13.jpg
    Z2 T 10.8.13.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Z6 10.8.13.jpg
    Z6 10.8.13.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 24
Looking very nice, good to hear of their mould resistance. Eagerly anticipating your harvest and smoke notes... hope the weather holds ok for you

Real nice!
Mites suck. I agree pain in the rear. I have two packs of these. I really should start some.
They look and sound beautiful from your description.

Thx guys. I chopped the 7 outdoor Z8 x AH the past couple of nights, the weather is going to turn real quick. There were hints of amber on a couple of them and I would have liked to let a couple go a little while longer but decided not to take the chance, it looks like we’re going to get some hard freezes this week.

I’ll give some more details once these are further along with drying and curing, kind of overwhelmed with all the post harvest work (trimming).

Trying to figure out how to report on these. Most are dry enough to be jarred and some have been. I’ve tested a couple, one was a little heady the other not so much, both had a distinctive taste that I can’t put a handle on. These samples were from some branches that were taken early.

The plants ranged in size from about 3 to 6 feet. Nothing that was the fault of the plants, the variance was the result of transplant times, weather conditions, and having to dig some fresh holes. With the fresh holes, I was a little conservative on the organic additions fearing it could be too hot and may not have given them enough. Essentially the ones that were transplanted late went right into flower.

After they are all cured for a bit I’ll report on aromas and smoke. Not really sure what to expect here, smoke wise. I also would like to find some way to get these lab tested, or at least the ones that show promise. I’ve seen home testing kits being mentioned, ie. the “tlc” kit, as a way to “weed out” samples, anyone know of a reliable home test kit and source?

Here are a couple of pics of the top colas from 2 of the smaller plants, not much of a yield but plenty to play around with for smoke and tests.

Attachments

• Z5  10.23.13.jpg
    Z5 10.23.13.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Z7  10.23.13.jpg
    Z7 10.23.13.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 27
Thanks GreenSpirit. It’s always a good feeling when you harvest a crop, It’s even a better feeling when you get it trimmed, dried, and into jars. Almost there.

I’ve been sampling a bit of the Z8 harvest and after trying a few I think I may have to take a break for a few days and start with a clean head. I’ve been testing a lot of different things, new things from a fresh grow and I think to better see what I have with these a short sabbatical may be in order.

I did notice a different effect with one Z sample I tried, Z3. I usually smoke 1/3 to 1/2 a joint as a test regime and with this one after a few minutes I noticed a distinct brightness in the head and a tingling all over the body. It was like my head clicked into HD and from the neck down it was like a very subtle vibration or hum, like a very, very low vibration you would get from a message chair. If I got up and moved around the body effect was not as prevalent, but the head effect was still there. As soon as I sat back down, the body was more pronounced. It was very pleasurable. Not sure if this is the effect of CBD & THC but there is something in there going on. Will give a more detailed report after I play around with these a little more.

Here are a couple of pics of some of the samples that just went into jars, I forgot to take pictures of the complete plants but here are some of the tops. Z1, Z2, Z3.

Attachments

• Z1 10.27.13.jpg
    Z1 10.27.13.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Z1 T 10.27.13.jpg
    Z1 T 10.27.13.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Z2 10.27.13.jpg
    Z2 10.27.13.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Z3 10.27.13.jpg
    Z3 10.27.13.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 16
Congrats!!

Hey bh

Glad everything worked out to a successful harvest!

Even better that you found some interesting plants.

Hope you enjoy every last trichome! Hope all is well!!

Og

Congrats on a nice grow. I have these in reserve and am wondering how she helps with back pain.

Thanks Og and arpege. Hopefully there will be some interesting things here. I’m starting day 2 of a break. I may try to go to the weekend and then sample some of these. I had to sample the Z3 pheno again and got the same results. As far as pain issues I don’t think I used enough to determine if there are any benefits with these yet. I have a nagging back issue from an old athletic injury, it comes and goes so I should be able see if there are any benefits down the road. One thing I have found with my situation, when my back flares up, weed helps to dull it but is never really able to make it go away, it still persists or “is there” but is much more manageable.

*bump*

Hope those handsome looking buds are treating you right betterhaff! Cheers for documenting the Z8 x Af/Hz enigma :)

Thanks moschops. Cavedweller…if I could take a decent picture I would, lol, thanks. Sorry for not updating in a while. The buds are all curing in jars, I have kept everything separate and have done some initial smoke testing. Am also looking to get a home test kit, been doing a little research on those…anybody have any suggestions on a good direction to go as far as a source of a good one in the states?

I ran into a temporary roadblock recently, I may have to take a drug test so I’ve had to abstain from any use (bummer)…rather be safe than sorry. Will post some more results as soon as the issue passes.

I can post my initial findings on 2 of the plants I have analyzed. I had to do some traveling and it gave me a chance to take a break, then over a weekend I tried these 2, 1 each day and took some notes on effects. I really wanted to do a repeat to confirm my findings but then the testing issue came up.

I’ve kind of been a “kid in the candy store” since the harvest this year. A lot of new varieties came in and it’s hard not to partake in sampling. It also muddies the waters when trying to get a feel for what these Z8’s have to offer. I haven’t posted anything because I wanted to do an all in one report rather than piece meal.

Early Test

I thought I’d give a little info about a couple of the Z8’s I sampled after a short cure. I smoked joints of Z1 and Z2 (my numbering) on separate days after a short break.

Z1 - The smell from the jar is kind of fruity, on the berry/grape side. When breaking up the buds, more of the grape smell came out. The buds were very sticky. A dry toke on the joint was similar. The taste of the smoke was like a slight fruit basket with a hint of citrus, had a sweet chewy type after taste. I’ve grown Early Haze and would say there are slight similarities (fruit wise) in these qualities which would make sense since I believe the father is the same.

The effects - I smoked a little over ½ a joint or so. After about 5 minutes there is both a body and head high. The body seems to originate deep and migrates out but is not overpowering. The head seems to start similarly. I have a unique thing that happens when I smoke a stronger weed, immediately after smoking I get a burning sensation in my sinus and I felt that with this sample. After about 10 minutes I felt a slight pressure on the temples. It was kind of a motivating type high, I did a lot of things around the house in the next 2 hours. It was also somewhat alerting and thought provoking yet when I sat back down and took a break the body sensations were more noticeable. I noticed this same type of thing with another pheno I tested earlier, Z3.

Z2 – The smells and taste of this one were similar to the Z1 although a bit muted. The buds were not as sticky.

Effects – The effects were similar to Z1 although I didn’t get the sinus thing or pressure on the temples. It was almost like it was a toned down version of Z1.

I’m not the best at describing smells and effects but Z2 seemed like a dud-like version of Z1. I’m not sure if this is due to one being stronger than the other or the effects of a different combination of cannabinoids. My taste would be for the stronger one but as I’ve mentioned before I’m not really sure what to expect with these. I will test these again when I can and see if I get the same results. I’ve also given some samples to a buddy as a blind test, will report on that when I hear back.

Sorry for not updating in a while. I got a report back on the blind tests of Z1 and Z2 and was told of similarities to what I found, almost to a “T”. What I gave to sample were joints so he didn’t have much to add as far as smells and the touchy feely stuff are concerned but he did say that Z1 had a bit of a peppery taste. He really liked Z1 as it was stronger.

I sampled both of those again and came up with the same conclusions. I also have tried a couple of more phenos and one, Z7, had a very sedating effect. Similar in tastes and smells but really a relaxing smoke. Z6 had more of a head high, it was the plant that had more stretch than the others and I let go a bit longer. Need to try them both again but these La Niñas keep getting in the way…those little girls are trouble.

I’ve been wanting to get a home test kit but I put the funds toward a few auction wins (couldn’t help myself). It will be interesting if and when I do get a kit, comparing the test results to what’s been experienced smoke wise should be enlightening.

Too funny

Need to try them both again but these La Niñas keep getting in the way…those little girls are trouble.

La Nina indeed seems to cancel out other samples.:D

I have the 2 CBD strains that I have yet to run. Good smoke report, nice and analytic.

Back