Kalamata

hi Gert!

Looking great there

I really like how the calyxes are covered in resin now. i d say another 3 weeks or so and should be ready to take her down. Lighting surely affects flowering times and I believe with a 600w/1k all these sats you run would take ~1/4 less time to flower. Are these 12/12 or 11/13?

btw The Larisa must have started to flower now , dont really know as last check was 3-4 weeks ago , next update on these will be in 2wks or so and we will also know how these go at this stage compared to the rest of the gang there in the spot.
 
Yeah, mate, I'll leave them for as long as...
One thing I noticed is that the smell definitely improved once they were out for a while - I think maybe very confined spaces are not the best for taste/smell. I've noticed this with another strain, too. Really, really improved the taste being left to finish o/d.

Are these 12/12 or 11/13?
They were 11/13 in the drobe, I'm not forcing them now so they're in UK light prob 13/11 at the moment, but reducing fast as we approach the equinox. There seem to be no adverse effects (hermi-ing or anything like that)

I also have a small Neville's Haze (you-know-whose cut) which I took out of the drobe when I put in the Assamese. I am forcing that one a bit at the moment, since it only had 1 month of 11/13, but after the equinox I'll just leave it in the porch. It looks pretty good, I'll put up a pic at some stage. Should be ready (14wks) mid-Oct.

Looking forward to the updates on your outdoor shenanigans...
 
Last edited:
Hiya Gert

hope you're doing well mate!

Good to hear the smell improved by taking em outdoors, I don't know about the 'confined space' being a factor as you suggest..possibly , but HID lighting indoors surely affects the production of terpenes/terpenoids in a negative way with all the strong heat esp if the light bulb is placed quite close to the light for the last weeks of flowering.

BTW the Assamese looks awesome! I cant wait to see the structure of the buds when flowering sets in for good.. A real beauty man , great job you did with her hope the smoke will be rewarding !


Kazan checked on the Larisa plants so here are some updates on the 2 females, both reached ~4 meters n just started flowering now before few days . The plants have been topped/pinched numerous times so quite big and real bushy now after 3 full months outdoors.
 
the 2 females, both reached ~4 meters n just started flowering now before few days .
4 metres!?!?
Bleedin' 'eck mate, did I read that right?
I thought the Larisa might stay a bit shorter seeing how they started.

Fingers crossed, you should have some harvest...
Looking forward to the bud pics, too.
 
Hiya Gert

yep you read that right ;) ~4meters tall and approximately 2 meters wide and these were topped multiple times over their 3 month veg period.
On the last check , 1/2 meter of all of the top growth that was above 3meters from the ground was trimmed off for controlling height. Considering they have few weeks of flowering stretch period ahead I believe they will end up 5-5.5meters or more by harvest time . I'm sure if were left to grow naturally, they could easily finish over 6-7meters (over 20 feet) but for security reasons they have to be grown more like bushes. Funny thing is these were taken outdoors quite late at 28 of May and where started indoors 4wks or so earlier, I wonder how huge they could become if were started a month or two earlier..

The one plant grows pretty much like an almost/pure sativa the other one is less stretchy and with broader leaves , I really look forward to see how these turn out.

btw is the Assamese you have in flowering a cut or the actual seedplant?
 
Last edited:
Great going L33t and Kazan, post a pic of your Larisa monsters whenever you feel comfortable. Everyone enjoys a good guerrilla pic! Man, it sounds like they'll yield a 1/2 kg each, maybe more!

The Assam is from seed, mate, sorry about the confusion, see your PMs. Anyway the grow itself is documented on Vibes, only the pics are kept here.

BTW, that 303xKalamata is turning out much, much better than I initially thought, now that it's had a month of cure. It has all the get-up-and-go of the 303 as well as something much more magical and cerebral. I am sure I chopped it wa-aaa-y too early. The other two are now 15-16 weeks in. #2 was chopped a day ago, I'm leaving #3 for another week or so.

I have to say that I have had a real change of mind. This is far more like it.
However they are serious sativas, no two ways about it. You're looking at a January harvest with these genetics outdoors.
 
Hi Gert!

will post some pics soon , your yield estimates should be about right if all goes well , only concern now is with mold as the area is humid n rainy during Fall.

Btw good to hear the smoke from the 303xKalamata is turning out good after a month of curing , let the other 2 girls fully ripen if possible and see if she gets any better with a couple extra weeks. The kalamata dad seems to have kept the times high but thats what happens when you cross two pure sativas :D

looking forward to hearing how the rest smoke when dry n cured

cheers

l33t
 
Well... at last!

Just had a couple of smokes of the last 303xKalamata I chopped (barely dried, no cure yet). It was chopped well mature at 16 weeks, 20% amber, maybe a bit more...

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/album.php?albumid=20&pictureid=495
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/album.php?albumid=20&pictureid=493


Well, all I can say is that THIS IS A LOT MORE LIKE IT!!!
Patience pays off. I was prepared to be disappointed, but was nothing of the sort. Really, really nice weed, has that ooomph get-up-and-go from the Papuan side but some really interesting and complex psychedelic stuff added from the Greek.

Now, either I was chopping them too soon (most likely) and thus getting my previous ambivalent results, or perhaps you have to sort a bit through the phenos, I'm not sure which, though I suspect my "growing" techniques before anything else, LOL.

For me the acid test of any weed - especially long-flowering sativas - will always be "Would you grow it again?". In this case that's a definite YES, and soon.

Yield is pants, of course, about a half-ounce off the plant, but that's just how this game is played.... You need a tropical mountain-side, really.

====

Final little note - I found that where this weed really shines is in "mixes", or "salads" as some call them: Just by chance I mixed some with some old OKish C99 that I had, as a test. The result was nothing short of stunning, easily up there with the "Neville's Haze", etc, I guess the C99 just gave it that tad more "body", so that all that Hiiiiiiiiigh Gooooodness could ground itself.

I'm very pleased with this, I'm only kicking myself that I didn't do all 3 phenos the same way. Which way, incidentally, I will use next year as well: 2 months 11/13 in the drobe, then two months out under glass, probably September and October, so they finish nicely and unhurriedly.
They always finished badly those last few weeks in the drobe anyway - much, much happier under glass, plus if frees the drobe, p'haps for a second batch?

BTW, L33t, even though I told you that this cross did not bring down the flowering time (maybe even extended it by a week) what it did do was shorten the onset of flowering, perhaps by a full month. So overall that's a gain. Personally I wouldn't want to try it in the colder parts of Greece, but a warm southern slope on Crete or by Kalamata, perhaps. Certainly doable in a warm Mediterranean greenhouse.
 
Last edited:
Hey Gert!

Good to hear from you :)

"Really, really nice weed, has that ooomph get-up-and-go from the Papuan side but some really interesting and complex psychedelic stuff added from the Greek.
"

"For me the acid test of any weed - especially long-flowering sativas - will always be "Would you grow it again?". In this case that's a definite YES, and soon.
"


Thats some really good news.Seems the Kalamata project did pay off at the end even if it needed some extra effort and patience

"Now, either I was chopping them too soon (most likely) and thus getting my previous ambivalent results, or perhaps you have to sort a bit through the phenos, "


As we have discussed before when you try to judge a line with only one male(no females at all) and have basically zero selection , arriving to accurate conclusions can be quite difficult and will take a lot of time and effort through progeny testing.But its great that even though the other crosses with the Kalamata male/father didn't give the desired outcome (for whatever the reasons) the pheno #3 from the cross with the 303 did give some very nice results.

..still I can't help but wonder how much better the smoke results would be if these genetics were grown outdoors with full tropical sun.. :)

Anyway I m happy you got to find a good represantation of the Kal dad in this 303Kal plant and you are willing to grow this one again. Did you keep clones from this specific one ? (sorry if I asked before)

Thanks a lot for the pics and the early smoke report mate , looking forward to hearing how you find the smells and tastes when its a bit cured.

I was wondering did you notice any lowering or increase of potency compared to the pure 303?
 
As we have discussed before when you try to judge a line with only one male(no females at all) and have basically zero selection , arriving to accurate conclusions can be quite difficult and will take a lot of time and effort through progeny testing.
Tell me about it! LOL :p

..still I can't help but wonder how much better the smoke results would be if these genetics were grown outdoors with full tropical sun...
Even judging only by how much better my greenhouse efforts have been (in the meagre UK sun) compared to the drobe, I would guess the difference would be HUGE.
(I've got a teeny NepJam in the gh now, and it smells about 20x better than it did in the drobe. Much stickier too, though not as "fat" obviously. Don't think it's ever really seen the sun ;) Nevertheless it is unbelievably healthy looking. And that smell... oooh the smell equivalent of a sable/mink coat! Wouldn't believe it's the same plant... No, you just can't beat the sun.

Did you keep clones from this specific one ?
Good question. I kept a clone although I am not sure if it's from this one or the other (weaker) fem it shared the pot with. My labelling got mixed. Bloody stoners...

Anyway, I also have a microscopic clone of it in flower right now, so I'll know soon enough. Incidentally, as I thik I said before, one thing the Greek HAS done, is to bring the onset (not the duration) of the flowering really forward. I also have an unforced Neville's cut under glass and it hasn't even started flowering, really, just a few more PFs. In comparison, the Greek/303 already looks like about 15 days into flower. That's a big difference, especially since I kept it in vegetative conditions for longer than the Nev's. I suspect that in a fair outdoor comparison the Greek/303 would start flowering at least a month before the Nev's, maybe substantially more. Know anyone with a spare field in Southern Greece?

I was wondering did you notice any lowering or increase of potency compared to the pure 303?
Comparable, but I don't really want to answer the question until I feel I really know this plant.

====

Guess that wraps it up for now, love to see how you and Kazan did with your Larissa efforts!
 
hi Gert the photos of your 303xKal in post #88,where they run outside or where they run in you indoor setup?

im just tryin to get a handle on wat i could posibly get off my ssh greenhouse run(under the shitty uk sun)

sorry for the stupid Q but iv never seen any photos of uk runs with heavy sats

thanks mate
 
Hi Herbminster,

They were run inside (half the time) and then finished outside.

HOWEVER, this is a super-wispy variety due to the extreme tropical "303" influence, and there is no way you can compare it to a relatively heavy yielder like SSH. I would expect the SSH to yield much more, maybe 3 times as much. As it was, it yielded even less than Nev's Haze, which is a notorious low yielder.

The "shitty UK sun" is fine for finishing plants, my only concern with the SSH would be if it started flowering soon enough. Did it? If you have - say - a few weeks of flowering on it already, you should be fine and the yield won't be too bad, maybe half of what it would do in the drobe (that's a wild guess, BTW)

SSH has a lot of skunk in it, and is quite a good producer as such, you can't compare it to pure sats, which would have zero chance in the UK without forcing.
 
cheers Gert

iv got four different ssh phenos,ones quite fast 2 are middle and one is very hazy and slow.iv also got two malana cream phenos that are both reasonably fast.feel free to take a look in my threads

ta for that mate
 
I was gifted some kalamata red seeds from a family friend of mine who was born and raised in kalamata Greece, he visited his family recently and when he came back he brought me some seeds and told me they were kalamata red
 

Attachments

  • kalamata 1.jpg
    kalamata 1.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 8
  • kalamata3.jpg
    kalamata3.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 9
  • kalamata 2.jpg
    kalamata 2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 29
  • kalamata 5.jpg
    kalamata 5.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 25
  • kalamata1.jpg
    kalamata1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 13
heres some more pics of the kalamata red I was given
 

Attachments

  • kalamata4.jpg
    kalamata4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
  • kalmata2.jpg
    kalmata2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 14
  • kalmata3.jpg
    kalmata3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 13
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3
Hey colombiangoldlover, was the smoke on that alleged Kalamata any good?

Talk about resuscitating an old thread!
Well, I've just smoked a couple of crosses that contained the Kalamata male which was posted by the OP, crossed with some Nepalese and Mexi-leaning KCBrains genetics, made by one of the contributors to this thread. The seeds had been languishing for about 5 years, so I thought I'd dredge a couple out and see if I'd been on the right track (so many projects, so little space, sigh...)

Well, I was impressed enough with the results (just so close to proper Greek sativa, really good high, hashy floral tastes, very more-ish, in fact quite a lot like L33t described the Larissa in the early pages of this thread), so I have now germed a few more. They are not all exactly the same genetics, but they are all variants of the Nepalese-Greek theme. Some are from the crosses I mentioned about 6 years ago, some are more in the Mexi-KCB line.

So, with any luck, I'll have something to say again in 4 months or so. :)
 
(NRM x Kalamata) X Kalamata

Well, after some delays the backcrossed Kalamatas are on their way, should be ready in just over a month or so.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of poor pics, just gove an idea of growth habit to some friends that asked...

One of the wilder sativa looking phenos:




One of the "higher" yielders, which isn't saying much:

 
Sorry about the poor camphone pics, might put up some better ones later on, when the bud structure has got going.
 
Here is a bud from the more wild-leaning pheno.



All the Nepalese<->Greek were good, some nice honey-nougat smells among the general sativa aromas. This particular one, however, had no sweet/candy-shop aroma at all -- just the most divine floral hashy smell... absoluely one of the best so far. I was quite surprised, with it looking so wild an' all, but there you go.

The highs are super-friendly, super-expansive, super-social, super-confident. Incredible party weed. Very gf-friendly! A bit of pocket sunshine, even if it was grown indoors!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to keep a clone. I'm trying but it ain't looking too good. Nice to see the potential though; and I do have some more seeds to breed with.
 
Back
Top