HazeC, C5, what did I miss?

helmsman

Active member
Hi,
Well noted this thread is primarily designed for MNS stock, but my question is also related to MNS seeds and the breeding of. So I think that my references below to other strains from other breeders are appropriate and justified.

Late this year I'm going into project of my own to find and to select HazeC, C5 leaners. Below is a list of seeds/foundation stones to build further work upon them. I would appreciate your advice - what else you think I may/should add to:

1. Mr. Nice "Holy Grail" ((NL5HzC x Haze AC) x Haze C) = ((NL5HzA x HzC) x AC) x HzC where both males are used, the AC to the NH and then back to the C that would be NL5/HazeA x HazeC (NH) x Haze AC male, selection of mother, back to Haze C male.

2. "CC Top" (C5 Haze x C5 (NL5 x Haze C)) - Yo Sammy's work

3. "Isaac Haze" (AG13 x NL5 x C-HAze x C5 male" Yo Sammy's work where de Dampkring provided facilities for work.

4. "C5 Haze IBL" (C5 Clone (C5 Bx3) F X Santero’s Meridian Haze C5 Haze x (C5 Haze x Jack Herer C) M).
Well, this is complicated one. The name quoted here as given by Dave Scott QUOTE Scott Family Farms claims he used Meridian Haze x C5 Haze (Jack Herer x C5 x C5 x C5) “to create about as pure a C5 as you can get in a seed line to produce F4 for release.... and then as follows: C5 Clone (C5 Bx3) F X Santero’s Meridian Haze C5 Haze x (C5 Haze x Jack Herer C) M” UNQUOTE
Story of C5 clone, as provided by Dave Scott....well, incoherent, so I believe this is a "just" Meridian Haze-repro = c5bx2 f2 which Dave Scott received from Santero as c5bx2 seeds for free and was asked not release it pure. But as it is so often in cannaworld, he did it anyways (money talks) and labeled it “C5 Haze IBL”
"Meridian Haze" is a "C5Hz Bx2"-seedline, made by Santero. Nevil's original "NL#5 x HazeC" clone only from the 80's was kept alive and shared by Yo Sammy to Santero. This clone was hit by IX-
males from Hupla's "Emperor Haze" (Fusion Seeds) which is = "C5Hz-Bx1". So, looks like genetical break-up of "Meridian Haze" (C5 Bx2)= C5Hz 80's clone only X various Emperor Haze-males where "Emperor Haze" (C5 Bx1)=C5Hz X old 90's 'Sensi Seeds'-Seedbank Jack Herer-male (JH = C5Hz-hybrid)
Santero's "Meridian Haze" was his private project and it dropped only once in a very limited amount on seedheaven in bx2 stage. I was not able to lay my greedy hands on it. That's why I went for Dave Scott seeds.

5. Mango C5 ex Sativahoarders: an F1 line between a female Isaac Haze and a Mango Haze Male. Isaac Haze is a collab between De Dampkring Coffeshop and YoSammy, being an AG13 Haze (G13 x Haze A) Cut x (C5 Haze x NL5/Haze C). A dominant C5 leaner used on a Mango Haze Male from the Back to the Haze Project

Should I seek anything else to add to this collection?
 
Should I seek anything else to add to this collection?
I don't see Shanti's Nl5HzC, on your list. That is the first place I'd look! With Shantis F1 using the genuine Haze C Male, you would find an incredible spectrum of phenotypes to select from, in the f2.
Also, SSH is a classic and uses the same mother plants selected by Nevil, decades ago. Take them to f2 and select plants that match the C5 mother.
 
Nl5HzC is not on the list of available MNS strains. Or may be you are referring to "NL5 x Haze"? If it was indeed Haze C Male used in NL5 x Haze then sure, F2 off springs would be the right crowd to search for the future Male. But Haze C male is not mentioned in the description of the strain. I combed diligently MNS forum and I do not recall anyone mention Haze C in the composition of "NL5 x Haze". Now, after your post, I googled it and found that one of the seed banks selling MNS seeds listing "NL5 x Haze are the result of crossing Northern Lights #5 with Haze C, a Haze acquired from the Haze Brothers through Neville"
So, I'll dig deeper in my research. Thank you for the sound advice, Diesel840!
 
Nl5HzC is not on the list of available MNS strains. Or may be you are referring to "NL5 x Haze"?
Yes, Nl5xHaze. Shanti uses the same Haze C Male that Nevil bred the C5 with.


I combed diligently MNS forum and I do not recall anyone mention Haze C in the composition of "NL5 x Haze". Now, after your post, I googled it and found that one of the seed banks selling MNS seeds listing "NL5 x Haze are the result of crossing Northern Lights #5 with Haze C, a Haze acquired from the Haze Brothers through Neville"
Except for La Nina, any of Shantis gear which says Haze, and not Haze A or Haze AC, uses the Haze C male.
Mango C5 ex Sativahoarders:
Btw Mango Haze has the genes of both Haze A male and Haze C male. If you're trying to find something C5 dominant, you'll have to weed out the G13 and Haze A dominant phenos from the Mango c5.

I'd really recommend picking up a few straws of Shantibabas Nl5 x Haze, cloning each, and running a pheno hunt. There are some killer threads on here and besides no one takes their Haze as seriously as those on Mr. Nice! Some of the phenos are supposed to be pure 🚀fuel 😁.

The Holy Grail would also be a great option. There would be some Haze A male influence, and a portion of skunk and afghan genetics in the mix. If you know what you're looking for, shouldn't be too hard to select for C5 traits. Just make sure you let them cure properly before judging. Those Haze heavy genetics need some time in the jar to show what they are truly capable of!

So, I'll dig deeper in my research. Thank you for the sound advice, Diesel840!
Happy to help. Good luck with your project 😁

Diesel840
 
Last edited:
Nl5HzC is not on the list of available MNS strains. Or may be you are referring to "NL5 x Haze"? If it was indeed Haze C Male used in NL5 x Haze then sure, F2 off springs would be the right crowd to search for the future Male. But Haze C male is not mentioned in the description of the strain. I combed diligently MNS forum and I do not recall anyone mention Haze C in the composition of "NL5 x Haze". Now, after your post, I googled it and found that one of the seed banks selling MNS seeds listing "NL5 x Haze are the result of crossing Northern Lights #5 with Haze C, a Haze acquired from the Haze Brothers through Neville"
So, I'll dig deeper in my research. Thank you for the sound advice, Diesel840!

Nl5 x haze seed is Haze C. As is MNS Afghan Haze, Early Skunk Haze, Skunk Haze.

All 50% HazeC crosses. Straight f1s of HazeC.

Then there is the polyhybrids, SSH, for example, is 50% hazeC but has it distributed to both parents
 
Btw Mango Haze has the genes of both Haze A male and Haze C male. If you're trying to find something C5 dominant, you'll have to weed out the G13 and Haze A dominant phenos from the Mango c5.
Diesel840
It would be more difficult to isolate C leaner from polyhybrid (either SSH or Mango C5) than from f2 progeny of stable Mother and Father. It is still possible, of course, but with a greater number of plants. And my project is a rather "amateurish" attempt confined to a dedicated room of less than 6 m2 area for the duration of 2 to 3 years if all goes well. My #5 entrant Mango C5 ex Sativahoardersco was actually chosen as a side, not main parallel line of development.
Nl5 x haze seed is Haze C. As is MNS Afghan Haze,.... All 50% HazeC crosses. Straight f1s of HazeC.
Thank you, Amoril. Things getting clearer to me. All thank to you, guys. I am so glad I asked my question here. Indeed, MNS board is a Treasury of the Knowledge.
So, same HazeC father. Then, it is just my confusion because of the Family Breed description given for NL5 x Haze as a (50% Afghan, 50% Haze) and for the Afghan Haze as a (Afghan x Haze (origins of Thai/Columbia)). One may get confused.
I recall that Shanti on a Potcast was asked which one and only strain he would choose for an uninhabited island? His answer was: "Afghan Haze".
I believe he meant it not as his favorite strain for consumption but as a building block for future selection.
Edited: Ah! Just found this thread:

Haze A or Haze C in Afghan Haze crosses ?​


Enlightening reading.
 
Last edited:
1743352984594.png
Okay, here is proof above from first hands. Haze C male, indeed.
In the same thread:
QUOTE
ASH and Angels Breathe is made with the Afghan Haze C male side....hope that curbs all the interest...but SSH and Mango Haze are pedigree breeds incorporating both sides of Haze A and Haze C combinations....in their breeding.

All the best Sb
UNQUOTE

Whether any info available if Shanti's and Yo Sammy's C Male is the same clone?
 
Whether any info available if Shanti's and Yo Sammy's C Male is the same clone?
As far as I'm aware, Shantibaba is the only person with thr original Haze C male. Nevil gave his parent plants to Shantibaba. I recall posts from Nevil saying that he never shared his Haze C male with anyone besides Shanti. Sadly, Nevil passed six years ago, today 😞. RIP, Nevil. We all appreciate everything you went through, and did for us.

If you want a f1 hybrid using the Haze C male, Shanti is your best bet. Hands down. Crazy affodable straws if you watch the auctions. I recently won Nl5 x Haze on there for less than 40 euros
 
Last edited:
Thinking.
Here, eight Nl5 x Haze males from @musashi grow. Being "straight f1s of HazeC", at least couple of them should have displayed Haze C male morphology, no?
1743450130035.png
In the MNS thread "Unique haze c progeny leaf morphology": https://mrnice.nl/forum/threads/unique-haze-c-progeny-leaf-morphology.17542/
we can see Haze C photo found in another forum, posted by hempy. And other photos with no resemblance to Musashi's boys.
1743449542494-png.98820
 

Attachments

  • 1743449542494.png
    1743449542494.png
    380.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I find myself indecisive, weighting incomplete shattered pieces of my limited knowledge, trying to decide what would be my safe bet to start the search of the One. The Male who will carry the fire into future crosses. One man operation in the limited grow space, this first step alone will take at least two years. Select male, cross with female, fail, start again. Occasional failures is a part of this process and cannot be avoided. It is not a strait journey as we all know but there are dead ends and wrong turns on every crossroad. I have no problem with that. To me, it is more about journey than about arrival to final waypoint of the route. Discoveries of true magic and wonderful encounters awaiting those who dare to commence the passage.
But sure it's damn irritating to learn that couple of years ago you just started moving into wrong direction.

That being said, at the present moment I inclined to start my search either from CC Top (C5 Haze x C5 (NL5 x Haze C)) or from Isaac Haze" (AG13 x NL5 x C-HAze x Yo Sammy's C5 male)
Dave Scott's c5bx2 f2 repro of Santero's Meridian Haze is looking very tempting for sure, but who knows if this is truly bx2 (DS' story about he acquired C5 clone from an "old friend friend from Amsterdam" sound bs to me. I mean who knows if he made bx2 or just crossed with something else.

That's why I came here, to listen respectfully to the people who know more than I do. To make this decision about starting point.
 
Here, eight Nl5 x Haze males from @musashi grow. Being "straight f1s of HazeC", at least couple of them should have displayed Haze C male morphology, no?
That depends entirely on the dominance of the of both parents. Nl5 x Haze is 50% pure Haze C, but it is also 50% pure Northern lights which as an indica. The photos you showed looked exactly like what one would expect from a true 50/50 indica/sativa. A real hybrid. Also, if you check out some Nevils Haze threads, you'll notice that despite being 75% haze, they will often look much much more sativa once in full flower. I can't tell you how many threads I've read where people complain that their hazes look indica in veg, then it tripples or quadruples height in flower and the leaves will become MUCH more NLD.


at the present moment I inclined to start my search either from CC Top (C5 Haze x C5 (NL5 x Haze C)) or from Isaac Haze" (AG13 x NL5 x C-HAze x Yo Sammy's C5 male)
Dave Scott's c5bx2 f2 repro of Santero's Meridian Haze is looking very tempting for sure, but who knows if this is truly bx2 (DS' story about he acquired C5 clone from an "old friend friend from Amsterdam" sound bs to me. I mean who knows if he made bx2 or just crossed with something else.

That's why I came here, to listen respectfully to the people who know more than I do. To make this decision about starting point.
Go with what you feel is best for you. After all, we won't be putting the time and effort in nor smoking it. You will.
Having said that, consider the Nl5Haze from Shanti. After all, most of the canabis community stands on his and Nevils shoulders. Practically everything grown now is from their genetics. Most of the earlier seed banks were straight rip offs of him and Nevil, with said companies sometimes buying a single pack, then releasing their own version... nirvana 🤣... I know that personally for myself, I'd rather grow genetics from the breeder who worked on the strains himself back in the Golden era, not somone who supposedly got a clone from a friend who knew someone that got seeds from someone else. Which at best, is often what you'll get.

Shanti has binned plants, which you and I could only dream of growing/smoking.😉 Like he says, "proof is in the seed".

Good luck with your project.
Diesel840
 
Thanks Diesel840 !

That depends entirely on the dominance of the of both parents

Very correct statement. F1 generation of stabilized parental plants is not supposed to look like one of parents, I get it. If one want to isolate father pheno, then it is F2 would be the right place to look. With hopes of 1/4 probability (if one get statistically lucky, in theory). I get it too.

If Shanti's C male is really is the very same male from the Beginning of Dawn, then, definitely MNS Nl5 x Haze (aka Nl5 x HazeC) would be the very best place to look for selecting the male. In F2.

So, here comes my last question here to end the thread. I am grateful to those who answered and to @Diesel840 for valuable input.

Now please do not get me wrong as I am not trying to offend anyone with mistrust. Call me paranoid. One may be. Considering planned two years time and efforts.

Could anyone recollect where the Shanti himself stated clear and loud that yes, this is the same original male C?

I do realize that no commercial breeder in his right mind will ever admit that he lost the parent plant (bust, arrest, raid, etc). We've seen "re-created, improved, enhanced" strains from reputable breeders.
Respect and no mites!
 
Shanti has stated many times in dozens of various threads that he still uses the original male c. I'm fairly certain I remember him being asked abou it in a podcast, as well.
I do realize that no commercial breeder in his right mind will ever admit that he lost the parent plant (bust, arrest, raid, etc).
Fun little tidbit. Shanti has stated that they have multiple places around the world to back up their mothers Just incase of those exact circumstances. Unlike most breeders, both Shanti and Nevil lament the loss of Haze male A, openly stating that he only lives on in hybrids. Shanti has also been transparent with his use with a re-aquired G13. Before re-aqquiring his G13 cut, he openely stated that all of his G13 hybrids at the time were IBL because of loosing his original mother. His Nl5 x Haze uses a Nl5 that he selected from old seeds that Nevil got his original Nl5 from. Shanti is very honest about that fact.

It's his very transparency which sets him apart. As you yourself stated, most breeders wouldn't admit any of those facts.

Either way, I personally like how Shanti breeds his plants and the traits which he breeds for. Each breeder will leave his own mark on a strain, steering it down different avenues of flavor, aroma, bud/plant structure, effect. I enjoy the result of his selections which is a huge reason I mostly grow his gear. I also have more of a genome to play with when buying from him, as opposed to genetics which have had countless selections taking them down many different paths, possibly loosing traits or genes which I may in fact be looking for. Just a personal taste for me.

Happy growing.
 
Hi,
Well noted this thread is primarily designed for MNS stock, but my question is also related to MNS seeds and the breeding of. So I think that my references below to other strains from other breeders are appropriate and justified.

Late this year I'm going into project of my own to find and to select HazeC, C5 leaners. Below is a list of seeds/foundation stones to build further work upon them. I would appreciate your advice - what else you think I may/should add to:

1. Mr. Nice "Holy Grail" ((NL5HzC x Haze AC) x Haze C) = ((NL5HzA x HzC) x AC) x HzC where both males are used, the AC to the NH and then back to the C that would be NL5/HazeA x HazeC (NH) x Haze AC male, selection of mother, back to Haze C male.

2. "CC Top" (C5 Haze x C5 (NL5 x Haze C)) - Yo Sammy's work

3. "Isaac Haze" (AG13 x NL5 x C-HAze x C5 male" Yo Sammy's work where de Dampkring provided facilities for work.

4. "C5 Haze IBL" (C5 Clone (C5 Bx3) F X Santero’s Meridian Haze C5 Haze x (C5 Haze x Jack Herer C) M).
Well, this is complicated one. The name quoted here as given by Dave Scott QUOTE Scott Family Farms claims he used Meridian Haze x C5 Haze (Jack Herer x C5 x C5 x C5) “to create about as pure a C5 as you can get in a seed line to produce F4 for release.... and then as follows: C5 Clone (C5 Bx3) F X Santero’s Meridian Haze C5 Haze x (C5 Haze x Jack Herer C) M” UNQUOTE
Story of C5 clone, as provided by Dave Scott....well, incoherent, so I believe this is a "just" Meridian Haze-repro = c5bx2 f2 which Dave Scott received from Santero as c5bx2 seeds for free and was asked not release it pure. But as it is so often in cannaworld, he did it anyways (money talks) and labeled it “C5 Haze IBL”
"Meridian Haze" is a "C5Hz Bx2"-seedline, made by Santero. Nevil's original "NL#5 x HazeC" clone only from the 80's was kept alive and shared by Yo Sammy to Santero. This clone was hit by IX-
males from Hupla's "Emperor Haze" (Fusion Seeds) which is = "C5Hz-Bx1". So, looks like genetical break-up of "Meridian Haze" (C5 Bx2)= C5Hz 80's clone only X various Emperor Haze-males where "Emperor Haze" (C5 Bx1)=C5Hz X old 90's 'Sensi Seeds'-Seedbank Jack Herer-male (JH = C5Hz-hybrid)
Santero's "Meridian Haze" was his private project and it dropped only once in a very limited amount on seedheaven in bx2 stage. I was not able to lay my greedy hands on it. That's why I went for Dave Scott seeds.

5. Mango C5 ex Sativahoarders: an F1 line between a female Isaac Haze and a Mango Haze Male. Isaac Haze is a collab between De Dampkring Coffeshop and YoSammy, being an AG13 Haze (G13 x Haze A) Cut x (C5 Haze x NL5/Haze C). A dominant C5 leaner used on a Mango Haze Male from the Back to the Haze Project

Should I seek anything else to add to this collection?
C5 is just nl#5 x haze C. Nevils breeding cut was c5 #1 and c5 #122 of wich the #1 was used more so. Im sure shantibaba caried on the #122 and incorprates it in some of his work. As for haze C the easiest strain ive ever seen phenotypes pop up in are the g13 x haze C. If you can stil find the seeds or a cut. Bar that the mango haze is basicly a representation of #122, so the work has already been done for you.
 
I find myself indecisive, weighting incomplete shattered pieces of my limited knowledge, trying to decide what would be my safe bet to start the search of the One. The Male who will carry the fire into future crosses. One man operation in the limited grow space, this first step alone will take at least two years. Select male, cross with female, fail, start again. Occasional failures is a part of this process and cannot be avoided. It is not a strait journey as we all know but there are dead ends and wrong turns on every crossroad. I have no problem with that. To me, it is more about journey than about arrival to final waypoint of the route. Discoveries of true magic and wonderful encounters awaiting those who dare to commence the passage.
But sure it's damn irritating to learn that couple of years ago you just started moving into wrong direction.

That being said, at the present moment I inclined to start my search either from CC Top (C5 Haze x C5 (NL5 x Haze C)) or from Isaac Haze" (AG13 x NL5 x C-HAze x Yo Sammy's C5 male)
Dave Scott's c5bx2 f2 repro of Santero's Meridian Haze is looking very tempting for sure, but who knows if this is truly bx2 (DS' story about he acquired C5 clone from an "old friend friend from Amsterdam" sound bs to me. I mean who knows if he made bx2 or just crossed with something else.

That's why I came here, to listen respectfully to the people who know more than I do. To make this decision about starting point.
I’m not completely clear about your goals in all this other than you want as pure a plant to Haze C male that you can find?
If so I personally would use only Nevils Haze and inbreed it. NL5HzA x HazeC
Only one female line in this hybrid and both Pure Haze Males ( maybe brothers but probably closely related.)
And inbreed to the F2 or next generation.
Now you have multitudes of seeds to grow and select for type. Any indica traits will be from NL5 only.
If this isn’t your goal then Ive missed the jist of the thread.
✌️and good luck 🍀
 
I’m not completely clear about your goals in all this other than you want as pure a plant to Haze C male that you can find?
Correct. The goal is to find as pure a plant to Haze C male and to keep it for future crosses with female plants of unrelated genetics. I only recently got familiar with Haze C and was so impressed that I decided I should have my own male. To mate with any girl I'll meet and fall in love with. (Damn, this last sentence of mine make me sound like a pervert :rolleyes:)
...I personally would use only Nevils Haze and inbreed it
✌️and good luck 🍀
I never had a chance to experience Haze A as a pure smoke. But I am well familiar with a Nevil's Haze. This is not something I am going to smoke daily or even weekly. Not even monthly. She is leading me to the dark voids which I simply would not dare to frequent. Powerful energy is there, but it's more on a dark side for me. Do not get me wrong, I like it. But only occasionally. In secluded outdoor, like night on the beach.

As for haze C the easiest strain ive ever seen phenotypes pop up in are the g13 x haze C.
Thank you for advice. I thought about it. Bought just today in fact. Now I have a tough dilemma again. If I should start with Nl5Hzc or with a G13HzC to get to f2 to find the male. Are there any solid evidence that C genes is more dominant in a G13HzC marriage compared with Nl5Hzc?

Happy growing.

Diesel840, thank you!
I petition @musashi to add the title to your status of Well-known member.
The noble title of “The Well of Wisdom”. Or Mímisbrunnr if you prefer Old Norse.
Information you provided saved me the time and efforts of mining for scattered shards of valuable facts and helped to make the decision to set Nl5HzC as a starting point of the future lengthy journey. (Still thinking about what @Nightmare. said about QUOTE "for haze C the easiest strain ive ever seen phenotypes pop up in are the g13 x haze" UNQUOTE

So, I ordered myself a second pack of NL5 x Haze seeds to add to the single pack I have already in my library, added also a pack of G13 Haze to the order and dived into the reading about the homozygous heterozygous hemizygous staff heavily laced with interspecific / intrageneric staff with a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium to estimate genotypic frequency on top of it.

Feeling myself thick and dumb in some places. A bit too much for the stoner’s brain.

So, I went for the basics, Gregor’s Mendel "Experiments on Plant Hybridization". Missus got suspicious when glanced on a laptop over my shoulder and noted Versuche über Pflanzenhybriden title on the screen. So, when I came later into the kitchen ranting about inheritance über hybridization, I was given wary look and expelled from the premises.

Needed to clear the head, reached for the special jar. One good toke and a few moments later it’s all downed on me, what really happened to Mendel.

See, Mendel was Augustian friar and he must have heard fellow monks raving about mysterious sativa staff, talking to the burning bushes again, filling temple with smoke from the glory of God and promising each other “to take them out of the gates and stone them to death” ( Deuteronomy 17). But Mendel was not just your humble friar but abbot and naturally, monks were keeping things from the boss.

Being a man of faith, Mendel exclaimed: Hell! Heaven! I am going to find for myself! And then he planted Pisum Sativum L. Little did he know that monastery whispers were not about a pea plant. Here we come again on a subject of importance of getting right seeds from the right breeder.

Mendel spent seven years, cultivated and tested some 28,000 plants on his monastery's 5 acres. Settled on studying seven traits that seemed to be inherited independently of other traits. Talk about Nevil’s Cannabis Castle! Imagine what this Mendel guy could do if Sam Skunkman’s famous seeds bag ended in his hands.

I thought about it and felt Blue in Green, so I took another toke. And again, things downed on me. It is known recorded fact that Abbot Mendel’s superior Bishop giggled when was informed of the detailed genealogies of peas. Bastard knew all along that Mendel got it wrong trying to get high on peas. All these years.
Poor Mendel.
 
An interesting question would be whether Haze A and Haze C have the same respective fathers and mothers at base.

If this is the case, it is possible to find a Haze C phenotype with Haze A and a Haze A phenotype with Haze C.
 
An interesting question would be whether Haze A and Haze C have the same respective fathers and mothers at base.

According to Nevil - NO. They were maybe half-brothers at best.

 
Back
Top