New Strain Of Medicinal Marijuana Announced (CBD)

Glad to see Cannabinoids discussed on this forum. Some breeders have reported THC over 20%, and CBD/CBN/CBG over 1%. Will be testing these claims this season. I wish more breeders were confident to post these statistics.

Perhaps you do not need to give up THC to achieve Cannabinoid relaxing affects from an F1?

@Namaskar
The scientifically accepted test (also in courts) is with Grs Chromatography. Thin layer chromatography (TLC) is interesting for qualitative but not quantitative measurements.
The issue with Gas Chromatography is not the machine (pretty much available in any decent lab) but the standard necessary to calibrate the machine to test for cannabinoids (pure THC; therefore a controlled substrance). In Europe this would be a potential supplier:
http://tinyurl.com/25vsub

Actually GC/MS should be accepted and not GC alone since CBD & CBC has pretty much the same reference time.Mistakes were made in the past which they thought they had found CBD what actually was CBC.
The TLC-test what normally is used for identification was evaluated by the university of Leiden (Arno Hazekamp).
You can better make the standards by your own.;)

Namaste :D

you are right Namaskar - and GC/MS is better (still not a legal standard!), especially when it comes to identifying terpenoids (though again the standard references are the issue).

I did try a few times the the callayse TLC but I was not too happy:
http://www.mygrowshop.com/shop/cannalysefingerprintthctestkit50tes-p-1403.html

Univ. Leiden you mention said more than once that they were going to publish "revolutionary" info based on their studies on TLC but until now we've heard more claims than read papers. The issue being that the standard GC heats up the material and therefore destoys and/or modifies the samples before you can actually measure its cannabinoid content.

Producing your own THC starndard: how? even if you extract THC from plant material with butane gas (honey bee oil) and then purify it with alcohol you get a 85% THC sample, far from being the 99.9% you need for the machine. Or you have a dirty trick to share with us?

later
admini

Hey guys, very interesting topic indeed. Something that I have been following closely myself.

But just a quick one for you Admini. You can extract to near on 99% with DiChloroMethane (used in the decaffeination of coffee process).

Once you have got your oil add alcohol as if your to extract further, and indeed do to a certain degree. But before the extract becomes sticky you add an amount of DCM and continue to evaporate off the alcohol.

What you are then left with is a white precipitate that is DCM + THC. All then that needs to be done is to heat the precipitate in an evaporating dish and this melts and evaporates off the DCM leaving almost pure THC. Over the 96% mark and upto 100% depending on further refinments.

This THC obviously has no real consumable properties. It would need to be mixed back with an alcohol or alike. But for lab use this is perfect - to a degree.

Sounds Almost Too Good To Be True

To Be Able To Replace Morphine With A Special Strain Of Cannabis Would Change My Whole Way Of Life.
It's Strange I Am Proud To Wave And Shout From The Rooftops My Love Of An Illegal Substance , Yet At The Same Time feel Very Stigmatised ( Not To Mention Confused By It's Side Effects ) At Using Morphine .
This News Is Promising As It Gives A Ray Of Hope That I'll Someday Be Able To Switch Medications Without Any Suffering ( Withdrawl/ Seiziures , Etc )
In The Meantime I'll Be Giving The MNS N.H.S My Full Attention :)
JKP

I Heard Decaffeinated Coffee Is Worse For You Than Caffeinated Coffee And That Decaffeinated Coffee Could Even Be A Carcinogen .
Just Like Artificial Sugar And Other Alternatives
They Are Worse Than What They Were Trying To Replicate
Just My Thruppeneth Hay Penny
JKP

hi all
Producing your own THC starndard: how? even if you extract THC from plant material with butane gas (honey bee oil) and then purify it with alcohol you get a 85% THC sample, far from being the 99.9% you need for the machine.
hey admini
here is a nice relevant thread on bho purification with ethanol

the results may not be pure enough for accurate calibration in the lab but it can certainly be considered as your own THC standard ;)

check out the pix:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388

Last edited:
Hm... we tried a few times with similar methods and got to 85% THC (analyzed with GC).

also about decaf: Hag uses CO2 supercritical fluids, much safer anyway in terms of residues. Great extraction method indeed (also works perfectly for extracting the resin from buds).

but thx for your input, worth giving it another try soon... I'll let you know :rolleyes:

later
admini

last comment of the day on this discussion about THC %....

Let's take an example we should all be familiar with because of the legality of the product: alcohol % in drinks.

Nobody wants to drink 100% alcohol while socializing with friends. A beer is usually a great drink to start with (and only contains 5% alcohol). Also with dope, starting from a mild strains is the best way to build up the effect of Cannabis, especially considering that cannabinoids allow users/patients to self-titrate, therefore stop inhaling more puffs once they feel they had enough...

Then you can refine your product and reach the 40% alcohol, just like in whiskey and tequila.
In this case, its interesting to point out that the buzz you get from drinking only whiskey or only tequila is indeed different: while they both have the same alcohol percentage, the other molecules contained in the different drinks modify the alteration effect we get from the alcohol itself.
Similarly, Cannabis strains that have a similar THC percentage (most commercial THC strains contain an average15% THC) do have different psycho-active effects because of the other molecules contained in their resin. Those could be other cannabinoids (like the CBD we are discussing here, not psychoactive by itself...) but especially the terpenoids, aka the essential oil of the plant.

The highest THC percentages in "bud" samples (therefore no extracted products like hash, ice-o-lator, ...) is somewhere around 26% THC. The plants reaching those levels are usually giving small harvests (weight) and are quite weak when it comes to reacting to plant illnesses.

Those that have tried good Critical Mass from MNS (usually testing an average 16% depending on growing conditions) know that it's just enough and after 3 puffs you are likely to pass that joint.

So is it really a quest for "which strain has the highest THC %" ? This seems to be a widespread issue on web forums, which I personally find not so interesting.

Just my 2 cents,

admini

Hey admini

nice comparison ;)

BTW the greatest problem for me as a smoker who is also a grower (self sufficient) is not the THC % but....tolerance built up.

If I haven't smoked for a while (4-5days+) almost any bud even low thc strains (<5%THC) can get me quite high , even wasted if I smoke enough..But when I smoke all day for long periods , like for over a month , even a 26% THC bud will not be able to do much to me and I will find it hard for myself to get high.

So I really wonder which are the resin compounds (or combinations) that are responsible for the tolerance built up. Do you happen to have any info on this ?

Strains like c99 can give a really strong high but after a while of use its really hard to get high at all. Since you mentioned CMass , which more or less is a line made for commercial production, well if I haven't smoked for sometime 3 hits will pretty much do the job like you said..but if thats all you got to smoke after long term constant use it feels quite unpotent. Same goes for many if not most strains out there and my goal is to find strains that produce plants that not only have the high profile/flavor I like, but also have almost no ceiling to the high as well as show almost zero tolerance built up over time even with heavy daily constant use.
Several of the haze hybrid lines from MNS seem to be good at all that and the higher the haze percentage the better since the other lines used in the crosses like Skunk seem to not really fit the bill when it comes to tolerance built up.Of course each person has different body chemistry so things can vary from person to person.

BTW I was wondering do you happen to know how samples are prepared for THC % testing ? I mean are for example whole trimmed buds ground up ? Are the most frosty buds selected/chosen?

As a grower in order to compare different strain efficiency I believe apart from measuring THC% in dry trimmed bud, you would also weight the whole plant whole after drying it (with all stems/stalks/leaves still on) and see how much THC is produced per gram of dried biomass.

ps To avoid tolerance built up its best to use different cannabinoid profiles or combinations . Strains with lower THC content than other lines may show less tolerance built up over time so THC% does not mean much on its own. Best strains from a grower+smoker point of view are those that produce high bud to leaf/stem ratio , have lots of THC , high or no ceiling to the high and show minimum tolerance built up.

Last edited:
look at this
some strains like nlxhaze and critical have a thc content of like 35% and 44% what the hell?
is that right?
see for urself this is from the link above

lmfao! hawaiian snow tested @ 13.4%

13.4% isnt that bad but com' on!

I thought arjan claimed 23%?

I've always wondered if the man just pulled those numbers out of his ass.

One thing I always wanted to know is are the percentages by weight? So if something tests for 13% is that sample 13% by weight pure thc? Or does it mean 13% of the essential oil? If somethings tests for 25% thc does that mean that if you had 20 grams that 5 of those grams is pure THC?

Last edited:
leet is a certain amount required when testing? or is it relative as long as the weights the same with every sample?
sorry im very new to all this.... much of the testing products and what not im hearing about for the first time here so.

Gertbfrow-arjan refutes the claims and has independent scientist and test trials and data and lawyers to prove it.

shanti- im very happy to hear ur again leading the way into the future. I have many patients who Im sure would love the kind of plants ur talking about. testing would be alot of fun, and i will stay tuned, but even if i have to buy, it will be well worth it for me to have these strains. As Jkp said, a strain that could replace morphine... well thats downright revolutionary.

Last edited:
leet is a certain amount required when testing? or is it relative as long as the weights the same with every sample?

I haven't done any tests myself so I don't know if there is a specific minimum amount required when testing. I m sure it will depend on the method used for measuring/testing though.

Producing your own THC starndard: how? even if you extract THC from plant material with butane gas (honey bee oil) and then purify it with alcohol you get a 85% THC sample, far from being the 99.9% you need for the machine. Or you have a dirty trick to share with us?

later
admini

My apology for the delay.You have to find a variety with a single cannabinoid and there are some like the Thai, what i have seen with TLC test.DCM would i not use cuz it is tricky stuff to work with, especially for your airways.It is very volatile and perhaps cancerous.

First you dissolve the material (pure honey bee oil) in acetone (very volatile) and then you put a certain amount of petroleumether (99%) in the acetone and mix it to get the THC out of the acetone.I have to look it up the amount you need.I'll be back.:D

Namaste

hey all

sinsemilla13 - I agree with you but you are moving into a lab - I meant home-made pure extract ;) and I keep my idea of it reaching 85% - with all respect to others opinion....

L33t - Canna at spannabis was asking for 1gr samples but was working with 150mg of "crushed" material selected from the center of the bud (small quantities anyway for GC - that weas the point :)

nice thread indeed...!

all the best
admini

L33t - Canna at spannabis was asking for 1gr samples but was working with 150mg of "crushed" material selected from the center of the bud (small quantities anyway for GC - that weas the point :)

Hey admini,

I think that there should be a standard for giving THC% claims. If these companies are using similar testing techniques as they were as admini mentioned at spannabis then it is a very rough ballpark figure.

I'm sure I could find the very best nug out of a few pounds and have it tested. I think if a seed company is going to publish claims on their seed's thc%'s then there should be a set international standard for testing.

Perhaps taking a fully harvested plant, taking every bud including crap and trim, grind all the material then put the grounded cannabis and put into a industrial mixer thats measured. Then take the middle portion of the mixed powderized cannabis to test.

I think that 98% of the majority of ppl that believe thc% claims think that its a reflection of what the overall percentage of the final cured product.

When I originally say hawaiian snow's 24% or whatever percentage I was under the impression that buds from hawaiian snow were 24%.

Not that the very finest nug ever grown for the specific purpose of testing, tested at 24%.

Last edited:
hell yeah! a percentage is never really rocket scince (its no unit like a gram or meter...).

but of course the sample needs to be representative of a plant (bud from the middle - average size of plan'ts buds) and no doubts there will be variations in THC % concentration in buds from the top and bottom of the same plant, especially due to variations in light/shade exposure during the flowering phase.

Check the 'Phytochemical analysis' paragraph in this link for more:
http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/59/15/4171

Later
ad

" The Dutch Authorities Prefer Strains To Be Under 30%

From An Article By Homegrown Fantaseed Regarding Their Claimed 29% THC Blue Mystic :rolleyes:
I'll Find The Article That Goes Into Some Detail On The Dutch Medical Scene.
GW / Pharmastaat ( Flin-Flon, Manitoba , Canada ) Grow Medicinal Cannabis That Contains 6.5-7.5 % T.H.C For The Prescription Market.
Probably The Reason Medi Growers Continue To Grow Your Own Stone ( My Very First Book :))
I Just Dag Up A 2007 Catalogue By A Then 20 Year Old Seed Company . It Has The THC/CBD Ratios Included And I Was Suprised At A Few Strains I Had Tried Were 8-10% THC , Yet They Truly Got Me Out Of It.
Comparing Higher ( 18-20% T.H.C ) Strains I Have Sampled , I Noticed They All Had Lower Stated CBD Levels
Anyhoo , I'll Find A Link To The Article
JKP:)

Back