Strut your studs!

Swifty

'23, '24 COE Winner
Since harvesting my first pollen this year I am more and more intrigued by males.
After searching the forum for some time I found some great info already on what good properties are and what to look after, I will ad usefull info here later on.

Now what I miss is a good thread that show the MNS males found by members here.

I would like to ask you to post your pics of your males here and if you can give some info on why you kept them or why they are special to you.
This would help me (and others) to learn more.

Here are the males I found in Mango Haze and Mango Haze IBL.

Mango Haze male #5:

MHIBL103Nice.jpg

He smelled fruity, a bit hazy and also metal.

Mango Haze male #15:

MHIBL106Nice.jpg

This male also smelled fruity, hazy and some musk.

Mango Haze IBL #5:

MHIBL109Nice.jpg

Smell was strong, very fruity and like sweet perfume, This one interests me the most.

You can find a little bit more info here: https://mrnice.nl/forum/threads/man...e-ibl-in-search-of-a-keeper.18335/post-282601

In time I will post the results from these males.

So strud your studs here!:) (ladyboys or shemales are fine but not welcome here😝).

Thank you for contributing.

Since harvesting my first pollen this year I am more and more intrigued by males.
After searching the forum for some time I found some great info already on what good properties are and what to look after, I will ad usefull info here later on.

Now what I miss is a good thread that show the MNS males found by members here.

I would like to ask you to post your pics of your males here and if you can give some info on why you kept them or why they are special to you.
This would help me (and others) to learn more.

Here are the males I found in Mango Haze and Mango Haze IBL.

Mango Haze male #5:

View attachment 79838

He smelled fruity, a bit hazy and also metal.

Mango Haze male #15:

View attachment 79840

This male also smelled fruity, hazy and some musk.

Mango Haze IBL #5:

View attachment 79842

Smell was strong, very fruity and like sweet perfume, This one interests me the most.

You can find a little bit more info here: https://mrnice.nl/forum/threads/man...e-ibl-in-search-of-a-keeper.18335/post-282601

In time I will post the results from these males.

So strud your studs here!:) (ladyboys or shemales are fine but not welcome here😝).

Thank you for contributing.

Great idea! Count me in (y)

I will post more information of my Skunk Haze male as soon as I use him for breeding (y)

MB

Thanks @Apollo, @longball, @Mr. Brown and everyone who would help build this thread! (y)

Let's start with some interesting posts from Shantibaba and Nevil:

As I understand it, pollen is only good for about 3 days. I have had some success keeping the pollen in the fridge, but it soon becomes a hit and miss affair, and I couldn't afford to miss. Pollen will "germinate"(what's the right word?) in the presence of water.
I always hosed down my males prior to use. This causes the pollen which had been shed, to release it's germ-plasm and is no longer a threat. Fresh pollen is then used from newly opened flowers.
Most mail services are not reliable enough to guarantee success. Putting it on a plane would get it anywhere in the world on time, but you might have trouble explaining what it is. Of course, only small amounts are required. It might become "lost" in a bigger package. Last time I couriered mail by plane it cost $180 if I remember correctly, and that was years ago.
We need more research into extending the life span of pollen. Any scientists out there?
N.

Plants with superior genotypes come in both sexes. An argument could be made that certain traits expressed in female flowers are sex linked or even pedominantly carried on the sex chromosome. The male only has one X. It could be that males are more homozygous when it comes to passing on traits expressed in its daughters. The stamp they put on them is unmistakeable. Both Haze males A and C were crossed with NL5. Let the boys in Holland who have cuts from both tell how different they are. Another male plant that stamped all over anything I crossed with it was Ort15. It might pay to inbreed to that male. It was an indica powerhouse. You can because I did 1:1 matings.
IBLs will do the same thing.
N.

Hi All

most informative thread and well done to those partaking in this discussion!

The only thing i wish to add is a tool we have used in the passed for selection of males of a strain. We used giberillic acid on male plants years ago to test to see if the male was a true male or had some intersexed traits associated with it. If you macho spray a male plant and it produces viable seed it will not be considered a true male dominant. So when you find a male plant that you wish to check this is a good initial indicator .

Genetics is mathematics in nature. The basics of this study are easy to follow and give many hobby growers a clearer understanding of what they are seeing in a progeny generation. It makes a hobbyist into a professional due to using and understanding numbers in a natural population. So I would confirm that is it always good to better yourself with learning. Things are not as complicated when you study them, many are pure logic. The biggest benefit i see with people who further their learning on this subject with education and science, is instead of looking at a plant they begin to see the elements that go into a plant and thus break things down into units. By doing this a person can remedy systems, correct the health of the plant and go onto produce excellence in this field. With the knowledge that 2 states in the USA legalized cannabis today, it would only seem logical this plant will be supplying a lot of work for us in the future...so if you are looking for work or know your friends are, it may just be excellent timing to enrol into that course you always wanted to do!

Be well all the best Sb

A post from shanti..
The importance of selecting plants for the traits that are useful to the breeder/grower is the main reason genetics have evolved as they have. Male plants of this species need to be carefully selected to avoid a lot of laborious work, which means one will need to do a lot of testing of F1 seed made from a particular male to verify if the sex linked traits are real or not. Males that auto flower irrespective of daylight hours are normally eliminated to insure against hermaphroditism or unwanted male traits. Males that flower too quickly or too tall are also not the best for breeding since they put too much energy into fiber production which is not the trait one is looking for in a medicinal plant. Males that have large hollow main stems are sought out rather than males that are more pith-filled stems - the main reason are that large hollow stemmed males are better THC producers than other plants. Males that produce tight floral clusters rather than airy sparse floral clusters are usually better to breed with. Finally if you rub your fingers against the stem of a developing male and are able to get strong odors or aromas (terpines) you will be advised to use these males as trichrome production and flavor are directly related to plants that produce odors early on. There are several other traits to look for in a male but these are rather advanced and need microscope help which is not really relevant for the hobby grower/breeder.

Hi All

correct i meant it needs lab testing for cannabinoids and of terpene profiling, plus checking the onset of resin glands and where they form either on the stem or all over, and of course the most concrete testing is hitting different males with same female and checking the progeny plants...for me this is essential so you are sure how it is performing in the seed you are distributing to others. Stress testing progeny plants is also a good indicator of strong males.
The ratio to look for is according to Fibonacci series 1 to 1.6.
I do recall years ago with Nevil in south of Holland and before female seeds came into being, we tested to see if the males were true and not with hermie tendencies, we reversed the males much as we do for female seed production nowadays. If the reversed males were sterile it showed true male chromosomes and if they produced seeds then it showed a potential for hermie seed....so hope that helps clear up things.

All the best Sb

@Swifty amazing idea for a thread. Who knows perhaps Shanti will pop in once and a while. I think this is the BEST website to have a studly stud thread.

For the photos, did you only want people to post males they have fully flowered and or previously bred with? Or, is this a free all of post whichever males you like?

I've only one standout so far, and I haven't gotten to flower him yet. I wouldn't want to post him if your intention were flowered out males, such as the fosty looking studs you put up.

Again, great thread!
Diesel840

@Swifty amazing idea for a thread. Who knows perhaps Shanti will pop in once and a while. I think this is the BEST website to have a studly stud thread.

For the photos, did you only want people to post males they have fully flowered and or previously bred with? Or, is this a free all of post whichever males you like?

I've only one standout so far, and I haven't gotten to flower him yet. I wouldn't want to post him if your intention were flowered out males, such as the fosty looking studs you put up.

Again, great thread!
Diesel840
Thanks Diesel, all pictures of males are welcome!

Great thread Swifty. I'll be sucking up all info from this. Ive never bred so am very interested in what to look for in a male plant.
Thanks Jonesie!

This story actually starts with a female. After all, where do you think males come from? You may put your hand down, @Diesel840, this was only a rhetorical question. The female, Mrs. Lemon Haze Autoflower is seen here, lower left, getting it on with the infamous Mr. Fugly, who seems to have planted his manstalk everywhere.

cfouple.jpg

This union produced a number of sons and the son on the right was selected to make some F2 Lemon Haze Auto X G13Afghan Skunk seeds. The tall plant on the left is a G13xAfghan Skunk F2 male. Son of Mr. & Mrs. Fugly. It was not needed this year so it was relagated to the 'Dumpster of Destiny'.

MALES 2023 P1080241.JPG

Son of Mrs. Lemon Haze Auto all grown up and ready to reproduce.

Lemon Haze Auto x G13AfSk 1 male P1080107.JPG

It wasn't long before he started making a mess.

Mess2 P1080191.JPG

2 females were selected and 1 was set under each of his arms. He wasted no time getting busy! Takes after his Dad, Mr. Fugly, and Longball. Remember, these girls do have Autoflowers in their jeans genes.

Lemon Haze 20223 P1080408.JPG

I can say that he sure wasn't shooting blanks!

LHA1 GAS 2023 P1080447.JPG

Each female produced 700+ seeds. I am hoping for about 25% Autoflowers of Lemon Haze Auto X Mr. Fugly. I will start testing in a week or two, only Autoflowers will be kept, if I get any, all else goes to the 'Dumpster of Destiny'. This way I don't have to build a grow room or buy a tent as darkness is not a concern. Easy peasy, nice 'n sleazy!

P1110306.JPG

In the past, like this summer ;), I didn't really think about selecting for traits, I just picked the nicest looking plants to my eye. Next summer I plan to do a lot of 'breeding' and I will be much better informed about what plants to select. I will selecting both males and females. Hats off to Swifty for starting this thread! :love:🆒

Longball

Last edited:
In the past, like this summer ;), I didn't really think about selecting for traits, I just picked the nicest looking plants to my eye. Next summer I plan to do a lot of 'breeding' and I will be much better informed about what plants to select.
You might not have had criteria you thought about. But I'd imagine going by looks and intuition is how most breeders started their selections. The Fugly's are a fine cross, my friend.

Diesel840

Some more interesting posts from members:

Hey all. Some great info being shared. The stem rub tech is a good one, kind of scratch and sniff.
Observation of the male plants is key, and most importantly, progeny testing to see what traits the male pass over is vital for selection of the best possible male. Generally the first males to flower are avoided by most breeders, unless early flowering is desired. As with females, study the flowering clusters, tight heavy clusters are what you are looking for, also resin production. Most growers don't realise that males do produce visable trichomes later in flowering, some can be surprisingly resinous. Getting yourself a 30x loup will help you identify resins and give you a closer look at the forming flowers. Once you have identified males that maybe useful observe them over time , the stem rub is an excellent tool. Testing males this way over time will show you the consistancy of the male. Many different odours are considered desirable, while others not so much. Sweet fruity smells are considered desirable, while the greener grassy smelling, or woody smelling types are really not desirable. Fuelly smelling odours are considered by some as undesirable, while others seek this. The latest flowering males are also considered undesirable by many breeders, but this is debatable. In the end progeny testing is key, and give you the information you are looking for, showing you the traits passed from the male. Many breeders have a select female for testing there males. A pure stable inbred line is best, as the outcome once the female is understood is predictable, and will show you the traits passed over from the male. Delving deeper into the f2 and further will help you identify reccesive and dominant traits. The punnet method of 25% will help show you reccesive traits. It really takes time to proply i.d desirable males. Many unwanted traits can surface during the breeding process. The f1 is very predictable once the male is understood. If your plan is to create f1's only, your job will be much easier. If you plan to create ibls male selection becomes more difficult. But as mentioned, progeny testing is the only answer at identifying the most desirable males.. The world of genetics is amazing! If you are serious about breeding and understanding genetics RC Clarke's marijuana botany is a must read. Anyway, hope that helps. Take care all , Sensient

Others may disagree, but I think it's valid to select males based on structure. I intend to run a pack of Afghan Haze next year to look for hazy plants, so it seems logical to select haze-leaning plants and cull indica types based on structure, at least to thin out the herd so that only a few make it into the flower tent. Of course I'm going to throw out some good potential plants because a haze high can come from an Indica looking plant, but in general the sativa looking plants are most likely to give sativa effects.

You can also do a quick dry and smoke test of the male flowers after they have opened, shed their pollen, and dropped off the plant. I was pleasantly surprised last night to do this smoke test on the haze-leaning Angel's Breathe male I selected and found a single hit cut right through the chem-ish weed I had been smoking. Of course, the only meaningful test is to grow out the seeds and test the progeny.

For some reason I seem to be able to make the most stuff ups with my males I’ve had a couple that were probably quite good. One in particular, that smelt amazing from a seedling. I couldn’t believe it I joked that it would be amazing if it was a male and it turned out it was! Then I found out don’t spray neem oil under lights while switched on consequently the poor bugger withered away. He did get his end away once though with my Bubblicious clone. All kinds of smells developed in the two generations after, I should take another look at those seeds one day.
I have just lost my favourite #7 Mango AC male from mislabelling it ‘Holy Grail’ and well, I’m still getting over it. He did get a couple of girl’s pregnant this past winter though so all not lost.
The below photos are of my boys outside. They don’t get the easiest of lives I keep them in small pots and they are kept in a small chest of drawers for the majority of the year until summer so grow a bit ugly.
Mango Haze x AC #7 (my lost boy) very vigorous, tall, small amount of purpling some fruity incense smells.
FD065851-03EC-4D1C-80B9-66E901394986.jpeg0FFF4736-4DAB-4455-BCD1-A162F7F694CF.jpeg
Mango Haze x AC #3 vigorous but not quite as much as #7 no purpling and has a velvety feel to the plant when touched. Very similar structure to #7.
2BF0E64C-A067-4598-9D61-73D337C609AB.jpegE00FAD76-460D-4BE3-9BC6-BC7F03832960.jpeg

Holy Smoke male this one has nice colouring and some lovely alligator tail leaves very tall and vigorous, a late flowerer as well.
42FA1545-3E11-46B3-B3E4-FFF18BCBA7CF.jpeg8DDCB23D-906E-4E8E-B4E4-1508D460705F.jpeg

Here is how I collect my pollen. I put cut flowers into a small jar of water into a plastic container away from all other plants and possible contaminations. You should line it with baking paper or something with the most frictionless surface you can, unlike in the photos! Pollen seems to grip on to everything! The florets will continue to open just as any cut flower and release their pollen into the chamber/container. I sweep up carefully into a shot glass and apply to my girls with a very small, soft paintbrush.
4DF2264A-FED7-47DD-B4E3-99F0DC4D8CAE.jpegFB70A576-91D2-4FDB-831E-A93D4633D720.jpeg
I think this is Mango Haze x AC #3
More to come I have a lovely Nordle male that smells like candy floss, he’s a real beast, he is successfully reveging as well! I find it’s bloody hard to get a male to reveg! So long as it’s not too far into flowering it can be done.

Cheers
Fish

For some reason I seem to be able to make the most stuff ups with my males I’ve had a couple that were probably quite good. One in particular, that smelt amazing from a seedling. I couldn’t believe it I joked that it would be amazing if it was a male and it turned out it was! Then I found out don’t spray neem oil under lights while switched on consequently the poor bugger withered away. He did get his end away once though with my Bubblicious clone. All kinds of smells developed in the two generations after, I should take another look at those seeds one day.
I have just lost my favourite #7 Mango AC male from mislabelling it ‘Holy Grail’ and well, I’m still getting over it. He did get a couple of girl’s pregnant this past winter though so all not lost.
The below photos are of my boys outside. They don’t get the easiest of lives I keep them in small pots and they are kept in a small chest of drawers for the majority of the year until summer so grow a bit ugly.
Mango Haze x AC #7 (my lost boy) very vigorous, tall, small amount of purpling some fruity incense smells.
View attachment 80158View attachment 80159
Mango Haze x AC #3 vigorous but not quite as much as #7 no purpling and has a velvety feel to the plant when touched. Very similar structure to #7.
View attachment 80160View attachment 80161

Holy Smoke male this one has nice colouring and some lovely alligator tail leaves very tall and vigorous, a late flowerer as well.
View attachment 80162View attachment 80163

Here is how I collect my pollen. I put cut flowers into a small jar of water into a plastic container away from all other plants and possible contaminations. You should line it with baking paper or something with the most frictionless surface you can, unlike in the photos! Pollen seems to grip on to everything! The florets will continue to open just as any cut flower and release their pollen into the chamber/container. I sweep up carefully into a shot glass and apply to my girls with a very small, soft paintbrush.
View attachment 80167View attachment 80166
I think this is Mango Haze x AC #3
More to come I have a lovely Nordle male that smells like candy floss, he’s a real beast, he is successfully reveging as well! I find it’s bloody hard to get a male to reveg! So long as it’s not too far into flowering it can be done.

Cheers
Fish
Thanks Fish, most helpfull and lovely males!:love:

Back