More Hermie Issues

So in the interest of fairness, i wanted to come back and update on the rest of the crop.

They did, to quote musashi, 'stay in their lane'. I chopped them at 9 weeks (a week too early imho but the weather was closing in on me and room starting to get too hot). The sharkshock and the critical widow are very nice! There is some randomness and one or two weak phenos but overall i am very happy with the results. Ive found a seed or two but most of the crop is fine.

I will run Critical Widow again, i will run more of my Mr Nice beans in future, i might even eventually run the rest of the sharkshock despite the hermie issue as the bud is very nice and probably beats the CW.

I would like to apologise if my attitude at the time of posting upset anyone. I was having a bad time at the time and the hermie and the thought of losing the crop sent me over edge.

someone asked for info about my setup but i didnt come to read the replies at the time so its a little late but they were run all organic in soil with biobizz feeds under a 600w HPS.
yay! you came back!!!!! I am happy to hear of your happy harvest! she was probably a lil root constricted, or a light P feeder. high phosphorus and small pots are large contributors to this problem I have found.

I checked over the remaining plants last night. No bananas on 9 plants . Checked over the Hermie found bananas on many spots. Most of the remaining 9 look ok but I can see some spots that look seeded. The Hermie wasn't budding up as nice as the others the buds it has are scrawny, I should have took that as a cue to check it closer earlier.

Ive grown about 200 plants since 2006. I've had hermie issues twice. Once in the past with temps too high. This time everything spot on .

And you guys will still convince yourself it cant be the genetics despite multiple reports of it happening with seeds from that time period all over the internet. I know that because that's what I did when I read those reports before I grew this.

The critical widow look nice by the way. It will be a shame if they are seeded. Especially as I need to stop growing for summer and it will be all the bud I have till Xmas.
It definitely happens, but mostly just on lower branches, don't think I've ever seen a nanner high up on a MNS plant. The lower fluffy branches it definitely happens. I'm sure some of the newer strains are a little more hardy just because all the mother and father plants here are from the 90's. Makes perfectly good sense that breeding for hardier and hardier plants for the last 25 years you will eventually have some breeders succeed in creating a hardier plant or Luther Burbank is a fraud and my life is a lie!! Lol

But overall the genetics are pretty good, not really anything as stinky as some of the stinkiest strains today, but the potency is on point and there's some nice flavors.

It definitely happens, but mostly just on lower branches, don't think I've ever seen a nanner high up on a MNS plant. The lower fluffy branches it definitely happens. I'm sure some of the newer strains are a little more hardy just because all the mother and father plants here are from the 90's. Makes perfectly good sense that breeding for hardier and hardier plants for the last 25 years you will eventually have some breeders succeed in creating a hardier plant or Luther Burbank is a fraud and my life is a lie!! Lol

But overall the genetics are pretty good, not really anything as stinky as some of the stinkiest strains today, but the potency is on point and there's some nice flavors.

they have the T8 equivalent LED bars now, that put out like 10w per 4 feet. those could be really useful as lower lighting on plants that do that. I have been led to believe plants that do that on the lowers only needed more light down there to prevent it.

@furtive, Hey brother, I just stumbled upon this while looking for info on Critical Mass/ Black Widow crosses. What else can you say about it? Thanks :)

@furtive, Hey brother, I just stumbled upon this while looking for info on Critical Mass/ Black Widow crosses. What else can you say about it? Thanks :)

They werent anything special to be honest. Got the job done. I have nearly a gram of the seeds left, with me only growing 12-18 plants a year, cant see me ever growing them out.

sorry for very late reply lol.

Last edited:
So i am a glutton for punishment...

I decided to do the rest of the sharkshock pack.

Got 4 females. Week 5 finished yesterday. Today i once again cut down a very badly intersex plant! :confused:

Its exactly the same as last time, 5 weeks in, nanas everywhere. The plant has a fair bit less buds than the rest both times.

Now to be fair, under the microscope it has a lot of trichs and many are already turning cloudy. So even at 5 weeks it looks like it will do something.

Also the other 3 plants look good. If they dont herm i might get a good mother there.

But to be honest, Im really dissapointed. Something that is described "The most successful breed of the late 90's. ", having two badly interesex plants in a pack isnt really acceptable, and has soured my desire to grow out the other 200+ Mr Nice seeds i have sat in the fridge.

Last edited:
Let me guess...pollen sacks appear around week 4/6 in flo on lower branches not top located ?
At least that's what i witnessed.

Got 4 females. Week 5 finished yesterday. Today i once again cut down a very badly intersex plant! :confused:

Its exactly the same as last time, 5 weeks in, nanas everywhere. The plant has a fair bit less buds than the rest both times.

Now to be fair, under the microscope it has a lot of trichs and many are already turning cloudy. So even at 5 weeks it looks like it will do something.

Also the other 3 plants look good. If they dont herm i might get a good mother there.

But to be honest, Im really dissapointed. Something that is described "The most successful breed of the late 90's. ", having two badly interesex plants in a pack isnt really acceptable, and has defintely soured my desire to grow out the other 200+ Mr Nice seeds i have sat in the fridge.

Hey Furtive stay at the Bright side of the force 🙏 Try be positive🙌 I know that is really unpleasant and frustrating what happens to you I feel your pain I really do believe me .

MImedpatient
Give very good answers to this problem.

I would like to add also that are many the factors that can trigger hermafrodism. One can be the sharckshock is more sensitive.
From the information I collected online and from experience Skunk # 1 has high probabilities to herm. Shit does also herm in past in few reports. Is part of the game as almost all the plants can turn to Herm. Is hard to find a real female or real male .

It can be trigered from the positioning of the plant under the light especially if you use led lights with permanent far red can really trigger hermis very aggressively I saw it more than one time.
Some plants cant tolerate the led spectrum if is to near for them . Is us we need to observe and from our fails learn and understand what went wrong in our experiments .
I would not blame MNS genetics so easy

Most of the people in this site have different experiences with the seeds from MNS .

Have a great day 🙌
SaveTheBrains

But to be honest, Im really dissapointed. Something that is described "The most successful breed of the late 90's. ", having two badly interesex plants in a pack isnt really acceptable, and has defintely soured my desire to grow out the other 200+ Mr Nice seeds i have sat in the fridge.
Have you grown any other strains of MNS before and if so what was your outcome? let me know all the best Sb

Let me guess...pollen sacks appear around week 4/6 in flo on lower branches not top located ?
At least that's what i witnessed.

This is all over. Plant had multiple tops. I noticed one very prominent nana this morning then upon further inspection found several in each top. I probably should have noticed earlier really but im in loft so the room is awkward to access and this plant was at the back corner.

I would like to add also that are many the factors that can trigger hermafrodism.

Between the plant that hermied at 4.5 weeks in April 2021 and this one now i have flowered 18 plants in this room with no problems. Out of about 30 plants flowered in the room since i started using it 2 have hermied 18 months apart. Both Shark Shock. Lets not go round all the reasons you can get a hermie again, you can just click page 1 for that. ( not having a go at you personally its just that i think this is genetic).

Have you grown any other strains of MNS before and if so what was your outcome? let me know all the best Sb

Ive grown G13x Skunk and Medicine man in the past. Both were nice. Also did Shit and thought that was mediocre to be honest.

I lost some SSH and other strains when a friends dad trashed his room in around 2009. Spent a fair few quid on those.

I bought these shark shock from your auctions around 2012-13. Spent a few hundred quid at that time. I still have most of the seeds because i couldnt grow from 2014-2020.

I also have two MK x Skunk in this grow along with the remaining sharks. They look nice. The smell of one is reminiscent of the medicine man to me.

Last edited:
This is all over. Plant had multiple tops. I noticed one very prominent nana this morning then upon further inspection found several in each top. I probably should have noticed earlier really but im in loft so the room is awkward to access and this plant was at the back corner.

Between the plant that hermied at 4.5 weeks in April 2021 and this one now i have flowered 18 plants in this room with no problems. Out of about 30 plants flowered in the room since i started using it 2 have hermied 18 months apart. Both Shark Shock. Lets not go round all the reasons you can get a hermie again, you can just click page 1 for that. ( not having a go at you personally its just that i think this is genetic).

Yeah maybe you are bit of rude. But is ok I understand ;).
You cant just claim genetic issue the examples that you are presenting dosent justify your statements. out of 18 seeds is just 2 hermies is not a big deal really.

Have a great day :)

-SaveTheBrains

Just expressing my frustration. I have limited room and just lost 1/6th of my eventual yield due to these seeds for the second time in 18 months.

i was doing everything to tress the plants to god/hot Too much Mater/no watter No nuts/nuts To small Pots/bigger Pots and 3-4 Month in a 0.5L pots even less as theyárent full and no hermy nothing im impresst with the msn genetic so fas

Odd that 98% of the plants ive grown in there are fine with it then..

i have also the same thing with the g13widow ( test version) all girls become guys only this strain doing that in my environement i have run a lot before but sometimes a strain was sensible maybe your light, your temperature or your wind the plant dont like when all the plant turn like that is environemental problem

I just grew out 10 shark shock and out of 7 females I only had one throw nanners really late in flower, I'd probably taken it a bit too long. I have 2 strong keeper females that I'm growing again at the moment, I can't fault the genetics at all. Sorry to hear you had issues with them!

So again im back in the interest of fairness (proper deja vu in here lol).

The plants come down in a few days i have already sampled some 8 week popcorn sharkshock and MKS buds. They are top notch. Im going to be keeping these. One shark is done in 8 and very tasty and strong.

Im happy in the end in the end despite the stress of the hermie.

Back