Are SSH, Jack Herer and Diesel the same thing?

Hi all,
Thanks for sharing all this info.
Nevil made his first crossings in the early '80s, the boys in Holland always told me it was in the year '84.
Now i have to admit an error that slipped into my mind. Thanks to Bigherb freshing up my memory i stand corrected.
The first strains Nevil made were indica crossings and he wasn't into making haze hybrids untill a few years later, so sorry it was my mistake, mixing that up.
I guess somwhere in the mid '80s the first Hz hybrids appeared. Only Nevil knows for sure but it is so many years ago, a year less or more is an easy mistake to make in a behazed mindframe.
Anyways, it was years before Nevil released them in seedform, that's for sure.
The hybrids released in seedform were only HzC hybrids cause HzA male died soon after the making of the first Hz hybrids.
The first Hz hybrids he ever made were passed to his friend J and J passed them to Bonk and Bonk kept them alive over the years.
Nevil started his seedbank years later, after he got the hybrids and Haze C male back from Bonk.
The hybrids 5HzA and Nevil Hz are the closest thing to HzA male.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
YS

Last edited:
hi BH and kashrocks,

after reading again Nevs posts on Haze aquisition dates , I see that Nevil did not get his Haze in 1985 like we wrote earlier.. This post from Nev below shows the date he made the deal with Sam and got his Haze was actually '84... :

Remember this was a deal in '84 for thousands of dollars between 2 guys strapped for cash.

For the record , Sam also said in some of his posts that he first met Nev and gave him haze genetics in '84..

Last edited:
Thanks to Bigherb freshing up my memory i stand corrected
Anytime unc

Thanks to Ot's like you and Nevil who share this inforamtion and dont forget important pieces of history like some others

1luvbigherb

hi BH and kashrocks,

after reading again Nevs posts on Haze aquisition dates , I see that Nevil did not get his Haze in 1985 like we wrote earlier.. This post from Nev below shows the date he made the deal with Sam and got his Haze was actually '84... :

For the record , Sam also said in some of his posts that he first met Nev and gave him haze genetics in '84..

Whether Sam landed at Schiphol in 84 or 85 is something I've never ascertained with any certainty - different sources give different dates. The written sources like Frank Bovenkerk and that De Tijd article say 85.

Maybe Jesse can answer this definitively because I believe he did some research into when Sam was bust in Santa Cruz and we know he left after that. I think the bust was early 85 but I gave up paying much attention to the Sam subject a while back.

1) how was nevilles first batch of haze superior to sams later offerings-ie purple haze? i ask because as Sam rightly said-incrossing the haze will lead to sub-standard results
2) Was it just luck of the seed Neville or did you hybridise the haze right away?

here is a pic of an oddball plant that i had mentioned.
it WAS a romulan diesel from ngsc
there were 3 different cuts, all pretty much took 60-65
after at least 3 different crops and cycles of taking clones, this plant showed up.
Im pretty sure this is what nev meant by jh,ssh, and diesel being from the same genetics. the original diesel (nl5hza diesel pheno cut[A5]) was used to create nycd. and that is quite apparenttly the truth when you see the haze characteristics in this descendant.
very sparse flowers, flat, triangle shaped, with an awesome smell.
i took the majority of this plant down 2 days ago, but a little at the bottom is finishing some seeds. i had taken a small branch as a tester, it dried for 3 days then i got impatient. it was wet, and tasted better than most finished herb, it burned pretty well, didnt have to keep lighting it either.

downloaded2-10-11446.jpg

downloaded2-10-11447.jpg

no one responded yet, but has anyone else had a clone deviate like this?

. the original diesel (nl5hza diesel pheno cut[A5]) was used to create nycd. and that is quite apparenttly the truth when you see the haze characteristics in this descendant.

Sorry but there's no A5 in NYCD and no hazy phenos.

NYCD is the 'Diesel' bagseed Soma got from Roger and grew into a female pollinated by the Afghan-Hawaiian male Soma got from Shanti. The initial release was an F1 but he worked it a bit more after that.

isnt there a chance that the diesel roger got wasnt sour diesel, maybe an a5 descendent or something like that. seems hard for you to dispute if the origins of nycd arent known, but the proof is in the plant i have in my possesion...

of course i could be mistaken...

I'm pretty sure whatever bag of buds Roger picked the seed(s) he gave to Soma from wasn't A5. It's much more likely to have been from a bag of the original Diesel AKA Headband AKA Daywrecker. If you grow NYCD it's a very indica leaning strain.

I've given this come thought now-check it out
someone got seeds from a chemdog bud(common)
Soma then goes on to use his Shanti gifted hawaiian/shiva male on her resulting female progeny-a legend is born-NYCD
Some upstate heads grow the Chem and it is "accidentally" knocked up by a Hawaiian/shiva male
a legend is born-Sour Diesel
close?

Nah, Soma comes along after the Diesels already existed.

That male he had was Afghan/Hawaiian, he crossed it to a female he grew from some seeds Rogers gave him from a bag of Diesel buds he smoked in NYC.

If you look back in this thread you'll find the lineages of the Diesels, i posted it at least once.

Help w/ IDing My Strain

Hi. I'm a production grower and other than some mandatory back crosses I avoid breeding every chance I can get ;) lol My challenge is to optimize my organic system to maximize the elite genetics that the artists in the breeders community pass on to us.

These are shots of a cut I've been working with. There's some confusion over whether it's an *original* Sour Diesel pheno or an original Diesel pheno. Maybe it's neither. There's a better than average possibility that it originated from one of the seeds that popped for a fellow named 'weasel'

The cut has been sold under the name Sour Diesel, has been popular w/ some self-described dispensary snobs down in LA and I could leave it at that. However, I don't want to perpetrate a falsehood to my peeps and am looking for some help in drilling down the true identity of the strain, if possible.

The nose is a sharp spicy skunk, black pepper, fuel, w/ roasted lemon undertones. The skunk increases intensity during cure but it is not an in your face skunk. It is not overly sour like some of the strains I've tasted. (ie The individual flavors amalgamate but skunk is the first flavor that hits the nose when a jar is opened. The pheno has more stretch than average.

Here's the cut in 4 growth stages:

veg_2-3-11.jpg

SD4.jpg

SD6a.jpg

SD_cu2.2.3.11.jpg

Last edited:
That's not the original Sour Diesel, too indica. Might be the Original Diesel/Headband/Daywrecker.

The Sour D I purchase in cured bag form is also MUCH more Sativa than that. It's just stacks of tiny teardrop calyxes, with little hairs coming out of the apex of the calyx. Not nearly as Indica as your pheno :) It smells a little like sandalwood with undertones of skunk and some sort of spice, almost like alien spice (indescribable). It has a creeper high to it that takes about 15-20 minutes after you smoke for it to REALLY set it, then you're completely blasted for like the next hour, with a parachute back down after that for another hour or so.

I would also give this particular cut of Sour D at least a 9 of 10 in hunger stimulation... lol :)

I have 4 different female cuts of SSH in flower right now, I'll let you know how comparable they are in about 6-7 weeks :)

Last edited:
I think I may have that specimen or some like it drying, ATM. I'll take a shot when I'm in the garden later today. I have another pheno that has the looser bud structure similar to what you're describing, Ouchie. bh- both phenos are definitely indica heavy. The sativa structuring/indica buds is interesting. Thanks for the help. I'll get back w/ the dried pics shortly.

Hi flwr,
I think Nevils original words about says it all. As was pointed out previously, many of these "new" strains start to take on a life of their own, as we've seen in the past many times with varieties such as "OG Kush", Trainwreck, Sour Diesal etc. Where varieties such as NL x Sk originally, are given new names, but which pick up a reputation based on the original genetics. Soon the new strain, based on name alone, becomes many varieties, and the name starts to sell more so then the genetics themselves. This has happened many times in the past, where as in the '90s for example everything was called White Widow in order to move it faster. If it was quality herb, it was called Widow, regardless if it was actually a standard Sk hybrid with no relation to the original. This is the case with the more popular, yet newer lines of today. New names, same old genetics.
This and some similar comments that I've picked up at the site must've finally sunk in last night, because during the course of taking these shots, it became clear to me that, short of a cannabis genome, (which I believe will be a reality), the task of tracing down the genetic ancestry of my ? strain is essentially a futile task. I came up w/ a solution. I'm going to market it as "The ClusterFuck formally known as Sour Diesel" or just "Clusterfuck" for short. :p LOL

The bottom line, from my standpoint, is that the cut has good aesthetics, it produces, it's the most potent plant that I've grown in it's class and the end users seem to like it.

Anyhoo-ha, here's a few more pics.
SD_CF1.jpg
lollipopped and trained to push growth to tips and increase cola/bud size. The current run is full open branching- expecting more buds, less cola size. Still working out best method to maximize g/w/m for cut.
SD_CF2.jpg
2 days away from final manicure and into glass. Buds haven't fully drawn in yet.

SD_CF3.jpg

SD_CF4.jpg
The smaller buds are dry and ready for cure.

Last edited:
Oh, how I love me some Jack...

pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4255-sj1.jpg

pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4254-sj9.jpg

pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4260-sj6.jpg

pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4258-sj4.jpg

pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4264-sj11.jpg

My Jack cutting has proven an exceptional breeder as well. Her structure, flavors and potency come through very reliably.

Super Tribal Jack - SJ x Tribal Vision ([Malawi x BB]x[Congo/Nepal x SPG/SWT#3])
pondelfthndside-albums-super-jack-picture4265-super-tribal-jack-super-jack-x-tribal-vision-day-77.jpg

I love me some of that shee-it too. That's some nice looking work ponde. Your Super Tribal Jack looks awesome.

Last edited:
Back