Growing Tips Turning Purple/Black

I think Ive found an answer.

AA guy on another frum, who is a grower in California, and also owns a golf course, says he sent photos to his fertilizer supplier, and have confirmed this is a Virus that is a Cousin to Tobacco Mosiac Virus. Its spread by leaf hoppers, and other sucking insects.

He says the cure is Daconil Fungicide. Daconil will kill, or stop 75 different plant maladies. He showed before, and after treatment with Daconil, and the purple is totally 100% gone, and it looks like the plant was never purple. He says it takes 2 weeks for Daconil to eradicate the purple. Daconil is effective for 14 days, and should probably be applied every 14 days. Probably also a good idea to use Permethrin to kill the bugs in the first place when still sedling, and then every 30 days, and then apply Daconil to keep away any infection before it even starts. Permethrin stays in the plant for up to 40 days, so you cant use it within 40 days of harvest. Daconil stays in the plant 21 days. Im not sure if either can be used during early budding even if its longer than 40 days before harvest. Im going to call the company that makes Daconil later today, and ask how to use with Permethrin.
You can give it a try. However, if its a virus it cannot be cured, especially not with a fungicide. If the fungicide cures the plant then its not a virus but a fungus. There is good chance that it is some kind of fungus cause fungal infection can induce anthocyanin production which causes the purple leaves. The subsequent darkening of the leaves and necrosis could be caused by the fungal infection which eventually kills the plant.

I think Ive found an answer.

AA guy on another frum, who is a grower in California, and also owns a golf course, says he sent photos to his fertilizer supplier, and have confirmed this is a Virus that is a Cousin to Tobacco Mosiac Virus. Its spread by leaf hoppers, and other sucking insects.
This is what my friend figured our problem was as well. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as what you have, but for some reason it stops , no necrosis

Update.

The guy made anoother post and said sorry for the confusion.

Dacional wont work on the virus, he was talking about something else someone had mentioned.

What he was told was that to help get rid of the purple was to use Chelated Potassium, and Chelated Silicon, and it doesnt work n all plants. He said some of his plants it has totally gone away, and did nothing for others. It also looks like that stuff is really hard to find, and super expensive.

Sorry for the confusion.

aww, it was good news for a minute...

i do notice some of those leafhoppers occasionally, with like blue and red colors?
i will have to try and snap a pic next time i see one.

if it was a fungus, it doesnt seem like it would be caused by any bugs.
and maybe even some good old greencure could do the trick.

also agree, i have never seen it inside but have clones of certain things both indoors and out, only on the outdoor.

ill snap a pic of mine tomorrow, today i noticed which plant it is that has it, and it even had some of the hairs looking purple.

@59lespaul , are your plants out in the open or growing among the local flore? The reason I ask is thatmost if not all of the ones affected here are in areas within regular "weeds". They are spread out in different areas because I don't keep all my eggs in one basket. I do have a bunch that are in the wide open, but I planted them later than the ones where I witness the purpling which could also be a factor.

I'm wondering if growing them in wild areas puts them in areas that are more likely to have bugs which spread virus :unsure:

Yes they are in secluded areas with alot of vegetation around. Im in an unfriendly state/Kentucky. And they dont like weed at all. My buddy has several scattered about his property, and lives in the country but still theres alot of vegetation around. No way you can get away with growing in the wide open. The National Guard has been all around this year, as they are every year, and Kentucky is one of the main states for cultivation arrests, and crop finds. We are in the eastern part of the state where its all hills, mountains and woods.
Weve ben growing for decades, since the early 70s, ( 1972 ) and never had this problem until about 8 years ago, and weve lost thousands of plants. I do believe its transmitted by bugs. Most probably leaf/plant hoppers. Theyre everywhere, and several species of them. There are 12,000 varieties of leafhoppers.
Leafhoppers both overwinter in an area, and also migrate from down south. Kentucky is in the highest migratory route from down south, ( South Carolina ) to the southeastern tip of Michigan.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've seen that happen only once to a handful
of plants almost immediately after adding (probably too much) fulvic/humic acid to the water.
I'm no expert, but I heard it was good so I tried it. Plants didn't die though..
I use tea tree oil as a preventative.

@acrid , was the tea tree used topically?

It's weird, as I look around the internet, it's kind of common but no answers. The best explanation I've seen is Phytoplasma and/or some sort of mutation carried by leafhoppers. @59lespaul, do you have any threads going on other canna sites on this topic? I'm sure I'm dealing with the same thing you are, pretty sure anyone dealing with this would recognize it, but I have one difference which is that my plants have always grown out of it, nothing dead or ruined. It usually starts at the beginning of August and fades away when flowering kicks in. BTW, I am located in Atlantic Canada as opposed to Kentucky.

OMG, it's the chemtrails lol!

mu
I brought up our locations (previously brought up) to rule out the possibility of this phenomenon being limited to specific geography and the climates that come with those places. I suppose someone may still be purposefully spreading spreading it, I suspect mother nature though ;)

@59lespaul , thanks for the links :)

Also here in upstate New York. Outdoors, grown on a deck with no exposure to weeds.

Longball
That's helpful, I still have a bunch growing in the wide open in a raised garden with none of that happening, but plants 100 feet away within the bushes that have it(I'll figure out the factor someday). 75% of my crop is in the bushes and they all have it. I'm still counting on the fact that it will blow over though. Although, @59lespaul 100 plant story has got me a tiny bit worried, sucks hard that happened man :(

I tend to get a bit of something purple/black each year that looks pretty much like the pictures posted. IIRC, I usually get some right after buds sites start forming. It will usually affect a bud site lower on the plant. Even white pistils turn purple/black. Of course, I was dumb enough to smell it to make sure it was bad. If it is one bud site I scrape it clean with a razor and wipe it with some alcohol. If more than one bud site on a branch is affected then I cut the whole branch off. It has not come back after that and then I forget about it til next year.

While I grow on a raised deck, I believe all 23,000 species of leafhoppers stop by to visit it!

Longball

It just struck me, a FYI for those reading this. Im growing from a variety of breeders, although predominantly Mr Nice. So this purpling phenom could hit any outdoor strain from any breeder as far as I can tell

Got a nice surprise yesterday, after leaving my plants alone for a week or so. The keeper Critical Widow I "pollen chucked" has flowered. That's a really good sign, I hadn't expected it this soon, my plants normally start a week or so from this point. I knew she was early from growing indoors a few months ago, but this tells me she is triggered earlier, like the R2s I also grow. She also has the purple/ black tips we discussed elsewhere. Still my favorite from that indoor batch, she checks all the boxes
DSC_0016a [640x480].jpg

@longball , same thing this year? Any of the newer folks around here familiar with this? Any solutions? :)

Hi Deach69! :)

For me, it seems to happen soon after flowering. The plants are just starting to flower so I will keep a sharp eye on the lookout. When I notice it, I scrape it off with a sterilized razor blade, and wipe the area clean with rubbing alcohol. If I stay on top of it seems to stop after a while. Never lost more than a few grams a plant. Never tried just leaving it alone to see if it spreads. Not scientific of course, but it 'seems' to work.

Also, there have been guesses that maybe leaf hoppers spread it? We have a type of 'spider' around here called 'Daddy Long-Legs'. Lots of them. When I see one I pick it up and put it on a plant. They tend to stay there the whole grow. They do not make webs and they eat bugs like aphids, mites, leafhoppers, and eggs, if no easy bugs are around. My plants seems to have less bugs since I started this. Caterpillars are a bit too big for them, dang it!
Again, not scientific, but hope something here helps.

Longball

Well, of course, tucking the plants in good night I see a little purple/black on a bud site. Maybe 4-5 'white hairs' and a new leaf about the size of a 'white hair' turned purple. I cut the bud site off, cleaned with alcohol, and put a small dab of petroleum jelly on the wound. For years I always used clear scotch tape when I cut a plant but this year trying petroleum jelly. I like it better. It keeps the wound moist and keeps bacteria and diseases off of the area. I started this after once topping a plant and the area turned black and started spreading to the main stalk. I saw they have a plant salve for this but both scotch tape and petroleum jelly are cheaper and easier to procure.

The plant is a CBD Girl Scout Cookie by CBDCrew.. As someone mentioned earlier, this purple/black does care about strains or breeders.

Longball

Back