Kalamata

Hi Gert

since there is quite some info on some of the Greek landrace plants , here are some pictures from a greek landrace grown few years back under a couple of cfl's , it received a few weeks veg and was harvested around after 3 months 12/12 , and she still wanted another few weeks to fully ripen . For a long flowering plant it started off with quite broad leaves as you can see the pic from when she was really young , 1 week into 12/12. But later on when she started budding she become much more sativa looking and took a long time to flower.
she was half her life in 1,5 L, and then in 4L pot. I trully love her, although she wasn't something worth the wait, cause she was my first plant! she will have a special place, in my lungs! >:+)

1week into flowering :


after few weeks 12/12:








.............
 
Last edited:
Plant details







she yielded about half an oz, and even after 3 months of 12/12 was harvested pretty immature. but quite a heady one! A with nice fresh lemony and kinda spicy smell .
 
Last edited:
Hi Kazan,

Thanks for the pics, very helpfull. it's nice to see how broad-leafed they can be at the outset, quite comforting to know, just like my indica-looking "Kalamatas", I got a couple of close-ups in the album now.

All very interesting, and even though it's not all Kal, perhaps we can rename this thread to "Growing by the Aegean" ;)

Meantime, check out how the 303xKal is coming along. I think it looks great (textbook hazy sativa), although I'm a bit less optimistic about the smoke now. :(

picture.php


picture.php


There's a pic of the clone from the trifoliate branch in the album, too, I think I might just see how that one does under glass. Shame about the poor smoke results so far, this Kal has really "cured" some of the major headaches of the 303.
 
Hi Gert:)
Turunc- Marmaris , If I Am Not Mistaken Is On The Aegean Coastline ( One Can Take A Twice Daily Hydrofoil From Rhodes For A Day Trip ).
The Temperatures In Late May (2007 ) Were Reaching Upwards Of 40 Degrees :)
For A Bagseed Grow , I Found Whatever The Actual Strain Was To Be Very Easy To Grow , With A Very Minimal Amount Of Tending To Them Required
I Befriended A Ex Pat From London Who Had been Living There For The Last decade After Moving From Cypress , And Even Gave Him Some Dinafem Bubba Kush Seeds To Grow Up In The Hills There ( Unfortuneatly They Died Due To The High Temperatures And Fried To A Crisp :()
The Sheep And Goats Seemed To Be Able To Manouver Themselves Along The Cliff Faces With The Greatest Of Ease
Whilst There I Came Across The Ruins Of An Old Monastary Complete With Well , And Wild Plants That Resembled Cannabis ( I Had To Do A Double Take To Make Sure They Were'nt )
In Turunc Itself Sit Many New Condominiums Which ( On A Five Year lease ) Cost £2000.00 Per Year Inclusive Of Electricity (240 Volt ) , Private Pool , And Gardener
50 P For A Bottle Of beer , And £5.00 For A Pepper Steak With All The Trimmings.
Mould Was Not An Issue With These Plants Until November Up Here In Wales , And I Was Happy With The Overall Results Considering They Were Of A Non Pedigree .
Wishing You All The Best This Coming Up Season
Joe:)
 

Attachments

  • turkey8.jpg
    turkey8.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 4
  • turkey 35.jpg
    turkey 35.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 4
  • turkey 36.jpg
    turkey 36.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 4
  • turkey 62.jpg
    turkey 62.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Big Turk- July25.jpg
    Big Turk- July25.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P9130052.JPG
    P9130052.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P2200078.JPG
    P2200078.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 8
hi all

hey Gert,

Thank you for the nice 303xKal updates. Plant looks very nice and healthy , you are doing great job so far , she is a very beautiful and healthy sativa! I only hope the smoke results of this combination (303 + Kal) will be better than with the Disp cross. What differences have you noticed so far in the 303xKal compared to the pure 303? Is it any faster or any more compact etc?
Btw I was impressed too by the difference in growth during different stages from Kazan's Greek plant . It really looks very indica dominant in veg / beginning of flowering (even more indica than many sativa dominant strains like SSH at this early stage) but it really looks and grows more like a pure sativa as soon as flowers show up . It could be either some indica blood there too that was introduced at some point or it might just be the way this line expresses it self during veg and flowering after many generations it was acclimatized locally. I 've seen some african pure sats that grow like that , veg like an indica with broad leaves and flower like a sativa . BTW some african pure sats are quite fast as well , for pures..ie Durban Poison is one of the fastest sats , it takes ~11-12weeks to mature. I don't know if greek strains are any related to such africans but they have some similarities with some of the africans I ve seen.

Joe ,

Nice pics mate
thanks for posting them


Kazan,

Had a nice week at your place mate ,
how are the young ones doing ? Did that suspected-male Larisa show sex yet?
Btw nice to see pics from that greek landrace you had grown .


l33t
 
Last edited:
Gert Lush

Hi Kazan,

Thanks for the pics, very helpfull. it's nice to see how broad-leafed they can be at the outset, quite comforting to know, just like my indica-looking "Kalamatas", I got a couple of close-ups in the album now.

All very interesting, and even though it's not all Kal, perhaps we can rename this thread to "Growing by the Aegean"

hey there gert. you are welcome mate.

Kazan,

Had a nice week at your place mate ,
how are the young ones doing ? Did that suspected-male Larisa show sex yet?
Btw nice to see pics from that greek landrace you had grown .


l33t

hey l33t! the young ones are doing fine. they are entering the stage of massive growth now, and I think that in a couple of days I'll have to move them to the floor!
the "suspected" larisa male is still hiding well. but i have my eyes on him...he will meet a fast and painless death.... lol :P


ps: too stoned to write more! :cool:
 
Good info and nice pics, Joe, thanks!
The Sheep And Goats Seemed To Be Able To Manouver Themselves Along The Cliff Faces With The Greatest Of Ease
Yeah, I've seen those damn goats, they'll go anywhere, not good news for guerilla growers in the Med...

@l33t:
What differences have you noticed so far in the 303xKal compared to the pure 303? Is it any faster or any more compact etc?
Well, for starters, the leaf blades are a bit wider, as you'd expect. Everything else looks much faster, 10 days instead of 20 after flipping to show sex, and frankly, the 303 looks like this after two months, not one.

Like you, I'm really curious. As well as this main plant, I've also got two other teeny testers of 303xKal, all crammed in with the new "Kalamata" female (not to mention 4 pots of very vigorous NRM). Never had the drobe so packed before, amazingly everything looks nice and healthy...
 
yeah these goats can be real dangerous lol

thanks for the reply mate, its good to hear that the kal dad has tamed the 303 sativa a bit , I only hope they will need no more than 15-17weeks.
fingers crossed and lets hope the results are better with this cross. Also good to hear you put as many as poss in that drobe yet all seem healthy! Its amazing what a man can do with a single 250hps..if there is will there is a way I guess!Btw I didn't know you have 2 more phenos of this cross , thats good news.
Last thing I was wondering how they perform , is there good vigor compared to the Disp x Kal plants? Any noticeable smells yet?


Kazan,

nice to hear the Larisa plants are taking off now , hopefully in 6-8 days , all 5 Larisa seedlings should be sexed. lets hope 2 or three will turn female , are you gonna give the plants few hrs of sunlight daily to get used to natural lighting before taking em out?
 
I only hope they will need no more than 15-17weeks.
I'm willing to go till end of August, but I think they'll be done a bit before that.
Last thing I was wondering how they perform , is there good vigor compared to the Disp x Kal plants?
The Disp crosses were more vigorous, but that's just what I would expect. There's no way to compare the Disp's monstrous growth habit to the skinny 303.
Any noticeable smells yet?
Barely, but interesting. Should be more apparent in a fortnight or so, I'll let you know.

Meantime, I've just pollinated the "Kalamata" female of the second batchm - RIP male - only looking for 20 or so seeds, just as insurance, you know...
 
Hi gert

thanks for the quick reply and the info on the 303xkal vs 303.

Nice to hear you can finish em off even if they are slow.

Have fun and enjoy the weekend !

It would be nice to see a pic when you have time from the 'Kal' female.
 
Updates on the Larisa , they are the bigger 3 plants at the back , they were germinated a week earlier.
They are being taken to the terrace every day for 3hrs so they get used to the strong sunlight as they will be transplanted outdoors in a week.

Larisa_and_3_crosses_-_day_24_and_17_3_.jpg


Larisa_and_3_crosses_-_day_24_and_17_2_.jpg
 
303xKalamata starting to plump up a bit at 45-odd days (well it is a sativa).
Ripening from the bottom up, as it should, loads of reddish-brown pistils at the bottom. Reckon another 45 days should do it...

 
Last edited:
sweet be nice 2 hear some smoke reports. The greeks been smoking ganj
long time theres plenty of songs about hash waterpipes and jails hehehe
but the police there dun fuk around there more like marine assholes.
 
Hi All

Well, I have now chopped some of the Greek (notice I don't say 'Kalamata') weed and its crosses, so for the sake of completion I will state a few things: There are probably three parts to this post.

1) The allegedly Kalamata (indica-looking) seeds which I planted two of, back in the beginning of the year, and which really were the most mistreated :(

2) The first cross of the very sativa-looking Kalamata male which I crossed to the 303. This was the one that started somehow mutated (but strong) and gave the trifoliate.

3) Two more crosses of the above (303xKal) that I put in a single pot and started flowering about a month after the first one. These are still going.
 
1) Indica-looking 'Kalamata'

This definitely suffered the most abuse, put in to flower in a teeny pot as an afterthought. The levels of light it got were also very low, and I think it really needs its light to show off its potential.

At the end I got no more than two grams of bud off it.
On the plus side the smell of this plant was always gorgeous, right from the outset, with a very charming floral bouquet that veered off in various directions from time to time.

In the end it settled on a quite pronounced smell of Chios Mastic. Now, if you don't know that smell, it will be very difficult for me to describe it - imagine something like the most delightful mix of frankincense and Chiclets that you can imagine, and you may come close. It's really a very one off smell, I can't think of much to compare it to. I am also a complete sucker for that smell/taste; the best ice cream I EVER had was a mastic flavoured one which unfortunately I can no longer get hold of....

The taste was very nice too, certainly had something masticky to it, I'm not very good with tastes, but it was certainly very, very moreish....

The actual high itself was rather mild. Not unpleasant, dreamy, cool and mellow but not exceptional. The closest commercial high I can compare it to is probably something like Durga Mata. Fun chill weed for friends.

Not quite what I was looking for, but I'd gow this again
1) just for that magical mastic smell/taste
2) to give it a better chance to show what it can do.

I have however managed to get about 30-odd more viable-looking seeds (together with 6 I still have of the originals) so at some stage I'm sure I'll give it another go.
 
2) Trifoliate 303 x very sativa looking "Kal"

You will remember from the beginning of the thread that there was this ultra-sativa looking male for which we had a lot of hopes. Sadly, they don't really seem to be materialising, and if this line continues to disappoint it will be abandoned. Life's too short and there is too much GOOD weed to be grown :)

The growth habit of the cross was totally dominated by the 303, especially as it got a closer to maturity. I would have had a lot of difficulty distinguishing between a plain old 303 and this cross. Like the 303 and other extreme sativas, the buds on this plant mature from the bottom up. Unforunately, just like the 303 it was also quite picky on environment, and a temprary ventilation snag meant that I had leaves dying quite early (about 9-10 weeks) and generally it was not looking too clever (there are some pics in my albums). I therefore chopped it (I guess at about 11 weeks) which I think was too early for it, so any smoke report must reflect that.

OTOH, the smoke is really interesting. Sometimes you think it will be even better than 303, zingy, uppy and more cerebral but then it has this trick of making you feel depressed. Definitely wouldn't take it to a party LOL, but for stoners that like to explore the darker side occasionally, it's not bad. I'll smoke it, but it will take me a while to go throught that small jar as I don't think I fancy it too often. Other times you think it's done nothing, but then it hits you out of nowhere, again with a bit of a noir sidekick.

Considering that the 303 was nothing but positive, I must surmise that this weird, introspective, melancholy buzz is coming from the Greek side. I'll need to try the other phenos too, before I can make more comment.

The smell was OK, it certainly had the sativa, vaniila-and-Brasso chemical smell of the 303, but also something more dank, more sinister, without being skunky at all. Something like oleander, I suppose, or some rank weeds, perhaps even the faintest hint of datura pong, if you know it. Off-putting but intriguing at the same time.

So there you go - not a cross for everyone, LOL, yet despite what it may sound like I do enjoy smoking it, but in moderation. Too much of this I reckon would make you depressed. I can't help wondering if it would have improved had I left it for another 3-4 weeks.
 
3) Other 303 x sativa male phenos.

These two (in one pot) were at the same stage as the one above when I had to take them out of the drobe [due to a new grow, which couldn't wait]. I could have chopped it, but I decided to leave it in the porch. The days are getting shorter now, and I can see that another month won't hurt it. It should also give me a better idea of what this plant is like when ripe. That will be a novel experience...

The plant doesn't look too bad (again pics in my album) much better than the first one, less bolting, and more yield on the buds.

The smell is pretty much as I described so far: a nice chemically, fuelly yet sweet sativa keynote, with all sorts of slightly more sinister diturbing undertones. You know, like some plants that you touch by accident on a picnic, and think - "yuck". In a nice sort of way actually, if you like that kind of thing.

I will leave this one as long as I can, brfore trying it, probably to the end of August at least.
 
Hi Gert!

Hope you are doing well mate :)

Thanks for posting a detailed report on the plants from the various projects

The Masticky pure Greek sounds very interesting. I have noticed there can be some exceptional unique aromas in some local lines , varying from floral , fruity / herbal to more heavy smells , more 'dark' and 'sinister' as you described them. Usually there are lots of herbal undertones ranging from fresh cut grass , chamomile , tea to other local herbal smells usually accompanied with a strong pine smell, somewhat spicy and earthy but also 'fresh' , lemony / citrus like.

BTW I agree it would be nice to have given it the option to grow bigger n with more light in order to see its real potential but glad to hear there was something interesting and special at least in the taste/aroma department with this run. Also good to hear you made some seed from the male that came from the same seed batch.

The 303xKal sounds like a pure sativa , the male kalamata was very sativa looking so not surprised the cross ended up with fluffy/runny buds , I believe few more weeks might 'straighten out' the high a bit make it less depressing , more mellow . Cant wait to hear how the 2 other girls (303xKal) go , let em go the full way if you can and see if there is any positive result. Now you have already grown 3 different phenos from the first generation seed, do you think the greek side helped at all with the yield and finishing times of the 303 ?
Btw the Larisa plants we are testing out with kazan in his spot are doing really great , are huge beasts and quite vigorous plants. If they turn anything like the mother I found the seeds in , the end product should be really nice and with very interesting smells and tastes. Btw the one of the two Larisa is more sativa like while the other looks more indica , but they both look like sat/ind hybrids in terms of growth (unlike the kalamata male from the first batch that looks like a pure sat), will wait and see how these grow in flowering and then will be able to say for sure how they look like.

Thanks again for the detailed post , looking forward to hearing how the rest plant smoke when ready.
 
The Masticky pure Greek sounds very interesting. I have noticed there can be some exceptional unique aromas in some local lines , varying from floral , fruity / herbal
Yes, I noticed that too, even in the crosses of the first (sativa pheno) plant with those intriguing jasmine/honeysuckle tones I'm sure you remember I mentioned. It's so refreshing, especially as it's miles removed from the standard "skunky" smell of the commercial offerings.

The 303xKal sounds like a pure sativa
Sounds, looks and grows... it's just the "smokes" part that the jury is till out ;)

I believe few more weeks might 'straighten out' the high a bit make it less depressing , more mellow .
Yeah, I think (hope?) that this may be the case, too. 11-12 weeks was too early! If I leave it till end of August that will be more like 14-15 weeks... much better. I'll put up a bud pic in a few days, see what you think.

Now you have already grown 3 different phenos from the first generation seed, do you think the greek side helped at all with the yield
Yes, a bit.
and finishing times of the 303 ?
Hm, not really. About the same, in fact the Greek might take a tad longer.

Btw the Larisa plants we are testing out with kazan in his spot are doing really great , are huge beasts and quite vigorous plants. If they turn anything like the mother I found the seeds in , the end product should be really nice and with very interesting smells and tastes.
Can't wait to hear of those results. All the best. Have they started flowering properly yet?
 
FAO L33t, mainly



Here's a couple of close-ups of sorts, mate.
I reckon they're about 12-13 weeks there, the last two weeks out of the drobe and under glass. What d'ya reckon? Leave them under glass another month? LOL
 
Back
Top