Super Silver Haze - Pheno Hunting - Electric Sky LED CoCo Grow

I like the leaf shape of #6 and #10 so far. Keep monitoring the smell as it will probably change as flowering progresses.

I would flower the male and take some pollen. You can keep it in the frigde for several month or freeze it. (There is good info around here about it). As the male flowers completley out you should montitor his smell also and see if he makes visible thrichs. I Always pic the tops from a desirable male late in flowering and dry them out. I smoke them to see what resin profile he carries and what the high is like (surprisingly good some times!). If this all ads up I make some seeds and grow them to see what he carries in the offspring.

Always fun!

I also grow under high power leds in combination with CMH lighting. This works the best for me (Colder climate). Quality is outstanding and yield is good. When I started with leds only I encountered also al lot of problems. I've tried a lot of different things (from nutes, additives to adding other types of lighting), now i grow with CMH until they are well established and then slowly add led light. Once I hit 2nd week of flowering I usually am at 100% power for the leds. I don't ammend my soil with extra cal or mag anymore ( I grow organically in soil), just a bit heavier on the nutes if I see that they need it.

Hope it helps!

Collected some pollen off the male a few days ago and used a q-tip to pollinate a branch or two of each female. I had read week 3-4 was the perfect time to pollinate. I wasn’t extremely careful (and might end up paying for it) but I’d rather have more seeds than less.

As we enter week 4 of flower I just did some defoliating of the canopy by hand…. HOLY SHIT is plant #10 REAKING of cat piss!! I’ve read it is a special / sought after pheno so I’m excited to smoke her.

Last edited:
Collected some pollen off the male a few days ago and used a q-tip to pollinate a branch or two of each female. I had read week 3-4 was the perfect time to pollinate. I wasn’t extremely careful (and might end up paying for it) but I’d rather have more seeds than less.

As we enter week 4 of flower I just did some defoliating of the canopy by hand…. HOLY SHIT is plant #10 REAKING of cat piss!! I’ve read it is a special / sought after pheno so I’m excited to smoke her.
How would you describe the catpiss smell to someone who has not smelt it before?

Last edited:
So I don’t think I’m going to be using the slow release dry amendments again. Nothing against them I just think being at a novice level I should master one thing at a time and I’m currently more comfortable using the GH Trio with some calmag added and growing that way. I’ve been battling nutrient lockout, deficiency or excess the last few weeks and I’m struggling to diagnose which of those three it is? The PH of my medium (coco/worm castings / dry amendments) has been fluctuating a lot right now it’s at 5.5. I have no idea why it fluctuates so much.. my instruments are calibrated and I’ve been watering with 5.8-6.2 each time. I’m going to upload a photo of a leaf in a moment and perhaps someone can help diagnose the problem.

To my novice eyes the leaves look too light a shade of green which I think means not enough nitrogen (and probably other nutrients as well..) I’m thinking the 3 gallon pots are too small to be trying this method of slow release nutes cause I haven’t added any teas.. some of the bottom leaves have gotten yellow and died off which really had me thinking they’re starving (but is it the fluctuating ph of the medium or the lack of nutrients!! I don’t know because I’m using these damn slow release nutes..)

The orange rust in between the leaf veins has me thinking calcium/magnesium deficiency..?? I’ve read both Coco holds on to calcium and LED lights also increase calcium deficiencies. I watered with calmag added a week ago and I feel like it didn’t help and might have even made the problem worse. It’s hard to tell if the plants improving or worsening because of how much damage the leaves already have. I don’t think the leaves will repair themselves of the damage already done.. correct?

I have heard that runoff ppms and EC don’t matter when growing with organic slow release (they can range from 1100 to 3000 and the plant will “take what it needs” from the medium. Still, my ppm was 2200 the other day (first time measuring) and I freaked out because I read SSH was a light feeder.

Desperate to figure out what was going on I flushed them with dechlorinated water PHd to 6.0 with a ppm of less than 100. I flushed until the runoff came down to 450ppm. I have read you can’t flush out slow release nutrients by simply running a lot of water through it (another reason why I’m staying away from them moving forward..). Regardless, I’m hoping they were wrong and now I’m starting with a somewhat fresh slate..

I just watered with the GH Trio of nutrients plus calmag at a ppm of 800 (starting off slow). If I don’t see them get worse I’m going to keep feeding them the GH trio, likely bumping the feedings up closer to 1200 ppm with a plain water every 3rd water. I think the plants are deficient of nutrients not in excess.. I guess we’re going to find out soon. Any help and / or opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Hello TGTDE!

Sorry to see you are having these problems with your SSH. It appears to this inexperienced grower that your diagnosis of the problems is correct. To my untrained eye it does look like problems with lockout, PH, calcium, magnesium, and perhaps manganese. I have not had any of these problems 'yet'(I am sure it is only a matter of growing time) so I can't offer up any sure-fire solutions. I am hoping that some of our more experienced and knowledgeable growers will step in and offer you up some help. Looking to see what the solutions would be for these problems. Good Luck and hope you get this sorted out! Sorry I could not offer up any real help. :(

Longball

Gotta upload some of the bad with the good. The good news is I think I’ve gotten things back under control. Using the GH Trio + Calmag. Feeding this morning at 1200ppm and the runoff was 1100ppm (so almost the same out as in). Checked the PH of the coco medium and it averaged 5.7 today 💪🎉 .

Now for a photo drop!

Two days in to week 6:

Plant 6 - doing the best, starting to get some purple 😍

7C6DCA9C-18ED-4180-82E3-E03348670817.jpeg

Now for some of the bad.. lots of burn orange from the next two. But the new growth seems to be an improved shade of green and the orange doesn’t seem to be getting any worse..

Plant 10: some foxtailing?

1B1AD3B7-DC4C-4BC7-8A72-3C78D42D6D77.jpeg
I’ve been trying to up the intensity of the two ES300s to 7/10 brightness but the girls seem to respond negatively so we’re back down to 6/10 for brightness..

Hi TGTDE,

Hang in there!

Don't try to push these plants by upping the lights. They have had it a little rough for a while so they arn't at full strenght and will not recover anymore. They still might surprise you in the end if you take it easy with them.

My experience with high powered leds and soil is that the wet-dry cycle is a bit shorter. I don't let them dry out as much. Beware that this a small difference and you still have tot respect the cycle. There is something abouts leds and roots....

Th
Hi TGTDE,

Hang in there!

Don't try to push these plants by upping the lights. They have had it a little rough for a while so they arn't at full strenght and will not recover anymore. They still might surprise you in the end if you take it easy with them.

My experience with high powered leds and soil is that the wet-dry cycle is a bit shorter. I don't let them dry out as much. Beware that this a small difference and you still have tot respect the cycle. There is something abouts leds and roots....

Thanks Swifty, appreciate the input! I do think you’re right. The buds are looking pretty good despite all the stress I’ve put them through. While further researching various nutrient deficiencies I did recently read when they’re deficient of calcium (or maybe it was magnesium.. pretty sure calcium) that they have decreased heat tolerance. Hopefully they continue to bounce back as best they can.

Th

Thanks Swifty, appreciate the input! I do think you’re right. The buds are looking pretty good despite all the stress I’ve put them through. While further researching various nutrient deficiencies I did recently read when they’re deficient of calcium (or maybe it was magnesium.. pretty sure calcium) that they have decreased heat tolerance. Hopefully they continue to bounce back as best they can.

If I look at you're newest growth I see that the sugar leaves are more healthy looking and the pistils are looking normal. No flat growth to be seen so I would suggest that you keep doing what you are doing now and don't change to much (not more food en not more light for these plants).

Good luck!

Back