Spice

This was done in June of 2009. I vegged for 10 days, (i will look up some pics of the veg) flowered for 63, average yield was 34 grams per Spice. I was at first dissappointed because out of 17 seeds I had 7 sprout, 2 of which were females, one of which died prematurely, leaving me with this girl. This is a great strain with a motivating high that is not debilitating. THe smell is overwhelming of fruit and burnt rubber/skunk notes. I wish I had seen more Spice plants and females in general but I am very pleased that what I got lives up to everything MNS says.

Attachments

• Pics 001.jpg
    Pics 001.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 196
So here's a few pics of the same crop, cloning, preveg, veg. This batch of clones was dismal (I can do much better) from the weather at the time so I had to veg longer than usual to fill in all the space.

Attachments

• Pics 014.jpg
    Pics 014.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Pics 015.jpg
    Pics 015.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Pics 016.jpg
    Pics 016.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Pics 017.jpg
    Pics 017.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 14
  • pic002_edited.jpg
    pic002_edited.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 45
  • pic001_edited.jpg
    pic001_edited.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
This is a 4.5' x 4.5' tent, 1kW HPS Hortilux Super HPS bulb with 36 Spice. I plan to switch to a Hortilux Blue MH for the last 2 weeks. Right now they are week 5 flowering on a 13/11 day/night schedule, which I hope will allow me to extend the finish time to 10 weeks and hopefully 1oz/plant. Heat and humidity is an issue here (I won't make my yield goal), and the leaves on the tops have been been stressed. I have just started staking them into their own spaces. Bottoms pruned up 15", canopy = 17", CO2 injected with constant air flow. I planned for this stuff to finish @ 36" with 2.5 weeks veg time, right now I am 34" so I am close. In order to get there I feed higher N, extend photoperiod, and use HPS lighting. I would normally finish with the HPS, but this ballast isn't mine (but I have a spare MH 1kW) and I am curious to see what might happen finishing with the Blue.

Attachments

• Pics 002.jpg
    Pics 002.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Pics 003.jpg
    Pics 003.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Pics 004.jpg
    Pics 004.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Pics 005.jpg
    Pics 005.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Pics 010.jpg
    Pics 010.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Pics 011.jpg
    Pics 011.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 73
Looking good! I'm curious about the burnt rubber smell you describe, does it come across in the taste? Or is the taste more fruity or skunky?

The taste is light on the palate, slight hints of lemon/citrus notes on the exhale. I have yet to get full on fruit flavor, the final tastes clean however.

Very tight setup, Stoney :D I got pretty much the same tase/flavor experience as you with my couple of spice fem's. Burnt rubber, skunk, unknown 'tropical' lemon cleaner :D Are those 2 gallon bags? Soil? Nutes?

FWIW, I didn't keep any of my females long term, cause they wouldn't really stretch like the other plants that I run. I did LOVE the 'Funkito de Pacifico', though.

Thanks PatrickStar... Yes the spice will "indica out" if you keep her low on the N. I believe one good boost of N a week till week 5 or 6 will usually give me the height, the buds look slim until the last 2 weeks. The burnt rubber is in the aftertaste ( had a refresher sample today), a bit of full-bodied chalky afghan taste, but the lemony notes are distinct and leave that taste as an afterthought. I also grew a very lethargic stoney BB x NL, it is more physical, but most people seem to think this stuff is better because they can still function.

Yes 2 gallon bags
16 days veg time
FF American Pride Dry Mix in sunshine #4 + perlite
I use all kinds of nutrients.. Seaweeds, Bat Guano Teas and occasional Tiger Bloom

Last edited:
This is the Spice @ 7 weeks, flowers are becoming dense, one more fertilizing and then plain water flushing.

Attachments

• Pics 001_edited.jpg
    Pics 001_edited.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Pics 002_edited.jpg
    Pics 002_edited.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Pics 003_edited.jpg
    Pics 003_edited.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Pics 004_edited.jpg
    Pics 004_edited.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 75
Those look great Stoney, what kinda temps and you workin with?

Also curious to see if thats 16 day veg on seeds or clones?

Thanks and awesome job!:D

gertbfrow, thanks a lot, they actually only look OK, these are capable of much more, see 1st pic, yes 16/17 day veg on clones rooted in Oasis. I was vegging an adjacent flower room so my first few weeks of flower had average highs over 88 F. Now my temps are in an acceptable range. In addition to the heat issues i think these also underwent a salt build-up due to inadequate drainage, they have recently snapped out of that (i hope). I turned up the CO2 to repond to recent growth spurts. Hopefully the extended photoperiod will prolong harvest time (for yields sake), I have adjusted now to regular 12/12 to speed up the finish... Haven't swapped bulbs yet.

On another note.. this tent has had numerous (6+) dark period disruptions (once all night in week 4) without any hint of hermaphroditism or reversion to vegetative growth yet. I want to try this cut outside at a friend's this summer. He has trouble with photoperiod due to a streetlight near to his plot.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey Stoney,

That Spice looks like a keeper! Very cool setup you got there, really dig the vertical veg chamber, reminds me of the senate in the newer crappier star wars flix. I also, have a 4.5 x 4.5 tent with a 1k in it, but I have a mess of 10 bent trees of different seedplants. Nice to see a sea o' green, I've been wanting to try one for a while. Gotta say, I'm a little jealous of the uniformity, very appealing.:cool:

peace,

king acehole

king acehole The vertical veg chamber is actually a whole room in itself start to finish, I just don't have any pics of them in flower. The very first picture is the finish product from that veg.

SOG is my favorite, these are however they were vegged for a long time for SOG standards. In order to achieve the canopy I prepare all the clones at the same time of one kind, rotate the smaller plants to the areas of higher light concentration as they stretch and prune them up harder. Spice is one for uniformity, consistency, and reliability.. as you can see she isn't doing too bad at making the best of a bad situation.

I'm in a tossup on what to do... for the price of Hortilux Blue bulb I could almost buy a 1K HPS ballast. The bulb I only need for 2 weeks... Makes me think; how commited am I to seeing the "Blue" finish?

Last edited:
9 weeks

Not yet, all the leaves are going brownish yellow but the buds keep growing, new white pistils everyday. They hit the 36" expected growth just a few days ago. Turned down the photoperiod to 11.5 hours daylight

Attachments

• Pics 001_edited.jpg
    Pics 001_edited.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • Pics 003_edited.jpg
    Pics 003_edited.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Pics 005_edited.jpg
    Pics 005_edited.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 96
Realy nice grow mate i will try this line out one of these days i realy do have a soft side for hawiian genetics as every one i tryed in the old days was special and very unique to any other line from any other place people say its becouse it was grown in volcanic soil there well fact is even if it was grown in a indoor grow or grown in the back yard or in the bush in a location 1000s of km away from its home it still grows and smokes and tastes unique great job.

I've heard that they can be very colorful with lower temps, ever expeirence this?

I have some that I just put into flower, they look very similer...very much a pole plant.;)

What kind of flavor do you get with yours and do you have any tips on this strain other than the nitrogen supplement in flower?

gertbfrow, hey man congrats on trying a good strain, hope it works out nicely for you.

I would prune up, as in any garden. Once major flowering sites have developed I would lop off all the weak branches and inner-buds for lollypops on the branch ends. I agree single cola really takes advantage of her structure, make sure to leave a few strong side branches too.

In soil I would start easing down on the nutrients around week 5, go 3/4 strength or less so the finish will come quickly. Seems like mine just want to keep growing in dirt, but the hydro finishes on time every time. Until week 5 the buds look like its gonna be a bust, then at the end it just comes correct.

Watch your veg time: 10-12" plants under a 1k HPS will end around 36-40" with a good fert regimen, but 3.5" plants will only go 14". kinda tricky to gauge where they will end up by size so if the length of veg helps ya: 3-4 days= 17-22", 1 week = 22-30", 2 weeks= 36-40".. and I am talking full size branched out xmas trees with about the same bottom width as height; I am sure if they had enough room I am sure 2 week veg could yield upward of 3 Oz in 3 gal. Great if you want to pull out a full room of 3' plants with good yields.

They can turn purple, when that happens I usually get a dry mouth feel. This is a characteristic of most purple bud I feel. Get a lil cool breeze in the dark period and they really get a nice light lavenderry shade. I like this bud because the green is usually bright neon, especially the shaded parts, while the darker pigments accumulate in the light areas.

The flavor I get out of dirt crops is a slightly fruit smooth inhale, with a full bodied herbal/woody- afghani aftertaste that comes on nicely after sweet hints of citrus in your exhale; this flavor lingers in a "light/delicate" sense on every exhale. Really a great taster that doesn't follow the heavy hashish flavors now common in the Kushes.

Cool you got me really excited about this strain. But I'm also now kinda paranoid that they'll get too big. I've been really easy on fertilizer as I used foxfarm lightmaster (best soil I've ever used) and a few amendments. Even still they really shot up lol. They were about 24" when they were flipped so now I'm thinking the 2 gallon pots I transplanted them into are going to be a bit small. I have them in with a round of G45 clones, I was hoping they would be around the same size but after a watering of some peruvian seabird guano and bloombastic they shot up a good 6" in the past few days. We'll see ;)

Last edited:
lol ya thats a bit much vegging for these girls... I am gonna guess those things end @ 5ft. Expect a gnarly canopy battle, maybe some LST would be good for you. I only veg 24" plants if I am working a super indica non-stretching plant. With plants that tall make sure you prune up from the bottom heavily or the quality of your harvest will dissapoint. A transplant in early flower may be helpful as well, for my plants 3 gallons was just a bit much, I think 2 gallons could have worked for me.

lol ya thats a bit much vegging for these girls... I am gonna guess those things end @ 5ft. Expect a gnarly canopy battle, maybe some LST would be good for you. I only veg 24" plants if I am working a super indica non-stretching plant. With plants that tall make sure you prune up from the bottom heavily or the quality of your harvest will dissapoint. A transplant in early flower may be helpful as well, for my plants 3 gallons was just a bit much, I think 2 gallons could have worked for me.

Urrrrg! I'm sick of big plants they're such a pain in the butt to keep happy in such cramped conditions.

Maybe I'll just reveg them, turn them into clones, and save em' for my next house.

Back