Growing Tips Turning Purple/Black

Thanks for chiming in @longball . I'll try cutting it off next year, see what happens. It tends to go away soon after and I can't tell if it affects the taste or strength. My main concern is that any seed I make out of these outdoor plants may hold the possible virus causing this stuff

I think there is one commonality that could lead to an answer. The fact that it tends to begin as flowering begins as well as the color, dark purple which would show a specific deficiency ocurring at this point of maturation.

@59lespaul , have you learned anything new?

The thing about Daconil (Chlorothalonil). Is this really what you want to use?

Worker Safety Information:
Restricted Entry Interval: 12 Hours

PPE required for Applicators, Mixers or Loaders:
Some materials that are chemical-resistant to this product are made of any waterproof material. If you want more options, follow the instructions for Category A on an EPA chemical resistance category selection chart.

Mixers, Loaders, and all other Handlers (except Applicators) must wear:
  • Long-sleeved shirt and long pants
  • Chemical-resistant gloves made of any waterproof material
  • Shoes plus socks
  • Respirator with an organic-vapor removing cartridge with a prefilter approved for pesticides (MSHA/NIOSH approval number prefix TC-23C), or a canister approved for pesticides (MSHA/NIOSH approval number TC-14G), or a NIOSH approved respirator with an organic vapor (OV) cartridge or a canister with any N, R, P or HE prefilter.
  • Protective eyewear (goggles, face shield, or safety glasses)
Applicators must wear:
  • Shoes plus socks
  • Protective eyewear (goggles, face shield, or safety glasses

mu

The thing about Daconil (Chlorothalonil). Is this really what you want to use?

Worker Safety Information:
Restricted Entry Interval: 12 Hours

PPE required for Applicators, Mixers or Loaders:
Some materials that are chemical-resistant to this product are made of any waterproof material. If you want more options, follow the instructions for Category A on an EPA chemical resistance category selection chart.

Mixers, Loaders, and all other Handlers (except Applicators) must wear:
  • Shoes plus socks
  • Respirator with an organic-vapor removing cartridge with a prefilter approved for pesticides (MSHA/NIOSH approval number prefix TC-23C), or a canister approved for pesticides (MSHA/NIOSH approval number TC-14G), or a NIOSH approved respirator with an organic vapor (OV) cartridge or a canister with any N, R, P or HE prefilter.
  • Protective eyewear (goggles, face shield, or safety glasses)
Applicators must wear:
  • Shoes plus socks
  • Protective eyewear (goggles, face shield, or safety glasses
Ugh ☠️! Either live with it or destroy it and move on IMO

Deach69 said: "I'll try cutting it off next year, see what happens. It tends to go away soon after and I can't tell if it affects the taste or strength. My main concern is that any seed I make out of these outdoor plants may hold the possible virus causing this stuff"

I would think it would be on the outside of the seeds, if at all. Outside could be cleaned off. As far as taste and strength, I did not have a control plant to compare against. I had noticed it on a Northern Light plant, on very small, just starting buds sites. I had grown purple plants before so I thought I had something special. I rubbed it a bit and smelled my fingers. Thought I was gonna die. This can't be good! I cut it out and maybe cut another dozen buds over the next week or two. Then I didn't see it anymore.

The plant finished looking good. I was told it would have little buds covered with a sticky golden resin. No big colas. That is how the plant turned out. After 6 months curing, I broke it out. It went 'viral' right away. Every time I light something up people's eyes get big and smiley and ask, is that the Northern Lights? A big hit. If taste and potency were affected it is sure hard to tell. I cut out the purple and pray for the best! 🙏

Northern Light - small buds coated with a golden resin - cured, and awesome!

opt_NL P1070413 1.jpeg

Longball

https://www.thespruce.com/getting-rid-of-leafhoppers-5213564

"Beet leafhopper: The adults are 1/8 inches long, pale green to tan, sometimes with brown markings. What makes the beet leafhopper a serious pest is that is transmits plant diseases. First and foremost, beet curly top virus which makes crops turn yellow or purple and inhibits plant growth; leaves and stems to turn stiff."

"The first measure of biological control is to encourage beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, and minute pirate bugs because they are the natural enemies of leafhoppers and keep their population under control. They not only take care of leafhoppers but also feed on other pests, such as aphids, armyworms, and spider mites."

Wolf Spiders love leafhoppers and they don't build webs.

Longball

https://www.thespruce.com/getting-rid-of-leafhoppers-5213564

"Beet leafhopper: The adults are 1/8 inches long, pale green to tan, sometimes with brown markings. What makes the beet leafhopper a serious pest is that is transmits plant diseases. First and foremost, beet curly top virus which makes crops turn yellow or purple and inhibits plant growth; leaves and stems to turn stiff."

"The first measure of biological control is to encourage beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, and minute pirate bugs because they are the natural enemies of leafhoppers and keep their population under control. They not only take care of leafhoppers but also feed on other pests, such as aphids, armyworms, and spider mites."

Wolf Spiders love leafhoppers and they don't build webs.

Im in the middle of the woods in North East Ky. Woods every where. Rugged hills, and mountains. Kentucky puts you n prison for growing weed. No way youre keeping insects at bay in the middle of the woods, unless you use something to kill the little fuckers, and then you kill bees, and all kinds of other beneficial insects. And if youre say growing in the middle of Daniel Boone National Forest, which I am not but is where most of the weed in Ky is grown. Its impossible to keep bugs off of them. And theres trees and thick brush everywhere here.
Something else, info says the Beet Leafhopper Virus is found out WEST. This purpling, black necrosis of the growing tips ect, has been reported all over the Eastern USA, and even in South Africa, and Hawaii. Beet Leafhopper Virus is said to come from the Western leafhopper.
And weve been battling this, for at least 10 years. We arent in the west, and have had whatever it is 10+ years. The shits like clockwork. As soon as budding time comes around. Boom. Purple, black, and then death. And it doesnt matter who you get the seeds from. Ive had it happen to Mr Nice Seeds. Shit, G13 x Haze, Black Widow, Critical Mass, Super Silver Haze. Dominion Seed company. Swami Organic seeds at least 5 strains, Jaws Cherry AK47, AKBB NL5 x Haze, NL5, NL1,, TK/NL5 x Haze, Sensi Star F4. Crickets and Cicada Puck/NL1 BC2, Sensi Star x Puck/NL1 BC2 V1, Nepali x Puck/NL1 BC2, Lebanese x Puck/NL1 BC2 and others. Have lost 1000ss of $$$ worth of seeds, and plants.
It never happens inside. I can grow 1 clone inside, and the other outside, and 95+++% chance the outdoor one gets it. Indoor wont. Never.
.Main thing is though, if its curly top, or a phytoplasma, neither can be cured.

Last edited:
first time i talking about that "cicadelle" the transaltor

"

Cicadella viridis, a common species in Europe and Asia, lives on herbaceous plants in humid, peaty or marshy environments and on shrubs, where it can cause damage by laying its eggs in young branches. Adults are visible in Europe from July to October.

Teatree is a good idea, I'll get on that. Shanti has also mentioned a product called Lost Coast Plant Therapy I've been patiently waiting for. Can't get it in Canada yet though

Id follow these organic advices given. Probably like every standard agricultural monocrop done this problem will most likely be not as big (deadly to the plants) if a proper soil is used and also there is every remedy needed always present in nature itself which sometimes just has to be put in effect.

Back