Early Haze Outdoors

Hi phoenix,

That box does make it a whole lot trickier to maneuver through the woods, I'm glad I don't have to do that again, haha. Thanks for stopping in.

Hi Joe,

I've taken care of the deer actually, but rabbits are still munching off a branch or leaf here and there. I patched up the fence and they haven't been able to get back in since. I like to use the natural fence, which physically stops them from getting to the plant, since in the past no store bought or home brew deterrent has ever stopped them, even in combination. In the fall when food is scarce they don't care what it smells like. The picnic basket is a great idea, I'll definitely use one next year.

Now time for an update, plants are starting to get big.

1-Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, this is one of the two that survived the initial planting, so they have been outside for 3 weeks longer than the test beans, topped, getting bushy.
2-Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, this is the other of the initial survivors, not topped, getting very big.
3-A female preflower on the plant in pic #2, good news. This is on the first set of nodes that ares showing alternating branching, the tenth from the soil line. They were also showing on the plant in pic #1, so more good news.
4-6 The test beans, Early Haze, looking very good so far. Can't really see any definite signs of genders, yet.

It just started raining here, they needed it. I top dressed with more Blood/Bone/Compost. As far as I can see, the bigger plants have just ran out of available Nitrogen, and I will need to give them some form of instant N here in the next few days to hold them of until the blood meal is available.

See you all around.

Attachments

• 00_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    00_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 01_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    01_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 02_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09_preflower.jpg
    02_EPSKxHaze_Jun_30_09_preflower.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 03_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    03_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 04_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    04_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 05_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    05_EarlyHaze_Jun_30_09.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 43
Didn't get any pictures, but went out the other day to stake up the two biggest plants.

I stopped by the nursery the other day looking for kelp meal, since I hadn't added any source of K yet, which I should have earlier. They didn't have any, so I picked up Muriate of Potash, which I'd never heard of before, but it is 0-0-60. The back of the bag said to use 1/2 .lb per 100 square feet, not to let it come in direct contact with any part of the plant, and 'not intended or recommended for container plants', haha. Must be some pretty powerful stuff! I top dressed the plants with a touch of that, some lime for Ca/Mg, and more compost.

I also put a clone of Blueberry outside that I acquired from a friend and had to nurse back to health. It was pretty gnarly looking when I first got it, I think I have a picture or two and I'll put them up, but after a good pruning, a repot, and a few days under the HPS it looked great.

I talked to my brother on the phone and he asked me to make him some seeds for next summer. I've been thinking of how to pull that off, without too much risk to pollinating my whole crop. I don't really want to do any breeding indoors, my setup right now is far from secure, and I worry a lot less when I don't have my light on and plants in the place. If anyone has any ideas or advice for how to pull this off easily I'd love to hear it. I'm thinking along the lines of outdoor cloning of a male and female in their own plot. I guess I could always uproot my smallest pair and move them, but I don't really see that turning out well. I could also try and get a few unopened pollen sacs before the males get culled, and then save them and open them myself and hit up a few lower branches when the females are ready, but I don't really like that idea at all, a little too risky.

And I edited out my little background story and drug test fiasco from my earlier posts, I probably shouldn't post that stuff here. So for anyone who already read it, you know a lot more about me than most people I know in real life, haha.

See you all around.

Ok, by my math these plants are now about 60 days old. The two EPSKxHaze are about 80 days old.

I foliar fed with a 20-20-20 about a week ago and again yesterday. They had become a little N deficient. They are looking darker green again and healthy. I added some water soluble 8-0-0 to the soil. I also top dressed with Epsoma Plant-tone for an all around slow release organic fertilizer, I think it was 5-3-3, and another layer of bone meal. Then I laid down a thick layer of compost on top of it all, about 4-6". That will help break down the ammendments under it, and hopefully get some root growth out of the newly buried part of the stem, so that the plant can get better access to the top dressed fertilizers. Trying to make sure that they have enough nutes for the flowering boom, and then enough to last them until harvest. Will continue to foliar feed with the 20-20-20 about once a week for the next few weeks. Will also be foliar feeding with an aerated compost tea, that I'm actually cooking up in a garden pond. It feels to me like these plants are using every last bit of fertilizer I give them, and I didn't give them anywhere close to enough at first. (*edit* I should have just let them all grow, because some of the plants started looking worse when I started messing with their nutrient regime, I think it was a little too much, and Shanti confirms this later on in the thread, as well as my water district uses Chloramine now, which will destroy microlife)

Here's some pictures. None of them have really starting flowering yet, but genders are becoming more apparent. As it is right now, I count a total of 19 plants, 5 males.
1-3 - Early Haze
4 - Blueberry that loves its new home
5-6 - Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, topped one, then not topped one which is ~6 foot from the soil line, but has had at least a foot of it's stem buried over the months.

Attachments

• 00_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    00_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 01_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    01_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 02_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    02_EarlyHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 03_Blueberry_July_19_09.jpg
    03_Blueberry_July_19_09.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 04_EPSKxHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    04_EPSKxHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 05_EPSKxHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    05_EPSKxHaze_July_19_09.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
If anyone has any ideas or advice for how to pull this off easily I'd love to hear it.

Pick whatever male you think is the winner. or a pair of males. whether it's by node spacing, general health/vigor, smell, whatever... just pick them. too many males = too risky. with these select males you'll need to visit daily in order to find out when they're about to pop. most males drop pollen starting around a week before the females are fully flowering. take the select males and severely top them, leaving only a few male flower clusters. wrap the clusters in very fine cheesecloth or muslin cloth. the severe topping should initiate early pollen drop and in a couple days the sacs will open. collect that pollen for storage and then wrap the cloth around the female buds you'd like to pollinate. then place a brown or white paper bag (not waxed) around the intended bud and secure it with string. give it a couple vigorous shakes to loosen the pollen and make the magic.
discard all traces of the male plants. remember that a grain of pollen is nearly microscopic and each flower has hundreds or more. check out r.c. clarke's marijuana botany for more details.

Thanks 1TC that is perfect.

He had called again the other day to tell me he didn't want f2's, he wanted f1's of the Early Haze crossed to the Early Pearl Skunk x Haze. I told him they both have a similar genetic makeup, so it'd be more like a f1.5, haha. Early Haze is Early Queen x Afg Haze. Early Queen is Early Pearl x Early Girl x Super Skunk. So Early Haze is really (Early Pearl x Early Girl x Super Skunk) x (Afghan x Haze). The other's I have are listed as (Early Pearl x Skunk) x Haze. That's if understand it all correct. Still, I guess I will do that for him.

I have one EPSKxHaze male, who is a stud, and a few Early Haze male's to choose from. The timing will be very tricky, though. I can't really check my plants every day, so getting the males at the right time is going to be key. Will take pics of the process. Thanks again 1TC.

We've had a whole lot of rain lately, about 3 full days of it within the last week, and the plants have loved it, perfect timing since their going through their flowering stretch now. A few of the plants have badly broken limbs, and one tried to completely lay down, which you can see in the right of the picture. It got me pretty concerned, since this is happened without the weight of flowers, and the rain came without a thunderstorm, so I've been trying to add some support.

No flowering yet, but it should be starting within the next week or so. This picture is taken looking down on the plant, which is about 6', Early Haze. I didn't bring a ladder out there or anything, it's just at the base of a small rock wall =D

Last edited:
Thats A Nice Un - The Six Footer

Given Unlimited Good Soil Depth Defineatly Decides On The Height Of These Early Plants ( Wenkels , SSUK Grower-Contributer Grows Early Pearl In Submerged 300 Litre Containers
Apart From One Male ( Balls Forming ) My "Early" Haze Is Yet To Break Into Flower:confused:
Both The SSH And Shit Grown Last Year Were More Developed Than Early Haze?
I Guess The Haze Is More Dominant Than The Early Genetics Added To It In An Attempt To Speed Up This Strain, Unfortuneatly It Does'nt ( Outdoors )
The Weather Sure Does'nt Help, But The Light/ Photosynthesis Remains The Same . ( MNS Shit Was Half Flowered By August 8-2008 )
Wishing For A Miracle " First Nations Summer "
Joe:)

Well since I'm almost 4 weeks ahead of you on the flowering stage everyone should at least be able to gauge roughly how long theirs will take to finish outside since we'll know how long mine end up taking.. I'm going to try and get some pics up today since my new camera won't be here for a couple days yet according to the tracking..

BB

Irish Spring Or Ivory Soap- In Bar Form- Deterrent

Hi phoenix,

That box does make it a whole lot trickier to maneuver through the woods, I'm glad I don't have to do that again, haha. Thanks for stopping in.

Hi Joe,

I've taken care of the deer actually, but rabbits are still munching off a branch or leaf here and there. I patched up the fence and they haven't been able to get back in since. I like to use the natural fence, which physically stops them from getting to the plant, since in the past no store bought or home brew deterrent has ever stopped them, even in combination. In the fall when food is scarce they don't care what it smells like. The picnic basket is a great idea, I'll definitely use one next year.

Now time for an update, plants are starting to get big.

1-Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, this is one of the two that survived the initial planting, so they have been outside for 3 weeks longer than the test beans, topped, getting bushy.
2-Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, this is the other of the initial survivors, not topped, getting very big.
3-A female preflower on the plant in pic #2, good news. This is on the first set of nodes that ares showing alternating branching, the tenth from the soil line. They were also showing on the plant in pic #1, so more good news.
4-6 The test beans, Early Haze, looking very good so far. Can't really see any definite signs of genders, yet.

It just started raining here, they needed it. I top dressed with more Blood/Bone/Compost. As far as I can see, the bigger plants have just ran out of available Nitrogen, and I will need to give them some form of instant N here in the next few days to hold them of until the blood meal is available.

See you all around.

Hi; Take A Bar Of Soap ( Irish Spring Is Best ; it Contains Aluminium Silicate )
Drill Hole Through Soap And Tie Some Thick String Through It ( Aquarium Air Hose Is Best ;))
Next Pop A Hole In A Plastic Disposable Drinking Cup And Feed String/tube Through Hole Making A Umbrella For Your Bar Of Soap
This Will Prevent Is From Turning To Mush.
The Scent Will Deter Most Animals
Sonic Line Also Works Great , As Does Dog Hair Collected And Stuffed Into Some Old Torn Stockings .
Heres A Great U.K Outdoor Link ; http://www.twowests.co.uk

Hi BBill,

That is pretty sweet that you are a month ahead of mine, so I will know what to expect. I was just looking at your thread (nice plants by the way), and saw that it took about 3 weeks, or about 20 days since you switched the light to really start showing flowers. From what I can tell, mine have started flowering, but haven't shown any flowers yet, so I guess I could work backwards from when they do to find out roughly what date they started flowering on. Best of luck with your crop and thanks for stopping by.

Hi again Joe,

Thanks again for the advice. I hope your plants finish on time. These aren't taking any longer than normal to flower for me, I have never had a plant show flowers before August around here, but you are much farther north than I. The real kicker is how long they will take to finish. They've got about 10 weeks from now to finish, and I'm pretty sure they've already started flowering, so I'm not really worried.

I came up with a way to support the lower branch's. I got a bunch of S-hooks from the hardware store and spray painted them green. Then I connected two S-hooks together with green hemp twine. I put one S-hook on a branch, and the other S-hook on the branch on the opposite side of the stem, so that node pair branches support each other. One side holds up the other, and vice versa. Seems to work great, but we'll see.

I also found out why that one plant fell over. There is a huge rock just a few inches below the bottom of the hole I dug for her. Probably caused major tap root issues and it couldn't anchor itself very well. I took care of it and it is up-right again.

Weather hasn't been good lately. Coldest July in 60 years, and lots of overcast days. We haven't had a sunny day in a week, and it's supposed to stay like this for another week. Hopefully mother nature is getting all of this out of her now, and Sep and Oct will be beautiful =D

See you all around and thanks for reading.

that sucks about your weather. Id switch you if I could. We're in the middle of a blasting heat wave (100F or so daily), moderate humidity, and more sunshine than you can shake a stick at.

your cool, mild july would be ideal to support my indoor grow. instead, im battling heat, and you miss some sun. such a shame.

--------

I like that idea for the branches supporting themselves. Ive tried tying branches together like that, but it sounds like what youre using would be much more stable. When you are out taking some pics, you should get a nice shot of the hooks if you can.

Howdy Armoril,

I got a pic for you, nothing special, but it gives a better idea to what I was talking about. It's heated up here now big time, yesterday was over 90 F. Hope your plants turn out ok.

I took these pics last night with an older camera that I've never used before. My daughter supposedly through mine onto the hardwood floor, and it doesn't take pictures anymore =/. She loves anything electronic.

They're showing flowers. First pic is the top of the first male to show, he got chopped down to just four lower branches.

Top of the first female to show.

What she looks like.

What I've done to support branches on plants that were topped.

Last edited:
That's a great idea with those s-hooks.. I may try and find some smaller plastic ones and use that same idea indoors.. I imagine they must make them somewhere. The plant looks awesome, I'd love to be able to grow big outdoors like that! It may actually come to reality next season. A buddy of mine has 200 acres about an hour from me and I've been talking him up about it and last week was out casually spotting for locations.. I believe we found a few really nice ones.. We'll see!

Take care..

I'm Adding Supplemental Lighting On Cloudy Days

Hi Bobby Digital
I've Decided To Stick My Remaining Early Haze Under A 600 Watt Adjustashade
The Rain ( This Summer Is The Worst On Record So Far ) Is So Frequent I Have To Finish Mine Off Indoors
My Plants Have Already Had Issues With Botrytis , Namely A Few Grey-Black Stalks , Which Have Been Removed
Lots Of Air Circulation , Along With A Good Light Will Hopefully Rectify This Problem
Cannazym Helped Immensly In Terms Of Reducing Brown Tips , And I Have Finally Sexed My Plants ( I Started With Ten Seeds , And Have Four Nice Females , About Half The Size of Yours ):)
I Finished Off My MNS SSH Last Year Indoors , Without Any Problems
The MNS Shit I Grew Was Far More Resistant , And Finished Outdoors Under It's Own Steam ( Impressive Buds Too )
All Is Not Lost
Who Knows , Maybe We Are All Still Due A Heatwave , Which Would Be Nice
Fingers Crossed

Attachments

• Balls-Male- Rain- Cut Leaf Stump Rot-Killit.jpg
    Balls-Male- Rain- Cut Leaf Stump Rot-Killit.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Early Haze 3- Female- July28.jpg
    Early Haze 3- Female- July28.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • EH2 and EH5- Container Size Matters July29.jpg
    EH2 and EH5- Container Size Matters July29.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I wasn't even going to bother posting pictures with this weeks update, but I would really like some advice if anyone has some to offer.

This is the Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, the untopped one. She's really tall now, much taller than I am, I'd say something like 10'. This happened in just a week, last week when I went down there she was just fine, just showing a slight N def, so I hooked her up with a little bit of the 8-0-0. Something went terribly wrong, and now she has this going on. I think the pH of the nutrient dosage must have been way off, because now it looks like multiple deficiencies. I can't believe I didn't check it before I gave it to her, silly mistake. I'm pretty concerned because it happened so fast. Also, we aren't due for any real rain for at least another week, which I was hoping would help flush the soil. So I went down there and gave her a few gallons of straight water that I had sitting out for a few days. Hopefully it helps.

The plants that I have hardly fertilized look the best, so I figure it must be something I did, and I've decided to just let them all go natural from here on out.

I'm not an expert, so I could be completely wrong about what is happening here. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

This leaf is from almost half way up the stem, got me really worried. Not just an N def.

im havin som similar suitation wit my sk/hz

much props on the monsters dont worry much but i dont like those spots

this rain n cold n wet soil plus crazy temp i believe hav stressed n caused lockout of nutes

i hit her wit som liquid kelp n a bit of nitrogen i hav too say the sunshine n no rain for 3 4 days has made som great changes shes still strechin like a mofo n slowly showin more pistils not formin flowers yet

best of luck

1luvbigherb

hello BobbyD and folks,
absolutely splended show! BD!:D.

Crackn pics m8 and I hope all goes well finishing up wheather wise?..;)

#

Hi bigherb and pounder, thanks for stopping by.

The plants seem to be doing better, although they could use a good rain. I wish I knew exactly what is going on.

I chopped the last two males down today. Pollen was collected from the best looking of the two that sexed earlier, and was applied to my earliest and best looking female. Besides using the way that 1TC shared, I also chopped a few tops off and placed them inside in a glass of water over a sheet of paper. Both ways yielded pollen.

There is enough resin around the flowers that I could get my first real whiff of what it will smell like. Was very strange because it was like 5 or so different faint smells with none really overpowering, like a bouquet of flowers maybe.

I also noticed, dare I say it, spider mite's on a few of the plants. I've never had them outdoors here, and am wondering if they will become a real problem.

This is a picture of one of the males that was just chopped. My most indica looking plant by far. It was the only one to look like this without being topped, naturally only grew to about 5', with the lower branches growing to almost the same height as it's apical top. Strangely, this was also my last plant to show flowers. Too bad it was male.

00_EarlyHaze_Aug_21_09.jpg

Hi Bobby

great show man , these EarlyHazes look very nice, and that indy looking male looks amazingly compact in structure!

btw are you planning to spray with anything for the mites now its still early on?

Back