Butta Radio

Art for Arts Sake

I see 10cc is still touring 😲 I saw them June 1st, 1974, more than 50 years ago! It was at Madison Square Garden and they were the warm up band for the Johnny Winter Band.

10ccLIVE 73-74.jpg

It was a crazy show. They had kept stopping the show because people were hurling full beer cans at the stage like missiles. Others throwing fireworks from top deck. It was my first time at MSG. I'm pretty close to the stage, I was 19, tripping my balls off on LSD and had no idea what was going on except that I was about to die!

Johnny Winter Heats Up Madison Square Garden​

Saturday, 1 June 1974: Madison Square Garden, opening act 10CC

New YORK: Johnny Winter Is all that the American rock fan needs for an evening's entertainment, Johnny and a pack of beer, an opportunity to shake and shout, wave arms in the end and finish the evening by throwing the empty beer cans through a window............Some fans even chucked beer cans and the like on stage causing Winter to interrupt the proceedings with a warning that any more missiles and he would end the show there and then. It stopped although it didn't stop other factions inside the Garden from chucking lighted fireworks from the upper levels of this cavernous structure. Winter's decided he's there to entertain rather than educate.

The audience, which included brother Edgar sat at the side of the stage, loved every move he made.

- CHRIS CHARLES-WORTH.

Back