In Search of the Holy Grail

So what is the Holy Grail of weed these days?

Road Kill Skunk? Seems that EVERYONE is looking for it. Lost in time? I have not smelled anything like it in decades.

Original Haze? Just a mid to late 1970s Colombian bag weed cross ~at best~ in my book, but claims of it keep resurfacing. Colombian gold was great stuff for cheap. Very seedy tho.

Northern Lights? Originally bred by "The Indian" on an island west of Seattle. But the breeder remains unknown. It surfaces around these parts now and then. Potent as all fuck.

Big Sur Holy Weed? Originally 2nd gen+ Zacatecas Purple. Name coined by Jerry Kamstra. Dubious strains arise with tall tales of IBL breeding for 50+ years now. Very potent purple.

Alaska ThunderFuck? Also dubious tales and statements that Matanuska ThunderFuck was the real ThunderFuck. Aging hippies say it is extinct, lost in fire. Never had any.

Kona Gold? From the Big Island, then called Hawaii, it made a big splash and was the best hash I ever smoked. Said to be from Colombian parents, but it blooms and finishes way earlier.

Kerala Ganja? By far the most potent weed I ever smoked. Brain freezing weed. Pinners of this in 1975 locked people up for hours. Legendary in its time. Crossed with indica now?

Jamaican Lamb's Bread/Breath? Bob Marley weed. Like Big Sur Holy and ATF, hard to know of anything near the original is still around any more. But smoke two and then smoke two more...

African Black Magic? It was just called "African". THE weed of choice for the rich in NorCal in the 1970s. Absolutely potent as all fuck. Unknown origin. Nigeria, Congo or Tanzania?

Thai stick? The skinny Thai sticks in the early to mid 1970s. Not the fat dipped in hash oil ones that came later. An absolutely superb sativa high. Stomped out by the Thai gov't.

Indiana Bubblegum? Said to be a deliberate cross, but insiders tell me that it was just a single chance find in a grow of many. It made its way to New York and then elsewhere.

Rooibaard? The legendary Red Beard of South Africa. Said to be the far better ancestor of Durban Poison. Said also to now be extinct in South Africa.

I will leave the list at that...

Last edited:
Holy Grail is the strain that makes you feel euphoric and satisfies life issues with a few tokes...imo it is never a single strain! Kind of the journey to find the Holy Grail is in fact the Holy Grail itself...However the strains mentioned have obviously all done that to certain people in their journeys and always great to hear personal experiences.
I do recall myself being blown away by Keralan buds from south Indian...and it lead me to get on my motorbike and hunt out seed long way back...so as i said it is the journey that maybe mistakenly confused but it is the Holy Grail itself if it can get you so motivated you seek it out in far away places and off the beaten track lands.

So many to choose from lol. I've had so many Holy Grail's over the years, all depending on time and space. The brief glimpse- those moments of perfection, the complete surrender. I plan to launch this packet of Mr. Nice Holy Grail in the next week or so. Finding the space is the problem as usual ;)

🤙
Mu

Good to see you back Marcus! 2 more plants came down today as I continue under 11/13 to hasten the finish. I plan to get these Grail seeds started by the end of this week. Now deciding how many and what varieties. Full straw of HG and half straw of HS maybe. A few more days to decide 😊

🤙
Mu

Here's some Holy Grails, Stones, SSH, and a WACO at day 17.
The HG's are actually in sync with the SSH and Stones in terms of development.
I'm guessing they're on the quicker side, which is a bit of a nice surprise given that
I expected them to take longer to flip; more along the lines of the WACO which has
only now starting to get into gear.

*Edit It's not WACO, it's GROWL.

Attachments

• day 17.jpg
    day 17.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Holy Grail is the strain that makes you feel euphoric and satisfies life issues with a few tokes...imo it is never a single strain! Kind of the journey to find the Holy Grail is in fact the Holy Grail itself...However the strains mentioned have obviously all done that to certain people in their journeys and always great to hear personal experiences.
I do recall myself being blown away by Keralan buds from south Indian...and it lead me to get on my motorbike and hunt out seed long way back...so as i said it is the journey that maybe mistakenly confused but it is the Holy Grail itself if it can get you so motivated you seek it out in far away places and off the beaten track lands.
I’ll say the
Ive got an angels breath hanging in my room right now drying. I don’t even care about how it smokes...the smell of that is the Holy Grail.

So what is the Holy Grail of weed these days?

Road Kill Skunk? Seems that EVERYONE is looking for it. Lost in time? I have not smelled anything like it in decades.

Original Haze? Just a mid to late 1970s Colombian bag weed cross ~at best~ in my book, but claims of it keep resurfacing. Colombian gold was great stuff for cheap. Very seedy tho.

Northern Lights? Originally bred by "The Indian" on an island west of Seattle. But the breeder remains unknown. It surfaces around these parts now and then. Potent as all fuck.

Big Sur Holy Weed? Originally 2nd gen+ Zacatecas Purple. Name coined by Jerry Kamstra. Dubious strains arise with tall tales of IBL breeding for 50+ years now. Very potent purple.

Alaska ThunderFuck? Also dubious tales and statements that Matanuska ThunderFuck was the real ThunderFuck. Aging hippies say it is extinct, lost in fire. Never had any.

Kona Gold? From the Big Island, then called Hawaii, it made a big splash and was the best hash I ever smoked. Said to be from Colombian parents, but it blooms and finishes way earlier.

Kerala Ganja? By far the most potent weed I ever smoked. Brain freezing weed. Pinners of this in 1975 locked people up for hours. Legendary in its time. Crossed with indica now?

Jamaican Lamb's Bread/Breath? Bob Marley weed. Like Big Sur Holy and ATF, hard to know of anything near the original is still around any more. But smoke two and then smoke two more...

African Black Magic? It was just called "African". THE weed of choice for the rich in NorCal in the 1970s. Absolutely potent as all fuck. Unknown origin. Nigeria, Congo or Tanzania?

Thai stick? The skinny Thai sticks in the early to mid 1970s. Not the fat dipped in hash oil ones that came later. An absolutely superb sativa high. Stomped out by the Thai gov't.

Indiana Bubblegum? Said to be a deliberate cross, but insiders tell me that it was just a single chance find in a grow of many. It made its way to New York and then elsewhere.

Rooibaard? The legendary Red Beard of South Africa. Said to be the far better ancestor of Durban Poison. Said also to now be extinct in South Africa.

I will leave the list at that...
I am
Getting so old. Seems like just yesterday I was smoking skunk. It was common back in the day in Massachusetts. But holy smokes Yesterday has turned into a few decades now it seems.

Back