Outdoor growing survey....

This is a great thread!
Im not outdoors yet but will be. My only regret is that I wish I would've started sooner!

I will be watching & taking notes, so please keep up the great work.

Nice pics & great info all of you.
Still trying to catch up, just got to 2010 posts!D

so don't mind me, go, grow, grow!

-SD

In Out In Out shake it all about

Not really what the topic is about but here is a plant from a few years back - organic outdoor pot grown - going in and out of the loft 12/12 - this is a very effective and economic way to produce personal amounts of medicine - it can be done in summer and even in autumn can give a head start or some protection from growth slowing cold.

Attachments

• OrganicOutdoorSuperSkunk2007.JPG
    OrganicOutdoorSuperSkunk2007.JPG
    541.4 KB · Views: 25
Not really what the topic is about but here is a plant from a few years back - organic outdoor pot grown - going in and out of the loft 12/12 - this is a very effective and economic way to produce personal amounts of medicine - it can be done in summer and even in autumn can give a head start or some protection from growth slowing cold.

you don't need to move them in and out the loft in the autumn or winter. i have grow and flowered plants on the window right through the winter till spring in the past.

I don't know if anyone has any soil mixes I found that the better the soil the better the results. After buying acouple good books I came up with one that works good for everything, the blue berry takes a shock after transplanting into the soil for a week or so but jump back in high gear and takes off. The mix is for a 5 gal. buckette so if you have a bigger hole customize. I'm stuck with buckettes because I live with shale and bluestone.
I use a coffee cup for the messurements.

1 cup kelp meal 1 cup bloodmeal 1 cup greensand 2 cups bonemeal
about 1/3 or less perlite half a cup of dolomite lime ussally puts the ph at 6.5 peatmoss
Happy growing n gl.

soil and mixes

yes, Try Fox Farm Ocean Forrest its organic and has sea kelp, worm castings and bat guano I found it to be the best soil so far

yes, Try Fox Farm Ocean Forrest its organic and has sea kelp, worm castings and bat guano I found it to be the best soil so far

I was thinking about grabbing a bag to compare with my mix. Running out of $. It cost around $60 for six buckettes. I have done 18 buckettes done and 14 to go. Gotta find something cheaper than buckettes because I ran out of them also lol, any ideas.

soil baggers

did you mean price of soil or buckets? I guess it would go hand-n-hand, try grow bags, well I dont know about "stretching soil" unless your gonna add/cut it with organic compost, if you go with cheaper less expensive soil (in California) you get 90% woodbark! and expect ph probs, so if I was to get Fox Farm Ocean Forrest and had to cut it or stretch it out Id go look for a compost, fox farm is so fortified with quality nutes many people dont even use fertz for a couple weeks I would also go with their nutes too and bubble it as in make a tea adding molasses for feeding good microbes/bacteria-its been working for me, this soil is made up in Humboldt county (Emerald Triangle) for 1 reason!

Last edited:
Soma's Organic soil vs Fox Farm

I am a fan of Somas Organic style purchased his book and followed the way he did his soil for a year, then I ran across Fox Farm Ocean Forrest and it was just as good if not better, it maybe cheaper to go with Soma's recipe as you will be making yourself but Fox Farm all ya got to do is open the bag-its very high quality, every serious organic grower in Ca is using it and I hear that its finally made its way to Colorado (Fox Farm products) I also understand there is another family run company out of Trinity county (also in the Emerald Triangle) making a soil but I never tried it and forget the name, in every Hydroponic/Grow shop in Ca carries it as it really is great soil and Ive tried everything such as Black Gold and that soil cant compare -Id recommend Ocean Forrest to any/everybody, I use it! you may want to Google it and find a location near you

did you mean price of soil or buckets? I guess it would go hand-n-hand, try grow bags, well I dont know about "stretching soil" unless your gonna add/cut it with organic compost, if you go with cheaper less expensive soil (in California) you get 90% woodbark! and expect ph probs, so if I was to get Fox Farm Ocean Forrest and had to cut it or stretch it out Id go look for a compost, fox farm is so fortified with quality nutes many people dont even use fertz for a couple weeks I would also go with their nutes too and bubble it as in make a tea adding molasses for feeding good microbes/bacteria-its been working for me, this soil is made up in Humboldt county (Emerald Triangle) for 1 reason!

Thats the price of soil I been trying to find grow bags but I live in the stcks and nobody carries them. How big do the bag go. I was thinking about mixing with my compost. Got a 8 year old leave pile about 8 ft. tall that I rotatilled last year. Just worried about the bugs that come with it.

I am a fan of Somas Organic style purchased his book and followed the way he did his soil for a year, then I ran across Fox Farm Ocean Forrest and it was just as good if not better, it maybe cheaper to go with Soma's recipe as you will be making yourself but Fox Farm all ya got to do is open the bag-its very high quality, every serious organic grower in Ca is using it and I hear that its finally made its way to Colorado (Fox Farm products) I also understand there is another family run company out of Trinity county (also in the Emerald Triangle) making a soil but I never tried it and forget the name, in every Hydroponic/Grow shop in Ca carries it as it really is great soil and Ive tried everything such as Black Gold and that soil cant compare -Id recommend Ocean Forrest to any/everybody, I use it! you may want to Google it and find a location near you

I going to keep my eye out for that book thanx. The one I use for the soil recipebis Marijuana New School Outdoor Cultivation by Jeff Mowta. It has 2 1/2 pages on soil mixes and 2 pages of a chart that show the N P K of differnt organic additives. For an example feather meal (good nitrogen source)
14 0 0 chicken manure ( numbers vary, adds organic matter, makes a good fertilizer tea) 2 7 2

compost

if its just leaves and then being 8 yrs old? and never turned and airated I wouldnt use it-try to Google compost and compost bins, there are even short videos

as far as grow bags I also live in the sticks and moving to even a more secluded spot so those you may have to order online I found some 3 gal grow bags but that wont due for a outdoor grow, are you keeping your plants mobile and in containers? if not then just ammend the soil and put them in the ground that way 1 sack of compost will go a long way -actually bro prep your soil (ammend) it during the winter but now I would just add compost? every situation is different

Actually leaf mold, or just straight composted leaves, is a great soil ammendment. It is very good for soil structure. Not as good as real compost, but definitely not going to hurt.

Here's a link for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_mold

And if you don't plan on moving them around, definitely put them in the ground. The plants can then uptake nutrients and water from all the soil surrounding it, and is not just limited to what is in the container. Their roots won't be restrained, either. Water is the important one, though, plants in containers will not be able to handle dry spells anywhere close to as good as if they were in the ground.

compost

I understand that compost is decomposed but I would be careful of molds and then it being 8 yrs old? actually compost should be black and smell sweet but yeah it maybe good -it just didnt sound so great as it being 8 yrs old and never turned -just leaves but yeah I understand what your saying ...Gino

I feel you, too, Gino. Nothing beats real, fresh, compost. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk, and I'm glad that we can have good conversations on this board.

I've always said, "Never trust growing advice from someone who doesn't have a compost pile", haha!

The Rodale's Guide To Composting is one of my favorite books, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is more interested in the matter.

compost

no offense taken bro-I didnt think that was a jerk post at all, I was just worried maybe a newbie would come across and see "moldy leaves" and justify their mold-lol, Im sure you know what your doing or you wouldnt have posted what ya did

Actually leaf mold, or just straight composted leaves, is a great soil ammendment. It is very good for soil structure. Not as good as real compost, but definitely not going to hurt.

Here's a link for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_mold

And if you don't plan on moving them around, definitely put them in the ground. The plants can then uptake nutrients and water from all the soil surrounding it, and is not just limited to what is in the container. Their roots won't be restrained, either. Water is the important one, though, plants in containers will not be able to handle dry spells anywhere close to as good as if they were in the ground.

Yeah buckettes sux with the dry spells we get get for a month and half. I'm stuck running water back n forth every morning and after work if I think they need it.

Botanicare Cammo Buckets ( Collapsable )

Available In N.America Only As Far As I Know
Last Night Coldest Since 1996
JKP

Attachments

• 30 Gallon Cammo Growbag By Botanicare.jpg
    30 Gallon Cammo Growbag By Botanicare.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 8
Back