Breeding con la Calabrese Rossa

Rhizome

Ciao a tutti.

Da un po' lavoro su questo progetto.
Usare un maschio di Shantibaba con una femmina di calabrese rossa ( erba del diavolo, terronica, ionica o come la si voglia chiamare).

Solamente cercando e testando al momento tutto quello che trovo o amici mi mandano.

Molto difficile lavorare su qualcosa che non si conosce molto bene e che probabilmente ( per come era e lo ricordavamo) non esiste più.

Comunque...questo tutto quello che sono riuscito a metter insieme.

La storia dovrebbe incominciare nel 1931.
Non sono ancora molto convinto come sia successo ma dall'India L'orto botanico di Napoli ha tratto un ceppo di indica chiamato "il ceppo di Calcutta" per ricerche scientifiche dentro il centro.
Gli studi, inclusi interessanti analisi sul tasso di THC e intensità luminosa sono stati ampiamente pubblicati ( Giuliano e Siniscalco tra altri). Gli studi sul ceppo di Calcutta arrivano fino a al 2010.

Ma la storia della calabrese rossa nasce solo in un secondo momento e in qualche modo accidentalmente.

Solo negli anni '60 con "Pascalone e' Nola" tutto cambia.
Boss del Nolano, articolazione tra il napoletano e il casertano....Pasquale Simonetti controlla tutto il mercsto ortofrutticolo della zona, incluso traffico di sigarette di contrabbando.
A Pasquale piace fumare e piace mangiare:)

Non so bene ancora cosa esattamente sia successo. Forse qualcuno ha pensato di offrire a Pasquale un "omaggio" unico e molto speciale ( semi di indica, quando in Italia si fumava o conosceva solo la sativa).
Forse Pasquale ha scoperto che a Napoli si conservavano semi di cannabis.

Comunque la storia ufficiale é quella di un furto dai laboratori dell'orto botanico di Napoli semi del ceppo di Calcutta ( che era diviso se non sbaglio in 3 o 4 tipi per studi).

Tra gli anni -'70 incomincia a circolare nel Avellinese e Napoletano (Vesuvio) una varietà chiamata " la nana avellinese" o " la nana napoletana".
Una piccola paffuta pianta, che fioriva molto più velocemente delle altre, con effetti molto forti e sedativi.

In questa storia non c'è breeding, ma selezione naturale.
I semi trafugati sono stati coltivati, le piante si sono impollinate e per decadi la pianta é stata passata e cresciuta in questo modo, hybridizzandosi con le sative locali, tra se stessa e soggetta a selezione dei coltivatori ( che selezionavano come facevano con i pomodori).

Negli anni '70 casualmente la camorra non coglie le possibilità imprenditoriali, che invece la andrangheta considererà una grande opportunità.

Anche la Calabria non arriva a creare la calabrese rossa, ma come per il napoletano la pianta arriva per semi fumati, cresciuta e open pollination.
Si sviluppano così 3 tipi:
Il tirreno
Lo ionico
Lo strain Di Reggio calabria ( quello dell'Aspromonte)

Il resto é leggenda.

GOOGLE TRANS. OF THE ABOVE:

Hi everyone.

I've been working on this project for a while.
Use a male Shantibaba with a female red Calabrian (devil's weed, terronic, ionic or whatever you want to call it).

Just searching and testing at the moment everything I find or friends send me.

Very difficult to work on something that you don't know very well and that probably (as it was and as we remembered it) no longer exists.

Anyway...this is all I could put together.

The story should begin in 1931.
I'm still not very sure how it happened but from India the Naples botanical garden took a strain of indica called "the Calcutta strain" for scientific research within the center.
The studies, including interesting analyzes on THC levels and light intensity, have been widely published (Giuliano and Siniscalco among others). Studies on the Calcutta strain date back to 2010.

But the story of the red Calabrian was born only at a later time and somewhat accidentally.

Only in the 1960s with "Pascalone e' Nola" did everything change.
Boss of the Nolano, a junction between the Neapolitan and the Caserta areas....Pasquale Simonetti controls the entire fruit and vegetable market in the area, including trafficking in contraband cigarettes.
Pasquale likes to smoke and likes to eat

I still don't know exactly what happened. Perhaps someone thought of offering Pasquale a unique and very special "homage" (indica seeds, when in Italy people only smoked or knew sativa).
Perhaps Pasquale discovered that cannabis seeds were stored in Naples.

However, the official story is that of a theft from the laboratories of the botanical garden of Naples seeds of the Calcutta strain (which if I'm not mistaken was divided into 3 or 4 types for studies).

Between the 1970s, a variety called "the Avellinese dwarf" or "the Neapolitan dwarf" began to circulate in the Avellino and Neapolitan areas (Vesuvius).
A plump little plant, which flowered much faster than the others, with very strong and sedative effects.

In this story there is no breeding, but natural selection.
The stolen seeds were cultivated, the plants were pollinated and for decades the plant was passed and grown in this way, hybridizing with local sativas, among itself and subject to selection by the growers (who selected as they did with tomatoes) .

In the 70s the Camorra coincidentally did not seize the entrepreneurial possibilities, which the Andrangheta instead considered a great opportunity.

Even Calabria does not manage to create the red Calabrian, but as for the Neapolitan the plant arrives through smoked seeds, grown and open pollination.
Thus, 3 types develop:
The Tyrrhenian
The ionic
The Reggio Calabria strain (that of Aspromonte)

The rest is legend.

Boss of the Nolano, a junction between the Neapolitan and the Caserta areas....Pasquale Simonetti...

The rest is legend.

Pasquale Simonetti (Italian pronunciation: [paˈskwaːle simoˈnetti]; 26 February 1926 – 16 July 1955), known as Pascalone 'e Nola

Not sure how giving legendary seeds to a man who has been dead for years helps? :unsure:

Pasquale Simonetti (Italian pronunciation: [paˈskwaːle simoˈnetti]; 26 February 1926 – 16 July 1955), known as Pascalone 'e Nola

Not sure how giving legendary seeds to a man who has been dead for years helps? :unsure:

Many thanks for the comment!!!!

The thief of the strain is mentioned after the second world war ( I guess between 1945 and 1950?)... The change happened somewhere in the '60.....

Please don't give credit to all the text, is the bits that I collected until now and I am sure more I will discover and for sure discover wrong ( and In that respect probably a note should be done).
Simonetti and the family controlled the area where in the late '60 the dwarf version start circulating.( There again, at least one area where I could find the strain mentioned)...my assumption is that due to the area ( rural not urban) is more possible that him ( or some other....the official new is those of a thief after the second world war...I doubt this could happen without any crime organisation involved)
Simonetti also was the only boss who controlled all the fruit and vegetables market on the area, both production and distribution. And the control of cigarettes.

After the '55....but in general after the thief ....i guess all are assumptions.

I recently found ( hoping to have them) some grower from that specific area, claiming to have still crossed of the original gentics.
He claim the Calabrese rossa Is an Afghan plant ( as the onda calabra auto by Zoe seeds....NL XL x sila ruderalis there is little calabrese on it ) and the base of the crosses in Calabria.

The Calcutta strain is definitely recorded in several studies and the only indica arrived in Italy. Afghan strain won't arrive in Italy before '70-'80 and from Netherland...so the legend of the Calabrese rossa Is pre-holland.

Help me to investigate if you have time:)

GOOGLE TRANS. OF THE ABOVE:

Hi everyone.

I've been working on this project for a while.
Use a male Shantibaba with a female red Calabrian (devil's weed, terronic, ionic or whatever you want to call it).

Just searching and testing at the moment everything I find or friends send me.

Very difficult to work on something that you don't know very well and that probably (as it was and as we remembered it) no longer exists.

Anyway...this is all I could put together.

The story should begin in 1931.
I'm still not very sure how it happened but from India the Naples botanical garden took a strain of indica called "the Calcutta strain" for scientific research within the center.
The studies, including interesting analyzes on THC levels and light intensity, have been widely published (Giuliano and Siniscalco among others). Studies on the Calcutta strain date back to 2010.

But the story of the red Calabrian was born only at a later time and somewhat accidentally.

Boss of the Nolano, a junction between the Neapolitan and the Caserta areas....Pasquale Simonetti controls the entire fruit and vegetable market in the area, including trafficking in contraband cigarettes.
Pasquale likes to smoke and likes to eat

I still don't know exactly what happened. Perhaps someone thought of offering Pasquale a unique and very special "homage" (indica seeds, when in Italy people only smoked or knew sativa).
Perhaps Pasquale discovered that cannabis seeds were stored in Naples.

However, the official story is that of a theft from the laboratories of the botanical garden of Naples seeds of the Calcutta strain (which if I'm not mistaken was divided into 3 or 4 types for studies).

Between the 1970s, a variety called "the Avellinese dwarf" or "the Neapolitan dwarf" began to circulate in the Avellino and Neapolitan areas (Vesuvius).
A plump little plant, which flowered much faster than the others, with very strong and sedative effects.

In this story there is no breeding, but natural selection.
The stolen seeds were cultivated, the plants were pollinated and for decades the plant was passed and grown in this way, hybridizing with local sativas, among itself and subject to selection by the growers (who selected as they did with tomatoes) .

In the 70s the Camorra coincidentally did not seize the entrepreneurial possibilities, which the Andrangheta instead considered a great opportunity.

Even Calabria does not manage to create the red Calabrian, but as for the Neapolitan the plant arrives through smoked seeds, grown and open pollination.
Thus, 3 types develop:
The Tyrrhenian
The ionic
The Reggio Calabria strain (that of Aspromonte)

The rest is legend.

Many thanks to translate....
I posted in Italian thinking to find someone to exchange info from local sources ( if any).

He claim the Calabrese rossa Is an Afghan plant ( as the onda calabra auto by Zoe seeds....NL XL x sila ruderalis there is little calabrese on it ) and the base of the crosses in Calabria.

The Calcutta strain is definitely recorded in several studies and the only indica arrived in Italy. Afghan strain won't arrive in Italy before '70-'80 and from Netherland...so the legend of the Calabrese rossa Is pre-holland.

Help me to investigate if you have time:)

Hi Rhizome! :)

I suspect that Zoe Seeds 'Onda Calabra Autoflowers' are simply a marketing ploy to separate a person from their money.

Like most legend stories, there are some facts. For example, Hemp pollen has been found in southern Italy as far back as 4,500B.C. Not just a one shot deal but continuously up to today. There is much documentation of the Roman Empire raising Hemp in Italy for centuries.

Pasquale Simonetti ( 26 February 1926 – 16 July 1955), known as Pascalone 'e Nola ("big Pasquale from Nola"), was an Italian criminal of the Camorra, a Mafia-type organisation in Naples and Campania in Italy. His murder and, more specifically, the revenge killing by his widow Pupetta Maresca(d. 2021) of the man who ordered the murder, made headlines internationally and inspired a film, La sfida (The Challenge), by the acclaimed Italian movie director Francesco Rosi. Pasquale Simonetti died age 29. He could not have been given seeds in the 60's as he had been dead for years. However, legendary stories often have some mix up in the timelines.

It is also true that there was some cannabis research at the Botanical Garden of Naples with research done by botanist, Biagio Longo.

"The main setback for the spread of medical cannabis in Italy was that, while by the end of the 19th century its use in clinical practice was well established in several parts of the world, the popular Indian variety was difficult to find in the Italian market.In fact, the first experiences and studies in Italy regarding the cultivation of cannabis indica plants only took place in 1931 at the Experimental Facility for Medicinal Plants in Naples, under the direction of botanist Biagio Longo, the then prefect of the Botanical Garden of Naples. Therefore, given the general unavailability of cannabis indica at the time of his studies, Dr. Valieri tested the medical properties of several Italian varieties found in Casoria noting that, while the effects were the same as the ones experienced with cannabis indica, they required a doubling of the previously prescribed dose."

Here is where we run out of established facts and the legend begins. I suspect if there is any such strain as Red Calabrese around, then the only way to get it would be to have some very strong local connections. Being married to the Boss's daughter is always a good one. Being the Boss's son best friend is also good.

I hope you succeed in your search for the legendary Red Calabrese! :)

Longball

Last edited:
Hey ciao! Molto interessante, ho sempre sentito parlare della famosa "Calabrese Rossa" ma non sapevo niente delle sue origini. Se scopri qualcosa diccelo, sono molto curioso!
Grazie

Si certo,molto famosa in calabria,é chiamata cima rossa.
Tutt'ora cresce in calabria Ed é la piu famosa erba che puoi trovare sul posto!

Back