New grow room some advice needed.......please!

Smokeydraw

Hi everyone,

Am a noobie here so please be gentle. Well finally bit the bullet and got me stock of equipment which comprises:

600 watt (sunmaster dual spectrum)light with Isis reflector and relevant ballast and 1-way contactor.
NFT GT 205 flood and drain
Carbon filter a 4inch exhaust fan
Hesi nutrients
Ph and ec meter
Clip on fan 6inch
Etc

The grow room is a small wardrobe that I am a little unsure what the best approach will be and this is where I need the advice:
Wardrobe is height 1.6m x width 1.2m x depth 0.55m.

I am not able to drill holes in the current structure and also not able to remove the carpet, so first question:
Would you recommend making a grow room within the wardrobe, I was thinking about either using pond liner to make a dark room and cover it with diamond sheeting (already purchased) or
Using some white faced hardboard with some struts for support/strength this would allow me to make a small partition so reducing width to say 1 meter which allow me somewhere to exhaust.

Now the floor. I can't remove the carpet so do I just line it with pond liner and then put diamond sheet ontop (if there is enough I have 5mx1.25m).
OrU
Do I build a small floor to raise everything up a few inches (worried my space is already limited) but if I do raise I could make some inflow holes for air circulation. This is my main concern at the moment.

Again this is where I am getting somewhat confused, am trying to over-complicate the design or am I kind of screwed because I cannot modify the exhisting structure!!

From everything I have read a grow room can almost fit anywhere if you plan it right..............

Once again please help, my budget is almost gone and want to make sure this is not some 2 bit effort that ends up falling flat on its face!!!!!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post, and for any advice you can pass on!

I'm gonna give you my thoughts and opinions, and hopefully some of the very knowledable people around here will chime in as well.

Don't mean to sound mean or anything, but you're putting the cart before the horse by buying your equipment before doing your research.

Once again please help, my budget is almost gone and want to make sure this is not some 2 bit effort that ends up falling flat on its face!!!!!

A part of growing is learning from your mistakes, and most first time growers fall flat on their faces. It's part of the learning curve.

Your space is severely limited. Both in dimension and in so far as you can't modify it. I would suggest looking into a grow tent or building a custom cupboard from 2x2 and osb.

55 cm depth is too narrow for a 600w. 1,20x1,20 would be perfect. A 400w would fit your space better and keep your temps lower. To cool a 600w in your space you're gonna need some serious extraction and a good intake. What is the cfm rating of your 4inch fan? And where are you planning to exhaust to? You're gonna need 2x4inch passive intake vents - where are you gonna put them?

As for the floor - pond liner is cheap insurance, and with your limited head room I wouldn't raise the floor.

So my advice would be to either switch to a 400w if you're gonna use the cupboard or get a 1,20x1,20 tent if you're gonna keep the 600w.

The good news is that you have taken the first steps on a distinguished road. If you learn from your mistakes, and keep on keeping on, you'll grow some amazing bud.

As grønn siad. You have 1.36m3 of growspace and you will really need to keep on top of the temps in a space that small. I struggle to keep temps down with a 250w hps in an enclosure 0.42m3 with a 4 inch (100mm) fan rated at 250m3/h. Don't forget that the rating of the suction of the fan drops considerably with a carbon filter on. Plastic ducting with few bends is preferable to flexible ducting. Also take in account the temperature of the air around the cabinet... this is what the cabinet draws in. I have mine venting out of an air brick and drawing an ambient temperature from the room it is in of around 18 deg c, and that is with the window open and in the winter. Check out my growdrobe in my signature to see what can be achieved with a small space.

peas n luv

AII

Would that be considered a "micro grow"?

i wouldnt go above 400W personally, in a cooltube for sure.

and definitely the air exchange in such a small space will have to be rapid, and substantial. Fans can only do so much. The amount of space concerns me. The last grow i did i grew in the smallest space i ever had, roughly around your dimensions, maybe a tad bigger, and i had issue after issue.

Hello...

Ikea has some great closets that you can easily modify to hold your newly acquired 600 watter. Be mindful that you will have to cut intake/exit vent holes in the unit. Also thrift stores and classified listings make finding this closet or wardrobe cheap and effective. You will need to line the closet with some type of material i.e panda plastic with white side being the reflective side used.

You dont mention carbon filter. Medical or not, you should be concerned about smell. Also, please be mindful if you have young children in your home of safety, even for small amounts of herb.

If you do not have the money right now. I would wait till you do. No rush, as I know you are eager but better have a few bucks on hand when you get the system going. I am sure you will need to buy some more odds and ends while you start cycling.

This may seem difficult or hard to figure out, but keep it simple. Air in and air out. Heat and electrical are not to difficult on running off a few circuits, but good idea to plug the ligh in, a few fans and maybe a hair dryer on the circuit and see if it trips.

Be mindful of cleaning out your flood and drain reservoir and the distance in which water will have to be carried to your grow space. I personally like buckets, because it makes res changing fairly easy to carry to your bath tube. I would run two 5 gallon buckets under the 600 watter in a wardrobe or armore, using dwc system. Which would be as simple as placing an aquarium air stone in each5 gal bucket. Drilling 2 to 4 inch hole in lid for mesh bucket. The rest is pretty much another topic.

You may want to buy a big enough space so that you can keep some bonsi mothers and cuttings i.e (24 area/section) that will allow you to properly approach your new hobby. You need three areas to be a successful and constant gardener, imhe. Seedling/Clone area. Mother area and Bloom area.

Lastly my brother. Please do not take cutting from anyone. Start from seed, and you should never, ever have an issue with mites.

Jorge Cervents has a great book called 5 easy gardens. It is a classic, and something I still refer to before I create new space.

Good luck and be safe,

CM

Hey chana,

I was at ikea with the wife this weekend, and saw a perfect set up. had a roll down door, and the exhaust intake holes were strategically place where they needed to be!

almost had the wifes blessing! damn! hahahaha.

Hey chana,

I was at ikea with the wife this weekend, and saw a perfect set up. had a roll down door, and the exhaust intake holes were strategically place where they needed to be!

almost had the wifes blessing! damn! hahahaha.

Bahahaha, I hate Ikea for that. That place in itself will confuse the most stoned of us... I got an easy fix for this... just renovate your kitchen for the missus and voila... new grow cabines for you! lolololhahahaha. Got to love the wives of cannabis growers. I can only imagine if we got them all togeather what would happen....

I got these wto closest from them, they are always calling in the back of my head to convert. Maybe little seedling and breeding chambers I reckon.

@ Smokeydraw, sorry mate you did specify your charcol filter. My bad!

Respect,

CM

Thank you all for the words of wisdom I had wondered about the 600 being to much for the space but was assured by another gardener that is the way to go. I know a 1.2m2 set up would be preferable but currently don't have the room and have to try and work with what we have got.

I have found some other guys that have made their own type of tents so think I had a eureka moment last night and have some idea to try and work through today.

I totally get the cart before the horse but it was one of those situations that if the equipment was not purchased this little project would be waiting even longer to get off the ground, at least I have something I can use and tweak as one learns along the way.

From what I have read the consensus seems to be how to make sure I get good airflow and also keeping heat maintained at a suitable level.

My idea is to make a sort of home made tent using some poles and tarp/pond liner with reflective sheet on the inside. I have seen various ideas using others sites so will keep reviewing and hopefully get something constructed this week!

Thanks again and if anyone has any experience making a small closet work for them I would love to hear how you did it.

Something I have read discusses sealed rooms but I don't really understand these and they seem to be far more popular in America than anywhere else??? Of course I get a 600w lamp will not be good in a sealed room.

With regards to high temps I am fairly confident that as this room which houses the wardrobe is not on the central heating system the ambient temp is lower than normal.

I am really hoping this is not a complete lost cause and that we can manufactor something that will work.

Cheers
SD

Ok I appreciate that the following link is far bigger space than I have but some ideas I could perhaps plagiarize!!!

Make your own Grow Tent Cheap!! - THCfarmer

Also found this and have to say this is one of the finest looking veg cabinet I have seen....... Go to page 20 if you don't have time.

Cab build,and grow show 101 - Page 26 - THCfarmer

And similar idea but a cheaper option for a veg cab

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=206057

But am sure you have all seen these before and many others like it.

Thanks

some PVC piping, pond liner, and some mylar will build you a tent for sure!

keep us updated bro. im worried about the 600 so close to the pond liner though. heat extraction and air flow is KEY!

the only reason that folks restrict themselves to cabinets is because of the idea of hiding in plain site. every unit i have seen looked tricky for a beginning grower let alone building the thing so it works efficiently. but it sounds like you are breaking out of that with talk of a tent? bravo. even a closet will work great if you're able to designate one for the job and you have the necessary equipment to get growing right now. peace-biteme

Building a small growtent from 2x2 and panda plastic is easy and a good option when on a budget.
I would use osb particle board myself. As it's much more durable and ads structural strength. Loads of reasons particle board is a much better construction material than panda plastic :D
But it's heavy, bulky to transport and carry to grow, and takes longer to tear down. A roll of panda is easy to carry and tear down. Your choice

Your 1.60x1.20x0.55 wardrobe will be an oven with a 600w inside it.
So if you have the possibility to make a custom box I say go for it :)

Something I have read discusses sealed rooms but I don't really understand these and they seem to be far more popular in America than anywhere else??? Of course I get a 600w lamp will not be good in a sealed room.

Sealed rooms are way up there in complexity and cost, and really only necessary when your local climate is hot. Sealed rooms employ air-conditioning, c02 injection and de-humidifiers to control the environment and don't need ventilation.

With regards to high temps I am fairly confident that as this room which houses the wardrobe is not on the central heating system the ambient temp is lower than normal.
Don't underestimate the heat generated by a 600w in an enclosed space. You'll need to make sure your ventilation is set up in the most efficient way possible. Are you able to extract air outside?

I am really hoping this is not a complete lost cause and that we can manufactor something that will work.
In no way is this a lost cause. It's just a matter of design. You've already got the attention of several knowledgable growers - the more info you provide the more they'll be able to help you.

Don't go getting the horse cart thingy wrong again ;) ask advice before construction and we might be able to save you some troubles.

Ahhh - just did something and lost all the previous txt that I just wrote! Oh-hum!!

Anyway first of all thank you to all of you for your tips and share of your knowledge.

I have decided for the moment as first attempt to go with a basic setup of pond liner/panda plastic - this will be no where near the light so am quite happy with that. Construction begins tomorrow so watch this space.

The consensus from ur posts seem to be about the heat from the 600 light, would you think I should downgrade to a 400 watt and if I did would that still fit the reflector hood and ballast? Probably question for the shop than anything!! I am happy to use a cfl in the vegg room but think an HID is better for flowering - I know there be plenty of cfl users who will shoot me so I really am open to suggestions.........

Now a few days have passed since my last post and obviously had yet more time to research etc etc.

Veg/clone station/box/room whatever you use or call it. *I was thinking of doing some tricky pc/ set of drawers idea but actually think I will just knock up a small box.

2x2x2 (approx can be reduced but shouldn't think it would need to be any bigger but that is where u guys come in)
125 watt blue cfl bulb
Cover inside with Mylar
Attach light to top so it can be suspended at various height.
Germinate seeds, in small rock wool cube in water.
Once *a couple of inches high transfer to large to large rock wool cubes getting ready for transfer to nft system.

Now question time:
What system do I need in the veg box, do I need a smaller version of my nft system?
Can I just use plastic/foam cups?
Do I have to purchase a propergation system or can I be a cheap arse?
Will a 125 watt be ok for 3/4 plants.

All this is, is to get the plant to a stage whereby it has good root structure in the large rock wool so I can transfer it or am I missing something here and as soon as the small rock wool cube has roots I can transfer them??

The reading I have done on nfts clearly states the key to success is a good root structure before adding plant ( and obviously correct nutrient levels).

If anyone is out there reading this who can help it would be really apprieciated as my intention as I have said is to do some shopping and get this damn show on the road!!!!

The primary goal is to self cultivate but have 3/4 babies on the go at all times. I've done some reading on the scrog technique and think this could help me given my ltd space but that are ideas to play with later and not now!!!

Thanks once again
SD

Last edited:
Hey Man

peep my profile photos. ;)

600w may be too much in that small a space. i use only 4. forced extraction through a rhino with the rvk mounted in the attic. no forced intake, (shame) but she's cool enough and has good ventilation.

good luck buddy.

steve.

added*

why use a seperate veg box? I dont the logic behind it.

Last edited:
The seperate veg box was only so I could constantly have some babies germinating and vegging before I moved them across to flower but actually think I am wasting my time here!

Although I do now have a 125 watt cfl light which I think but be preferable to the 600 Hid I have. I am also concerned about this 600 but may have a mate check it out who has more experience than me!!

If I get ride of the 600 do you think I should opt for 2 250 cfls or would a 400 hid be better??

The problem I have got myself into now is reading toooo much and getting somewhat confused: I know we gardeners need to make sure everything is set but if I don't get something moving soon I may not at all..........

Like I said I have a blue 125w cfl that I am going to start with, if I need to downgrade the main light I will do that this w/e.

Also read some disturbing things on the nft system I purchased today so if anyone out there has success using an nft gt 205 system please let me know any tricks.

Fingers crossed this goes to plan!?!?!?! Well and of course educated decision making!!

If I get ride of the 600 do you think I should opt for 2 250 cfls or would a 400 hid be better??

Greetings Smokeydraw,

The best upgrade I have had in my garden was my 4 foot, 8 bulb T5. I use it for clones and veg. (and mothers too)

Works extremely well.

Best Regards

sXi

Spoons for music?

The seperate veg box was only so I could constantly have some babies germinating and vegging before I moved them across to flower but actually think I am wasting my time here!

Although I do now have a 125 watt cfl light which I think but be preferable to the 600 Hid I have. I am also concerned about this 600 but may have a mate check it out who has more experience than me!!

The problem I have got myself into now is reading toooo much and getting somewhat confused: I know we gardeners need to make sure everything is set but if I don't get something moving soon I may not at all..........

Like I said I have a blue 125w cfl that I am going to start with, if I need to downgrade the main light I will do that this w/e.

Also read some disturbing things on the nft system I purchased today so if anyone out there has success using an nft gt 205 system please let me know any tricks.

Fingers crossed this goes to plan!?!?!?! Well and of course educated decision making!!

Please do not take this the wrong way young grower...

You are going in circles and creating more headaches with all the new ideas from your initial post.

Pick one method and go with it. Run it the best you can and hope you purchased or make what you need to flower good tasting medicine.

When you start doing the actually work yourself things will become clear as time goes by. Dont wait for anyone to tell you what to do. Wait for people to reconfirm things you have discovered or learned along the way.

Utilize what you have, and remember we all have spoons...

How do you use your spoon?

CM

Last edited:
Good words there from Chana.

u gotta learn from doing. Reading only goes so long.

I would advice you to start young plants out with the 125w cfl. Then when they get stronger you can try out the 600w.
If you can't control temps you'll have to switch to a 400w (which is way better for flowering than 2x250w cfl). just be mindful of this possibility down the road.

Your nft system will work. I even took the time to google it. gt205 nft
The reservoir is quite small at 20l. I'd imagine the main trick is keeping the reservoir full to avoid large swings in ph and ec.

Having a separate veg area increases yield substantially by allowing you to use your flowering area for flowering only, and harvest every two month instead of every 3 months or more. If you go for the 2foot x 2foot make it 3 foot tall you'll appreciate the extra headroom.
You don't need any system in your veg box if using rockwool. Just put the rockwool in a tray and transfer the small cubes to the large when roots break through.
A 125w cfl will do nicely for that space and 3-4 plants.
Remember plants need fresh air to grow so some kind of ventilation will be needed.

But this is all very general advice. It all comes down to if you're going to be growing in that cupboard or if you're going to be building your own space.
If the latter then the size of this area is key to what will work and not.

But yeah stop running after your own tail second guessing yourself. Do the work and don't make the same mistake twice. :)

Back