Swifty's Cacti Collection

Hey Swifty Nice pics! I only just saw your tag!

I love the monstrose Trichs goit a soft spot for them!

First time with photos here so expect some issues...

My plants in the GH are generally all OK, but some of my Trichs in the conservatory got hit with thrips real bad when I closed the windows for a holiday, so they had to go outside see outdoor image.

Only got a few recent snaps on me at work, but will get some together for a further update.

@Swifty - I am concerned for some of your older Loph's - some look to have RSM pretty bad, which effects the surface like that, I know as I struggle with it too quite often. You can try dusting them with DE... It does similar damage to the thrip issue seen on my outdoor trichs. A bigger issue is it can provide a vector for fungal issues later on. I find it is often worse with Lophs with a very organic substrate like yours so I transferred most of my lophs to a more mineral based sub.

I have a large Tr. Peruvianus that at around 12ft tall has this year reached about an inch from the roof of my conservatory and I kow it'll just punch right through if I leave it. It's about 8" thick diameter so not sure what it weighs, only that I cannot lift the pot, it's going to be a fun one asking the Mrs to help me when I have to cut it down!

I have some really big lophs that I grow fast, some grafted monsters too, but my favs are some I grow very "hard" and only water like 3-4 times a year in summer, in 100% mineral substrate. They are about 30 years old but you could get some that size in less than 5yrs by pushing them much harder, they just look much more natural grown slower - I'll get some snaps of them to try and demonstrate and no doubt upload them terribly badly like the luddite I am.

View attachment 76826
View attachment 76825
Thank you very much for sharing @Redlegs!
I would love to see the rest of your collection.:)

I just checked my peyotes with a loup but I cant find a single spider mite on them. They started turning greyish a good 5 years ago when they were relocated from a north-east situated window to a south-west. I always thought that they had sun burn? Now I am no expert at all, If you think that it is something else I will certainly look into it!

What species do you have? I think i see some San Pedro, Peruvian Torches?

I plan on growing my collection again and I am always eager to learn more. It's been a while since I paused this hobby.
Do you think I could regain some vitality in my Peyotes?

I have a ton of older seeds from my Peyotes. I will try and germinate them in winter time.

Greetings.

Hi Swifty,

I don't know if I'll get my whole collection photographed I got a bit obsessed a few years ago although luckily a very cold winter last year got the numbers back to a more sensible level!

I'm glad you got no RSM now, it could be sunburn but going from my own plants I think it maybe healed now and maybe they've moved on? I have a caesposita yote that is grey just like that yours, although not as big and I thought it turned that way after some mites attacked it a few years ago. I could certainly be wrong, I usually am!

I like to grow Peyotes in a very free draining mineral/grit based soil and then you can water them more and add some dilute nutes, seaweed etc and that can help to get them pumping. I have had some success this year using a dilute foliar of sulphur and calcium, I actually used some of my hydro stuff some jeff winterborne "boost" and calcium powder sprayed at night and washed off before the sun could have caused issues and it helped to stop the crust and new green growth returned. I was nervous using things like this on my cacti but so far so good.

I did manage to take a few more images of some of my collection

This one is my tallest Trichocereus at around 8/9ft, it is a short spined peruvianoid but was sold to me as a Pachanoi a few years back. Apart from the looming issue of it bursting through my conservatory ceiling next year it got hit bad with thrips this summer turning the tip nasty and crusty > Insert STD joke here<

P1040374.JPG
P1040378.JPG
This one above is a Tr. Scopulicola, I like them a lot so have quite a few. As an aside I got into Cacti (again, I collected them as a child) after reading/studying about the Chavin culture who venerated Trichocereus/San Pedro thousands of years ago. There is a stone relief in a temple there that is the oldest representation of shamanic/ritual use of cactus I believe, here is an image of it:

chavin.jpg

I mention it as I believe the Tr. Scopulicola being spineless is likely an example of selective breeding by ancient cultures spanning many, many generations. Now believed to be extinct in the wild. I am very blessed to now own some clones of plants that grow in and around the Ancient Chavin temple complex...

Some of them have truly beautiful flowers, you wait all year and they come and go in a day! This one was dinner plate sized:
flower.jpg

I'll follow up with some Peyote soon and other cacti but my lunch break is over so back to the grind!

Last edited:
Nice cacti!
I will look into your method, I do know that calcium and magnesium are 2 elements that are necessary for maintaining health.

That Pachanoi is a beast, how big is the container you are keeping it in?

I kept a small jar in the living room where I put the dried fruits in from my peyotes from the last years.
I cleaned the fruits and harvested the seeds yesterday and put them in the fridge, made some pics will post them when I have some more time.
Must be between 50-100 seeds, they could be 5-6 years old by now and where stored at room temperature.
I hope some sprout.

That flower is amazing! Did it give any scent?

Looking forward to see your peyotes. :)

I bought two new Peyotes and some San Pedro seeds.
Time to start growing the collection again.

They are still very small but already nice to look at. :)

Peyote4(lophophorawilliamsii).jpgPeyote5(lophophorawilliamsiiJourdania).jpg

The last one is variety called "Jourdania", nice flowers on these.

The San Pedro seeds will be sown at the end of the winter.
I plan to graft a seedling Peyote (if they sprout) to a seedling San Pedro.

Greetings.

Lovely stuff Swifty, I am sorry I haven't managed to photograph mine to share with you, I've been after a jourdaniana for a while they are an interesting one, I've been reading discussions now of where it is thought to be a northern form hybrid currently, but the colourful flowers will be a delight!

What san pedro seeds did you get? Pachanoids? I'm sat on about 5000 seeds of various cultivars/landrace mums/monstrose parents etc. The mrs can only tolerate so many propogators around the house etc so they are still waiting!

The only image I have on me now of a peyote is one I have grafted to pereskiopsis a couple of years ago and this is it a few days ago:-

IMG_20231022_0854282.jpg IMG_20231022_0854365.jpg

It is about 3" across in 2 years of my usual neglectful gardening style and I've lifted several pups from it and rooted them...

Compared to these two, which are 30 years and 24 years old respectively and under 2", from wild collected seed back when that was more acceptable behaviour!

old boys.jpg

They are grown in completely mineral substrate ( pumice with amendments) and watered 2-3 times a year at most. "Hard Grown" is the term!

@Swifty I'm sure grafted to San Pedro they will fly, I have a couple at home like that, but pereskiopsis is great for pushing them past the very small seedling stage. It is a horrid plant to work with though, lots of small glochids that get stuck in your finger and welcome in arthritis, but it does allow you to graft cacti from very small and it pushes them very fast as you can water it like a tomato...

Loving your work!

@Swifty sorry I missed your comments, still getting used to the forum!
That Pachanoi is a beast, how big is the container you are keeping it in?
It's about a 50Litre pot, terracotta... I'm wincing about the re-pot/moving of this plant!
That flower is amazing! Did it give any scent?
Yes! It had a delightful subtly lemony smell, very alluring and much stronger during night. I think in nature cactus flowers like this can attract bats and moths as pollinators, I know that is true for my selenicereus...

Best
redlegs

What san pedro seeds did you get? Pachanoids?
Yes!
I'm sat on about 5000 seeds of various cultivars/landrace mums/monstrose parents
:oops:, that is impressive.
How do you germinate your seeds?
Keeping them moist and warm I presume but are there any special tricks of things to know?

Your Peyotes are beautifull and in great health, they have a good home.:)
Thanks for sharing @Redlegs, always nice to see other peoples cacti and I can tell that you are very knowledgeable on them.
Keep them coming.(y)

It's about a 50Litre pot, terracotta... I'm wincing about the re-pot/moving of this plant!
That is going to be a big task, some friends and lots of styrofoam should do the job.😅

Love your work also!

Pejuta for tonight's ceremony.

View attachment 77838
"When we heal ourselves, we heal the earth. When we heal the earth, we heal ourselves."

mu
I hope you had a great journey Mu!

Would you like to share how you prepared these buttons for the ceremony?

Hastiness of life has put me off center for quite a while now, I feel like I could really benefit from a ceremony now.
Unfortunatly I don't know the right people to do this here.

Dear relatives,
We have many Germans come stateside to attend our Sundance yearly and to partake of fruit also. They say people who choose to grow the sacrament were called to do this and therefore qualified to be roadmen, intercessors. Surely you and @Redlegs qualify.
There are two traditional ways to do ceremony that involve a fireplace, a fire (which burns all night) in the tipi. However there is no reason one can’t commune with spirit by oneself. Its about the prayer or intention if you prefer. When one has difficulty or another person suffers in some way, then ceremony proceeds.
Some flake, thin slice the fruit and dry. The small pieces are easier to handle for some. Many just let the buttons dry by themselves. I store them in a jar with dessicant away from sunlight. Make sure to pick off all the white tuffs! High strychnine content.
Taking an appropriate amount for preparation, I use my braun coffee grinder or a food processor to make into a powder. I then rehydrate by making a tea or a paste. A little water into the powder and then roll some little balls sized according to dosage. I roll four balls and take during the four phases of ceremony, in addition to drinking tea. They say one honors the spirits from the four directions in this way. I burn sage while involved in this process as a form of purification and cleansing.
This is an all-night ceremony- staying awake all night to greet the morning of the following day. I have sacreds I prepare and use. Feathered fans, etc. If I do a ceremony by myself at home, I cue up peyote music to take the place of the songs sang in the tipi. I create a spiritual space, a container.
While I prefer the traditional ways mentioned, I believe we all have our own way of communing with Spirit and innately know what we need to do to heal ourselves. Often it is a “letting go” that is involved/required. Forgiveness plays a big part here. Become a hollow bone. I am not a roadman just a humble seeker of truth, a human being.
Wishing my peyote brothers a blessed day.
Hecetu yelo, Generous Heart

Dear relatives,
We have many Germans come stateside to attend our Sundance yearly and to partake of fruit also. They say people who choose to grow the sacrament were called to do this and therefore qualified to be roadmen, intercessors. Surely you and @Redlegs qualify.
There are two traditional ways to do ceremony that involve a fireplace, a fire (which burns all night) in the tipi. However there is no reason one can’t commune with spirit by oneself. Its about the prayer or intention if you prefer. When one has difficulty or another person suffers in some way, then ceremony proceeds.
Some flake, thin slice the fruit and dry. The small pieces are easier to handle for some. Many just let the buttons dry by themselves. I store them in a jar with dessicant away from sunlight. Make sure to pick off all the white tuffs! High strychnine content.
Taking an appropriate amount for preparation, I use my braun coffee grinder or a food processor to make into a powder. I then rehydrate by making a tea or a paste. A little water into the powder and then roll some little balls sized according to dosage. I roll four balls and take during the four phases of ceremony, in addition to drinking tea. They say one honors the spirits from the four directions in this way. I burn sage while involved in this process as a form of purification and cleansing.
This is an all-night ceremony- staying awake all night to greet the morning of the following day. I have sacreds I prepare and use. Feathered fans, etc. If I do a ceremony by myself at home, I cue up peyote music to take the place of the songs sang in the tipi. I create a spiritual space, a container.
While I prefer the traditional ways mentioned, I believe we all have our own way of communing with Spirit and innately know what we need to do to heal ourselves. Often it is a “letting go” that is involved/required. Forgiveness plays a big part here. Become a hollow bone. I am not a roadman just a humble seeker of truth, a human being.
Thank you.🙏

Dear relatives,
Musashi you are an inspirational grower and an inspirational soul. Thank you

Peyote seeds harvested, went in the fridge for 36h and now in the dirt.
I keep them at 25-26°C and at high humidity.

The waiting game begins.🤞

View attachment 76992View attachment 76993View attachment 76994
After 5 months of waiting I gave up on these peyote seeds.
A little bit sad but my friend who was given a couple of peyotes that I brought up from my own seeds years back said that he has a big fruit on one of them now and he will give it to me when it is dry. It will come of his biggest flower he has ever seen on them.
The circle is round!:)

Now in the mean time I've been busy with San Pedro seeds:

SP1.jpgSP2.jpgSP3.jpg

Still little babies, aprox. 3-4mm big, hard to believe that these can grow several meters tall.
I find it fascinating how they spread there roots and get a foothold on the dirt.
For now they stay under a foil with lot's of breathing holes in.

My other cacti will have their first good watering with some feeding today.

New life always makes me happy.

Back