Motivation Time

Sometimes all the focus is on producing the best females, but that is in my opinion not always the case.
Males play a important part in breeding and I have always believed in produce a excellent male and the rest is easy.
So I thought I would put up this pic of a Choco male in the evening sunset.

Chocolope.JPG

Hi Puday...Yes I have my cut that I will use. It handled last years weather pretty well considering what we had and how solid the buds where.
I like when a strain can do this, it also has a very nice soaring strong high and was a favourite amongst a lot of people.
It is not a super strong smell of mangoes, but you can definetly pick it.

This is the first year I have done crosses with it, so I really look forward to seeing how they go.

Yeah the mango haze is super strong head weed, no doubt, probably one of the strongest pure head highs i've come across. Powerful, and heady.

Wait until you come across some of the more mango phenos/offspring, the terpins are divine. I've yet to find my mango keeper but i have definitely run across the mango pheno alright and it smells and tasted more mango than mangos do.

Yeah the mango haze is super strong head weed, no doubt, probably one of the strongest pure head highs i've come across. Powerful, and heady.

Wait until you come across some of the more mango phenos/offspring, the terpins are divine. I've yet to find my mango keeper but i have definitely run across the mango pheno alright and it smells and tasted more mango than mangos do.

I have that same smell in one of my Sat strains.....so strong Mangoes.

Trying to sort through them to find it, would like to use a male over this MHz, as I would like to try and IBL that smell:D

hi kanga
have you tried to use another mango smel strain to cross it ?
have you tried to make hash with some ? how was the smell ?

peace
mani

Greetings Kanga

Lol...You are definetly going to see a few different ones, Mango Madness, Mexican Mango, Mini Mango:D Emm x MangoHZ, although I dont think it will be very mini:D and of course Mamma Mango.

Lets see: Mango Madness- Mullum male x MHz; Mexican Mango- Oaxacan male x MHz; Mamma Mango- cutting of MHz. Not sure what the Mini Mango is. Early Mullum?

My run in with MHz was fraught with disappointment. It was all my fault though as i did not have a place for the stretchy phenos which were long-flowering. It would have taken heroic efforts to bring them to maturity without knowing whether they would be detected by prying eyes. These longer flowering ones, as others have said produce the old-school Sativa qualities some of us desire.

The short and stocky MHz were not what I was looking for compared with La Nina and SSH which I ran at the same time as I culled the stretchy MHz. Desirable La Nina and SSH are probably, on balance, easier to bring to fruition.

Since you mentioned the importance of males, how good were the ones you used in these crosses? I suppose after running the crosses confirmation or not will be apparent.

On another note you mentioned at a different place the trippyness of Gypsy's Thai Stick. Did you have any success making crosses with the selected one you mentioned? In that thread both Donald and Bushy ran a 2012 crop after your 2011 report. They never reported how theirs turned out as the thread got a bit sidetracked. The buds should be nicely cured by now i would think unless you folk's weather got the best of them.

Anyway, I am always amazed by your grows and look forward to see how MHz crosses to unrelated lines.

Happy Harvest 2013 :D

Sometimes all the focus is on producing the best females, but that is in my opinion not always the case.
Males play a important part in breeding and I have always believed in produce a excellent male and the rest is easy.
So I thought I would put up this pic of a Choco male in the evening sunset.

Chocolope.JPG

Hey kanga... Nice to see you around... Hope all is well...

Sick picture as always.... Pity to think how many elite males have been thrown away by people who just don't know better... Should start a non-profit and make male awareness mandatory! Hate reading about people chopping the smelliest or "best looking favorite" plant as soon as they find out it's a male... Just plain wrong...

How many MHz seeds did you pop to find the keeper... Any shots of her?? Any mango males or will you solely use females?? All selection done outdoors?? Were only the sativa dominant plants finished or did you manage to something interesting in a faster finisher??

Your a great source of knowledge and experience it's really cool to see you around.... Motivation indeed... Thanks man...

Hope all is well

OG

hi kanga
have you tried to use another mango smel strain to cross it ?
have you tried to make hash with some ? how was the smell ?

peace
mani

Hi Manivelle....No not yet as I am still trying to find it in my Sat strains.

I am sure some went in as finger hash, but it would have been mixed, might try next season and Ill let you know.
Lets see: Mango Madness- Mullum male x MHz; Mexican Mango- Oaxacan male x MHz; Mamma Mango- cutting of MHz. Not sure what the Mini Mango is. Early Mullum?

My run in with MHz was fraught with disappointment. It was all my fault though as i did not have a place for the stretchy phenos which were long-flowering. It would have taken heroic efforts to bring them to maturity without knowing whether they would be detected by prying eyes. These longer flowering ones, as others have said produce the old-school Sativa qualities some of us desire.

The short and stocky MHz were not what I was looking for compared with La Nina and SSH which I ran at the same time as I culled the stretchy MHz. Desirable La Nina and SSH are probably, on balance, easier to bring to fruition.

Since you mentioned the importance of males, how good were the ones you used in these crosses? I suppose after running the crosses confirmation or not will be apparent.

On another note you mentioned at a different place the trippyness of Gypsy's Thai Stick. Did you have any success making crosses with the selected one you mentioned? In that thread both Donald and Bushy ran a 2012 crop after your 2011 report. They never reported how theirs turned out as the thread got a bit sidetracked. The buds should be nicely cured by now i would think unless you folk's weather got the best of them.

Anyway, I am always amazed by your grows and look forward to see how MHz crosses to unrelated lines.

Happy Harvest 2013 :D

Hi Skunkha.....Yeah mate it is Emm x.
Yes I had the Early MHz as well...small solid buds, I actually crossed the MM to this and have a couple going at the moment.....but it was the late flowering, long solid bud one that I kept as it had all the right things that I wanted.

I selected some good males, on flower structure and strength and did a mixed pollination.....this year I will select just one good male from each of my strains and do the cross again if I am hapy with the results this year....which I am sure I will be as the SSH crosses where excellent.....it's just that Like Shanti I prefer the MHz.

I did a Oaxacan trance male over the gypsy thai and this will be it's first test, I also have some other Thai stock going to see what is in those....looking good so far.

I know Bushy liked the Thai, haven tchatted to Wal yet but I will ask him.

Thanks mate...I cant wait to see how they go as well.....vigour is amazing !!.
Hey kanga... Nice to see you around... Hope all is well...

Sick picture as always.... Pity to think how many elite males have been thrown away by people who just don't know better... Should start a non-profit and make male awareness mandatory! Hate reading about people chopping the smelliest or "best looking favorite" plant as soon as they find out it's a male... Just plain wrong...

How many MHz seeds did you pop to find the keeper... Any shots of her?? Any mango males or will you solely use females?? All selection done outdoors?? Were only the sativa dominant plants finished or did you manage to something interesting in a faster finisher??

Your a great source of knowledge and experience it's really cool to see you around.... Motivation indeed... Thanks man...

Hope all is well

OG

Hi OG....Thanks mate.....Yeah I bet some of the best male stock has been thrown out unnoticed. I try to evaluate every male, although I must admit if it doesnt have the flower structure I like it tends to go before the others without testing, I usually stil do a open pollination with them before they go.

I only did 20 seeds....so I guess I was lucky.
No no pics as I didnt take pics end of last season because I was to sad after the weather we had:(
But I will be on to it.
No Mango males as i like using males from my strains as I know them well and what to look for.

Yes mate always outdoors, that way I can pick for size and growth as well. I did a cross with a MM male to a earlier finishing MHz that had small nuggets all over it, but it wasnt as strong as my keeper, but some liked it because it wasnt.:D

Thanks OG it is good to be back here without all the crap that happened last time.....my fault really as I shouldnt have got involved in it.
Anyway back to the plant and sharing MNS grows again:)

Good and safe growing all,

Kanga

kangativa, its great to see you back posting :)

that male taken at sunset is a beauty...that could easily cover a magazine but then judging by your consistant quality of grows it would be the cover to your own book

thanks for sharing :)

I did a cross with a MM male to a earlier finishing MHz that had small nuggets all over it, but it wasnt as strong as my keeper, but some liked it because it wasnt.

ahah :) i myself prefer the not too strong weed ! less strong, more smoking ...
wal sould have some mango/pineapple strain if i remember well ? (yes it's a kind of order.lol )
hope you'll find the one you're searching !
good and safe and long growing Kanga

peace
mani

Last edited:
Hi OG.....Found this shot of the original MHz that I cloned off from the season before last.

Mang_Haze.JPG

Wow... Thanks..

Hey kanga... Thanks for digging that up

There's just something about MHz... Just screaming smoke me... Can't wait to get to poppin..

I'm sure you have some luck on your side but really I'm sure most people will find something worthy in a single pack... I feel shanti does a great job of stacking things in our favor... With all of the packs you have grown out I'm sure you feel the same.. Congrats on finding something you like... That's what it's all about...

Passing up on strong smoke for weaker just doesn't quite add up.. Hah if the flowers themselves were too strong I'd love to take a crack of the BHO...

Did I miss the final ratio out of the 20??? Were all females grown to completion??

Did your keeper exhibit all requirements(structure,resin, smell?? Obviously it has potency!!) or did you notice any shortcomings that you plan to try and fix or is all breeding just to see how it will combine??

Understood about using males you are familiar with... I can't even imagine the expectations you have and especially all the combinations that are possible... The Mexican mango just sounds ridiculous...

Appreciate all the first hand knowledge... And apologize In advance for the rambling... Also sorry to hear about the weather... Hopefully better next year and you won't be shy... Haha

As always thanks for sharing...

OG

Hey kanga... Thanks for digging that up

There's just something about MHz... Just screaming smoke me... Can't wait to get to poppin..

I'm sure you have some luck on your side but really I'm sure most people will find something worthy in a single pack... I feel shanti does a great job of stacking things in our favor... With all of the packs you have grown out I'm sure you feel the same.. Congrats on finding something you like... That's what it's all about...

Passing up on strong smoke for weaker just doesn't quite add up.. Hah if the flowers themselves were too strong I'd love to take a crack of the BHO...

Did I miss the final ratio out of the 20??? Were all females grown to completion??

Did your keeper exhibit all requirements(structure,resin, smell?? Obviously it has potency!!) or did you notice any shortcomings that you plan to try and fix or is all breeding just to see how it will combine??

Understood about using males you are familiar with... I can't even imagine the expectations you have and especially all the combinations that are possible... The Mexican mango just sounds ridiculous...

Appreciate all the first hand knowledge... And apologize In advance for the rambling... Also sorry to hear about the weather... Hopefully better next year and you won't be shy... Haha

As always thanks for sharing...

OG

Hi OG.. No worries about the rambling, if I had the time I would talk plants 24/7:D

The only thing that I would have liked more is less leaf and that is it.
I know I can get that out with my males as you can see in this MHz x Emm

I got about 13 females out of 20 and yes all were grown to the finish and I have found that the ratio with the MHz crosses is about 70% + females which is pretty common with using my males.

Should be able to sample this one in about 2 weeks to know how it is before it starts revegging:D

MHz_x_Emm.JPG

Really looking nice Kanga glad to see you back and showing some beautiful plants, the power of sativa compels you. Cheers mate always good to see you around with your wonderful pics and info

Hey there Kanga!

Are you watching Phillip Island on Sunday?

Apparently turn three is to be named after Casey.

IMO they should name the whole island Stoner Island.

fg :D

Really looking nice Kanga glad to see you back and showing some beautiful plants, the power of sativa compels you. Cheers mate always good to see you around with your wonderful pics and info

Thanks mate.....It is good to be back and posting again.
Things are a bit slow at the moment, but they will liven up soon:D

Hey there Kanga!

Are you watching Phillip Island on Sunday?

Apparently turn three is to be named after Casey.

IMO they should name the whole island Stoner Island.

fg :D

Hey there FG.....LMAO...It will be Stoner Island when we all arrive there tomorrow :D

So the answer is I will be watching every day, wouldnt miss saying bye to Casey:D

Grand prix... No thanks...

Hey kanga... Those things go way too fast... I hate bicycles let alone those monstrosities...

Thanks for the info on the MHz... Will be interesting to see how her crosses compare to the ssh... Do you automatically believe the mullum males to make the strain better or are there times when the originals seem to win out?? I just re read through the entire thread to remember somethings I wanted to ask about... While doing so it seemed the progression of your crosses follows a pretty standard pattern...

For example... The mullum x ww(from 95 I believe not the bw)... Found a nice ww and hit it the mullum to give it the "roids" aka Aussie monster vigor... Do one last cross from the widow side and then continue selecting using the mullum.... The originals fade away and it's the crosses that move on usually carried by the mullum.... In this case the mullum won out but I think you said you were disappointed in the direction the mullum x Mendo g x mullum was going.... Damn I'm confusing myself... Thought I had something there... Basically it seems your females only stay around long enough to add a slight touch of something you like but is dominated by the mullum or Oaxacan or various other males.... Not saying this is a bad thing at all... Truly the opposite with the importance of the male being the dominator in certain traits...

I don't even know if that was a question... Let's try again...

Any more progress with the lemon skunk crosses?? The mazaar to lemon sounds very tasty... Throw in the Oaxacan and then cross to a mullum mango... I think my brain just twitched a little bit... That lemon male throws such a good taste... Tastes a bit more lime to me but yummmmm....

Thanks again and hopefully some of that made sense... Sometimes the hash wins in the long run... Speaking of hash... Do you ever make any?? Or does everything non pickle barrel worthy go right into the compost??

Fascinating model for success your running... Can't even describe how valuable this kind of information is... So many crosses so little time... How do you keep it all straight??

Have a good one sir... Appreciate your time and effort as always...

OG

Hey kanga,

Always a pleasure to see how well you master your trade, i just started doing some indoor grows again myself - and always jump through your threads for good tips and tricks - and also for the eye candy :D,

Hope to taste some of your work someday - it nearly compels me to move out of WA and head east.

Peace and happy growing.

Back