Testing EQ x Haze, 1,2,3...

Prodigal Son

New member
Yours truly has the honor of throwing these into soil for a test run- and I have to admit I am a bit giddy already folks!


There are several threads currently running on this strain. I am not sure which was the father and which was the mother- I was going to post that info as it is crucial, I just don't have time at the moment. I do know this was supposed to be a small batch by Neville, and I look at the background of this little bean and think OMG! this could be some serious stuff!

I use an organic soil medium composed of:

2 parts organic soil compost (homemade worm castings and potting soils recycled)
1 part vermiculite
1 part sphagnum peat moss
1 to 1.5 parts pearlite
1 part straight worm castings

I grow in homemade containers that have a res bottom and the plants set on a screened soil area above the res drawing water and nutes via a wick method. I will grow in a small container (20 oz) from germ through sexing then cull any males bar a select one for pollen collection. By removing the bottom of the cup, I can set the cups into the growboxes and allow root growth to be controlled to specific portions of the soil bed so as not to disturb roots when pulling males.

I use a 430 watt Son Agro Gold m/H bulb for veg cycle starting about week 2. Seedlings and sprouts are under CFL's and florescent t-12 40 watters at the start. The florescents also supplement my grow space as the plants gain heighth as they cover the wall in my cab.
For flowering, I switch to a Hortilux 430 watt Eye, and swap out the cool floros for warm colored.

The space is approximately 3 x 6 x 8, and I can run up to 4 boxes in the space, but never do. Each box could hold any combination of (8) plants for SOG, (3 to 4) for SCROG, or (2 to 3) if you want to grow them all the way out. Depending on the ratios, I'll decide how to grow these.... lots of flexibility with my set up as it is all I have- 1 room!

I germed in paper towel at 80f and as you can see- they are popping very nicely. I move to cups once they show a bit more tail.

I use no nutes until seedling breaks soil, and then only water until first set of true leaves show allowing soil to dry slightly between waterings. I then switch to a feeding of 2 tblsp per gallon of Alaska "Start-up" which is a 2-1-2 ratio liquid nute.

Once plant is on its 3rd and 4th set of true leaves, I will move to Alaska Fish Fertilizer (liquid at 5-1-1) up until 2 weeks before switching to 12/12- then I use Neptune's Harvest Fish Fertilizer Liquid which is a 2-4-1. I use Alaska MorBloom (0-10-10) for flower. All nutes are fed at 2 tblsp. per gallon on average. I do up the amounts at each feeding cycle depending on strain needs, but this works pretty much with everything. I always boost the MorBloom at the 2nd and 6th week of flower to 4 tblsp. per gallon. I will only feed on alternating weeks. The water uptake (food) depends on cab temps predominately, and since my environment is controlled, I keep the temps at about 75-85 during the veg period at all times. Humidity hovers in the 30% to 60% range on average. During flower, I drop temps at night to average between 50 and 70 degrees with it dipping into the mid 40's towards the end of flower on select nights.

I know I said I was going to start these later in the month, but I was getting an itchy trigger finger- besides, the days are still getting longer; summer is just starting and I can always use the natural light until my cab is complete.

I am sure I have left out things that may be of interest, so ask away!
 

Attachments

  • EQHAZE-001a.jpg
    EQHAZE-001a.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5
Suerte

Hola,
good to see your up and running, good luck. We can compare notes when we are finished.:)

Peace,
OB1
 
118 Hours Since Germination

Thanks for the support! I appreciate you all stopping in for a look-see.

No pictures yet- we all know what sprouts look like and I wanted some leaves to show before posting pics.

These are very slow through germination compared to other strains I have grown. It has taken 5 days for the seed to pop, shoot a tail, set in the soil, and break the surface. This is usually a 24 to 48 hour process in my experience...

The tailed beans you see in the last post were transfered to soil about 8 hours after that post. The temps were kept at 75-80 degrees during germ, and as soon as the sprout broke surface it had about 200 to 300 watts of dispersed CFL on it.

Just a few lines to update-

Peace

EDIT: As soon as I posted this a fellow test grower informed me that others are not seeing the extended germ times- My temps may be a bit warm? Just a FYI...
 
7 days since germ

A double from 1 seed?

Yep! Thats right- I got twins! Now let's see how long it takes for the bigger one to ruin it's sibling huh?

A bit lanky at first through the slow germ process for me, and I will be putting these babies into the growbox on the morrow. I have alot of shifting and goings on in the cab these days as I have started another starin and am making room for that as well.

Now a few pics! Sorry about the blurries on the twin shot... I'll do better next round.
 

Attachments

  • eqxhaze2-011a.jpg
    eqxhaze2-011a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2
  • eqxhaze2-014a.jpg
    eqxhaze2-014a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
  • eqxhaze2-001a.jpg
    eqxhaze2-001a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 4
... forgot me manners-

best of luck

il be lerking about spying on ya grow


all the best

yes gl again m8 :) wish u all the best of luck with these beans dude:cool:

Hola,
good to see your up and running, good luck. We can compare notes when we are finished.

Peace,
OB1


:eek: You would think I was raised by wolves!

First- No formal introduction by myself in the intro, and second, I go and forget to welcome and thank the folks who drop in and send good wishes... deserves at the least a flagellation of flacid fettucinne, or 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Thank you for stopping by and tipping your troughs at me, I am grateful in spite of the lack of manners.
 
16 Days Since Germ

I am waiting for the worms to finish up the last batch of castings to mix up the medium for the new growbox to hold these... next update they should be in their permanent home.
 

Attachments

  • eqxhaze3-001a.jpg
    eqxhaze3-001a.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • eqxhaze3-002a.jpg
    eqxhaze3-002a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • eqxhaze3-005a.jpg
    eqxhaze3-005a.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
25 days since germ

I am spacing the updates out because, let's face it.... weekly is a bit much!

I had to start nutes (per 1st post schedule a week and a half early... little haze cross is testing my skills folks!

I am not one to use ferts or nutes in any excessive quantities- I like to err on the side of too little. It seems as if these want more though? I was sure my organic soil medium was rich enough for anything- perhaps I lack an essential micro nutrient that these sprouts want.... calcium?

I also thought that the environment was a bit off there for awhile since the cab humidity and temps were more of a northern clime. I have been raising the humidity to about 60to70% avg. (it's been dry here) and keeping the temps around the 85f range- it seems to have helped- I guess they want the tropics huh?
 

Attachments

  • eqxhaze4-001a.jpg
    eqxhaze4-001a.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
  • eqxhaze4-004a.jpg
    eqxhaze4-004a.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • eqxhaze4-005a.jpg
    eqxhaze4-005a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
34 Days since Germination

I have a handle on these now folks, and as the pics will show- they are doing quite nicely. Due to the clones I have, and because I want a bit more maturity to these, I will be holding them in veg for at least another week or two.

My problems during the initial sprouting stages were a lack of B1, (A little mollasses yeast) and not enough phosphorous in the medium. By adding in very small amounts (1/8 tsp per gallon increasing to 1 tsp per gallon) I found a sweet spot for them and I am back on a regular feeding cycle. I have cut the original nute amounts down to 1/2 of what I posted on the first page... these babies are very light eaters.
 

Attachments

  • eqxhaze7-002a.jpg
    eqxhaze7-002a.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1
  • eqxhaze7-003a.jpg
    eqxhaze7-003a.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1
  • eqxhaze7-005a.jpg
    eqxhaze7-005a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1
  • eqxhaze7-006a.jpg
    eqxhaze7-006a.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
  • eqxhaze7-004a.jpg
    eqxhaze7-004a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1
Upgrade Update!

Yes, thats right... PS has entered the modern era and has upgraded the cab... just beamed in another 600 watts of hortilux eye hps with a brand new digital ballast and cool tube- bulb,ballast and reflector under 300 bucks, and that is shipped to the door folks!

I am now one step closer to the veg and clone chamber I want to build, and these little haze crosses are gonna love the 1000 watts of light in flower! My old 400 is scheduled to pull down veg duty only with a m/h once I can get another 600 watter for the flower room... just wanted to brag-
 
47 Days Since Germination/ 3 days of flower

That's right folks- I have switched to a 12/12 as of 3 days ago...

I have 1 male showing already; I have never seen a showing so fast! It is the top right pheno shown in the pics. The bottom left is showing male too I am thinking, but it is still hard to say.

I am still running the 400 unit in the cab with a m/h (Son Agro Gold) for another week- of course the brand spanky new 600 watt digital ballast, cooltube, and hortilux eye is beaming down on these babies also. Next week- a full 1000 watts of hortilux will be hitting the middle sort of; I guess I'll be rotating the lights around a bit until the cabs 2nd 600 watter is afordable *sigh* I really want a seperate veg and clone room, and I am scraping my pennies and stealing lumber from job sites to do it... well, begging lumber I should say.

Here's the pics!
 

Attachments

  • eqxhaze8-001a.jpg
    eqxhaze8-001a.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1
  • eqxhaze8-003a.jpg
    eqxhaze8-003a.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 4
  • eqxhaze8-004a.jpg
    eqxhaze8-004a.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi Prodigal Son,

Lookin good,hope some gals try out your new lights.Freebee's have budded very well ,wish you the best with em,

peace ps,an all.
 
Hi Prodigal Son,

Lookin good,hope some gals try out your new lights.Freebee's have budded very well ,wish you the best with em,

peace ps,an all.

Hi Prodigal Son,
Looking good mate,good luck with the veg/clone room they make life so much easier :cool:

keep it green
the clone ranger

Thanks for dropping in redeye and clone... much appreciation and respect brothers-

I have confirmed 3 of the original 8 are female... 1 male has been culled (showed sex at 1 week of flower) and so far 1 male is being kept for F1's

I am pretty sure there is another male, but it is still too soon to be absolutely sure. I do notice 2 very distinct phenos in this batch- 1 is very leggy and wants to grow tall I am thinking. The other pheno is a bit more bushy, and is showing a more squat taxonomy with thicker stalks.

So, who has input on this strain regarding preferred phenos so far? Anyone? I realize it is much too early to be asking for smoke reports and all, but I do know some of you are way farther along in the cycle than I am. I am wondering which female to make the F1's with...

Peace!
 
57 Days Since Germ/ 13 Days of Flower

My chosen male pheno is bagged after this shot- he will be spittin pollen by weeks end for sure. He is a very squat, bushy Indica dominant plant with very vigorous growth. I have a good solid variety of females to work with and kept a few beans back for future fun. The other males were moved outside, and pollen will be harvested should they survive the shock- I kinda would like some from the one as it was heading for massive height and was most def a haze influenced plant.

Final m/f count is..... 4 female, 3 male (4 if ya count the runt twin), and one still undetermined... probably a girl. Out of 10 started and 8 germed; not bad I'd say-

The yellow cast is from the hps as I still am running the m/h on my 400 watt for a solid mixture of color spectrum. The 400 will be swapped out for a hortilux eye tomorrow (switchable ballast).

Posting up some extra pics now that it is getting interesting.
 

Attachments

  • eqhaze9001.jpg
    eqhaze9001.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • eqhaze9002.jpg
    eqhaze9002.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 3
  • eqhaze9003.jpg
    eqhaze9003.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1
  • eqhaze9004.jpg
    eqhaze9004.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1
  • eqhaze9005.jpg
    eqhaze9005.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
  • eqhaze9006.jpg
    eqhaze9006.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 4
  • eqhaze9007.jpg
    eqhaze9007.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 3
NICE work!

I will be watching this one as the EQxHaze has been on my list for a while.

Thanks for keeping us all updated

Be safe

Alaska
 
NICE work!...

Alaska

Thanks Alaska- and in case you didn't know... I am the only one allowed to make puns in my threads! LOL! (Nice work...?)

The last "undetermined" is a girl- Final count: 5 female, 3 male, and a runt twin that was a male from 10 seeds germinated. (2 never popped)

All in all, not too bad if I may say so... in fact I just did!
 
69 days since germ/ 25 days of flower

As I had stated previously, there are 2 distinct phenos I am noticing:

The 2 wide angle shots show them at the far left and far right in the growbox. The other plants are smaller and ever so slightly varied, but essentially they follow the same taxonomy I am seeing in the main 2 phenotypes I am describing here:

The taller and lankier of the 2 (eqhaze-p1) is now at 38 inches and the stretch is over. She gained about 20 inches overall during the stretch period. The stalks are a bit thicker, and the bud sites are spread out more down the stalk. I'd say it is haze influenced? The smell when rubbing the stalk gently is very odd... I am not familiar with this aroma- if you could call it that; kinda has a stink to it that reminds me of a bad litterbox?

The slightly shorter (34 inches) and more bushy pheno (eqhaze-p2) has a very sativa looking leaf, profuse bud sites, and a tendency to bush. The lower leaves on this pheno are now beginning to yellow (just lowest fans) and the smell when rubbing the main stalk on this one is very typical.

They are doing fabulous, and are enjoying the morbloom and tigerbloom regime. I occasionally add 2 tbsp.p/gal. of alaska start up with the mor bloom to supplement carbs.

See ya!
 

Attachments

  • eqhazewide1.jpg
    eqhazewide1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 3
  • eqhazewide2.jpg
    eqhazewide2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 5
  • eqhazep2a.jpg
    eqhazep2a.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
  • eqhazep1a.jpg
    eqhazep1a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
  • eqhazep2b.jpg
    eqhazep2b.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top