Kalamata

L33t

Well-known member
Hi all

Here is a male that came from some of the Greek landrace sativa seeds I collected early this year , the seeds were selected by a good friend who has smoked most of the local landrace genetics so the seeds were selected purely for the quality of the smoke , from a growers perspective they can be difficult to tame as are outdoorgrown for many generations and were never bred for indoors , but my mate who I gave him some to test and is growing them at the moment seems to be doing a fine job ;) here he is , this is the most sativa looking male which was kept to dust various selected females , pure sativas and hybrids and will be also crossed to the female Neville'sHaze .

KalamataMale.jpg


KalamataMale2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hey L33t,

Nice work indeed collecting those genetics,will also be interested to hear what you do with him!


I had no proir knowledge of Greek Lanraces Sativas.Can i ask how big they get in the wild?flowering times?yeild?...also how is the effect from the wild plants?



Sice you mention it,i'm also the process of tracking down some old skool Sativa seed.Ive heard you guys talking a bit about it here of late as well which also got me thinking.With any luck i have two sources who may be able to help.One guy collected most of his genetics from people/bagseed while working on tuna boats over 30 years ago and grew out the same genetics in the tropics on a year around basis for over twenty years so i 'm thinking there might be a few keepers!?.

Also i have some seeds somewhere(i really hope) from this Sativa which was kept in the same aresa of aus for a long while.grew it out a couple of years ago and was most impressed i gotta say.From my limited knowledge anyway i'm fairly sure it's safe to say she was Sativa dominant...if not 100% but was a very fast flowering line for a sativa if it was indeed one?.
 

Attachments

  • IMGP1267.JPG
    IMGP1267.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP1310.JPG
    IMGP1310.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP1306.JPG
    IMGP1306.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMGP1235.JPG
    IMGP1235.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi all

Here is a male that came from some of the Greek landrace sativa seeds I collected early this year , the seeds were selected by a good friend who has smoked most of the local landrace genetics so the seeds were selected purely for the quality of the smoke , from a growers perspective they can be difficult to tame as are outdoorgrown for many generations and were never bred for indoors , but my mate who I gave him some to test and is growing them at the moment seems to be doing a fine job ;) here he is , this is the most sativa looking male which was kept to dust various selected females , pure sativas and hybrids and will be also crossed to the female Neville'sHaze .

KalamataMale.jpg


KalamataMale2.jpg

nice looking plant man,
cant help but notice how much he looks like a Nevilles Haze in veg,hope he turns out be be a good one.
inbreed those greeks seeds a couple times to see if they are consistent
in their growth patterns...
good luck

scorpion
 
I was thinking similar actually Scorpion, but I believe sativas are grown regularly in that part of the world and some very select plants may in fact be able to claim a very long history in the area.


Keep up the good work L33t :)
 
Last edited:
Hi all

Hiya Scorp, hi JessE :)

They really look like Nevs indeed ! so I m not the only one to think of that lol .High is similar too.
infact they look like the more Thai NH plant I had , the male one.

Kalamata is located in central/southern greece and its worldwide known for the production of the finest olives an olive oil , soil and climate allow for perfect maturation . Cannabis from that area is considered to be of the finest and selected local stuff is also exported , some even make it to Holland but its sold under diff names most of the time as all export and any drug trade/offense is highly illegal etc in greece and laws are harsh etc so everyone stays low ..
Thats why not many people dont really know these great genetics , all locals do though even if they do not smoke.I remember Breeder Steve was interested in moving his breeding facilities down there for the excellent weather and sunshine but due to harsh laws he said he finally chose swiss at the time.
Anyway the kalamata strain is grown for the amazing trippy up high it has , its some of the most intense rushy psychedelic highs though the high is not the most long lasting , usually lasts like 1.5-2.5 hrs, feels longer though , time perception is distorted along with sound and vision.Its a real mood changin herb and always gives those uncontrollable laughing attacks ( which I have to say is something I find to bit true with the nevs girl I have atm). Personally I find that these plants hold the fine qualities of the best landrace sativas and they are acclimatized for hundrends of years and finish quite fast.

I was always interested to try to find what the origins of these landrace sativas are , so I had posted a thread over ic (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=60136) asking for people to help identify the origins , by sharing their input and comments regarding the characteristics and the similarities they see with other strains like Thais etc.Most greek strains have a pine/lemon but and other aromas in the mix , can be meaty and there are also some roasted coffee bean smell undertones as well. But its overall pine-cone and fruity-citrus like.Flowers are long but compact, like with some african sativa strains , and the flowering times and structure also resembles some of these fast sativas . Me and others can also detect mainly Thai and maybe SAmericans , like Brazilians or Colombians. A grower over ic said judging from the looks , he believes these are Thai genetics that where acclimatized in the area of Ethiopia , many speculations and there can be multiple truths as the Kalamata has been in an area that has been an active exchange trading center/port for thousands of years and its only natural that many different genetics have made it there.
By the description I had given Shanti about the plants , seeds (big , light , no stripes/spots whatsoever) , flowers and smoke & effect description he mentioned that its a Thai I m describing but not all.These plants finish Sept/Oct at 37o and they are grown in dry , very hot areas that during July can have temps that go even up to 40-45c during July/August.There are both plants that give green (light lime green) flowers and there are some that give flowers with a deep red hue when the flowers are done.Similar high , greens are bit more up in the high usually tho the reds can be more strong and long lasting .

funnily there was a report over CW about Kalamata . dont have the post but goes like this ,..so there was this guy from Oz who used to buy lots of imported sativas during 70s and 80s and he used to go to an open market to buy where always tons of fresh stuff arrived . He said there was some of the finest cannabis sold there , from S Americans, Africans to Nepalese temple balls and Thai sticks of the highest quality , etc .. etc..
So he sees a bag labeled Kalamata Red and he went to ask the guy as it was priced twice as the rest , and he was told to try some and see for himself .. Long story short he reported it to be some of the best smokes , up to par with the finest cannabis of the time and to be honest I was surprised to read such a report as I didn't really believed these genetics were sold abroad back then and would have made it so far , as the production is bit limited from what I know . I didn't know that they were world famous back then and I sure didn't expect to read about Kalamata on a forum , as literally there no serious info on greek strains online and most greeks that post online grow only hybrids.. And those(old/aged farmers) that cultivate the landraces don't usually have internet at home lol Anyway one thing is certain there are definitely some hidden gems to be found so I am on a long Quest :D
 
Last edited:
Hey L33t,
Nice work indeed collecting those genetics,will also be interested to hear what you do with him!
I had no proir knowledge of Greek Lanraces Sativas.Can i ask how big they get in the wild?flowering times?yeild?...also how is the effect from the wild plants?
hi mate

thanks for dropping by , nice plants and pics mate .
To answer your q , the Kalamata plants usually yield massively there . There are many plants growing wild , but the ones that are cultivated from farmers , same or pretty similar lines basically , are usually better as they have been grown with care and have been fed/watered properly . They are planted Feb/March or Apr the lastest depending on location as some areas are up high and have winter frosts (usually there temps can drop to -15c , even down to -25c). By mid Sept/early Oct that they are harvested they have become 2.5-5m tall and yield from 500g up to 2kilos per plant depending on soil quality and how frequent you water as they are grown in dry climate areas and it rarely rains for the 3 summer months.
 
Last edited:
Hi L33t,
really looking forward to watching your progress with this project man, i'm buzzin for you mate,
the male looks really good, crossed with the Nev's should produce something exciting,
are you gonna cross it with the female cutting you and Herbalizor has or select another NH female(s)?
can't wait to see the results

peace
Herb
 
Hey L33t!:),


Yeah nice work relaying the story there mate(alli know was they had some big fires somewhere in Greece not too long ago,must hav toasted a few of the 'wild' girls?)Anyway going to check out that thready you mentioned now too!.

Bye the way thanks i'm glad you liked the look of the plants i threw up.Did NOT intent to buggar the thread up ect!.It was late and ive been hangin for my crop ect:D.Wont happen again:cool:.


Anyway looking forward to seeing your results 2.
That nev cross sounds like a winner i saw the buds you got from her recently i beleive.....thought about that more than a few times!



cheers,
gm
 
Happy New Year!

Hi gang,

As a holder of the male K clone in question, I am pleased to say that some crosses have already yielded fruit... er seed that is. No bud has been sampled yet, but we'll get there.... ewentchually [best Manuel voice].

In particular it has been crossed with the following, which are some of my favourite keepers.

NepJam: Yeah, I just love cerebral weed. This one should bulk it up a lot and also quicken flowering times. It would have been my next run, except that I've discovered something even better based on NepJam, and so I've put it on a slight back burner.

303: This is my favourite pick-me-up, "feelgood" weed, based on Papuan and Polynesian genetics. Had it around for some time should be an interesting cross. Unlike the above, here I expect the Kalamata to tame the other crazy sativa.

NL5Haze cross: This is my crazy, super-robust, ginger smelling monster, which I call "The Dispensation". Incredible vigour, extremely pleasant smoke, almost as good as the NH but oooh-so-easier to grow out. I've actually got a couple of tiny test-plants ready to flip, so this will probably be the first cross I'll sample.

Nev's Haze:Well, yeah, had to, didn't I? A teeny handful of these seeds should be nice and brown in a fortnight.

More as it happens...

All the Best in the New Year for all your grows!
 
Hi gang,

As a holder of the male K clone in question, I am pleased to say that some crosses have already yielded fruit... er seed that is. No bud has been sampled yet, but we'll get there.... ewentchually [best Manuel voice].

In particular it has been crossed with the following, which are some of my favourite keepers.

NepJam: Yeah, I just love cerebral weed. This one should bulk it up a lot and also quicken flowering times. It would have been my next run, except that I've discovered something even better based on NepJam, and so I've put it on a slight back burner.

303: This is my favourite pick-me-up, "feelgood" weed, based on Papuan and Polynesian genetics. Had it around for some time should be an interesting cross. Unlike the above, here I expect the Kalamata to tame the other crazy sativa.

NL5Haze cross: This is my crazy, super-robust, ginger smelling monster, which I call "The Dispensation". Incredible vigour, extremely pleasant smoke, almost as good as the NH but oooh-so-easier to grow out. I've actually got a couple of tiny test-plants ready to flip, so this will probably be the first cross I'll sample.

Nev's Haze:Well, yeah, had to, didn't I? A teeny handful of these seeds should be nice and brown in a fortnight.

More as it happens...

All the Best in the New Year for all your grows!

Hey Gert!

Great to see you again mate!

Glad the Kalamata male is still alive and going and you'll have some seed soon. I was wondering do you happen to have any new pics from it ?

By the way here are some pics from some very good greek landrace sativa genetics I came across during the last couple of months and thought to share with you all.
Few details about the flowers . These are from lowland sativa plants that were outdoor grown in Central Greece (mainland) at ~39°N close to a town called Larisa, and produces quite trichome covered flowers as you can tell from the pics. The buds seem that they were harvested on time and there are lots of cloudy/ambers.The samples in the pics were not from the best buds (as those were consumed way before I got to grab my cam lol) but you can get a rough representation.

Taste is very nice n smooth , sativa all the way , bit hashy at times and the buds smell kinda sweet pineapple-like / fruity-lemony , also slightly spicy with hints of pine.
Burns very incense like and the smoke is very potent , even a 0.2g joint gets easily 3-4 experienced smokers wasted for several hours if havent smoked for a while. The high is speedy/racy and energetic , quite uplifting , euphoric and motivational , though if you smoke too much it can send you tripping and can get bit disorientating as well with a bit of paranoia . From the first 3-4 puffs you can feel a very intense head rush which then mellows out a bit but it keeps coming and going for a long time after smoking. Its mainly a cerebral high but theres also enough body to it to satisfy even my indica-lover mates. For instance after smoking a joint just by myself and after most of the high has worn out I find I can relax enough to go for a quick nap , though I wouldn't call the high being narcotic . Makes the world seem a more interesting place , great to listen to music and is good for creative activities. Its got some very nice qualities for sure so I kept the seeds I found in the buds for future projects. Potency wise it'd easily rate high amongst the best smokes I ve had so far , similar to a good Haze in terms of effects.There is quite a resemblance to the greek Kalamata strain in many aspects but there are some differences with this one , ie it has some more body to the high and maybe is less giggly though equally strong , great for spending time outdoors where you interact with the world.

GreekLandrace_bud.jpg


GreekLandrace_bud01.jpg


GreekLandrace_budcloseup002.jpg


GreekLandrace_budcloseup001.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice pics of the Larisa weed, leet, now you know why I'm pissed off I missed you last time! LOL :p
Hope you found some seeds in it!

As for pics of the male clone, nothing much to show ATM, really, much the same, but I'll put one up for you in a day or two.

Not much to say now -- not until I have the first sample bud, from then on we'll have some idea. The good thing is that all the crosses I made are with clones I know well, have grown many times, and am familiar with their smoke. So I should be able to form soooooome kind of judgment.

The cross with the Disp (NL5Hzx303) is quite interesting so far, it has lost the great ginger veg smell of the Disp., and smells much, much more like the father - a standard sort of light weed/skunky smell - to my surprise it also seems to have limited the stretch even more. I was quite surprised by that, I thought the Kalam. would be very stretchy. OTOH the Disp is one mentally stretchy ultra-vigourous plant... shoots all over the place... proper NL5Haze heritage. If that can get reined in a bit it might be a good thing, especially if it picks up some good Kalamata traits along the way.

Anyway, I won't bore you any more with idle speculation, more real news when I've actually got something to report!
 
Kalamata male clone - Jan 2009

Hi L33t, since you asked, here's the male as it is today.
Nothing much to it, really, just keeping it as a "bonsai dad" until the first results are in. After that, if it shows any promise, I might cross it to some Greek seeds.

That won't be happening till autumn, though.
 

Attachments

  • P1070001_s.jpg
    P1070001_s.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P1070002_s.jpg
    P1070002_s.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
Some of the first Nev's x Kalam seeds to ripen (more on the way).
Hey, these Nev's seeds are really small, were the originals like this too?

Here's a pic next to some MangoHaze x Nev's seeds, for comparison. How's the gueriila season looking for '09, L33t? ;)

Left to right:-
Nevs x K (v.small); MangoHaze x Nevs; 303 x K (note reddish tinge); NepJam x K (strongly striped, like parent)
 

Attachments

  • P1100003_s.jpg
    P1100003_s.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 47
Hi L33t,

Interesting project you have in there. Best of luck with it as it might give birth to some mighty fine sativa smoke.

Thank you for the bud pictures (yours are always welcome) and smoke report :)
 
The first faint indications...

Hi all,

Still not much to report, although I have small positive signals from the first cross I'm trying, the Dispensation x Kalamata.

Disp is a great NL5Haze x 303 cross which I keep, grows as robust and yieldy as NL5Haze, and has a lovely grapefruit-haze aroma. Good strong, pleasant weed! It also has a lovely, unusual real ginger smell in veg, which I am very fond of (I love ginger ;) ).

I am growing them side by side, in teeny pots SoG-style, just to sample the result (around April, I expect, but I thought I'd write this anyway, for those that know the Disp). The growth habit has retained like the very strong, robust NL5Haze characteristics. The plants are almost inistinguishable. In fact I can only tell them apart from the phyllotaxy, since the mum is from clone, but the cross from seed

Anyway, I got the first whiff of smell from the Kalamata cross yesterday, and it's a lovely fruity-lemony smell, I assume from the Kalam. Can't quite put my finger on it yet, but... I like! The mother Disp has a strong in-yer-face grapefruit-haze-cleaner smell).

Here's a couple of comparative bud shots. Mother's about 25 days in, the cross about a week behind it but they look pretty identical. Perhaps it will be a bit quicker.

First pic is from the mum, the other two are from the cross (the best pheno, most similar to mum... there are a few more... for later)
 

Attachments

  • P122-Disp.jpg
    P122-Disp.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P122-KJ1a.JPG
    P122-KJ1a.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 28
  • P122-KJ1b.JPG
    P122-KJ1b.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top