Spice

True Blue by Hortilux

Hey Stoney,
If you are refering to buying the "true blue" dual spectrum from Hortilux I highly recommend them.I agree at 200.00 they are a HUGE expense for a lamp.They are worth it :)
My nugs are solid, calyx running,dense.
I veg with T5's. Mother plants that I have had for years were budding in ways they never did in the past.Simply gorgeous. Resin production,close nodes,beautiful hard nugs.

king acehole The vertical veg chamber is actually a whole room in itself start to finish, I just don't have any pics of them in flower. The very first picture is the finish product from that veg.

SOG is my favorite, these are however they were vegged for a long time for SOG standards. In order to achieve the canopy I prepare all the clones at the same time of one kind, rotate the smaller plants to the areas of higher light concentration as they stretch and prune them up harder. Spice is one for uniformity, consistency, and reliability.. as you can see she isn't doing too bad at making the best of a bad situation.

I'm in a tossup on what to do... for the price of Hortilux Blue bulb I could almost buy a 1K HPS ballast. The bulb I only need for 2 weeks... Makes me think; how commited am I to seeing the "Blue" finish?

budlover I totally agree I have used that bulb several times. I decided not to on this run because I was only going to use it at the end and wondered what the 1k HPS yield would be using Spice, this could help others in the future..results when its all done.. half dried so far... 1.25lbs. While the MH is geared towards providing the proper spectums.. HPS is strictly for flower production so I kinda have to compromise.. one day I will do a whole room in MH

Hey Stoney,
If you are refering to buying the "true blue" dual spectrum from Hortilux I highly recommend them.I agree at 200.00 they are a HUGE expense for a lamp.They are worth it :)
I veg with T5's. Mother plants that I have had for years were budding in ways they never did in the past.Simply gorgeous. Resin production,close nodes,beautiful hard nugs.

Do you notice your buds getting more leafy? When I did that with a Gavita MH Bulb my buds became very leafy. I've read many things that attest to the fact that MH is better for trichome production and potentcy. But like I said when I tried it the plant became a trimmer's nightmare.

Yes a bit more leaf when I have run MH, but more trichomes/potnecy. Red spectrum is geared toward flower production while blue is important for plant health I think.

So got it all done.. one of these days I may post final pics. I am really happy with myself.. I hit my goal dead on, I mean I couldn't predict by any means but anyways.. 1038 and some change grams which for 36 plants is around 28.3g/plant. With my original goal being an Oz per plant.. the Spice delivers, and it could have given me more if I didn't run into the issues.

Last edited:
Hey Stoney,

How long to you use your hortilux blue's for? I've read that theyre only good for 3 months.

Drying and dried.:cool: Could have even went longer but I have a schedule. In the hydro Spice finishes very fast and the look is a bit different as you can see from 1st and last pics of this thread.

Attachments

• Pics 001_edited.jpg
    Pics 001_edited.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Pics 003_edited.jpg
    Pics 003_edited.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
How many plants did you work with before you made your pick? I noticed huge variation but it was cool as the were all unique.

I got super sativa leaning phenos for the most part. I had one plant that I could have posted as a neville's haze, its so sativa looking!

My pick was similer to your in structure, I got a heavy indica looking pheno that ended up with a huge club shape cola, huge producer.

I'm very interested to try the haze looking pheno as it has to be leaning almost fully to the hawaiian sativa side. It smells like lemons, has huge trichomes (just like my shits) and looks like a connoisseur's wet dream.

Also ended up with a dark purple pheno, but it was a smaller yielder.

What kinda tastes have you gotten soil vs hydro, HPS vs MH?

I'm running some Hawaiian genetics at the moment. All from the big island , last year I was growing some Molokai strain and stupid me forgot to make seeds. I think I'm gonna try to get my hands on some spice beans and see how they perform in the islands.

I only got to see 2 females out of 7 Spice seeds that I got above ground. Didn't leave me too much choice. I think I got pretty lucky to end up with this phenotype. The taste is laden with lemon-citrus notes but affie tones can be found in there too... overall when I and my friends smoke Spice we agree that the taste is full bodied. Has an old school feel of some strong smelling herby tasting ganja.

Bc24.. Right on

Gertbfrow.. Is there anyway you could show cola shots of the sativa expressions, a smoke report at least? Years ago there was a sativa cut named Spice out of Idaho that had the reputation of being a hawaiian strain... It was one-hit sativa fire.

Back