LED tutorial forum

I do love growing in Air Pots and recommend them to anyone who will listen. However, I had a bad accident a year and a half ago and only have the use of one arm. A one useful arm grower. So I am switching to buckets with handles out of necessity, not choice. I can no longer grow or carry giant plants in Air Pots with one arm.

Here is a picture of the roots of a plants grown in a Air Pot.

View attachment 82009

Here is a picture of roots from a 5 gal pail. I think the roots are healthy. I took the pic a fews days later. May explain the browning. I only had 5 holes in the bottom. There will be more in this year's crop. Just a little bit of circling compared to the years I had less holes in the bucket.

View attachment 82010

I did grow some pretty big plants in 5 gal Air Pots but I can't carry them with one useful arm. So pail and smaller plants. :( 2023 was my first year of trying to grow small plants. It's pretty hard!

View attachment 82012

Longball

Hey Longball, sorry to hear about your arm, but thanks for explaining. I hope someday your arm returns to normal use, if not better. It makes total sense to adjust your grow to accommodate your physical limitation(s).

I love that air-pot root-ball, except for the tiny bit of root-circling around that protruding center on the bottom. That's a design flaw in the Ultra Oxy pot base. The Superoots pot doesn't produce that bottom center knob, or any root circling.

The pail root-ball looks healthy but root-bound, which will limit the final yield. Healthy unbound roots will produce better yields, in general. The air-pot design tricks the plant into thinking it's growing in a bigger pot than it really is, because no root binding ever occurs. That will result in a better yield, conditionally speaking.

Cheers! - FF

Thanks, Freedom_Fighter! I always wondered about that tiny bit of root-circling around that protruding center on the bottom. It would be great if Air Pots had handles. Still thinking about that one. Always trying to build that better mouse trap! :) I think this year may have been the most potent pot that I've grown so I ain't gonna say Boo!

Longball

Thanks, Freedom_Fighter! I always wondered about that tiny bit of root-circling around that protruding center on the bottom. It would be great if Air Pots had handles. Still thinking about that one. Always trying to build that better mouse trap! :) I think this year may have been the most potent pot that I've grown so I ain't gonna say Boo!

Longball
Hi Longball,

I was giving this some more thought and maybe you could rig-up some handles on your air-pots. It would require installing some metal grommets on their sides, though, for a rope handle.

Grommet Guide

When you transplant into them, don't put the plant stalk directly in the center of the pot, but a few inches off-center. Leave enough space to place a 2"×4" piece of wood (with both ends of it contoured to match the diameter/curve of the wall) directly in the center of the pot; between the grommets on both sides of the pot, to support the walls when you pick it up. After moving the pot, remove the wood piece until the next time. Just a thought. Grommet kits on Amazon aren't that expensive.

Cheers! - FF

Hi FF! :)

Thank you for taking your time to think about this and post up an idea! Awesome of you! A friend of mine had an idea and ordered something online. I should have a solid answer in @2 weeks.

One thing I learned last season about using pots with handles - DON'T put the plant stalk directly in the center of the pot, but a few inches off-center. lol

Longball

Longball I love those monsters!!! I aspire to that level of decadence :)_~

I decided to stay away from supplemental lighting at this time, I can't measure it, I need to understands my own lights spectrum before any enhancements and to do any real world grow testing is not yet in my future. I just ordered the 3 gal 10x10" airpots from the same company/amazon where i got the 5 gal ones. 12x12" I think the 3 gal will be better for the 2x2 especially since the auto's are short.

just love the big ladies

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-21 211319.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 211319.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-02-21 184353.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 184353.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-02-21 184549.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 184549.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
Longball I love those monsters!!! I aspire to that level of decadence :)_~

I need to understands my own lights spectrum before any enhancements

Thank you, GrowViper! I love decadent, debaucherous ladies myself. Lately I have been using LEDS to start and finish them. Like you, I need to understand my own lights spectrum before any enhancements. The more I read about them, the more complicated it gets! And something new everyday. Makes my damn head spin! lol

Longball

I do love growing in Air Pots and recommend them to anyone who will listen. However, I had a bad accident a year and a half ago and only have the use of one arm. A one useful arm grower. So I am switching to buckets with handles out of necessity, not choice. I can no longer grow or carry giant plants in Air Pots with one arm.

Here is a picture of the roots of a plants grown in a Air Pot.

View attachment 82009

Here is a picture of roots from a 5 gal pail. I think the roots are healthy. I took the pic a fews days later. May explain the browning. I only had 5 holes in the bottom. There will be more in this year's crop. Just a little bit of circling compared to the years I had less holes in the bucket.

View attachment 82010

I did grow some pretty big plants in 5 gal Air Pots but I can't carry them with one useful arm. So pail and smaller plants. :( 2023 was my first year of trying to grow small plants. It's pretty hard!

View attachment 82012

Longball
Stairway to Heaven?

Longball
if it is about a handle, why not stick a bit of rope in there? instant handle.

if it is about a handle, why not stick a bit of rope in there? instant handle.
Air pots no handles yet, but the cheap pots I just got do come with some sudo handles.
There like shoe laces and the ends have a plastic tip that can be pulled to form a T .
So you pick your holes for the handles and insert then open the plastic T and so far they work great,

I just got the 3 gal sudo airpots and this weekend I’ll open them and put them side by side for pictures then post.
I also like the plastic screws to hold them together, especially the extra ones you can use to anchor your pipe cleaners for lst.

Still using these with one hand seems difficult. Props for your efforts!

Enjoy the day
/steve

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for that, GrowViper! :love: I did think of that but it might be a bit too flimsy for my application. Now that I am getting the hang of things I'll need a really solid handle as my 'small' plants will be about 6 feet tall and kinda heavy. This is pretty typical for one of my smaller plants. It will need a solid handle and my other hand/body to balance plants. After moving them, I stink to 'high' Heaven! :love: lol

A rather typical Longball plant. I will continue my switchover to 5 gal pails. I need a good solid handle, also, plants start getting top heavy. Pretty much everything in life is a compromise anyway...

nl-p1030482(1).jpg

LED tutorial? I'm still learning. Thanks to everyone posting up LED info! Various MNS genetics. :)

Wizzy Whizz 2023 P1100380.JPG

Longball

I see a lot of talk about LEDs and learning curves, problems, results etc and it seems to me that a LED tutorial forum may be a good idea. Some guys have had excellent results and others are still learning or haven’t had great success. I’m waiting to learn more. Not sure about all the YouTube guys as many get free lights to test and promote but there sure seems to be some excellent results. Plus, I’d like more real information on every aspect of using them. Growth, taste and potency are what we are all looking for. Advice and experience is always welcomed.
I also struggle with LED's like many other members.
So far Calmag and Silicium seems the path to get better results for me but I see that there are other members that don't need this at all.
I want to keep things simple as possible and with HPS and CMH this works fairly good.
With LED's I saw extreme purple stems, stopped vertical growth and "flat" main top on al my plants from seed with the same method as I was growing under HPS and CMH.

@charlesufarley: do you understand why this is happening to me and a lot of LED growers?
This is a proces I can't seem to understand.

Thank you.

So far Calmag and Silicium seems the path to get better results for me but I see that there are other members that don't need this at all.
I want to keep things simple as possible and with HPS and CMH this works fairly good.
With LED's I saw extreme purple stems, stopped vertical growth and "flat" main top on al my plants from seed with the same method as I was growing under HPS and CMH.

@charlesufarley: do you understand why this is happening to me and a lot of LED growers?

Thank you.
I’m loving leds just for the efficiency, when my tent is rocking everything it’s 3 100w light bulbs of power usage. I sometimes break out in laughter. So I like them, my ks2500 is awesome but I have over powered the plants before and now the talk of different experiences has me interested.
I’m also still thinking of uva but want to understand my particular light and diodes before my decision.

I also sup with cal mag and silica and it seems to help but I was blaming the medium Promix hp. So still need more experience and information.

Just my perspective so far..

@Swifty
Any shots of flat top?
My mind likes pictures

@LB love the bungee reinforcement of the airpots

/steve

It was live and learn that summer. Eventually switched to ratchet straps cuz bungee cords stretched to much. The moment I knew I needed a better plan;

View attachment 82684

View attachment 82685

Longball

That's another great reason why I tried to get 15-20-25 gal air-pots. They are harder to tip over in strong winds. I use to live in a place that was wicked windy.

Cheers! - FF

Thank you.

they operate at less heat and power usage but the catch is you must keep the environment within a specific heat/humidity range to get perfect plants (dark green panels/light veins, perfect tips, light green stems), plants that would have otherwise grown perfectly under other light sources outside of that environmental spec.

basically, you have to keep humidity and temps above certain thresholds at all times or else. which, in some parts of the world is all year but in others seasonal

if temps are a problem i might disconnect the hps and just use led this spring/summer but i know as soon as fall comes there is no way around the sudden appearance of 'led-itis'

btw, anybody want to buy an unopened bag of gypsum?

Back