Swifty's Cacti Collection

I absolutely adore your cacti collection! I've lived at least half of my life in the desert and subsequently my Abuela plucked many a cacti needle out of my culo as a child. 😅🤣

I often contemplate starting my own collection. But between my iguana I had for years, and my currently curious feline. I figure this isn't the appropriate home for one.

I absolutely adore your cacti collection! I've lived at least half of my life in the desert and subsequently my Abuela plucked many a cacti needle out of my culo as a child. 😅🤣

I often contemplate starting my own collection. But between my iguana I had for years, and my currently curious feline. I figure this isn't the appropriate home for one.
Thanks Diesel.
A small peyote does not need much care and doesn't sting.
Easy to start with.:)
Greetings.

@Swifty any advice for harvesting seed from my peyote? Do I need to dry & cold shock them before sprouting?
I do this DannyTwoJoints.
I let the fruit hang on the cacti until it is all schriveled and almost dry, then I pick it off and let it dry further at room temperature away from the sun on a paper towel.
After a couple of weeks it is bone dry and you can harvest the seeds.
Then I would put them in the fridge (airtight container with dessicant) for a week before sowing.
This method always worked fine with fresh seeds, I have 3 peyote fruits from a friend drying as we speak.

Good luck and please post a pic if you succeed!

I do this DannyTwoJoints.
I let the fruit hang on the cacti until it is all schriveled and almost dry, then I pick it off and let it dry further at room temperature away from the sun on a paper towel.
After a couple of weeks it is bone dry and you can harvest the seeds.
Then I would put them in the fridge (airtight container with dessicant) for a week before sowing.
This method always worked fine with fresh seeds, I have 3 peyote fruits from a friend drying as we speak.

Good luck and please post a pic if you succeed!

That's really helpful, thanks!

Small update on the seedlings,

San Pedro are growing some serious spikes already.
SP8.jpg

SP9.jpg

They peyotes are germinating, here you can see one sending his mainroot into the dirt and getting a foot hold in life.:)

PY4.jpg

2mm in diameter and already showing its ribs and button form.

PY6.jpg

Very happy to have these back.

the rest of my cacti are also doing good, I see new growth in my biggest grafted peyote this year.
I will post them when I find some more time.

Attachments

• PY5.jpg
    PY5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PY3.jpg
    PY3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • SP7.jpg
    SP7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello everybody,

I've been busy last week transplanting and nursing my cacti. I've neglected them a bit the last few years but they are hardy.
So they all received a new container and some fresh dirt. I tried to remove as much of the old dirt as possible, doing a good root pruning at the same time.

I have these around 20 years now, they can grow old with me and I'm quite fond of them. They give some pretty flowers and a bunch of seeds.
Never planned on consuming them, they are part of the family!

So I started with this collection:
View attachment 61499
View attachment 61500
View attachment 61501

As the years went by I had to part with some and kept my Peyotes.
The rest I gave away to friends, most have them still today.
Mine all got stolen :( the asshole got theirs but your pictures give me this feeling of excitement and sadness, coupled with the same sentiment, that most people probably only get, looking at cute puppy/kitten/kid videos.

Digital fist bump.

Just out of curiosity, does the subforum name "Ethnobotanical Garden" mean anything to you? Your avatar just looks very familiar.

Not me WDS, pic is from one of my peyotes flowers.:)
I saw the guy doing the homeless shuffle at the Vantucky public library years later, trying really hard for me to not notice him.

Turns out the person, I got the seeds from (who isn't in that country anymore or in business) was the hottiest of hot women. (maybe just knowing she's a plant lady... I met a woman, who could id plants better than me [wild ones] once... be still my heart... and other things) I saw her posting other plant stuff, online, using the same distinctive handle. It was my moment, like in the 1st Matrix, where Neo meets Trinity and he goes "I always thought that you were a guy."

When I was a teenager, there was a forum i posted on A LOT, where a member had a profoundly similar picture in their avatar. I just got excited thinking we might be Alma Matters of the same spot. Doesn't matter either way really. Still birds of a feather.

My biggest living accomplishment, with perennials of that GENERAL ballpark, is a 1.5 year old Mandragora autumnalis. NOT easy plants to get to start in the 1st place, and not always easy to figure out where they want to be placed in terms of light.

Made some pics of my older cacti today.
Another year has past and still alive.:)
I have been feeding them with 6-18-36-3 (N-P-K-Mg) +trace elements ones a month now and see some improvement in the health of the biggest/oldest ones.
Repotted the Crested San Pedro, I was a bit late to do this, you can see he started to grow upwards more due to being restricted to the sides.

Old1.jpgOld2.jpgOld3.jpgOld4.jpgOld5.jpgOld6.jpgOld7.jpgOld8.jpgOld9.jpgOld10.jpg

Made some pics of my older cacti today.
Another year has past and still alive.:)
I have been feeding them with 6-18-36-3 (N-P-K-Mg) +trace elements ones a month now and see some improvement in the health of the biggest/oldest ones.
Repotted the Crested San Pedro, I was a bit late to do this, you can see he started to grow upwards more due to being restricted to the sides.

View attachment 87075View attachment 87076View attachment 87077View attachment 87078View attachment 87079View attachment 87080View attachment 87081View attachment 87082View attachment 87083View attachment 87084

Fuck yeah! 🤩😍😛

Those crested San P look amazing - been on my want list for a while!
The SP cuttings I took last year have established themselves well, quite fat but only 2- 4 inch lengths. I'd like to try grafting some peyote & crested SP onto them when I find something suitable.
Any recommendations for EU suppliers?

Fuck yeah! 🤩😍😛

Those crested San P look amazing - been on my want list for a while!
The SP cuttings I took last year have established themselves well, quite fat but only 2- 4 inch lengths. I'd like to try grafting some peyote & crested SP onto them when I find something suitable.
Any recommendations for EU suppliers?
Nice to hear!
Those combinations will make for some interesting cacti, expect some crazy growth. 😄
Do post a pic if you do this!

Back