New Skunk reviews

You are correct that skunk spray is a thiol, I just use the word terpene or terpenoid because that's the terminology everyone is familiar with as far as taste and smell these days. The big question is what combination of genes or cross is it that sets this whole thing free? The closest thing I grow that even resembles it is Chemdog D and she is my favorite smoke by far, perhaps line breeding to the D with a nordle, or devil male will eventually crack the code. Truth is, I don't care how it comes about, I just want it back desperately.

I think that this is going to be complex and secondary and not a simple matter of having genes that make the skunky thiols. As a slightly tangential bit of reasoning, the similarity in structure between grapefruit thiol and alpha-terpineol makes me wonder if terpenes (or perhaps terpene alcohols) may compete with other pathways, producing the fruity thiols over the pungent ones. The sulfur stuff in plants afaik is all from cleavage from the sulfur-containing amino acid-derived stuff.

I’m not into brewing, but you are very correct that it is a bounty of related information. Thiols in beer brewing are often inactivated, and require fermentation to become the free form that has the characteristic odor. So perhaps the modern methods of drying and curing the cannabis has changed. It’s also true that thiols are highly volatile, and most containers don’t contain them for long, but we all remember that the afghan skunk spray buds didn’t just loose their odor… but some research here might uncover something.

I find the Malawi Cobb curing to be a fascinating idea, one I’ve never done, for what that’s worth. But what if there is a fungal/bacterial aspect to the skunk smell? Perhaps, like beer, some microorganism unlocks the thiols, and some programs are not supporting those organisms or they have died in the environment. I don’t have any direct evidence of this but it’s interesting speculation.

The skunk we had back in the 90's was straight skunk to the max and it didn't matter if it was grown in soil or hydroponics the smell reeked so bad it was a major security risk as we did not have any carbon filtration. TBH, I am not sure using carbon filtration with negative pressure would have conquered it the smell was so intense. Too many heart pounding paranoia days when getting home from work and getting out of my truck only to smell pole cat getting more and more intense walking to the front door. Open the screen door to unlock the dead bolt and it was Katie bar the door because the whiff of skunk would hit you in the face like a ton of bricks and have you peeping over both shoulders to see who was watching. As for fungal or bacterial aspect of the skunk smell I cannot say, all I know is the seeds all grew virtually identical and we considered it a true breeding varietal because of all of them being so similar and they all smelled of pole cat. Some were a little more earthy than others and turned purple, but the best were always lime green with sticky resin coated buds that would burn your eyes and make your nose run when manicuring. Oh those were the glory days!

Last edited:
The skunk we had back in the 90's was straight skunk to the max and it didn't matter if it was grown in soil or hydroponics the smell reeked so bad it was a major security risk as we did not have any carbon filtration. TBH, I am not sure using carbon filtration with negative pressure would have conquered it the smell was so intense. Too many heart pounding paranoia days when getting home from work and getting out of my truck only to smell pole cat getting more and more intense walking to the front door. Open the screen door to unlock the dead bolt and it was Katie bar the door because the whiff of skunk would hit you in the face like a ton of bricks and have you peeping over both shoulders to see who was watching. As for fungal or bacterial aspect of the skunk smell I cannot say, all I know is the seeds all grew virtually identical and we considered it a true breeding varietal because of all of them being so similar and they all smelled of pole cat. Some were a little more earthy than others and turned purple, but the best were always lime green with sticky resin coated buds that would burn your eyes and make your nose run when manicuring. Oh those were the glory days!
Can you document more? Like where the seeds came from, how they were grown, trimmed, cured. Bc I totally get what you mean. I don’t expect the genes are gone, bc skunky pot was a common thing…. So if something else has happened maybe… I mean, maybe foreigners don’t know what a skunk smells like and selected for safety or appeal… but maybe it is something else

Come harvest we'd purchase full grocery bags- the old brown paper kind for $50. Everything was so much simpler then. Ha, sheets of acid went for the same price- 50 hits. I liked the bag appeal, the stickiness and the initial high but didn't like the drag on the backend. Like deflating a balloon leaving you with no energy or motivation. It did reek, seriously. We burned lots of Champa back then and patchouli oil prevailed. In 87, I overnighted a batch of Oregon's finest to NY. My friend had to put it in mason jars and store it in a trunk in the attic.
skunk ess.jpg

Humboldt novelty circa 1985
IMG_3915.jpg

mu

The skunk we had back in the 90's was straight skunk to the max and it didn't matter if it was grown in soil or hydroponics the smell reeked so bad it was a major security risk as we did not have any carbon filtration. TBH, I am not sure using carbon filtration with negative pressure would have conquered it the smell was so intense. Too many heart pounding paranoia days when getting home from work and getting out of my truck only to smell pole cat getting more and more intense walking to the front door. Open the screen door to unlock the dead bolt and it was Katie bar the door because the whiff of skunk would hit you in the face like a ton of bricks and have you peeping over both shoulders to see who was watching. As for fungal or bacterial aspect of the skunk smell I cannot say, all I know is the seeds all grew virtually identical and we considered it a true breeding varietal because of all of them being so similar and they all smelled of pole cat. Some were a little more earthy than others and turned purple, but the best were always lime green with sticky resin coated buds that would burn your eyes and make your nose run when manicuring. Oh those were the

glory days!
i think you gotta go back to narrow leaf afghan/xinijang/north east iran for true sulfur/aldehyde volatile skunk hit with the garlic/onion terps in guerrero green. calcium oxalate also plays a part as skunk cabbage has high calcium oxalate, if youve ever broken out or got flush from breaking up bud, thats what its from. i had this reaction when breaking up gelato 33, and whats interesting is this article about sulfur compounds in cannabis with gelato being highest tested. with the most recent findings on psycoactive cannabis 2 basal areas have been discovered in china- the xinijiang area which is the home of muslim chinese ughyurs who have been persecuted and driven out by the han starting in 1900s. a theory has always been that while fleeing with their nld heirloom lines, they became amalgamted with the broad leaf hindu kush types. remnants of those nld lines can still be found in northern afghan lines which have eudsmol and guiaol, oxygenated sequiterpenes which serve as markers for these basal nld hashplants. by looking at the maternal haplotypes in china below the western area between 30 and 40 is extremely diverse.

1657376704312.png

1657376134610.png1657376204528.png

1657376307490.png

Can you document more? Like where the seeds came from, how they were grown, trimmed, cured. Bc I totally get what you mean. I don’t expect the genes are gone, bc skunky pot was a common thing…. So if something else has happened maybe… I mean, maybe foreigners don’t know what a skunk smells like and selected for safety or appeal… but maybe it is something else

The year was 1988 and the seeds made their way from Cali to TX via a biker who made the trip south to visit my friends dad bringing with him a backpack full of the skunk. My friends old man kept as many seeds as he could find from the flower as he already grew several different varietals from S.S.S.C. ie: m39, m27, m39 xskunk1 and he also grew Seedbank strains from Nevil like hashplant, NL5 x NL2 and garlic bud from the 89' catalogs which are the catalogs I possess to this very day. He grew the skunk all through the early to mid 90's until he passed away in 97' and that's when my buddy and his brother who lived in the Austin area took their favorites and did their best to carry on their dad's legacy. The skunk was grown in a 50/50 perlite and vermiculite mixture in what we called a poor mans hydro set up with a kiddie pool and air stones and I also saw it grown in cheap Walmart potting soil as well under four 430w son agro bulbs. It was trimmed wet a few times, but most of the time it was hang dried in a dark bedroom for about 2 weeks before it was manicured. Neither wet trim or dry trimming affected the essence neither did growing it in soil or hydroponics, it was always the exact same smell and taste and nothing else to mistake it for. The 2 best phenotypes my buddy kept from the last batch of seeds he got to start from the original seeds grown were a complete P.I.T.A. to get to clone because the stems were huge open hollow and would snap the second we tried sticking them into rockwool. It was before we knew a technique like soaking them in water to get the stems firm and turgid and unfortunately that's when he lost the best lime green phenotype and was stuck with the earthy skunk purple phenotype. After the loss of the lime green cut, our desire to grow the other phenotype eventually waned completely, not because it wasn't good, but because the yield was so much smaller on the purple phenotype and because of the security issues associated with the intense smell and not being able to sleep at night, she eventually was lost. We did have some of the original seed that was saved and in about 2003 we tried to crack them but they would stick a tap root out only to fizzle out and die, never completely coming out of the shell. I sent the remaining 20 or so seeds to my buddy Beancounter in 2007 and the same thing repeated for him, seeds would crack and tap root barely stick out, but never could get going. He tried scuffing them, soaking them etc, but to no avail, they were obviously too old. We were not the only group that had real skunk around our area either. Friend of ours had a friend who grew Sensi Seeds super skunk late 90's and also grew pole cat from Sagarmatha late 90's and both had the skunk smell and taste but when I ordered from Sensi and Sagarmatha and the Dutch Passion ultra skunk around 2005 in hopes of finding the skunk again, there was no pole cat skunk in any of these seeds, the dutch had ruined it and it was fruity sweet like skunk1. I can't say whether or not the genes are completely extinct, hopefully it's out there somewhere but I can say for certain it's nowhere to be found in any of the dutch seed varietals.

i think you gotta go back to narrow leaf afghan/xinijang/north east iran for true sulfur/aldehyde volatile skunk hit with the garlic/onion terps in guerrero green. calcium oxalate also plays a part as skunk cabbage has high calcium oxalate, if youve ever broken out or got flush from breaking up bud, thats what its from. i had this reaction when breaking up gelato 33, and whats interesting is this article about sulfur compounds in cannabis with gelato being highest tested. with the most recent findings on psycoactive cannabis 2 basal areas have been discovered in china- the xinijiang area which is the home of muslim chinese ughyurs who have been persecuted and driven out by the han starting in 1900s. a theory has always been that while fleeing with their nld heirloom lines, they became amalgamted with the broad leaf hindu kush types. remnants of those nld lines can still be found in northern afghan lines which have eudsmol and guiaol, oxygenated sequiterpenes which serve as markers for these basal nld hashplants. by looking at the maternal haplotypes in china below the western area between 30 and 40 is extremely diverse.

View attachment 61897

View attachment 61894View attachment 61895

View attachment 61896
What about North Indian Indica? Tom Hill was supposed to release this line and he said that's where he believed the skunk to have originated from but he never released the line.

What about North Indian Indica? Tom Hill was supposed to release this line and he said that's where he believed the skunk to have originated from but he never released the line.
yea with an area of primal cannabis with so much diversity im sure there is skunk to be found. but i would think that higher humidity and elevation areas may not be condusive to the sulfur/volatile aldehydes. in fact several high sulfur plants like skunk cabbage and durian are exothermic creating their own heat early in mid winter to thawfirst and increase the volatility of odors.
normally a plant will have these vocs for defense but more so to attract pollinators attracted to carrion-specifically beetles. acidic media low oxygen environments also help. ive always thought that the rks in uncle fester skunk 18 could have been preserved or increased during the torture tests done in cali for the pest resistant line. i dont think something like that could create skunk smell rather that indoor growing over generations of seed can neutralize it. possibly why areas like florida swamp maintained the qualities of haze or skunk.

Perhaps you already know this, but in case you dont, many growers have reported a roadkill skunk smell in MNS Devil.
If Im not mistaken someone said that Nevil posted once that Devil was the strain he'd go to if he was to ever try recreating
the roadkill.

Perhaps you already know this, but in case you dont, many growers have reported a roadkill skunk smell in MNS Devil.
If Im not mistaken someone said that Nevil posted once that Devil was the strain he'd go to if he was to ever try recreating
the roadkill.

I am aware of many growers finding skunky smells in the Devil line and I have read most, if not all of Nevil's posts but I don't remember reading him say that he would use Devil if he was to ever try recreating RKS. If you can find that post, please copy and paste it here for us as we need all the skunk recommendation or documentation possible. There is no knowledge that is not power! I am aware of the afghan T being the source of the good skunk from the maple leaf indica line Nev originally received from Jim Ortega and according to Shantibaba, the afghan T is in Nordle but the reports I read about Nordle never say RKS pops up. Not saying there aren't skunky plants that are in there, but the majority of the smoke reports do not lean the skunk direction. I think 10 packs of Devil is probably going to be the place to start for me and with a decent sized population, hopefully I can find something close to what I desire.

I am aware of many growers finding skunky smells in the Devil line and I have read most, if not all of Nevil's posts but I don't remember reading him say that he would use Devil if he was to ever try recreating RKS. If you can find that post, please copy and paste it here for us as we need all the skunk recommendation or documentation possible. There is no knowledge that is not power! I am aware of the afghan T being the source of the good skunk from the maple leaf indica line Nev originally received from Jim Ortega and according to Shantibaba, the afghan T is in Nordle but the reports I read about Nordle never say RKS pops up. Not saying there aren't skunky plants that are in there, but the majority of the smoke reports do not lean the skunk direction. I think 10 packs of Devil is probably going to be the place to start for me and with a decent sized population, hopefully I can find something close to what I desire.
Read somewhere that sharkshock has skunky smells

Read somewhere that sharkshock has skunky smells

Shark Shock definitely has thrown off some skunky smelling plants when I ran them. The best I found in that line were the skunked out phenotypes. Considerable better than the sweet fruity ones that didn't seem to transfer the taste into the smell like I wanted and the widow phenotypes were super resinous and had a very sour smell, but didn't make the keeper list like the skunky plants.

Check out the Shark Shock thread from TGTDE. He has some really nice looking plants that are very well grown and rewarding him exceedingly. Here is one of the last post in the thread just to lend veracity to what you just said about the Shark Shock.

Decided to sniff the gals moments ago (before heading to bed) and I had to make a pit stop here to tell you about two of them cause the intensity is rising impressively!!

Shark Shock 6 - HOLY FUELLLLL with a skunkiness to it. It took me a minute or two to figure out if the borderline repulsive smell was intense skunk with a hint of fuel, or vice versa. I’ve concluded it’s definitely smack you in the face fuel with a hint of skunk. This excites me cause the only fuel smelling flower I’ve smoked was Sour Deisel from an online dispensary and I really like the effects of it.

Then I felt up Shark Shock 3 - I’ll keep this one short, holy fricken sweets!! Such a sweet, candle like smell to this girl. I can’t wait to see how she finished and eventually smokes.

Check out the Shark Shock thread from TGTDE. He has some really nice looking plants that are very well grown and rewarding him exceedingly. Here is one of the last post in the thread just to lend veracity to what you just said about the Shark Shock.

Decided to sniff the gals moments ago (before heading to bed) and I had to make a pit stop here to tell you about two of them cause the intensity is rising impressively!!

Shark Shock 6 - HOLY FUELLLLL with a skunkiness to it. It took me a minute or two to figure out if the borderline repulsive smell was intense skunk with a hint of fuel, or vice versa. I’ve concluded it’s definitely smack you in the face fuel with a hint of skunk. This excites me cause the only fuel smelling flower I’ve smoked was Sour Deisel from an online dispensary and I really like the effects of it.

Then I felt up Shark Shock 3 - I’ll keep this one short, holy fricken sweets!! Such a sweet, candle like smell to this girl. I can’t wait to see how she finished and eventually smokes.

Thanks for the shout out and compliments!

I was just randomly checking this thread out and was thinking I need to ask if anyone else has found skunk in Shark Shock. I definitely have a couple skunky girls. I do think the “hint of skunk” wasn’t a very accurate description of just how skunky she actually is. After all it did take me a while to
figure out if it was intense fuel or skunk making my eyes squint after rubbing a sugar leaf. But who knows I could be interpreting it wrong. If only I had some elder Vets in the area to come be consultants..

I have started to worry that I’m going to one day stumble across some incredible church / piff / RKS pheno and not even know it before letting her die off. I feel like having no personal experience with any of the legendary strains is going to make it hard to know what I may have until it’s too late!! I’d hate to miss out on the opportunity to share such a special plant with the community (via cuts) even if it took some revegging. I need to find some local cannaisseurs asap!

Last edited:
@triceratops I know this isn't what you want to hear BUT (I hate that too) I've grown a whole lot of Critical Mass. Really a lot! It throws out some real stinkers. The kind that makes you sick to smell it. So much so that the air scrubbers could barely keep up with it. Rubbing the stems in veg made me sick. Glass jars couldn't contain the smell. I had to heat the jar slightly so that it would cool and seal in the smell. Awesome smell, great bag appeal, onset of smoking would rip your head off then leave you burnt and smoldering on the couch.

@triceratops I know this isn't what you want to hear BUT (I hate that too) I've grown a whole lot of Critical Mass. Really a lot! It throws out some real stinkers. The kind that makes you sick to smell it. So much so that the air scrubbers could barely keep up with it. Rubbing the stems in veg made me sick. Glass jars couldn't contain the smell. I had to heat the jar slightly so that it would cool and seal in the smell. Awesome smell, great bag appeal, onset of smoking would rip your head off then leave you burnt and smoldering on the couch.
convinced me to pop the critical mass
i think its funny using these types for daytime smoke,
baked into deep meditation,
going around aboot ya day,
and seeing how funny things are with everyone not baked,
and thinking how much better everything would be,
if all these people were critically massed

Back