Reference Area

Here's the companion article looking at light intensity in the flowering stage:

Cannabis Yield, Potency, and Leaf Photosynthesis Respond Differently to Increasing Light Levels in an Indoor Environment
"... plants were grown for 12 weeks in a 12-h light/12-h dark “flowering” photoperiod under canopy-level PPFDs ranging from 120 to 1,800 μmol·m−2·s−1 provided by light emitting diodes.

"It was predicted that cannabis yield would exhibit a saturating response to increasing LI,
thereby signifying an optimum LI range for indoor cannabis production.

"However, the yield results of this trial demonstrated cannabis’ immense plasticity for exploiting the
incident lighting environment by efficiently increasing marketable biomass up to extremely high—for
indoor production—LIs (Figure 7A).

"Even under ambient CO2, the linear increases in yield indicated
that the availability of PAR photons was still limiting whole-canopy photosynthesis at APPFD levels as
high as ≈1,800 μmol·m−2·s−1 (i.e., DLI ≈78 mol·m−2·d−1)."

1638912301741.png

Last edited:
Article on defoliating and branch removal. Pruning treatments are “Topping”.

Plant architecture manipulation increases cannabinoid standardization in ‘drug-type’ medical cannabis
"
The treatments that increased the most the concentrations of the lower inflorescences thus
increasing standardization were ‘Double prune’, and the removal of bottom branches and leaves (BBLR).

"However, it should be noted, that surprisingly, and contrary to common belief in the cannabis industry,
the changes in cannabinoid concentrations (Fig. 2–4) and yield (Fig. 5C-D) were small (except for the
‘1◦ branch removal’ treatment that greatly reduced both parameters).

1640715343237.png

Last edited:
i remove only if the leaves are sick or brown
at the end of the bloom the plant remove it by itself
for that you need a good nitrogen carency for the plant eat its

i always remove the bottom branchs

i do like that not sure if is good or not
after that depend of the plant too

it's very interesting

Is this research from Oregon State any good? It's a little (ok a lot) technical for me :)!
Pretty cool if cannabis blocks covid!

Link to research article:

Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants
" Hemp compounds identified by Oregon State University research via a chemical screening technique invented at OSU show the ability to prevent the virus that causes COVID-19 from entering human cells. "

Oops! Apologies ... Big Sur posted on this yesterday.

Is this research from Oregon State any good?

"To validate the virus neutralizing capabilities of CBDA and CBGA, we next performed focus forming assays using authentic SARS-CoV-2 virus (Isolate USA-WA1/2020). We utilized Vero E6 cells for these experiments due to their high susceptibility to the virus and common use in SARS-CoV-2 live-virus studies. Focus forming assays were performed using serial dilutions of CBDA or CBGA that were incubated with infectious SARS-CoV-2 for 1 h prior to infection. As in the pseudovirus neutralization assay, CBDA and CBGA prevented SARS-CoV-2 entry into Vero E6 cells with IC50 values of 24 and 37 μg/mL (Figure 3D–F), respectively."

they use "authentic" virus but fake cells. what about real human cells? what about real humans? nope. i guess they couldn't find people in Portland who are taking undecarbed extract and see if they're more or less likely to test positive.

what does it take to obtain a blood plasma level of CBDA equal to the level where half the cells with "high susceptibility to the virus" are infected?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00228-018-2516-3 administers about 9 milligrams CBDA to people and finds average peak plasma CBDA of 74 nanograms/milliliter. 0.000822% of the dose. extrapolation of 74 nanograms to 24 micrograms requires eating 2919 milligrams of CBDA. every hour. because the level rises and falls very quickly (average plasma peak at 0.83 hours, half-life 0.84 hours). liver damage would not be a surprise here.

the authors are aware of all that.

So I was able to retrieve articles from La Dolce Vita an Italian magazine I have been writing for since inception and I will upload older articles first.....so here goes history for those who wish to read...Sb

Article for La Dolce Vita December 12th 2011

Title; New Era; You can change the World today!

The only thing in life you can guarantee each day is something will change! But most of us live our life as if we prefer to remain the same. Familiarity, safety and certainty are things we try to create with our homes and neighbourhoods'. Life is evolving and maybe things do not look like they change too quickly in our immediate vicinity, but things are constantly changing and adapting all around us. We are now well into our industrial revolution and with the added knowledge of New Science we are well into a New Era where we are playing catch up to our technology. However with creation comes destruction, it is Nature`s way of allowing us to shake out the wrinkles of slow change and to shock us into different ways. If you think about it with a little more depth, you will see exactly what we have been doing for so long to create all our time saving devices and methods and comforts for modern living, we have created the biggest headaches of our future as a race inhabiting Earth! Man has made a difference to Earth...but so did the Dinosaurs! Let me tell you, from my point of reference there is no Human or theory that can predict our outcome or the future. There is however some merit in predicting the smaller steps in time and our impact on the Planet. To be honest and if Man could take a good look at himself in front of a mirror, we would see we have sacrificed quite some pristine parts of Earth in lure of our time saving comforts. In retrospect we have made some great mistakes in the name of humanity, yet our achievements have been equally astounding! So where do we go from here? As a plant biologist and a strong believer in Science, I have come to respect balance and the eternal change of our knowledge, relative to our history. Studying how plants continually evolve to adapt to their environments it often makes me think whether animals or plants are doing a better job? Both have suffered and been lost to extinction with the progression of time, but we also see the birth of a lot of new species of both plants and animals. Similarly I often think whether Man has and is adapting fast enough to his environments? Without looking for a single solution it would seem logical with the rise in our population that we are doing well, adapting to all corners of the Earth. Like all expanding and ubiquitous proliferating species there is a point to reach before we begin to implode on ourselves. Success is sweet while it lasts but being too successful means we peak before causing our own demise. No species can keep growing and expanding without serious compromise and consequences.

Earth is alive and continuously producing resources. Humans gather-up, mine, pump, and siphon off most the Earth is offering. But Earth is not limitless and one day soon we will be demanding more than there is to supply us all. We are at the dawning of a New Era where we can make a difference, but we must do this and remain aware, not fall into our old ways of complacency. Easier said than done I am afraid, but with a joint effort, doable nevertheless! In my main work of breeding new strains of cannabis for medicinal users we are at a pinnacle of change. Twenty years ago all cannabis was viewed as gateway drug to the drug culture...However, in those years huge advancements have taken place in agriculture and medicine which have been applied to cannabis to carve new ways forward. Finding applications of certain natural occurring chemicals on the plant have made many sick and suffering people lives` better. We were unable to identify and measure precisely the different terpenes profiles (aromas) and cannabinoids found on a single plant. We classed things according to what we could measure and THC was such a chemical thought to be the mind altering substance that caused such effect. In recent years and through some in-depth analysis and medical trials we now know there are some 66 different cannabinoids on a plant as well as all the numerous terpenes. From developing our tools to quantify these aspects of the plant we have learnt that CBD if found in larger quantities and equal to THC in ratio, the positive effect on MS patients or chemotherapy suffers have been uplifting without mind altering experiences. CBD is found on non drug types of cannabis normally associated with hemp production. We are touching on a tender spot, where the terminal sick and hopeless patients without alternatives are reaching out to any form of relief without the grave side effects of pharmaceutical drugs. The sick and suffering cannot be denied help in any way possible and they are creating our new research from their demand. It is exciting to see the help these new CBD rich strains are having on this group of users and the positivity it brings to their lives and their families. Looking at the big picture can be daunting and leave any one feeling it is of no consequence what they do, they alone will not make change come! A lot of single steps make a long journey. Single steps count. They allow us to gain space and move closer to the distant light at the end of the tunnel. The single step is the key to our future on Earth as a species. We cannot run back to the Past to change what we did wrong but we can be here Now and do our best not to add to the mistakes our ancestors unknowingly chose for us. We can look forward from where we stand now and turn our folly into fortitude. This will take an effort by all of us. Many people will need to make those single steps count and with some good fortune along the way we will turn our partial demise into our strength for creation once more. We will pay a price as most do for making incorrect decisions along the way, a kind of Tax to Nature...but it will lead us to a New Beginning.

Seed Quality and Packaging
2012 April

1. Seed Quality and Packaging 2012 April.docx

2. Seed Quality and Packaging 2012 April.docx

3. Seed Quality and Packaging 2012 April.docx

4. Seed Quality and Packaging 2012 April.docx

5. Seed Quality and Packaging 2012 April.docx

Here's a roundup of recent research done expressly on medical THC cannabis. Wondering how to interpret the recommendations?

For instance, is a NPK of 160/30/175 mg L equal to 10/2/12? If so then 160/60/60 equals 10/4/4.

NPK in vegetative, growth stage: 160/30/175 mg L
NPK in flowering stage: 160/60/60 mg L

I'm posting a list of links to NPK research by Nirit Bernstein, from the Institute of Soil, Water and Environmental Sciences, Volcani Center, Israel.

Medical Cannabis recommended N, P, K levels from Volcani Center research:
N veg: Response of Medical Cannabis to Nitrogen Supply Under Long Photoperiod (2020)
P veg: Response of medical cannabis genotypes to P supply under long photoperiod: Functional phenotyping and the ionome (2021)
K veg: Response of Medical Cannabis Genotypes to K Supply Under Long Photoperiod (2019)
N flower: Nitrogen supply affects cannabinoid and terpenoid profile in medical cannabis ( Flowering phase 2021)
P flower: The Highs and Lows of P Supply in Medical Cannabis: Effects on Cannabinoids, the Ionome, and Morpho-Physiology (2021)
K flower: Effect of Potassium (K) Supply on Cannabinoids, Terpenoids and Plant Function in Medical Cannabis (2022)

Last edited:

ICR CSU-Pueblo
February 16th at 11:00AM MT: Cannabis Cultivation Webinar Series with Dr. Nirit Bernstein: Advances in cannabis cultivation techniques: The power of mineral nutrition, lighting & plant structure

Nirit Bernstein, from the Institute of Soil, Water and Environmental Sciences, Volcani Center, Israel.
"We are developing breakthrough technologies in order to fool the plants to think that they are under deficiency or under some kind of deficiency nutrient stress condition without actually compromising plant development..."

Last edited:
Here's a great new dissertation from a grad student at Utah State Univ (studying with Dr. Bugbee).

The study was done using cannabis plants.

She extensively documents procedures and outlines the USU growth media mixes.

12-2022 "Approaches to Supplementing Silicon in Soilless Media and the Value of Silicon in the Mitigation of Drought Stress"
Mackenzie Grace Dey, Utah State University

Cool discussion on silica for plants, some excerpts below.:

"As pests masticate through the silica layer, the glass-like barrier wears down pests’
teeth and jaws, rendering them useless. Moreover, this barrier
reduces bacterial infection and fungal spore proliferation due to the decreased surface
area of accessible tissue."

"Once introduced to the xylem, orthosilicic acid polymerizes to amorphous
silica gel and is mobile throughout the plant body. Once transported,
the amorphous gel polymerizes back to silicon dioxide
depositing Si cells or aggregates known as phytoliths.
These immobile phytoliths are found throughout the plant body from roots to shoots
to floral structures and fruits to add protection and rigidity until plant death, when
they are introduced back into the soil to be recycled by new plant generations."

well, they say 175 ppm K yielded better in veg...and also that 175 was excessive, so i went with 100...they also say they're doing the same thing with Ca...nothing coming up so far.

Pesticides Allowed for Use on Cannabis in Colorado

Great big document covering 50 pages of smoking friendly pesticides approved in Co.
Very interesting. Uploaded both PDF and zip of excell file.

Attachments

• Colorado pesticides allowed in cannabis production Webpage.pdf
    287.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Colorado pesticides allowed in cannabis production Webpage.zip
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Cool electron microscope (edit: and macrophotography) pics of trichomes.
Caption and source link to research below.
image b.png
image a.png

1683643923200.png

Secretion of resin from glandular heads.

a, b) Highly magnified heads using macrophotography and phase contrast imaging showing distribution of vesicles inside the heads. A ring of secretory cells can be seen on the underside of the heads above the stalk. (Images are courtesy of 11 Zoom Gardens and are included with the acknowledgement of credit to the photographer Nick Cash).

c, d) Scanning electron micrographs of the ring of secretory cells (c) and droplets of resin secreted on the outside of the cuticle (d).

e) Microscopic pores (approx. 0.5 um in diameter) that presumably may allow resin to be secreted through the cuticle. The confirmation of the presence and function of these pores requires additional studies.

Last edited:
Back