NHS Grow Stage 2 : Growing 4 clones for mother selection

Dogstar

Hi All,

This is a diary growing 4 clones taken from 4 of the 5 females so far identified in my NHS seed grow (see sig). To date 5 of 10 plants sexed are female. I was originally going to keep the best 3 females for selection but it is too early to judge the best 3, and more importantly nowhere near smokeable yet. There should be a keeper amongst this line-up.

I decided to start a new thread because the original grow of 15 seeds is not complete and the 5 outdoor plants have not been sexed or cuttings taken.

The cuttings were taken about 3 weeks ago, clonex into rockwool (old habit).

All cuttings survived; all but one of the males was culled.

The 4 clones are from NHS#2, 5, 6 and 8.

I will be potting them using West+ compost in 5" pots, probably later this week. They all have roots showing and have started to grow strongly.

They will be kept under 110w fluoro for the next few weeks. The plan is to veg them for 5-6 weeks, pruning/taking cuts along the way, and flower out 1 or 2 of each. I'm not sure whether to keep the present clones as potential mothers, or flower them and keep a cut back.

NHS_clones.jpg

Last edited:
Can I ask why you culled all but one male???? Was he stellar?

I try to use as many of the best males, as possible, to keep the genetic pool, as open as possible. Sometimes space is limited and I do understand this aspect. Just wondering bro. Not criticizing in any way. Your doing one hell of a job!!!!

Marlin.

Hi Marlin,

Limited space and resources, and I also already have males of Widow, Kali Mist, Bubblegum and Blueberry ready to mix it up with the same in females as well as SSH and Devil, so I'm going to be a bit busy as it is. I am trying to remember if I did indeed keep it now (I am loath to throw anything away).

I've just sown a SSH x Blueberry hack I made last year, and am very excited to see what happens with these seeds.

I've never really grown a number of males all the way through and compared, I usually keep the last male to show sex as long as it healthy; not very scientific but I am only a hobby hacker at most.

Here they are again, 4 weeks into 12/12.

Better late than never. I've taken 6 cuts off each before flowering.

I have been watching closely for signs of cross-dressing, but none found so far.

Two of these threw out balls on the first grow, which I put down to extreme light sensitivity.

NHS 5 and NHS 2

nh3_3_weeks.jpg

NHS 6 and NHS 8

nh3_3_weeks1.jpg

NHS 5 has the thickest, juiciest pistills I have ever seen - this one did not get a chance to shine in grow 1.

NHS 2 is developing large buds quickly.

NHS 8 has more budsites with a tighter growth pattern.

I'll be on ball-watch for another 5 or 6 weeks.

Last edited:
It is now 5 weeks 3 days, and I have found some balls on NHS#5 - just one per stem, about 4 per plant, all on the lower branches as before.

The lighting has been regular and the dark periods have been dark, so I think there might be a hermie problem with some NHS.

damn that was just the news that i did not want to hear
i am currently growing 4 from seed too
mine are in scrogg so gonna be hard to spot those balls

maybe shanti want to comment on those balls

goodluck with the rest of the grow

haze73

i just found male sacs on my plants too
i am now sure the plants are hermie since i never got this before
and everything is the same as before

is there a chance that the male sacs are sterile and therefore cant pollinate
or is this just wishfull thinking

mine are in scrog and i cant get to alle the branches to look for the male sacs

Sorry to read you had balls

Hello Dogstar ,

Such well grown plants , very sorry you had probs , was interested in this one , maybe the line will be reworked ?

peace :)

Well I haven't had any more problems and they are still growing very nicely 8 weeks into 12/12, so maybe it was a light issue - the plants that suffered were closest to the door...but no other strain has done this.

I'm going to grow my favorite 2 phenos next time and see what happens.

in my case they al have it some more then others
but i cant be the light in my case
i send a pm a to shanti aswell but he did not get back to me yet

they are sensitive buggers for sure

Hi,

I didn't get any more balls, and cropped them during week 11.

I have selected my mother now - NHS#2, which is easily the most vigorous and heaviest producer. I didn't find enough difference in effects between the 5/6 phenos to make a choice based on that.

Got a few growing here about 35 days into flower, no balls of any sort, pretty much in ideal conditions with no chance of light leaks for sure. One reminds me of the NHS #5 referred earlier with the crazy thick pistols. it's almost like the bud is just made of spaghetti. kinda neat.

BB

Darn- Another Hermie Report

Having Spent A Good Half Hour In My New Growroom With The Lights Off , I Am Assured I Have Zero Light Leaks.
The Four Early Haze I Started November 4 Are Showing No Signs Of Male Traits
I Recall Shanti Enquiring To A Past N.H.S Tester Who Experienced Hermie Problems And Asking A Few Questions
I Forget Whose Thread It Was Now .
Having Chosen The N.H.S @ The Dampkringstore.com I Was So Chuffed , And F.W.I.W , My Baby N.H.S Are Doing Well ( Bless ;) )
JKP

Two For The Price Of One ?

I Have Yet To Start My NHS Thread But Just Thought I'd Mention Good Value For Money.
OK, The 12/12 From Seed Was/Is An Experiment I'm Having Fun With And Is Flowering With Thick Pistils ( Like David Lettermans Dental Floss :eek:) And Next To It Grew A Runt I Feared Was A Hermi Or Something. I Tore It Out The Tray And Chucked It .
It Lay Overnight On The Floor Outside The Growroom And Upon Inspection Before Disposal I Noticed It Was A Siamese Twin ! . Without Any Pruning It Has Grown Two Necks At The First Internode.
It's Not Fused Like The Mutefruit I Once Grew ( It Did Very Well Eventually )
Anyways I Have Peplanted It And Put It Back In Veg
Despite Having Three Different MNS Hazes In Flower ( And A NHS ) This Little Baby Is My Favourite Plant Of 2010
Is It Because I'm A Freak Brothers Fan ?, I Don't Know
I Think It's The Unknown Genetic Mutation That Caused This One Plant
To My Understanding It's Not A Polyploid
Can Anyone Educate Me To What I've Got , And Why It Turned Out This Way?
Can A Single Seed Have Two Embryos ?
JKP:)

Attachments

• grapefruit001-Mutefruit.jpg
    grapefruit001-Mutefruit.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Mutefruit- Post Op.jpg
    Mutefruit- Post Op.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-2010feb2010_0326(263).jpg
    12-2010feb2010_0326(263).jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Middle N.H.S Female - Feb20.jpg
    Middle N.H.S Female - Feb20.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 9
  • N.H.S - Jan 24 - Stunted Or Runt.jpg
    N.H.S - Jan 24 - Stunted Or Runt.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 12-2010feb2010_0326(350).jpg
    12-2010feb2010_0326(350).jpg
    643 KB · Views: 6
  • Mommabentandstrategicalyplacedbone.jpg
    Mommabentandstrategicalyplacedbone.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Once-Twice-Four Times A Lady.jpg
    Once-Twice-Four Times A Lady.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 4
I'll Edit Some More Images Today.
Osh Be Gosh ; It's Cold Out There , Yet The Daddy's Girl Are Growing Outdoors On The Deck In My Anti Rabbit Cage cum Greenhouse
" Pictures @ 11 ":D
Oh , And No Evidence Of GirlyMans To Date;) ( I Mean So Far ):rolleyes:
lol.
JKP

I Have Yet To Start My NHS Thread But Just Thought I'd Mention Good Value For Money.
OK, The 12/12 From Seed Was/Is An Experiment I'm Having Fun With And Is Flowering With Thick Pistils ( Like David Lettermans Dental Floss :eek:) And Next To It Grew A Runt I Feared Was A Hermi Or Something. I Tore It Out The Tray And Chucked It .
It Lay Overnight On The Floor Outside The Growroom And Upon Inspection Before Disposal I Noticed It Was A Siamese Twin ! . Without Any Pruning It Has Grown Two Necks At The First Internode.
It's Not Fused Like The Mutefruit I Once Grew ( It Did Very Well Eventually )
Anyways I Have Peplanted It And Put It Back In Veg
Despite Having Three Different MNS Hazes In Flower ( And A NHS ) This Little Baby Is My Favourite Plant Of 2010
Is It Because I'm A Freak Brothers Fan ?, I Don't Know
I Think It's The Unknown Genetic Mutation That Caused This One Plant
To My Understanding It's Not A Polyploid
Can Anyone Educate Me To What I've Got , And Why It Turned Out This Way?
Can A Single Seed Have Two Embryos ?
JKP:)

i have had 2 plant from the same seed afew times in the past joe its not that uncomon. the smallest is useualy a bad runt that just never seems to wont to grow:(. had a few siamese plant as u call them i dont think they were all siamese but some were more a weak plant in a stong seed that defored in germanation cause of the long gemanation time imoa. in a grow room they they dont grow as fast as the normal plant and becouse of this dont perdice if you just leave then in. if u can give it a bit of extra veg time they can be a nice bushy clump of bud. the police took a small siamese lowriderxskunk i had growing for outdoor this year the other week when they raided me:(. was less than half the size of the others. have you had any seedlings with 3 seed leafs yet joe? used to get a few in nlxh bag seeds when i first started growing. some revert back to normal and some keep perdicing 3 arm side by side on the stem insted of 2. cutting just grow single arms on the stem like most cutting though. my mate had one last year in his early durban. verry cool extra arm ever internode to increase you yield. bag seeds give you some real feaks at times.:D

Three Leafs ? Trifoliates ?
I Do Strip My Plants During Flowering But Have Never Attempted To Manipulate A Plant Other Than By Bending Or Force Flowering
The NHS Is Going Centre Stage On My Deck In A 65 Litre Tub;)
And I Hope To Have Something As Sexy As Bobby Digitals This Year;)
Nice Dream.:rolleyes:
The Plant Pictured Next To The Rottie Is The Same Mutefruit On It's Fourth And Final Grow .
It Stabilised Itself Somehow

Heres The Same Turkish , But In Dwarf Form
And Some Lowryders ( Automatics )
I Was All Geared Up For Some Automatic Fun , But Have Been Let Down From My Old Stomping Grounds ; adanaC By Frownmaker
Oh Well .
Joe

Attachments

• 3155LR- one and two- june nightshot- Round.jpg
    3155LR- one and two- june nightshot- Round.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Ali Baba- Summer Solstice.jpg
    Ali Baba- Summer Solstice.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Ali Baba Stretch.jpg
    Ali Baba Stretch.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 8
  • Force Flowered Fez- June 25.jpg
    Force Flowered Fez- June 25.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Lowryder One And LR2-2007.jpg
    Lowryder One And LR2-2007.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 1
  • Bend A Lowryder - Mad.jpg
    Bend A Lowryder - Mad.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Bend For Stealth- Turkish Deck2008.jpg
    Bend For Stealth- Turkish Deck2008.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 11
  • RomStar In Veg.jpg
    RomStar In Veg.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 4
Ali Baba Changed My Mind

Could'nt Help It ; 10 More Turkish Seeds In A Shot Glass
Ali Baba Was A Single Leafed Plant That Just Swelled Up ( Almost Like It Had Been Given Niagra !! )
Very Tough & Hardy
Anyways , Sorry if I Am Distracting from The N.H.S
F.Y.I ; The Government Are Changing The N.H.S To The N.C.S ( National Care Service )
I Wonder If Shanti Knew That ?:D
Joe

Back