NEW RULES- Open photo assignment- Share your favorite random pics

Deach69 said: "Lets try something new/ different. How it works: You take a great photo, share it here at MNS."

Does this qualify? While not a great photo, it sure has been one hell of a conversation starter when showing photo's. The great photo's get the standard, 'Ooh', 'Ahh', 'Nice', 'Pretty picture', this one gets the 'Mother of All Photographic Compliments';
"WTF?!"

Webp.net-compress-image(36).jpg

Longball

Deach69 said: "Lets try something new/ different. How it works: You take a great photo, share it here at MNS."

Does this qualify? While not a great photo, it sure has been one hell of a conversation starter when showing photo's. The great photo's get the standard, 'Ooh', 'Ahh', 'Nice', 'Pretty picture', this one gets the 'Mother of All Photographic Compliments';
"WTF?!"

View attachment 59032

Longball
I love it, we need more WTF photos. My guess, what's leftover from a natcho meal at the local pub?

@quinxstar , great photo, they look like trouble makers 😁

Good guess, deach69! I had a brand new camera in one hand, the manual in the other hand. Needed to take my first picture to see if camera worked. The rest as they say, is a mystery.
Oddly enough, still a conversation starter 13 years later. Kinda disappointing actually. I guess the point of a picture is to evoke a feeling, "WTF" certainly does that ha ha

Great idea for a thread, thanks for starting it. I like the idea it should be your own picture. Funny picture by @quinxstar also! :)

Longball

Great idea for a thread, thanks for starting it. I like the idea it should be your own picture. Funny picture by @quinxstar also! :)

Longball
Thanks bud! Everyone has some sort of photo they can share, and I really like the bizarre idea. Nice to have a few neutral threads in here. But conspiracy threads are obviously a bad idea 😬

@Fish , looks like a ton of fun for that guy, that's the story? I hope you're not married

Yep I am and she was not as amused as I was especially as she cleaned up. This is Scooby my tamed wild kitten, he’s an interesting character to say the least.

2nd picture - trying to learn from the first picture. Covered up the ugly, highly reflective table with something more with a matte finish so not as much glare reflecting. Light is still wrong. Room light not strong enough, no other lights to use, and pictures
too close to use flash. End goal of taking pictures of smaller objects was to learn to take pictures of buds. :) Got my work cut out for me! Camera picks up a lot of dust and lint that I didn't notice with my eye. Something to keep in mind - camera sees things differently. Still - lots of conversations starting with "WTF!"

Fly and Frog.jpg

Longball

Well, after taking pictures of bottle caps and frogs, I figured I'd learned enuff to take pictures of buds. I learned the table was too reflective and needed a less reflective background. I also learned the light in room was not bright enough. For my first bud shot I would wait until the sun swung around to that window, that would be bright enough! Much was to be learned from that too. Turns out the sun was so bright that the bud is 'overexposed' and not much detail can be seen. Also by the time the sun got to that window it was lower in the sky and created long shadows. Not good either. I think the most important thing that I learned from the picture is that you can be so 'focused' on getting the center of the picture so perfect that you don't notice what is being picked up around the edges of the picture. For example, a film cannister at the edge of the picture or even, God forbid, someone's freakin' feet in the picture!!! (hint,hint) I learned to be more conscious of what will be in the picture and also how to crop pictures. I guess you have to take some lousy pictures to learn how to take good pictures!
Afgooey.jpg

There is a saying around here - "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good". That's kind of how I take my pictures. With a poor camera and lack of knowledge I try to make that work. I have been taking bud shots outdoors on sunny days in the area of the 'solar noon'. This is not clock noon but when the sun is the highest in the sky that day. It gives me the perfect light I need and minimizes shadows. To maximize my luck, I take 2-3 dozen photos of the bud. Changing angles, moving the bud around, and hoping like hell that I get a lucky shot. Usually I do, but, I think having a better camera and better skills is a much better way. Also taking pictures outdoors in the winter in freezing cold and 'solar noon' the sun is not that high is no fun at all. I recently bought a 18" ring light but so far not much luck with it. The colors are way off compared to sunlight.

A 'lucky shot' at 'solar noon":
Webp.net-compress-image(31).jpg

Longball

Last edited:
Cool picture, @Islandgrower! I tried to take a somewhat similar picture with fern plants but what I saw and what the camera saw was 2 different things. I liked my view better. like deach69 says - just keep shooting. I like your trichomes pictures too. They make me think of a cross between a frozen planet and liquid light show from the San Francisco 60's music scene - Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane,etc. I am also smoking some good dope so pictures are looking really cool ha ha

Fern plants as the camera saw it. I thought it looked cooler in real life but maybe it was just the dope? :)
Ferns.jpg

Longball

Back