NEW RULES- Open photo assignment- Share your favorite random pics

Nice bike!

Thanks. As much as I love classic cars, bicycles are my happiest mode of transportation. The Xtracycle is the most modern vehicle I've ever owned. All the others were 80s and older. To my chagrin it turns more heads and gets more comments than any of the old French, Japanese or American classics.

Blood vessels of the hand

Looks like the hand from a Body Worlds exhibit? In person that stuff is even more amazing.

Hello @poly! ;)

Awesome looking bike! Not sure that I have seen one before. E-bike? Looks like a battery pack on the frame? And the $64,000 question. Why is the rear tire smaller than the front one? I ride my bicycle as much as I can. It is a Trek 6000. No one ever gives it a second look or a complient. Sometimes people do give the driver a 'number 1' finger though!

The interior has not yet been done on my car. That's the short story. A rear seat can no longer fit back there and you have to be short and skinny to fit because of the racing cage. Just some sound deadening material there now. Like you, car in storage so no pictures.

I did install a new dashboard with VDO gauges and I pretty much only watch the Oil Pressure and Boost gauge on that. Most people will install gauges everywhere, along the A pillar, where the cassette player used to be, where the ashtray was, etc. BTW, I still have the original AC Delco Concert Series II player in the the car. It still eats tapes just like it did 30+ years ago.

Instead of gauges, I got rid of the factory computer system and installed a stand alone computer system. All my gauges are on a computer screen. Back in post #414 where my car is torn apart you can see a little 'box' by the steering wheel. That little box has a 6 inch LCD Touch Screen so I can monitor my motor in real time. I can watch and data log up to 14 parameters that I chose such as Intake Air Temp, Manifold Air Pressure, Knock, Air Fuel Ratio, Coolant Temp, Volts, Spark, Throttle Position Sensor, RPM, etc, you know, the usual stuff people watch when they are driving their car! Here is a picture from the company ad. I have mine set up a bit differently but you get the idea. I use the former windshield washer fluid jug for the Methanol. The washer fluid is hidden in the wheel well in a quart container. Under this screen is the Methanol Boost Controller. Got to keep an eye on that or the motor go BOOM! Generally if I am going to drive the car a bit hard I pressure test the Methanol system to 250psi. If it holds that, there are no leaks in the system. The Methanol is programmed to ramp in when I hit 6lbs. of boost. There is a button on the controller, if pressed while the car is idling, the car should start to stall from too much fuel. Now I am good to go. All this nonsense is the short story of everything to keep the car from blowing up. Anyone want to buy a race car?
301417_web.jpg

I also keep a laptop in the car and log most everything. I certainly log every trip down the track and fine tune things between each run. I may even log a trip to the grocery store, the street tune needs to be spot-on too!
Not my pic here but this is what the screen looks like. I log more things and my lines are much smoother. The color of the things you are logging at the bottom of the screen should match the lines above. You can go above and then tune whichever one you want until you have it "perfect".("Perfect" is a state that reality does not allow. But you try.)

Paint5-13-0n8datalog.JPG

80% of tuning is done thru the VE Table(Volumetric Efficiency) Best tuning is achieved by someone else driving the car and doing what I ask them to do while I sit in the passenger seat fine tuning the VE Table.
VE Table
xfis-sportsman-efi-system-tunes-biting-bullitt26.jpg

The VE Table can also be viewed in 3D. It should also be rather smoothed out and no unusual big spikes in the table. This guy has done a pretty good job with his VE Table. If you have guessed that I can no longer take this car to the corner garage or a dealer(car), you are a pretty good guesser. There are times when I wonder if I should have done all this. Sometimes the 'need for speed and adrenaline' just gets the best of me. Like a junkie, I just can't help myself.
xfis-sportsman-efi-system-tunes-biting-bullitt25-640x480.jpg

Sun-Visor

Another car with a sun-visor. I did not take this picture because I am walking to the right. ;) @Mr. Brown, we have so many awesome cars here in beautiful Upstate New York that you can not swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting another awesome car!

opt_Sun visor 100_1192(1).jpeg

Longball

Last edited:
Hello @poly! ;)

Awesome looking bike! Not sure that I have seen one before. E-bike? Looks like a battery pack on the frame? And the $64,000 question. Why is the rear tire smaller than the front one? I ride my bicycle as much as I can. It is a Trek 6000. No one ever gives it a second look or a complient. Sometimes people do give the driver a 'number 1' finger though!

The interior has not yet been done on my car. That's the short story. A rear seat can no longer fit back there and you have to be short and skinny to fit because of the racing cage. Just some sound deadening material there now. Like you, car in storage so no pictures.

I did install a new dashboard with VDO gauges and I pretty much only watch the Oil Pressure and Boost gauge on that. Most people will install gauges everywhere, along the A pillar, where the cassette player used to be, where the ashtray was, etc. BTW, I still have the original AC Delco Concert Series II player in the the car. It still eats tapes just like it did 30+ years ago.

Instead of gauges, I got rid of the factory computer system and installed a stand alone computer system. All my gauges are on a computer screen. Back in post #414 where my car is torn apart you can see a little 'box' by the steering wheel. That little box has a 6 inch LCD Touch Screen so I can monitor my motor in real time. I can watch and data log up to 14 parameters that I chose such as Intake Air Temp, Manifold Air Pressure, Knock, Air Fuel Ratio, Coolant Temp, Volts, Spark, Throttle Position Sensor, RPM, etc, you know, the usual stuff people watch when they are driving their car! Here is a picture from the company ad. I have mine set up a bit differently but you get the idea. I use the former windshield washer fluid jug for the Methanol. The washer fluid is hidden in the wheel well in a quart container. Under this screen is the Methanol Boost Controller. Got to keep an eye on that or the motor go BOOM! Generally if I am going to drive the car a bit hard I pressure test the Methanol system to 250psi. If it holds that, there are no leaks in the system. The Methanol is programmed to ramp in when I hit 6lbs. of boost. There is a button on the controller, if pressed while the car is idling, the car should start to stall from too much fuel. Now I am good to go. All this nonsense is the short story of everything to keep the car from blowing up. Anyone want to buy a race car?
View attachment 70773

I also keep a laptop in the car and log most everything. I certainly log every trip down the track and fine tune things between each run. I may even log a trip to the grocery store, the street tune needs to be spot-on too!
Not my pic here but this is what the screen looks like. I log more things and my lines are much smoother. The color of the things you are logging at the bottom of the screen should match the lines above. You can go above and then tune whichever one you want until you have it "perfect".("Perfect" is a state that reality does not allow. But you try.)

View attachment 70774

80% of tuning is done thru the VE Table(Volumetric Efficiency) Best tuning is achieved by someone else driving the car and doing what I ask them to do while I sit in the passenger seat fine tuning the VE Table.
VE Table
View attachment 70777

The VE Table can also be viewed in 3D. It should also be rather smoothed out and no unusual big spikes in the table. This guy has done a pretty good job with his VE Table. If you have guessed that I can no longer take this car to the corner garage or a dealer(car), you are a pretty good guesser. There are times when I wonder if I should have done all this. Sometimes the 'need for speed and adrenaline' just gets the best of me. Like a junkie, I just can't help myself.
View attachment 70778

Sun-Visor

Another car with a sun-visor. I did not take this picture because I am walking to the right. ;) @Mr. Brown, we have so many awesome cars here in beautiful Upstate New York that you can not swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting another awesome car!

View attachment 70790

Longball

Awesome cars adds another point to the list :love:

It looks like there is is no way arround Upstate New York ;)

Talking about awesome cars

My absolute dream car is the Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 from 1976 :love:
full

For me this is the one and only German muscle car ;)

I still ride around on an original cro-mo Ibis Mojo made by Scot Nichol

I think that must be a pretty special bike. Add real head badges to the list of things missing from bikes now. Don't see to many screw ons but it's a great touch. Is that pre-suspension?

That name reminded me of this picture from Charlie Kelly's Fat Tire Flyer:

mtb-ogs.jpg

opposite page had these awesome early mountain bikes:

early-mtb.jpg

E-bike? Looks like a battery pack on the frame? And the $64,000 question. Why is the rear tire smaller than the front one?

Yep. It took a bit of convincing but I'm into now (of course I still have normal bikes but you can't haul bales of peat with'em). There are two kinds of e-bike; hub-drive and mid-drive. Hub drive to me is more like a scooter/moped feeling than bike; the disconnect from your input and the e-power is distinctly un-bike-like. Mid-drive replaces the crankset/bottom bracket so the power sources are integrated. It's still feels bikey but with greater reward for your effort. Unlike hub-drive you actually have to pedal to get any assist and once you get over 20mph you can't get any assist due to e-bike laws in the EU where they're popular enough to need regulations. Maybe @Mr. Brown knows more. I hear they're wildly popular in Germany. Also like your Grand National it has different tunings so in eco you get a little assist but great mileage, in turbo you're the Cannibal incarnate.

The little wheel is for stability and the added "trunk space". To keep the load low the wheel would come up in the middle of the rear platform and if you raise the platform putting big loads up high causes handling to get sketchy (ever overload the rear rack on a road bike?). Little wheels with shorter spokes also build up stronger so handle the abuse of heavy loads better. Hauling kids on the platform is popular so being low might help with getting them on/off. Really limits the options for good quality tires though since most 20" are kids or BMX oriented.

I ride my bicycle as much as I can. It is a Trek 6000

Looks like you are surrounded by the best of kind of scenery for cycling.

Instead of gauges, I got rid of the factory computer system and installed a stand alone computer system. All my gauges are on a computer screen...I may even log a trip to the grocery store, the street tune needs to be spot-on too!

Should've taken the thumbdrive as a hint the gauges might be virtual. I forgot to ask about that. With street tune do you get back to or better than stock miles/gallon? The track limits you on fast side but what is the limit if you tuned for fuel efficiency?

I still have the original AC Delco Concert Series II player in the the car. It still eats tapes just like it did 30+ years ago.

Glad to hear it.

Oh look. Digging around in some old files turned up a peak into that back seat. Sorry about the black mats I have in there while cleaning.

DSCN1172_1024.jpg

and some ornamental use only gauges (well mph is close enough):

DSCN1174_1024.jpg

You can kind of see the new gauges below the radio.

@poly said: "Add real head badges to the list of things missing from bikes now."

My Trek head badge
opt_P1070670.jpeg

I found a place that will fabricate a custom head badge for you. https://www.headbadges.com/portfolio.html I am thinking of getting this one so I can fly my Freak Flag when riding high! :D
880481_orig.jpg

"The little wheel is for stability and the added "trunk space". To keep the load low the wheel would come up in the middle of the rear platform and if you raise the platform putting big loads up high causes handling to get sketchy (ever overload the rear rack on a road bike?). "

That makes a lot more sense than I do!

"I forgot to ask about that. With street tune do you get back to or better than stock miles/gallon? The track limits you on fast side but what is the limit if you tuned for fuel efficiency?"

You never get good mileage on a built-for-racing motor. It is set up right now that the street tune gets better MPG(22) than factory and much faster than factory. Race tune, maybe 8 MPG. It is more like "How many gallons per hour do you burn". My boat was like that.

"Digging around in some old files turned up a peak into that back seat."

Yup, that's the back seats. You could sleep on them and they were great for making out at Lover's Lane! I think the lack of back seats like that is part of the reason that certain segments of the population birth rates are declining.

1678726834959.png

and some ornamental use only gauges (well mph is close enough):

Ahh, the side vent windows. You could actually vent some air into the car if you did not have AC. They were awesome for breaking into cars too! Just pop them open with a screwdriver. I always wondered why they stopped making those. Crime or more cost effective with a single window? And those steering wheels, without air bags those steering wheels and steering column killed more people than any other part of the accident. I think I'd rather take my chance on being ejected or going thru the windshield.

I remember back in the mid-70's and many cars were still like that. Me and two friends who are member's of America's most famous OMC(Outlaw Motorcycle Club) were sitting at the base of a huge pine tree in a park we hung at. We were just swilling quarts of beer and smoking dope when this car comes flying up the street, jumps the curb, and comes straight at us going faster and faster. We just jumped out of the way when the car hit the tree we were at. The car's front end was crushed and the horn was blaring. I was terrified. We took a peek to see if we could help the guy as he was slumped over the steering wheel. As we got closer we could see that the steering wheel was embedded about 2 inches into his skull! No blood as the steering wheel sealed the wound. He died instantly. It turns out we knew the guy. I was frozen in place but the 2 OMC guys opened the door and started stripping the guy of his valuables!!! Took his rings, watch, wallet, money, anything they could find! Holy F--k! Then they ran because their motorcycles were parked at a friend's house around the corner. That jolted me back to reality and I ran too. I wasn't about to stay around and answer questions from the police! Anyway, 11 inches of snow expected tonight, no planting this week! :(

DSCN1174_1024.jpg

Longball

Last edited:
Revisiting @Mr. Brown picture of the Alsterstuhl in beautiful Hamburg, Germany. Hamburg is 'on' the Elbe River, but not like St. Louis is on the Mississippi River or Cincinnati is on the Ohio River. Just to the west of Hamburg the Elbe River splits into two main branches, the North Elbe and the South Elbe. The North Elbe sort of runs through the geographic center of the city while the South Elbe, well, runs through the southern part of the city. There are also many, many branch's and tributary's creating many islands and hundreds of canals in the city. If you look to the far right center of the picture there may be two branch's of the river, to the left by the red boat, another. To the left of the brick warehouse with the modern building another canal(?) and more to the left of that. To the southeast of the city the Elbe merges again into a single river.

The white boat in the left center of picture is called a paddlewheeler. You can see the red paddlewheel at the stern of the boat. Possibly a steam boat but most certainly a tourist boat for seeing the city. The brick building with the modern building on top was formerly a warehouse. It is now part of a cultural and residential complex called the Elbphilharmonie. Between the two buildings in an observation deck. The Elbphilharmonie has three concert venues. The Great Concert Hall can accommodate 2,100 visitors whereby the performers are in the center of the hall surrounded by the audience in the vineyard style arrangement. The acoustics were designed by Yasuhisa Toyota who installed about 10,000 individually microshaped drywall plates to disperse sound waves. It was supposed to be one of the best sounding concert halls ever built. However, it did not quite turn out that way.

Despite the efforts of acoustician Yasuhisa Toyota, complaints about poor acoustics in the hall have been aired. After the grand opening on 11 January 2017, many musicians as well as conductors called the acoustics in the hall "appaling" and "terrible". An initial review noted that "the hall is bright, very dry, direct, unforgiving. You can hear everything and immediately, for better and worse" and that "every sound—including coughs—can be heard most excellently in the hall. Every hawk, every sneeze and wheeze, every unwrapped lozenge shoots out, dry, like a daggered exclamation mark. On the other hand, in a 2019 performance of Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, audience members shouted, "can't hear you" at tenor Jonas Kaufmann,[27] who himself later complained, "This hall does not help..." Have you ever been to the Elbphilharmonie for music @Mr. Brown?
View attachment 70647

Aerial photo of Hamburg showing the many branch's of the Elbe Rive in Hamburg and reforming just southeast of the city. The Elbe River flows to the North Sea and the Port of Hamburg is Germany's largest seaport. Please feel free to add to or make any corrections Mr. Brown

View attachment 70648

Here in beautiful Upstate New York we have steam powered paddlewheel boats on Lake George. The Minne-Ha-Ha is a paddlewheeler. The Minne-Ha-Ha has summer cruises with dinner and bands playing during the cruise. I usually get to work a few cruises a year. Once a summer they have a day long music festival, noon to midnight called Rock The Dock. I get to work that too. The boats are moored to the dock for the day. You can go on the boats for air conditioning if it is hot, or eat dinner, or just watch the show. The music is piped into each boat so it sounds just as good inside as outside.
Lake George is a tourist town with many French-Canadians coming down to work or just visit. Oh, those French women :) Ooh-La-La :love: Much debauchery :love:🥰😘🥳🤩
View attachment 70649

Longball

Kudos!

I had to google most of the facts you wrote about Hamburg :ROFLMAO: Made me feel like I don't know shit about my hometown :ROFLMAO:
But I have three more facts for you ;)
  1. The total length of the Elbe in the city border of Hamburg is 42,9 kilometre.
  2. The planned costs for the Elbphilharmonie were 90 million Euros. At the end they paid over 950 million Euros.
  3. Until the year 2001 our currency was the German Mark and we had a 5 Mark coin. In Hamburg they called this coin 'Heiermann' because in the 1950s at the Reeperbahn you could have fun with a hooker for 5 Mark.
Keep the facts coming
MB

Edit: I forgot to mention that we have more bridges in Hamburg than Venice or Amsterdam ;)

@Mr. Brown said: "Kudos!..........3) Until the year 2001 our currency was the German Mark and we had a 5 Mark coin. In Hamburg they called this coin 'Heiermann' because in the 1950s at the Reeperbahn you could have fun with a hooker for 5 Mark.

Thank you, Mr. Brown! :) I like fact #3 the best. I am wondering...if in the 1950's you could have fun with a hooker for 5 Mark, how much would it cost in today's Euro's for a night of debauchery? Asking for a friend.

Perhaps you know my friend, Jessica Gadani? She lives over in Berlin. Her father built my deck which I am sure that you have seen a few times. Jessica grew up near me and certainly did not speak a word of German. She went to Germany, married a German and now she makes a living singing in German! Here is a short video of her singing. In the background is a 'cartoon' I believe is a political message about Russia and homosexuality. I think they added that afterwards. Jessica was upset that she wasn not told about this and it caused quite the 'kerfuffle'!

What does the slang word kerfuffle mean?
a disturbance or commotion
ker·fuf·fle kər-ˈfə-fəl. plural kerfuffles. informal. Synonyms of kerfuffle. : a disturbance or commotion typically caused by a dispute or conflict.Mar 6, 2023

Anyway, do you know Jessica? Maybe you will see her at the Elbphilharmonie?

Longball

Last edited:
War, what is it good for?

0eb5b289-2c1c-4a87-892a-6ff4586ecb27_1000x533.jpg

DS-177
"Verdun die Weltblutpumpe"
1916, Blackened Cast Iron, 69.6mm, 62.9g., Frankenhuis 1502

Obverse: Death, near the place where a sword, of which only the hilt is visible, is sticking in the ground, pumping up blood. Legend, "Verdun die Weltblutpumpe" (Verdun the World's blood pump),

Reverse: Within a border of running blood, inscribed, "Sibir — Frankr. — Dahom. — Canad. Cap. — Indi — Russl. — Austrl. — Tonkg. — Algr. —Fidji — Engl." In shield, "Dem General Petain and seinen HilfsvOlker aus alien Welt 1916" (To General Petain and his auxiliary troops from all parts of the world). Across the shield, dripping blood.

The most macabre and most sought after of all the Eberbach 'Dance of Death' medals

Provenance: Ex KarlGoetz.com Collection

Grade: Gussfrisch (As Cast) Scarce

L
View attachment 71059

Our donkey-dick colleague at work aka "the bottling fairy" made this picture about a year ago but only shared it last week.. After distilling anise based spirits we have to clean/steam the whole system for about an hour since brandy, gin, rum or boukha lovers don't want a hint of anise in their drinks :)
Love the still @High-mish! Is it Portuguese? I have a whiskey still that looks very similar just smaller from Portugal.

View attachment 71059

Our donkey-dick colleague at work aka "the bottling fairy" made this picture about a year ago but only shared it last week.. After distilling anise based spirits we have to clean/steam the whole system for about an hour since brandy, gin, rum or boukha lovers don't want a hint of anise in their drinks :)

Do you offer holiday jobs at your distillery?

I would definetely volunteer ;)

And I like the smell of anise in the morning (y)

Right on!! It's a copper pot still made in Portugal! :)
How big is yours?

This one is 500l and we use it for everything except whisky. For our whiskies we now have 3 x 1000l stills in production (2 for stripping, 1 for spirit).
Wow! Mine’s a tiddler! Only 30ltrs for home use. I’d love a big beast though. I make a little bit of whiskey/bourbon, rum and fruit brandy mostly, with whatever fruit is around. It’s a neat little hobby. Yours doesn’t look like so much of a hobby! I’ll find a photo of my little toy.

Back