Jahnova's Holy Smoke

...So far i am quite happy with how things are going. They grow much more uniform than The Doors did for me, no crazy stretchers and no left behinds, maybe HS#7 is the most indica leaning and staying a bit behind but nothing really bad. Height difference between the tallest and the shortest now is about 30 cm max...
I agree that the Holy Smoke is more uniform in structure. The Doors appeared more apically dominate; columnar plants on strong stems with chunky buds, minimal and shorter side branching. Perfect for stacking next to each other in an ID grow. The Holy Smoke, more spacious with long, slender pointed buds on longer branching exhibits more of that vinyness that appeals to me. The AC component provides stronger branching compared to the AH, not as willowy. The morphology to a degree shows itself in the smoke. I know @Marcus_in_the_Darkus will agree that The Doors had more indica influence- a heavy high at times. The Holy Smoke gives me the highs I expect from a sativa dominate plant. The smells of Holy Smoke are less herb/savory (Doors) and more sweet, some mineral spirits- not as dark. Both can be potent plants however.
Anomalies were there in the form of variegation, curvy leaves and hormonal expressions of flowers on the leaves themselves.
hs1 3_8.jpg
While they are of interest, they are infrequent and did not appear to impact the plants overall growth or the finished product when it came to aromas and excellent highs. So far brah, we have been in alignment with our thoughts and observations. You're killing it with a great journal and fine pics braddah! I will be interested in your impressions post-harvest.

mu

@Marcus_in_the_Darkus will agree that The Doors had more indica influence- a heavy high at times. The Holy Smoke gives me the highs I expect from a sativa dominate plant
I agree, i said on another forum that it is way easier to find something sat/dom in HS than it is in the Doors. Now i cant complain because i did find a true Haze expression in the Doors but so far out of all the logs D2 was the only one recorded to go 110 days from clone. With HS most seem sat/dom and some with very Hazy expressions too. I gave the last 3 seeds of the pack to my friend who got a real nice female from it. Stretchy, super thin leaves, took forever to show sex. He gave me a clone back that i am keeping for the next run but she surely looks sexy!
Screenshot_20220514-162532_Gallery.jpg

Hi fam, so it is 2 more days before week 5 starts and the stretch on most plants seem to be almost done. I keep thinking about how Shanti said the smell of well cured Holy Smoke almost brought tears to his eyes and i now understand where that came from. It is still early in flower but some of these ladies already smell divine. Some have that very loud oldschool fruity berry tones that bring back memories of days long gone. Others have a smell i cant really find the words for but what i think Mu described as "mineral." HS#8 has the loudest fruity/berry of all and already pumps a lot of resin compared to her sisters...

Screenshot_20220517-235322_Gallery.jpg
The variegation on HS#9 got a lot wilder. At first the discoloration was only on the curled leaves but she now throws some completely mutated leaves followed by a normal one and back to the variegation. It is not all branches doing it but it surely looks spectacular.

Screenshot_20220517-204032_Gallery.jpg

Here is a shot of a variegated branch...
Screenshot_20220517-203919_Gallery.jpg
And a branch without the mutation, same plant.
Screenshot_20220517-204004_Gallery.jpg

Whatever it is, she is the tallest plant in the tent and it seems not to be affecting her in any way so i just let her go and watch the show.

Screenshot_20220519-105837_Gallery.jpg
Now lets put some flowers on those branches!

Hi fam, so it is mid week 6 of 12/12 and we entered full flower and the ladies start to show off their bud structure. And this new phase brings new favorites. Not talked about much so far but doing everything i like to see in flower, Holy Smoke#1. Beautiful haze structure to the flowers and notice the long 1 finger leaves!
She is the only one still adding some height and i can already tell she will go the longest.
Screenshot_20220531-225102_Gallery.jpg
Holy Smoke#2 is of the same variegated type as #9, they seem to have a problem absorbing all kinds of macro's or perhaps prefer a more acidic soil (99% of the times the cause of that) because whatever you do you cant get them to green up. It is not bothering them as they fill just as quick as the darker plants but it just looks weird between the darker ones. Nice structure and the flowers already pack some weight to them.
Screenshot_20220531-224858_Gallery.jpg
Holy Smoke#7 is the most bushy. Short plant, doesnt need any stakes, thick branches. Most indica looking in structure, it is hard to fit just one top bud in a frame because of her bushiness..
Screenshot_20220531-224720_Gallery.jpg
Now to the old favorite, number 8. Has pointy, leafy buds, easy the most resin out of the 6 and seems to be an early finisher as she already got some reddish pistils going...

Screenshot_20220531-224450_Gallery.jpg

Now to the most variegated of all, HS#9. I think this will be the big yielder of the bunch. Builds long top buds that already pack a lot of weight. Most limey of them all, has lots of things going for her but i prefer the looks and build of HS#1 but all this can change after the smoke test of course lol.
Screenshot_20220531-223921_Gallery.jpg

And to the last one HS#10. Now this one has a typical Haze smell. The mother is easily the biggest plant in my propagator but she stayed kinda short in the flowertent what got me wondering if this is just a case of a " bad" clone. If the smoke is good i might re-run her to see if that's the case. She got nice bud structure too.

Screenshot_20220531-223731_Gallery.jpg
I noticed the limey plants and HS#1 have blood red stems, HS#8 about 50/50 and HS#7 & #10 just normal green ones. HS#1 also throws some of that variegated leaves but her overall leaf color just looks more healthy. A few shades darker than her more limey sisters and not affected by macro deficiencies.
Ec level is now at 1.8, i will lower the base feed from 100 to 75% end of this week and up the molasses from once a week to once every other watering. I gave a few plants some epsom salt as they showed magnesium deficiency quite heavy..
Here's a last group shot, see you guys next week where i will dive into (trying to) describe the smells and we hopefully got some weight on these ladies!
Screenshot_20220531-223640_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Hi fam, so it is mid week 6 of 12/12 and we entered full flower and the ladies start to show off their bud structure. And this new phase brings new favorites. Not talked about much so far but doing everything i like to see in flower, Holy Smoke#1. Beautiful haze structure to the flowers and notice the long 1 finger leaves!
She is the only one still adding some height and i can already tell she will go the longest.
View attachment 60659
Holy Smoke#2 is of the same variegated type as #9, they seem to have a problem absorbing all kinds of macro's or perhaps prefer a more acidic soil (99% of the times the cause of that) because whatever you do you cant get them to green up. It is not bothering them as they fill just as quick as the darker plants but it just looks weird between the darker ones. Nice structure and the flowers already pack some weight to them.
View attachment 60660
Holy Smoke#7 is the most bushy. Short plant, doesnt need any stakes, thick branches. Most indica looking in structure, it is hard to fit just one top bud in a frame because of her bushiness..
View attachment 60661
Now to the old favorite, number 8. Has pointy, leafy buds, easy the most resin out of the 6 and seems to be an early finisher as she already got some reddish pistils going...

View attachment 60662

Now to the most variegated of all, HS#9. I think this will be the big yielder of the bunch. Builds long top buds that already pack a lot of weight. Most limey of them all, has lots of things going for her but i prefer the looks and build of HS#1 but all this can change after the smoke test of course lol.
View attachment 60663

And to the last one HS#10. Now this one has a typical Haze smell. The mother is easily the biggest plant in my propagator but she stayed kinda short in the flowertent what got me wondering if this is just a case of a " bad" clone. If the smoke is good i might re-run her to see if that's the case. She got nice bud structure too.

View attachment 60664
I noticed the limey plants and HS#1 have blood red stems, HS#8 about 50/50 and HS#7 & #10 just normal green ones. HS#1 also throws some of that variegated leaves but her overall leaf color just looks more healthy. A few shades darker than her more limey sisters and not affected by macro deficiencies.
Ec level is now at 1.8, i will lower the base feed from 100 to 75% end of this week and up the molasses from once a week to once every other watering. I gave a few plants some epsom salt as they showed magnesium deficiency quite heavy..
Here's a last group shot, see you guys next week where i will dive into (trying to) describe the smells and we hopefully got some weight on these ladies!
View attachment 60665
one thing u could try is to check the size of stomata compared to regular plants. its possible the plant could have an increased nutrient requirement if the dosage is changed. could be the one time more nutes actually helps. i noticed it on the outback haze. they also seem to be very sensistive to wet roots and claw easier then most. when i grew the pity city haze(c) vs the pc3(a) i noticed the pity like alot of full transpiration cycles all the way wet to all the way dry. whereas the a wanted to be in a constantly moist enviorment with higher humidity but never dry or saturated. they hated wet/cold feet.it also appeared the a prefered indirect light while the pity couldnt get enough light jempys mentioned how many of his plants like the outside border light intensity. beautiful plants man

one thing u could try is to check the size of stomata compared to regular plants. its possible the plant could have an increased nutrient requirement if the dosage is changed. could be the one time more nutes actually helps
I thought they have a problem taking up iron. The way it evolves reminds me of chlorosis i see often on my satsuma's when they suffer from iron deficiency. It gets worse to the top and the overall leaf color just looks off. Iron is crucial for chlorophyl production. But what's weird, satsuma's pretty much come to a stand still without iron but these ladies just keep on going. So i think we can rule out that possibility.

View attachment 60659
View attachment 60660
View attachment 60661

View attachment 60662

View attachment 60663

View attachment 60664
View attachment 60665
Are you using LED lights Jahnova ? Cus it looks like you might have a hotspot in the midle aka too much ppfd. Maybe thats whats causing the issues on the plants mostly centralised. You should maybe try swaping their positions if possible to see if it happens to the outside plants when moved to the middle.
I bet it smells lovely in there.

I thought they have a problem taking up iron. The way it evolves reminds me of chlorosis i see often on my satsuma's when they suffer from iron deficiency. It gets worse to the top and the overall leaf color just looks off. Iron is crucial for chlorophyl production. But what's weird, satsuma's pretty much come to a stand still without iron but these ladies just keep on going. So i think we can rule out that possibility.
I read that people growing with LEDs need more co2?
https://www.thriveagritech.com/how-is-co2-supplementation-affected-by-converting-to-led-lighting/

Hope it helps and may guide you.

Wonderful grow journal so far @Jahnova ! Can’t wait to see the final product and get some smoke reports!!

When I reached out to Shanti for his advice on which strains were most likely to provide me with what described to him I was looking for he recommended Mango Haze and Holy Smoke! Taking notes as I’m likely to crack a pack of these in the future 🙂. Both your and @musashi logs will be extremely helpful when that time comes so thanks again!

Back