Kalamata

Hi L33t,

your Kalamata and Larisa sounds very interesting as I've just been chatting with Gert at my place last night as he came down to visit and spoke quite a bit about strains from Greece and was all very interesting.

He showed me your beautiful Nev's Haze grow and fair play to you mate,gorgeous plants and quality pics,really nice to see and appreciate so thanks for that first off.

Well the Nev's pixie left me a nice healthy Nev's clone the other day and I'll look forward to flowering off her clone sisters for sure.

I smoked some Nev's Haze at the Hempfair with Gert,was very impressed.He mentioned at the time he hoped you were coming down but hey ho,loife eh?:p

Got Gert's Dispensation at 29 days flowering atm,nice and healthy I'm pleased to report.She's my posh totty in an otherwise regular joe grow,just some original cheese and Skunk #1.

I'll post a few pics of Gert's NL5H x .303 Dispensation if that's ok?

Again,that Larissa did look a bit spesh did'nt it?

And there's me thinking the Greeks are a bunch of boring conservatives,doh!
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 18
Some of the first Nev's x Kalam seeds to ripen (more on the way).
Hey, these Nev's seeds are really small, were the originals like this too?
Hi Gert :)

Hope you're well mate

Yes the mns original Neville's Haze were very small seeds , some of the smallest I 've seen I would say and they were quite dark in colour.

some info i had found on seed size while discussing with other members:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showpost.php?p=18127&postcount=21

As for the Disp x Kalamata , yes the fruity-lemony smell comes from the Kalamata side , its really good you are doing a side by side comparison grow with the mom (Disp) as you know her very well , both in terms of growth habits and high as well and you ll be able to tell how the dad has contributed to the cross.

BTW I was surprised to hear that the cross seems to be more compact and quite fast too. Its very nice that you ll test the male progeny with different crosses , hope one of them results in something special.
Thanks a lot for the updates and the comparison pics . Looking forward to seeing the other phenos too .


dr Rockstar said:
Hi L33t,

your Kalamata and Larisa sounds very interesting as I've just been chatting with Gert at my place last night as he came down to visit and spoke quite a bit about strains from Greece and was all very interesting.

He showed me your beautiful Nev's Haze grow and fair play to you mate,gorgeous plants and quality pics,really nice to see and appreciate so thanks for that first off.

Well the Nev's pixie left me a nice healthy Nev's clone the other day and I'll look forward to flowering off her clone sisters for sure.

I smoked some Nev's Haze at the Hempfair with Gert,was very impressed.He mentioned at the time he hoped you were coming down but hey ho,loife eh?:p

Hi dr Rockstar

Welcome to the mns forums mate :)

Thanks for the kind words ,
glad you liked the NH pics and the smoke. Gert is a good friend and a very talented grower , plus his always playing with many interesting genetics from around the globe , I really liked his Disp and looking forward to watch his other future projects . Good to hear you got a nevs cut yourself too , I know its a long flowering plant and bit picky but imo the end result makes it all worth it. When you start your nevs cuts grow post a pic or two here at the forums if you like , its always interesting to see how the same plant performs in different growing styles and gardens. As for the hemp fair , I was there , but I missed the second day and unfortunately i didn't get to see Gert .

Thank you for posting the Disp pics from your garden , your plants look very happy and healthy , btw may I ask how long did you veg those ? And few details about the setup/soil mix/feed would be appreciated. They look nicely developed for day 29 too considering their parentage , have you run them before?

Again,that Larissa did look a bit spesh did'nt it?

And there's me thinking the Greeks are a bunch of boring conservatives,doh!
Well I guess we can be bit conservative in certain aspects of life , esp as far as cannabis goes but we are lucky to have some really special landrace genetics , unfortunately not many people are familiar with them for various reasons. Too bad many new local growers don't give them a shot so they start to become extinct year by year , new growers tend to grow more n more indoors these days for security (quite harsh laws) and they prefer to go with early/short high-yielding varieties that perform well and grow easy under HIDs.

Personally atm I m trying to save some good local sativa genetics like the Larissa and Kalamata as after having sampled quite few varieties from around the globe incl hybrids I can say that some of the locals are up at the top amongst the best ones found worldwide as far as quality goes . I hope the laws become less harsh in the future and more people will start growing again outdoors under the strong sunlight as the climate is very good.
 
Hi again L33t and thanks for the welcome mate,

I've not run the Dispensation before and have flowered off the cut I was given after taking a clone for my mum room.I gave her maybe 3 weeks before going 12/12,maybe a bit more.She's in an 11 ltr pot in cheapo compost,Wickes I think but I've used it before and with Bio Bizz Grow and bloom.

I tend to give a bit of Grow along with the bloom in flowering as the Bloom sometimes can't give enough N and paling/leaf loss occurs.I feed every watering with suitably diluted feed.I've been giving 0.7-1.0ml Grow per ltr with 1-1.5ml Bloom.

So nothing fancy,certainly arent going to read you a 10 minute long list of Advanced Nutrients products!

There's a few pics of my original Cheese,gonna have a rummage with her genes in a lil' project of mine,should be fun.:)

Very interesting info re these Greek strains,do keep us all posted.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0121.JPG
    DSC_0121.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi L33t and all,

As well as the Kalamata male already mentioned, I'd been given another batch of 12 seeds, allegedly also of Kalamata provenance (even though this batch is striated, which l33t thinks is not a K trait). Of 6 planted, two never showed, two sprouted but then failed and 2 are OK.

One of them has a 'rosy' look to the growing tip (not very visible in the pic), just like another Kalamata cross I made with the male, so who knows...? I have a good feeling about it. In any case, if we have a female, there will be some good Greek landrace genetics available.

When I germ the remaining six seeds, I'll do it in paper towel, to give them the best possible chance.
 

Attachments

  • P1270002_s.jpg
    P1270002_s.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P2120021_s.jpg
    P2120021_s.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 9
  • P2120024_s.jpg
    P2120024_s.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
Well, the two allegedly K seedlings are growing, here's a couple of latest pics.
I expected them to be a bit more sativa-looking, but at this stage, who can tell?
 

Attachments

  • P2180020_s.jpg
    P2180020_s.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 9
  • P2180021_s.jpg
    P2180021_s.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 4
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

These seedlings that I am currently germing are 303xKalamata, using the male first mentioned in this thread. Hopefully the K will tame the 303 a bit, while both should add some fireworks to this particular equation!

I like the way the first leafset has that 'skew' second petiole, this was a trait of the dad's that was quite strong, seems to have passed on to most progeny.

This particular project is codenamed 'Cargo Cult' in honour of the Melanesian genetics...
 

Attachments

  • P2180023_s.jpg
    P2180023_s.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P2180024_s.jpg
    P2180024_s.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 7
Hiya Gert!

Hope you are doing well mate :)

Nice to see the updates on the new seed batches you're
germinating/growing

So I guess that rosy tint on the leaves may be a K trait .
The ones with the broader leaves do look more indica , generally greek landraces are pure sat looking but I have seen plants with broader leaves , I guess there may be landraces from certain areas with some landrace indica blood introduced at some point in the distant past thats why some seeds may give some plants with wide leaves. Heard about some pure indicas growing in some areas in some Southern parts. The Kalamata male though you posted in the previous pages like most local landraces looks more like a pure sat from SE Asia or something , at least structure wise . Eitherway time will tell.
Good to see you popped some from the 303xKal , if the K male used turns to be good one for breeding I have high expectations from the results of this cross having sampled the 303 before. may I ask how long does the pure 303 flower for , is it over 16weeks? The Kalamata usually can go up to 10-12 weeks or so, and generally produces sat looking long buds but not too airy/fluffy , they are kinda compact similar to some Africans , so I agree the K may hopefully tame the 303 a bit.
How are the Disp x Kal females going ? Hows the coverage at this point?
 
Last edited:
Hi l33t mate, hope you're well, toÎż!
Good to see you popped some from the 303xKal , if the K male used turns to be good one for breeding I have high expectations from the results of this cross having sampled the 303 before.
Yup, I have very high expectations, too, if the male turns out good! If it doesn't, well, what the hell, wasted 6 months fooling around, and the results will still be OK, if not magical. BTW, I imagine my first tasting (DispxK#1) will be about April, I really like the smell on it ATM, so fingers crossed.

may I ask how long does the pure 303 flower for , is it over 16weeks?
I can't say for sure, as I invariably bugger up the grow towards the end, messing with weird light schedules and what have you, but my 'uneducated':p estimate would be 14-16 weeks. Not that different to the Nev's, maybe a week or so less.

How are the Disp x Kal females going ? Hows the coverage at this point?
Yeah, they're looking good. The #1 pheno is very similar to the Disp, as I sad, the #2 a bit more sativaey, it's barely put out a smell yet. I also have one stretchy NRM x K this one looks quite sativaey, too, no smell yet. I'm not even sure it will be done by end of April, at which time the drobe needs to be empty. The plants are tiny, barely enough bud on each for a few samples... but that's what I want - the samples! After that we'll do the proper grows! I'll try get some pics tonite
 
Last edited:
Just one thing I forgot to mention, one of the females from the first batch (same batch as the male), the one that didn't make it :(, was also quite 'indica' looking, like these current ones, so l33t, I take your point about southern Gk landraces having indi phenos. For now I'll reserve judgment.

====


Meantime here's a couple of crappy pics of the buds, taken very hastily, will try get something better later. The first one is from the Disp, the second one is from the Disp x K pheno#1, which is about a week to 10 days behind its mother.
 

Attachments

  • P2180022_disp_s.jpg
    P2180022_disp_s.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P2180020_ph1_s.jpg
    P2180020_ph1_s.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 17
Check this out, too, mate...

NRM x Kalamata (skinny pheno) at 50-odd days from seed in 12/12.
Also, further down, (NRM x K) x K.

Can't wait... ;)
 

Attachments

  • P2210020_s.jpg
    P2210020_s.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P2210021_s.jpg
    P2210021_s.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Quick pictorial update:

Kalamata seedlings. On a February windowsill...
picture.php

picture.php


303xKalamata seedlings starting out...
picture.php


I'll be putting up a few more pics in my 'Albums'. Feel free to have a butcher's.
 
Last edited:
Small update on Kalamaty Jane #1 pheno

A small update: As I mentioned already, this pheno takes a lot after its mum (Disp), with nice fat buds (for a non-skunky haze, anyway). It has even started showing one or two late nanas, at exactly the same time as its mum. Initialy I thought the Kalamata influence would shorten the 12-week flowering period of the mum, but now I'm thinking it's going to be the other way. The mum is almost ready (I've already seen one or two amber trichs), but this one has not even turned the pistils brown yet! Definitely another month+ on the cards, and the same goes for its sister, the #2 pheno.

One new thing that I did notice:
Like I said, the smell was not disimilar to the mum, but more fresh and lemony.
Now another scent has appeared, a really floral one. I spent about 15' with my nose buried in the bud trying to figure it out... you know how it is... delightful ;) :p

In the end I recognised it - a faint but charming jasmine / honeysuckle scent. Exquisite. I know that in this pollen-chucking lottery smell guarantees nothing, but if the high reflects anything of the aroma we may well have struck a little jackpot.
 
Nice, was having a little sniffing session with my revegging Dispensation, truly uniique smelling cannabis that. Now you say it's even better? How has the structure been affected by the cross, is it still ridiculously stretchy?
 
was having a little sniffing session with my revegging Dispensation, truly uniique smelling cannabis that. Now you say it's even better?
Hi mate. No, I'm not saying that, the Disp is still unique, but I am trying to detect any floral influences (from the K) in this cross. There are some, and very, very appealing, but overall the smell is unbelievably light, even now in late flowering. Really charming though, even if not like the Disp. (much subtler)
The more Dispy pheno also has a slight gingery vegetative smell, not as strong as the original, but still there.
I'd love to be able to reproduce this in seed form at some stage (the Disp x K attempt seems to have made a repectable start) but ATM managing the K crosses and the NRM is about as much as I want to handle.

How has the structure been affected by the cross, is it still ridiculously stretchy?
Difficult to say for sure with the teeny clones I'm flowering, but I think the more Disp-leaning pheno is pretty much the same. The more Greek pheno seems to be stretchier, yet fuller at the same time, buds aren't as 'localised'. I can only hope that the final product isn't 'hemp'. LOL
 
Some bad news, I'm afraid.

The Kalamata male dad is dead. :(
Long live the Kalamata male dad!

Completely my fault, really, it was getting rootbound in its little pot, and starting to flower. So I removed FAR too much of the root, and after that it just got sick never recovered. Wilted away. Like a fool, I hadn't even bothered with a backup clone. Ho-hum....

Anyway, he didn't have the worst of innings, several crosses, including 3 backcrosses (NRM sat pheno, DispxK both phenos), so if there was anything worthwhile there, hopefully something of it will be preserved. Look at the 303xKalamata pic below, has a lot of the dad in it!

picture.php


It does make me realise again, though, how much we really need a clone bank / library.
 
I'm not really sure what to make of the other two "Kalamatas". Frankly, they don't look anything like the old dad, their habit is just like the average hybrid. I'll put some pics up later.

Even though they were both in the same pots, same compost, same conditions, etc. One of them stalled for a little while, leaves got all twisted, and it looked really unwell. It's grown out of it now, though.

The other one looks just fine, but as I said, nothing remarkable at all.

PS. 29/03/09
I've added a couple of recent pics to the Kalamata Album, as I said, nothing in the least remarkable.
 
Last edited:
Kalamaty Jane #1

Time for a bit of an update.
Kalamaty Jane #1 (the NL-leaning pheno of the Disp x Kal) has been chopped & dried and is in the bowl.
Morea Massacre #2 (sat leaning NepRoyalMassacre x Kal) is chopped and drying.
Kalamaty Jane #2 (Greek-leaning pheno) is coming down very soon.

They all took quite a bit longer than I initially expected, I think the dad was quite extreme sat, though there may be other reasons too.
The three plants above also all have a small handfull of BX Kal seeds on them, so that any legacy present may continue...

Now for the relevant bit:
I did not keep the KJ#1 pheno - there were too many things wrong with it. First off, as well as being very fluffy and airy (against initial expectations) the bud was very leafy and not too crystally. It really didn't look like much at all! Even the sample I'm smoking is full of little bud leaves (yum, chlorophyl), Happily, the other two plants do not share this trait!
Secondly, and this was really the worst of it, the plant had a lot of late nanas. I mean a lot - borderline hermie is probably more like it. Now, the Disp always chucked a couple of late nanas in week 11 or 12, but that was cool, practiacally a desirable feature (ready feminised crosses). However this was quite unacceptable, especially as the nanas appeared a full month before the plant was chopped.(Well she's gotta live up to her neme, eh?) Again, the other two plants have no trace of this, thangawd, even though they've gone a couple of weeks longer.

Well, that's most of the bad news.
The smoke, however, is a far more promising story! I chopped the plant with minimal amber (I swear I saw an amber trich, guv), maaaaybe 5%. Dried for a week and straight in the bowl. The first thing that struck me was that despite the excessive amount of leaf, this was a very moreish smoke!. Now, I'm not one to go on about tastes, I usually don't even notice them unless I'm vaping, but I do like that old school peppery ganja taste. This quantity of "moreishness" reminded me of the NRM - by far the most moreish weed I've tasted in the last 4 yrs.

As far as the quality of the high is concerned there is a lot of promise here.
Smoke one bowl (oh BTW, it's not particularly strong, 6 maybe 7 at a push) and the cerebral effect is quite impressive. It seems to produce a willingness to engage with things that was a real blast from the past! Ah, yes, that's what I was on about - even more cerebral than my Nepalese crosses.
I found myself getting involved in quite highbrow discussions, and even stuff that I normally steered clear of, either because of perceived difficulty or mental laziness on my part, suddenly seemed like a challenge that I was really keen to take on. There is no trippiness, more of a cerebral vitamin dose.

I also found that this weed really increased my willing to interact with people, especially where I might have otherwise been more indifferent. I wouldn't say it makes you pushy, or even forceful, but just - well, just keen to be there, full on. Tricky to describe, but I really, really like that quality. I remember l33t mentioning something like this about the Kalamata, and I think this may be what he meant.

Smoke two bowls, however, and the thrasher quality of the NL kicks in, and you are left pretty incapacited, LOL. Nicely incapacitated, but incapacitated. The next day there is a definite "hangover", but I think that's from the NL5Hz side of things, too.

Anyway, in short, this is a good first result, I think. There are tons of things that need improving, but even as it is, I would not turn up my nose at this weed. It is the most cerebral I have come across so far, even more than my NepJam, Apollo Genius pheno, etc. Quite a lot more.

If I could keep the amazing cerebral and even more amazing "engaging" qualities and lose the mong ceiling and hangover, I wold be very happy indeed. Here's to the next two samples! I am especially curious about the NRM cross, since that has many really good qualities already. And I just have a good feeling about the KJ#2 pheno...

More as it happens, folks.
 
These Came 50 Miles From Rhodes ( 2007)

From Turunc ( Marmaris - Izmir ) Turkey , Grown Last Year From Some Local Bagseed
Joe
 

Attachments

  • P2120143.JPG
    P2120143.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P2080004.JPG
    P2080004.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 9
  • P2090142.JPG
    P2090142.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Turkish Mongrel- June20-08.jpg
    Turkish Mongrel- June20-08.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Ali Baba Stretch.jpg
    Ali Baba Stretch.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 15
  • BigTurk-PistilsEncouraging-Aug8-Unbendable.jpg
    BigTurk-PistilsEncouraging-Aug8-Unbendable.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Aug20-BabyTurk.jpg
    Aug20-BabyTurk.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 10
High Joe

Nice to see some landraces from you mate ,

Usually Turkey has mostly indica hash producing strains but I m sure there are sativas there as well. The plants in the pic look like there is some sat influence .

Plants look very nice , how was the potency and high profile like?
 
Hi Gert

Thanks for the updates mate

good to hear that you found some amazing qualities in this test cross coming from the Kalamata side, I m very familiar with the qualities you describe about the produced willingness to engage with things & increased willingness to interact with people.Also glad you found it to be the most cerebral plant you 've come across the last years. I like cerebral bud myself a lot. From Haze hybrids I ve tried , A11 G..eventhough not very potent..had a very special clear up / cerebral high , a quality I didn't find in that extent with other Haze hybrids I ve tried so far , which were more potent & trippy but less focused in the high and more stony/with more body as well.

Hope the Kalamaty Jane#2 which isn't as leafy / fluffy and leans more to the Kal side as you reported, has these nice qualities #1 has, without the mong ceiling and 'hangover' of #1 ,which I def believe comes from the NL side just like you say (I have noticed it with other NL dom hybrids , like some NL dom SSH etc). Since #2 doesn't have the hermi trait #1 had I have some higher expectations as well..but of course only sampling will tell.

As for the alleged Kal plants they do look they have quite some indica influence indeed , at least the one of the two , the other looks more like a 60/40 sat hybrid . Perhaps eventhough the buds might have been from pure Kal , other genetics were introduced at the time the plant was growing and pollinated the female buds (the alleged Kal seeds came from) so the seeds may be hybrids , I don't know really.

BTW The 303xKal plants looks very nice , there is great resemblance to the dad indeed !Its very good that you crossed & backcrossed the dad before he died with several different lines , this way you will know which line gives the best combining ability.By the way it would be nice to see a pic or two from KJ #1 , KJ#2 & Morea Massacre #2 .

Btw I read your aroma descriptions in the earlier posts , and I saw you described some undertones reminding you of jasmine / honeysuckle . I really like the scent from both Jasmine and honeysuckle , infact I have both of these plants at the backyard , really like their smell , and I just love the taste of the nectar from honeysuckle flowers! It may only be a small drop per individual flower but its exquisite..I m almost addicted to it..cant get enough of it!

Thanks again for the updates on the various Kal projects!

l33t
 
Back
Top